Games you dislike that everyone loves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overwatch
TF2
Team Fortress 2/Overwatch
Pyro%20is%20Upset_zpsjc5mdx5v.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyrim - I enjoy The Elder Scrolls but I don't care for Skyrim. Why do so many people care for it? Everytime I ask why people greet me with "THE STORY AND GAMEPLAY". The gameplay is alright...not the best? Also, the story? So fucking cliche. Dragons are extinct, dragonborn are extinct. You are an unknown character with nothing going for you besides a mix up that is going to cost your life. SUDDENLY DRAGONS! WHAT? THEY ARE EXTINCT! HOLY FUCK, THIS RANDOM IS THE DRAGONBORN!. So on and so forth. So like....what story?

Final Fantasy 7 - I use to enjoy playing the game...but because of how it has been boosted to the levels of "best final fantasy" has made me start to dislike the game. I enjoy Final Fantasy 4 and 6 more.

I thought I had more, but nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

Kingdom Hearts series. Disney just totally ruins for me. I can't do it. Believe me, I've tried.
Undertale
Overwatch
GTA
TF2
Three of these I agree with and it's a MASSIVE relief to finally find someone who agrees (Especially on Disney ruining Kingdom Hearts).

The other two just want to make me cry though... :'(
Oh, I was mostly referring to the consistency of the Pokemon games compared to Digimon games. o3o

As far as the main series games are concerned, Pokemon always play by the same rules. Aside from a few exceptions, a Pokemon's typing doesn't change. The requirements for their existing evolutions don't change (although new ones are sometimes added). The general way that Pokemon level up and learn new moves doesn't change. Breeding mechanics don't really change. Type advantages don't change. Etc. Some moves are nerfed or buffed over time, but, in general, the power/accuracy/effects of most moves remain very consistent. Same with a Pokemon's stats. New Pokemon moves, species, etc are continuously added, but the old ones stay mostly the same.

This means it's easy for knowledge from one game to transfer into another. You can memorize types and type advantages, evolution requirements, etc, and be rewarded for it. Instead of really enjoying one Pokemon game, you can really enjoy the Pokemon series as a whole -- because, if you know how to play one main series game, you essentially know how to play all of them. Players can still enjoy exploring new regions, and seeing new Pokemon species, etc, but they don't need to re-learn the core gameplay, because that's something that players already know and love.

Digimon, on the other hand? It's all over the place. Sure, you usually have an Agumon that can digivolve into a Greymon at some point in time, but, Digimon's equivalents of type categories, moves, evolution lines... much of it is completely re-made with every game. And the core gameplay is often so different that it's hard to really compare requirements for things like evolutions, as well. Nothing is consistent. This makes it hard to get a feel for the games like you can with Pokemon, where, once you become familiar with the rules for a species, those rules will hardly ever change. In Digimon, not only do the rules change, but those rules can actually confuse you from game to game, and make it more difficult to remember certain aspects of the game -- unlike in Pokemon, where it becomes real easy to remember things like starters because it's just such a tried and true formula.

Digimon's an easy example to compare with, but, really, I see this as a strength for Pokemon in general -- especially since, outside of the main series games, Pokemon does have titles that are more experimental and do play with the rules in order to change up the gameplay -- things like Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon XD, Stadium, and even Pokemon Go all fall into this category. The side games are there if you want something different -- the main series games are there so that you have something familiar to come back to.

Of course, I totally understand if this sort of thing doesn't match someone's personal tastes -- but, I still think there's good reason why, in general, this repetitiveness works out fairly well for the series.
That... Sounds like the same defence for titles like Call of Duty honestly.

The design of Call of Duty is fine, great even. But I cannot justify shelling out 60 dollars every year for changes so minor it shouldn't even constitute as DLC.
Pokemon meanwhile has been hitting the same camp for me lately, the changes are just too minor for me to justify buying every new game.
You get mad at her for saying it but not me? :P
Knights of the Old Republic - I mean I don't dislike to the point I won't play it? I really enjoy the story and the character interactions, but the combat just bores my mind to death. Jade Empire imo is the best Bioware game.
Assuming you mean 1 and 2 and not the MMO, this is likely because Kotor uses simplified D&D 3.5 mechancis. So you'd need a fondness to playing D&D, without the roleplaying nor the community aspect to get into the gameplay side of it.

How... how dare you?

;__;

It's extremely rare for me to even touch games nowadays, but I can't seem to not return to Dishonored every once in awhile. Too infatuated with especially the lore and ambience — I must have a few hundred hours.

Trust me, I WANT to enjoy the game. D: I'll probably go back to it when I'm bored and give it another shot. Kind of like Alien: Isolation, I had a bit more fun with it when I knocked it down to normal difficulty.

Dark Souls.
Just watching gameplay for this series always made me wonder what the appeal is. It seems like 60% of combat is rolling around on the ground in plate armour trying not to get hit by the most rudimentary AI system since Pong.

Games I seriously can't comprehend why people like them
  1. Everything Mario (Except for Paper Mario and Smash games)
  2. World of Warcraft (Not so much WoW itself. But why people are so attached to it when so many superior and cheaper MMO's have now been released)
  3. Kingdom Hearts (I get why it's good at the core... But I don't get how people tolerate all the ham fisted Disney content)
  4. The Majority of Platformers
  5. Any of 343's Halo Content
  6. The practically non-existant change of Pokemon Games (The games themselves are fine. But it's minute change per title at best, and the removal of features at worst. And then the players willingness to ignore it completely cause Nostalgia boggles my mind).
I'll say why I like the ones listed/ reasons why I think people like some of the other ones.

1. I love Mario games. It's a series that has instantly identifiable aesthetics, and even outside of nostalgia and the fact Super Mario Bros. on the NES was the very first game I've ever played, they're solid games that have incredible level design, fun enemies, and you get a real sense of progress in even a short amount of time. Honestly, I can't stress how fantastic the level design in Mario games are; especially in the newer games where they can be a lot more creative with introducing new ideas and challenges, each level starts off with that idea in a safe area so you can get used to the concept (say, platforms that flip any time you jump initially having ground underneath so you don't fall to your death) before putting that challenge in a perilous situation, and gradually increasing it until the end of the level where it's a real test of your skill and likely is incorporating ideas from the other levels. Given that it only takes a few minutes to clear most Mario levels, it's a very quick progression you probably don't notice, but when you fuck up and die, it doesn't feel unfair.

That and it's one of those few couch coop titles that are a riot to play through.

2. Because a lot of people have been with the game since it launched in I think 2004 and grew up with it. You make some real friends playing that game, and you invest thousands of hours into a game that really means something to you. People get invested in the lore, the quality of level and dungeon design, and each expansion often completely changes how the game plays so it's never been stagnant. Say what you will about the game, and I say this as someone who's never owned a Blizzard title, Blizzard's post-release support and content has always been fantastic. With a lot of MMOs, their communities either don't last or the endgame gets stale and there's not a lot of support. I used to play Guild Wars 2 (stopped because I'm not an MMO guy and exploring by yourself or with a friend or two gets boring after a while), and it's been out for I think 6 years now? There's only been one expansion pack, and I seriously don't know anybody who's stuck with the game that long. Meanwhile, I can name off the top of my head about 5 or 6 people who still play WoW regularly.

3. People love Disney and people love Square Enix Final Fantasy-style RPGs. It's like one of those concepts that shouldn't work, like peanut butter on a hamburger, but totally does for a lot of people; it's like something they never knew they needed until they saw it. I've never played the title, but considering one of my favorite games of all time was a Square title (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars), I can imagine each game is a hell of a treat for fans.

4. I disliked Halo 4... it was a serviceable game, but I felt the story was weak and I hated a lot of the character and enemy redesigns but holy shit, it was a beautiful game.

I actually really liked Halo 5. Didn't play the multiplayer a whole bunch, but the campaign kept me engaged and the Promeathans did not feel nearly as annoying this time around. Plus, Nathan Fillion.

It playing at 60 frames per second and having some pretty impressive visuals for a console is also a good selling point.

6. It's been a thing that's kept me from playing a lot of Pokemon games, as well. I only own Red and Black versions, and I do love them, but I can't really justify playing through all of them because it's just too similar; Black felt VERY close to Red with some understandable progression in technology and scope.

However, with the new versions, I'm going to pick it up. There seems to be enough new features and changes (the free form navigation that isn't top down is a big point of interest, as is that adorable fucker owl) that I really want to give it a go.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't seem to like Dark Souls. >.>

Another game that came to my mind that I didn't really like is FFX. I'm not sure why. It might be the story, or maybe the charaters. They just didn't really appeal to me.

Then again, I love FFXII that everyone seems to hate sooo I may just be the weird one.

I fucking love the TF2 comics. I don't even play TF2 that much, but the comics are amazing.

Skyrim - I enjoy The Elder Scrolls but I don't care for Skyrim. Why do so many people care for it? Everytime I ask why people greet me with "THE STORY AND GAMEPLAY". The gameplay is alright...not the best? Also, the story? So fucking cliche. Dragons are extinct, dragonborn are extinct. You are an unknown character with nothing going for you besides a mix up that is going to cost your life. SUDDENLY DRAGONS! WHAT? THEY ARE EXTINCT! HOLY FUCK, THIS RANDOM IS THE DRAGONBORN!. So on and so forth. So like....what story?

Final Fantasy 7 - I use to enjoy playing the game...but because of how it has been boosted to the levels of "best final fantasy" has made me start to dislike the game. I enjoy Final Fantasy 4 and 6 more.

I thought I had more, but nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

I love Skyrim, just like I loved Oblivion before it. Wonderful worlds to explore and a real sense of freedom and development for what kind of character you want to be. Honestly, I'm not going to try to defend the story because it felt very paint by numbers and generic for reasons you mentioned (I actually have only only played through the story twice out of about 8 characters), but there's definitely some gold in the side questions and a real sense of wonder. Sometimes it's little things like finding out why some cows are painted up in weird designs out in the middle of nowhere with a farmer (turns out their offerings to the giants), or running across the giant who isn't hostile because he's mourning his dead mammoth, or the old orc that challenges you to a fight to the death because for his culture, dying in combat pleases his god and he wants to go out on his own terms, and countless more little things like that that just tell little stories on their own that you may or may not ever see when you play; it makes the world feel alive.

Plus, some of the scenery is genuinely jaw dropping. First time I stepped into Blackreach or the Forgotten Vale and it really immersed me in the whole fantasy thing.

I'm not going to say Skyrim's perfect by any means, but it's a game I love and cherish and have sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into without getting bored of it.

As for the character, I'm kind of glad they're pretty much a blank slate; I can turn them into who I want them to be and I come up with little backstories for each of them and personalities and play them all quite differently from one another. The game is pretty damn awesome for the fact it doesn't really force you to do anything or be someone in particular. With mod support, you can even completely avoid the main quest and just pretend to be a bandit for all you care.

1. I love Mario games. It's a series that has instantly identifiable aesthetics, and even outside of nostalgia and the fact Super Mario Bros. on the NES was the very first game I've ever played, they're solid games that have incredible level design, fun enemies, and you get a real sense of progress in even a short amount of time. Honestly, I can't stress how fantastic the level design in Mario games are; especially in the newer games where they can be a lot more creative with introducing new ideas and challenges, each level starts off with that idea in a safe area so you can get used to the concept (say, platforms that flip any time you jump initially having ground underneath so you don't fall to your death) before putting that challenge in a perilous situation, and gradually increasing it until the end of the level where it's a real test of your skill and likely is incorporating ideas from the other levels. Given that it only takes a few minutes to clear most Mario levels, it's a very quick progression you probably don't notice, but when you fuck up and die, it doesn't feel unfair.

That and it's one of those few couch coop titles that are a riot to play through.
People have tried explaining this one to me, but... for me the whole "great design" thing doesn't hold much weight in a platformer setting. Because there's so much you lose by going 2D (as in, truly 2D. Not the 2D the majority of non-3DS games are). And because of that, all of it seems to revolve over one function, jumping. Jump to avoid traps, jump to move along, jump to kill enemies.
2. Because a lot of people have been with the game since it launched in I think 2004 and grew up with it. You make some real friends playing that game, and you invest thousands of hours into a game that really means something to you. People get invested in the lore, the quality of level and dungeon design, and each expansion often completely changes how the game plays so it's never been stagnant. Say what you will about the game, and I say this as someone who's never owned a Blizzard title, Blizzard's post-release support and content has always been fantastic. With a lot of MMOs, their communities either don't last or the endgame gets stale and there's not a lot of support. I used to play Guild Wars 2 (stopped because I'm not an MMO guy and exploring by yourself or with a friend or two gets boring after a while), and it's been out for I think 6 years now? There's only been one expansion pack, and I seriously don't know anybody who's stuck with the game that long. Meanwhile, I can name off the top of my head about 5 or 6 people who still play WoW regularly.
The Player base part I can kind of understand... But there's one bit to this that throws me off.
If you're truly this close with them, you likely have a Guild and/or TeamSpeak thing going. You likely see and meat them a lot, which means it shouldn't be too hard to have everyone agree to switch MMO's.

As for the constant updating? I... don't really get the impresison from Blizzards since their reaction to a GIANT amount of players wanting an old server was "You think you want it, but you don't". When making one under Blizzard could bring back a ton of old customers who have long ago left the MMO.
3. People love Disney and people love Square Enix Final Fantasy-style RPGs. It's like one of those concepts that shouldn't work, like peanut butter on a hamburger, but totally does for a lot of people; it's like something they never knew they needed until they saw it. I've never played the title, but considering one of my favorite games of all time was a Square title (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars), I can imagine each game is a hell of a treat for fans.
It's probably the "People love Disney" bit that's causing the misunderstanding. Like... why? Why does everyone just inheretingly love Disney? Like, they have a couple good movies, I'll admit. But the majority of them are rather simple in nature with not much going on. And always tries to push some fairy tale happy ending... Makes the investment in what's going on... Bland. I know it will all end well, and there's nothing that really ever pops up that makes me stop and think.

Well, minus when Film Theory makes an episode on a movie... But that's more conspiracy theories that Disney by no means intended to have. Then again, stuff like predictable endings, and one sided morality in stories are HUGE pet peeves of mind (likely why I enjoy Game of Thrones so much). Hell, you'll occasionally see me rant on stuff like D&D alignments for precisely this reason... So maybe Disney just hits a Nostalgic/Childish core with people that I just don't possess.

Note: I'm not including series that Disney simply has Publisher rights over, like Tron, Marvel, Pirates of the Caribbean or Hayao Miyazaki films... I'd add Star Wars, but Jar Jar Abrams messed up Disney's only movie quite spectacularly.
4. I disliked Halo 4... it was a serviceable game, but I felt the story was weak and I hated a lot of the character and enemy redesigns but holy shit, it was a beautiful game.

I actually really liked Halo 5. Didn't play the multiplayer a whole bunch, but the campaign kept me engaged and the Promeathans did not feel nearly as annoying this time around. Plus, Nathan Fillion.

It playing at 60 frames per second and having some pretty impressive visuals for a console is also a good selling point.
Nathan Fillion is great :3 But... A Good cast doesn't make a game for me, otherwise I'd be praising Fable 3 because of Simon Pegg.

I will grant I never followed to the next Gen of Consoles, so I've never been able to play Halo 5 for myself... But Campaign wise they literally have the UNSC hunt Master Chief because... Reasons. :/
It feels like they're trying to milk a franchise that Bungie gave a satisfying ending to... At least where Chief is concerned. There's so much more of the Universe 343 could explore (which they do try... and fail to do with movies and shows) in games.

As for 60 frames and Visuals? That's... Not a buying point for me, at all.
Like I think shit like Ubisofts 30 Frame "Cinematic" cap is completely idiotic... But a game needs to be more than frames.
6. It's been a thing that's kept me from playing a lot of Pokemon games, as well. I only own Red and Black versions, and I do love them, but I can't really justify playing through all of them because it's just too similar; Black felt VERY close to Red with some understandable progression in technology and scope.

However, with the new versions, I'm going to pick it up. There seems to be enough new features and changes (the free form navigation that isn't top down is a big point of interest, as is that adorable fucker owl) that I really want to give it a go.
Well my most recent version is Aqua Sapphire... So I'd be only one game behind so the gap would be way too small unless if Nintendo does something revolutionary.

People have tried explaining this one to me, but... for me the whole "great design" thing doesn't hold much weight in a platformer setting. Because there's so much you lose by going 2D (as in, truly 2D. Not the 2D the majority of non-3DS games are). And because of that, all of it seems to revolve over one function, jumping. Jump to avoid traps, jump to move along, jump to kill enemies.
Try the 3D versions of Mario, like Super Mario 3D world. Gets rid of that pesky 2D thing you don't like.

You can also break down any game to super simplistic terms when you put it that way. FPS: Spawn, shoot as many people before you are killed, respawn and try again. RPGs: Take turns hitting people until numbers pop out and use items to change the sway of battle. Racing games: Drive fast and pass cars while you try to get in first. Stealth games: Complete objectives while you try not to get caught. Music games: Play a fake instrument to give yourself the illusion you can make music.
The Player base part I can kind of understand... But there's one bit to this that throws me off.
If you're truly this close with them, you likely have a Guild and/or TeamSpeak thing going. You likely see and meat them a lot, which means it shouldn't be too hard to have everyone agree to switch MMO's.
Why would you switch games when you've already invested so much time in the one you're already in that's still getting new content? Invest several thousand hours into something and see how many people jump ship when another person suggests they move onto another game, and a "better" MMO is hugely subjective. What might appeal to you might do nothing for another player.
As for the constant updating? I... don't really get the impresison from Blizzards since their reaction to a GIANT amount of players wanting an old server was "You think you want it, but you don't". When making one under Blizzard could bring back a ton of old customers who have long ago left the MMO.
A large amount, yes, but a drop in the bucket out of a user base of literal millions. Some people don't like the updates, and that's fine, but it's not the game's fault it kept trying new things to keep relevant and interesting.

Seriously, the game is still the most played MMO in the world after 12 years and after losing literally MILLIONS of players, they're still not slowing down. That's impressive shit.
It's probably the "People love Disney" bit that's causing the misunderstanding. Like... why? Why does everyone just inheretingly love Disney? Like, they have a couple good movies, I'll admit. But the majority of them are rather simple in nature with not much going on. And always tries to push some fairy tale happy ending... Makes the investment in what's going on... Bland. I know it will all end well, and there's nothing that really ever pops up that makes me stop and think.
Once again, tastes are subjective. Disney's largely enjoyable to me, but hardly something I go out of my way to watch. For other people, it might as well be their lives for how devoted they are to it. It's what they're into; just because you don't get or like it doesn't make it invalid for entertainment value. Having an RPG series set in a crossover multiverse of Disney properties is heaven for a lot of people, just look at some of the responses in the thread. You can't say it doesn't have an appeal if there's numerous people who are totally on board with it.

It's like Nickleback (not comparing quality, just making an example); you'll rarely meet someone who admits to liking Nickleback and the majority of people you meet will vocally say how much Nickleback sucks. However, they're arguably the most successful rock group of the last decade and SOMEBODY had to be buying their music and attending their shows for that to happen. Just because most people claim to hate it or not get it doesn't make it bad; just not what they're into.
Well, minus when Film Theory makes an episode on a movie... But that's more conspiracy theories that Disney by no means intended to have. Then again, stuff like predictable endings, and one sided morality in stories are HUGE pet peeves of mind (likely why I enjoy Game of Thrones so much). Hell, you'll occasionally see me rant on stuff like D&D alignments for precisely this reason... So maybe Disney just hits a Nostalgic/Childish core with people that I just don't possess.
You're talking about movies primarily aimed towards children that often have a musical component and make lighter situations out of grim as fuck fairy tales that teach good values to kids. How many children do you know that are after complex characters and motivations with some dark aspects and grey morality scales? Even growing up, a lot of people like simple straightforward and entertaining movies that don't try to be anything more than they are, and Disney movies are comfortable and bring back good feelings. The movies wouldn't work for what they are if they go into detail of how Gaston thinks he's actually saving Belle from a horrifying monster, or how Scar is trying to increase the quality of life for the hyenas without understanding how sustainable ecosystems work, or that Prince Hans wants to take over Elsa's kingdom without war because he believes that uniting their lands would mean better prosperity for all their people... you get the idea. What appeals to an adult mind doesn't necessarily work for kids (I say this as a kid who was reading Tom Clancy novels in the sixth grade about fucking bioterrorism, counter-terrorist operatives, retired CIA agent revenge plots, the entire US congress getting assassinated, a US city getting nuked, etc.), and a lot of adults aren't looking for particularly deep or complex bits of entertainment all the time. Sometimes it's nice to just watch a show or movie or read a book and know immediately that black hats are bad, white hats are good, and it sure looks pretty.

Nathan Fillion is great :3 But... A Good cast doesn't make a game for me, otherwise I'd be praising Fable 3 because of Simon Pegg.

I will grant I never followed to the next Gen of Consoles, so I've never been able to play Halo 5 for myself... But Campaign wise they literally have the UNSC hunt Master Chief because... Reasons. :/
It feels like they're trying to milk a franchise that Bungie gave a satisfying ending to... At least where Chief is concerned. There's so much more of the Universe 343 could explore (which they do try... and fail to do with movies and shows) in games.

As for 60 frames and Visuals? That's... Not a buying point for me, at all.
Like I think shit like Ubisofts 30 Frame "Cinematic" cap is completely idiotic... But a game needs to be more than frames.
Master Chief goes AWOL and they're worried he's going rogue because they can't reach him. He's still a part of the military hierarchy, and the only thing that's going to be able to track down and bring a Spartan is another Spartan. It's not like they just do it out of the blue for no reason.

Gameplay wise, controls are tight, weapon balance is good, and it's still refined Halo gameplay. People just don't like it because it doesn't meet the lofty heights that 3 and Reach left off at.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
I should probably clarify, at this point I'm more responding out of a "Persuasion to convince me it's good" stance.

You already convinced me why some people might like these titles @Dervish. :P
Try the 3D versions of Mario, like Super Mario 3D world. Gets rid of that pesky 2D thing you don't like.
Don't have a Wii U either. My latest Console is a 360. After that I switched to PC Gaming.
You can also break down any game to super simplistic terms when you put it that way. FPS: Spawn, shoot as many people before you are killed, respawn and try again. RPGs: Take turns hitting people until numbers pop out and use items to change the sway of battle. Racing games: Drive fast and pass cars while you try to get in first. Stealth games: Complete objectives while you try not to get caught. Music games: Play a fake instrument to give yourself the illusion you can make music.
True, but there's usually different means of killing people, getting ahead of someone in a race, different builds in RPGs etc. Mario? It all boils down to jumping. You might execute the Jump in different ways, but it's all one mechanic.
Why would you switch games when you've already invested so much time in the one you're already in that's still getting new content? Invest several thousand hours into something and see how many people jump ship when another person suggests they move onto another game, and a "better" MMO is hugely subjective. What might appeal to you might do nothing for another player.
I can get that attachment. But at that point it feels like they're more invested just to justify their hours than they are out of enjoyment.
A large amount, yes, but a drop in the bucket out of a user base of literal millions. Some people don't like the updates, and that's fine, but it's not the game's fault it kept trying new things to keep relevant and interesting.

Seriously, the game is still the most played MMO in the world after 12 years and after losing literally MILLIONS of players, they're still not slowing down. That's impressive shit.
I get that, but it was still extra profits they turned down. And not just profits, they did that in a way that was a massive slap in the face to a lot of their former players, doesn't exactly give a "We care about the players" sort of vibe.
Once again, tastes are subjective. Disney's largely enjoyable to me, but hardly something I go out of my way to watch. For other people, it might as well be their lives for how devoted they are to it. It's what they're into; just because you don't get or like it doesn't make it invalid for entertainment value. Having an RPG series set in a crossover multiverse of Disney properties is heaven for a lot of people, just look at some of the responses in the thread. You can't say it doesn't have an appeal if there's numerous people who are totally on board with it.

It's like Nickleback (not comparing quality, just making an example); you'll rarely meet someone who admits to liking Nickleback and the majority of people you meet will vocally say how much Nickleback sucks. However, they're arguably the most successful rock group of the last decade and SOMEBODY had to be buying their music and attending their shows for that to happen. Just because most people claim to hate it or not get it doesn't make it bad; just not what they're into.
I get that clearly someone has to like that style for it to be successful, that's business 101.
What puzzles me is why people like that style.
You're talking about movies primarily aimed towards children that often have a musical component and make lighter situations out of grim as fuck fairy tales that teach good values to kids. How many children do you know that are after complex characters and motivations with some dark aspects and grey morality scales? Even growing up, a lot of people like simple straightforward and entertaining movies that don't try to be anything more than they are, and Disney movies are comfortable and bring back good feelings. The movies wouldn't work for what they are if they go into detail of how Gaston thinks he's actually saving Belle from a horrifying monster, or how Scar is trying to increase the quality of life for the hyenas without understanding how sustainable ecosystems work, or that Prince Hans wants to take over Elsa's kingdom without war because he believes that uniting their lands would mean better prosperity for all their people... you get the idea. What appeals to an adult mind doesn't necessarily work for kids (I say this as a kid who was reading Tom Clancy novels in the sixth grade about fucking bioterrorism, counter-terrorist operatives, retired CIA agent revenge plots, the entire US congress getting assassinated, a US city getting nuked, etc.), and a lot of adults aren't looking for particularly deep or complex bits of entertainment all the time. Sometimes it's nice to just watch a show or movie or read a book and know immediately that black hats are bad, white hats are good, and it sure looks pretty.
In regards to kids? I think you kind of hit the nail on the head when you then mentioned that a lot of adults aren't looking for deep or complex entertainment.

I'm not going to claim a child's interests are completely dictated by their parents, but their parents play a large role in what the kids get exposed to. And admittingly, the complexity of understanding both sides isn't an easy concept at first. It's a topic most Adults have trouble grasping, because it's so much easier to look at things as black and white, good and evil, right and wrong. And if said Adults then don't take an effort to teach such complexities to their children? Then no shit kids won't be interested, that has nothing to do with kids not having the potential to like it. Just that the parents weren't willing to give the legwork to teach such lessons which could then kick start such an interest (just like how we use school to kick start interests in a variety of fields).

Aaaaand... I just convinced myself why so many adults love Disney's style. XD

Though as far as kids are concerned I'm largely in the camp of that's a fault of how parents engage children, and it's the results of said parents actions that people then look back at and assume to be fact... This is really a topic for another thread though at this point.
Master Chief goes AWOL and they're worried he's going rogue because they can't reach him. He's still a part of the military hierarchy, and the only thing that's going to be able to track down and bring a Spartan is another Spartan. It's not like they just do it out of the blue for no reason.

Gameplay wise, controls are tight, weapon balance is good, and it's still refined Halo gameplay. People just don't like it because it doesn't meet the lofty heights that 3 and Reach left off at.
The whole fact they assume he's going rogue though is just it... WHY would they ever think that after all he's done? After all the times stunts he did has separated him from the UNSC at times? Like, if the other Spartans were sent as a rescue group, or a way to regain contact just to ask what's up that'd be different... But assuming he's ditching them? The fuck? :/

Though if the gameplay doesn't meet Halo 3 and Reach... That won't automatically make them bad I admit. But I also have to ask what is the point of a sequel (other than money) if it doesn't improve on the game? What incentive is there for players to buy it?

Mario? It all boils down to jumping. You might execute the Jump in different ways, but it's all one mechanic.
I shit on Nintendo for not innovating their games all the time, but, man, Mario is a little more than jumping. There's also different hats/costumes you can get that give Mario different powers, like shooting fireballs, or flying. Also, depending on how long you hold the jump button controls how high you jump, and you can tap it multiple times in some games to jump more than once.

It's one mechanic, granted, but it's all you need when the levels have different obstacles to overcome on a regular basis.

Also, in water levels, you don't jump. You swim. :ferret:

I shit on Nintendo for not innovating their games all the time, but, man, Mario is a little more than jumping. There's also different hats/costumes you can get that give Mario different powers, like shooting fireballs, or flying. Also, depending on how long you hold the jump button controls how high you jump, and you can tap it multiple times in some games to jump more than once.

It's one mechanic, granted, but it's all you need when the levels have different obstacles to overcome on a regular basis.

Also, in water levels, you don't jump. You swim. :ferret:
Ok, I'll grant that fire, flying and water does pop up, at times. But those are rather circumstantial, they aren't consistent in the gameplay.
Like, as simple as say Dark Souls gameplay is, I can at least dodge, or block, or parry. And my ability to do so is available all the time assuming I use the proper equipment.

Maybe I'm just being too judgemental on simplicity though, I'm noticing that's a trend with me. Hell, I complained about both mechanical and moral simplicity just above.

Final Fantasy.. I've tried a few times to get into it, just about everyone I know loves it. I love the character designs, they're all so pretty.. But it's just so boring, I can get too into it because it just.. Doesn't do it for me. It's not exciting.

I actually have quite a few games I don't really care for at the least.

Overwatch - I don't like most shooters in general, but with Overwatch, there are a bunch of characters that don't really serve much other than eye-candy, slightly-altered playstyles, and lore that probably doesn't come up in-game. I can understand TF2, but those are a bit more like jobs, and there are only a few, rather than frickin' 21 of 'em. Also, you have to buy the game, whereas you can get TF2 for free.

MOBAs - It's pretty much the same character issue as Overwatch, with a few more alterations in playstyles. Also I hate pretty much any game with click-to-move controls with a burning passion, after I stopped playing browser MMOs a week or two after I started.

To be honest, I don't really care for most, if not any, multiplayer online games where you play characters instead of jobs. There's really not much other than eye-candy and lore-that-probably-doesn't-show-up, piled onto playstyles that are similar to another character, but not exactly alike. TF2 is sort-of borderline in this, but the playstyles at least look fairly different (I haven't actually played the game); ArcheBlade is okay, but since it's a fighting game, I don't really care anyway; and Elsword has lore that actually comes up in-game, and character/class progression. There's an upcoming MOBA from NCSoft called Master X Master that sort-of catches my eye, but it's only because it has PoHwaRan and JinSeoYeon from Blade & Soul as playable characters, lol.

Western Horror Games - I don't like western horror, and there's an over-reliance on buckets of gore in many of these games. I'm a massive weeaboo who pretty much only likes Asian horror media, lol.

Shooters - Touched on this briefly with Overwatch, but I don't really like shooters, especially FPS. I suck at them, they're usually boring and gritty, and it all just feels the same. TF2 looks okay, though. The only shooter games I've actually played are S4 League and Splatoon, which are weird TPS things and it's actually kinda fun, lol.

World of Warcraft - Way too much money for the same stuff. At least FFXIV has gameplay variation (and graphics appealing to my weeaboo eyes) (note: I'm not dissing FFXIV, it's just the only other subscription mmo I can think of at the moment [also, I barely got to the point where I can travel to the other city-state-things before I stopped my subscription, because I'm poor]).

Kingdom Hearts - Too much Disney. And all the character models I've seen look creepy.

Maplestory - It's so ugly, I can't even look at it without an overwhelming feeling of eye-violation. Lesson 101 in how not to make pixel graphics.

I'm such an unapologetic weeaboo, it hurts.

Also, extremely petty.

Assuming you mean 1 and 2 and not the MMO, this is likely because Kotor uses simplified D&D 3.5 mechancis. So you'd need a fondness to playing D&D, without the roleplaying nor the community aspect to get into the gameplay side of it.
Yeah, that notion of "We need to X to enjoy the Y of it" to me doesn't fly. A lot of my friends say that a lot in regards to Knights of The Republic.

Turn Based or truly active combat is how I go.

MMOs

I've tried a bunch, I really have. I went at Warcraft with the zeal of someone feeling their long distance relationship slipping away and grasping at the last thread of a link

The things that make me not like them, are the things that make them MMOs :/

Yeah, that notion of "We need to X to enjoy the Y of it" to me doesn't fly. A lot of my friends say that a lot in regards to Knights of The Republic.

Turn Based or truly active combat is how I go.
Yea, I get it. Like I don't particularly mind Kotor's combat, but it's hardly a system I'd suggest any other game using.

I've tried many a time to get into 'em, but I really could never get behind all the hype behind Pokemon (or really any turn-based strategy game like say, Final Fantasy) or The Legend of Zelda. The old Metroid I played was fun enough... as long as I kept a walkthrough handy :x

My friends have also often urged me to play Skyrim, so I played like five minutes of it and while I'm told the beginning is really just crap, I don't think the game is for me, maybe it's the setting in general. I've also played a little bit of Halo (specifically Combat Evolved in its original form rather than Anniversary) and it's... okay. I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by later FPS games that I played earlier but it feels a little slow and boring or something compared to say, Half-Life, which I naturally enjoyed much more

I can't really get into MOBAs, MMOs, or RTS games in general either

On another note, I guess I really shouldn't judge a game I haven't even played yet (though I do own it, as I got it for Christmas) but I dunno if I'll be able to get into Fallout (New Vegas more specifically) when I start it. Like Skyrim, it might be the setting that'll turn me off, but I guess we'll see, lol

Sad to see so much Kingdom Hearts - that was my first love. Although, that probably means I love it more for nostalgia's sake. Admittedly, I've always thought it could have been great standalone with all original characters to move through these awesome ideas they put forth.
I guess that would have been too much work for them.

Other than that:
Super Smash Bros. I just...need more...stimulation than smashing. This sort of goes the same for any similar fighting games: Tekken, Street Fighter etc.

Any sports game ever. I don't get it, I'd rather go play football, than play at playing football.
One exception for the special place in my heart that is Track & Field (1983). But that's sort of different - silly arcade style you play with your friends to see who can press buttons faster.

GTA - also just not a fan, it's not intriguing enough to be worth exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.