From The Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson waited anxiously until his comrade released the flame and lit up the tunnel. Once he could see perfectly the ranger began to let off a series of shots, hitting whoever Crimson couldn't hit. While his partner seemed to enjoy the action the hybrid was more disciplined and unaffected like a typical ranger would be. In the back of his head though he felt somewhat troubled with how his partner fought, but he was a necessary factor in order to win this battle. Everything looked to be on his favor and he was about to push forward until he almost felt the round meant for Crimson whizz past him, causing him to instinctively stagger back behind cover. He thought it was just luck on his side, but when he heard Crimson talk about an injury the situation changed. His attention immediately snapped to the young man and he quickly placed a hand on him to make him sit down behind the cover they had been sitting behind. "Sit down, I knew I should've told you to be more careful.." The ranger muttered as he set his rifle aside to rummage through his satchel and dig out his bandages. Fortunately, whoever was the last survivor couldn't be heard advancing. Perhaps he fled after loosing his comrades. "Where did it hit?"

Behind the Blockade

The man grunted at first shrieked in pain as the girl's teeth dug into his neck, standing up to try and yank her off with no success while he stumbled about the room. During the struggle the knife fell on the floor and eventually the man fell, his strength fading quickly despite his never ending retaliation. Eventually his muscles began relaxing, and death was slowly creeping to take the bandit leader as he reached out for the knife, dead set on not going down alone.

Aiden looked up as another anthro broke down the door into this place, "Relax, I'm apart of the cavalry" she said in an effort to comfort the situation. Apparently, someone is actually trying to help us, but why us three? Could she not just go out of her way and save the other 12 survivors outside? Whatever the case, she came over and cut thee rope which tied him to his chair, he was free! He could escape and run away from all of them right now, and get that extra edge over the assassins pursuing him, get a head start....

...Or, he can stay here and have the chance to be surrounded by well-armed men and women, all-the-while doing the good things that heroes do.
Heh, heroes. like they exist anymore... But hell, he survived by mere luck, and his first attempted ended badly, maybe this is what he intended to do, his purpose in life-to kill these bandits, no matter the cost. Upon being free, he gave the well-armed anthro a nod, walked over to the leader, and picked up the knife right out of his reach. "I told you you were going to die...should've killed me when you got the chance!"

Aiden walked around and scavanged the bodies for some pistols and pistol ammo. Astonished, he pulled out his own USP right out of the first body he saw, And to think I lost you for good...let's find you some bullets! He picked as many bullets as fast he could off of those corpses. He returned to the room, with gun in hand, and he spoke to her; "I'm not going anywhere without you...You have the biggest guns!"

@G3n3s1sR3b0rn
@Furasian
@Winter

Jewel sighed and continued to clean her crossbow. Cleaning was practically pointless. She had failed to kill anything yet. Hell, she never even saw anything yet. But, she knew something was out there. The way her skull burned each time she went out, the way she felt hot pairs of eyes burn holes into her head.
She'd been alone for so long. She never knew how to interact with people, but she never wanted company more in her entire life. The comfort of another human voice would do wonders for her courage. Or her will to live.
Everything seemed pointless. There was nothing left. Hell, she didnt even know if there WERE people left. Why hadn't she just... Died like everybody else? Why did she have to be the one to survive amongst the death and destruction?
She sighed again. Arguing with herself was such a moot point. She always won out in the end. She wanted somebody to argue with. And win.

Standing up, she sniffed the area. It smelled like rot and depression. The ears atop her head flicked, and she adjusted her jeans on her hips so she could run faster, in case she finally met someone. Or something.

Gripping the hilt of her knife, she bolted. The Crystal City, stripped of all it had once been; Shining buildings with large windows that reflected any type of light. Now it was a heap of broken glass that was a death trap for anybody who set foot. Except her.
The building she was in was already starting to crack and crumble. It would probably fall in silence, like the death of the world. A flash of light, silence, and everything was ashes. Except for Jewel.
She leaped atop into a window that was broken. Like everything else. She menuevered around the broken shards that stuck up like needles. The weight of her crossbow weighed her down, and fear struck her heart when she heard a noise from behind.
She whipped, fear causing her adrenaline to spike a hundred decimals, and waited until whatever was out there to charge. The world seemed to stop, hold its breath, waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
A bird flew up from the debris, crying and sqwuaking its way to freedom above the clouds.
There was never a moment where Jewel didnt wish for wings. To fly above the death, the destruction, to become a part of something else entirely, to be free from the chains of chaos and havoc. To be a bird in the sky, soaring above the pitiful earth below.
No. She was stuck down here. Fighting for stay alive. Fighting to go to sleep, fighting to wake up.
Fighting to keep breathing, despite everything telling her to stop.

As the leader began losing his strength, Liz clamped her jaws together harder, sharply pulling her head sideways. Liz opened her mouth, standing up and spitting out blood. The leader was dead. She was getting out of here.

She turned towards the newcomer in the room. She had heard what the newcomer had said. It seemed they were being rescued already. "How many of you are there?" She examined the other woman. She was a feline anthro.

Liz looked out the door, seeing her fellow captive. He was a canine. Two dogs saved by a little kitty. Great... She stepped through the door, crouching down and searching the nearest body. She found a crude knife and what she believed was a Type 54 pistol. It wasn't much, but anything was better than nothing. She needed to find her things own things, now. She wasn't leaving without them.

She looked back at her rescuer as she stood again. "You have any idea where they might have taken our stuff when they captured us?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jewel sighed and tilted her head back against the wall of the Crystal City main hall. Its beauty was long gone. It was nothing more than rubble.
She knew she couldnt stay here, but it was the raw fear that kept her rooted to this small city, terrified of venturing outward and finding something beyond her capability to defeat. As much as she hated the world she couldnt stand the thought of dying, not now, not after she lived through hell.
She pulled the duffel bag off her shoulders and slid out the map of the entire city. Maybe the larger cities held people? The Crystal city was outside the Pentagon City, the smaller cities located in the southern Region of the city. She would need to get to the Metro Station, it no doubt would be the place most people would flee too. But what else could be there? What else could stand in her way between finally meeting another person? Or maybe even a group of people?
Fear made breathing much harder. She was practically out of food, and she couldnt stay here much longer before something got her. She knew she was being watched, and it wouldnt be long before whatever monstrosity that was waiting to become impatient and restless and finally come after her.
She stood up, put the map back in her duffel and swung it back over her shoulder.
Dragging in a long breath of stale air, she started walking, bow ready, and listened to the glass crunch beneath her feet as she trudged off to the Heart of the City.

Minami stood silently as he seemed to think about what to do. She wasn't sure what he was thinking, so she kept the knitting needle near her in case he suddenly lashed at her.
She wasn't sure how mobile he was, but she wouldn't take any chances. For all she knew he was faster than she was.

His sudden statement made her blink and lift a brow, her defensive demeanor vanishing for a moment.
'Excuse me?' she asked, looking at him a bit surprised.
She snorted lightly at his threat and slowly walked over to him, assessing the chains. 'You look strong enough, couldn't you just break the chains?' she asked with a light, wary huff as she used her needle and a little pin to pick the lock.
A small look of frustration appeared on his face as she fiddled with his chains, asking him why he never broke from his bonds. "I have tried more times than you think, I was...disciplined on all occasions." He said, his face holding no emotion as he waited for her to finish, the sound of the steel chain cuffs hitting the concrete below his feet brought an unfamiliar warmth to his heart. "Now, for the others...there are innocents within that prison." He stated, pointing down at the concrete foundation, his attention turning back to her. "You're going to help me save them..." He spoke before jumping off of the barely two story building, landing with a near silent thud.

Naomi waited as the two went about their business, be it finishing their kill or picking through corpses for weapons. When the wolf mentioned the proportion of her guns she raised an eyebrow which changed quickly to sarcastic amusement, "Don't be too sure about that, the reason I'm the only one here is because I'm all about stealth" she said before adding, "Which means I pack lightly" she said, her ear twitching as she paid some attention to the battle continuing on at the blockade. She would then turn towards the female as she asked her a question, "Three, including myself. Two of us are rangers... unsure about the other guy" she said before adding to answer her last question, "I can't say I really know for sure. If you're here then I don't imagine your stuff is far, I remember seeing an office on the way in, if I was to take a wild guess I'd say your stuff could be there" she said with a slight shrug.

Minami fell a bit silent when he spoke of his attempts to escape and looked up at him. His gace showed no emotion, but there was a grim message behind his words. She sighed relieved somewhat when the chains clicked and fell open, landing on the rooftop with a thud. She blinked when he suddenly mentioned the other prisoners and she quickly jumped after him. 'Whoa there big boy, have you seen it in there?' she asked, stopping him by blocking his path.
'I don't agree with them being held there either, but we're outnumbered and outgunned at this point. Those men are armed and expecting an attack from the creatures out here. We'll be killed in seconds or both captured.' she said sharply, but soft enough so the men inside wouldn't hear her.

He growled slightly as she got in his way, not liking it one bit, a true wolf's snarl of rage escaping him as she spoke to him. She was telling the truth but he couldn't just leave people in there, despite all he had become all he had ever done, he wasn't a deserter. Blood of the innocents still caked to his fur and muzzle, giving him a grim reminder of what he had done. He moved her aside rather forcefully and continued toward the prison, attempting to gain entry through a hatch door only to find that his captors had sealed it after throwing him into the darkness, low growls filled the immediate area as the wolf scratched and clawed at the iron. "Let me in!" He snarled.

"Only three and you managed this...," Liz began, "Well then, I say we stop by there on our way out. I'm ready whenever, kitten." She glanced sideways at the Ranger before checking the ammo in the pistol. Eight shots and two extra clips... Better than nothing. She dropped the knife, she didn't have anywhere to keep it, and gripped the pistol. She looked up at the other two, waiting to get going.

"Upper leg, but it's not too bad. Sorry you had to see that side of me, sometimes I can go a bit insane." He looked down toward the tunnel, "Did we get them all? I only remember lighting and firing the arrow, then scattered images." Taking stock of what he had left, he looked to the Ranger, "So, how the hell did I manage to release forty arrows? And do we know if any innocents were injured?"

Aiden loaded his pistol and raced over the office, where the rest of his 'gear' was awaiting him, he quickly strapped on his pack, and threw the other one to the female dog anthro, hoping that was hers, he raced back to the cat-anthro who was awaiting them, but Aiden was discovered by one of the bandits, he was about to scream for the other ones, but he got tackled by Aiden, who pummeled him to the ground until he started bleeding out of his nose, he was about to pull out his gun and call it a day, but he got thrown off, the gun sliding out of his reach, the guy decided it was his turn to punch the crap out of Aiden. Luck was really on his side as he found a chunk of concrete to smash into the mans face, he cried, and Aiden managed to throw him off, he scrambled for his pistol, and fired three good shots right into his chest, cutting his cries short, he got himself up and ran to the gun-toting kitten's side.

"Hey, I just attracted some unwanted attention, I think we should go...NOW!"

@G3n3s1sR3b0rn
@Winter
@Furasian

Naomi felt some pride at the female anthro's surprise at there only being three of them. That was until she called her 'kitten' for the second time. "Of all the nick names... " she said, shaking her head a little as she peered beyond the door as the other anthro mentioned he might have attracted attention. She held up her hand to quiet him, "Relax. If you panic you'll die and I didn't just come all this way for you to get yourself killed. Now, you have your gear and we have a distraction not to mention the cover of superior sound so I suggest we use that as our ticket out of here" she said, kneeling down as she dislodged a handgun from under the corpse with the torn out neck, pulling back the hammer with her thumb before taking out the cartridge to check it still carried bullets. "If I were in our shoes, which unfortunately I am, I would sneak up on the blockade and hit them from behind. That way the blockade get's hit from two sides; they lose cover, start to panic and then when they try to flee they gain a shiny new accessory in the pit of their head. Then after we can rendezvous with the rest of my companions and we can all live another unfortunate day in hell... sound good?" she asked as she looked between them. She may have sounded as if she wasn't taking things seriously, but really her words carried a fair bit of logic and tactical genius given their situation. She would turn and face the two after standing in the doorway, "To be honest, whether you come with me or not I'm heading to the blockade so the real question is whether you want to join me and probably live or risk it alone and probably maybe die... or live... depends how you look at it I guess".

"Even with what you did I doubt all of them are dead.. So be quiet." The ranger replied, giving the man a pat on the man's shoulder to help quell his guilt. A quick observation confirmed that the man had been hit in the upper leg. Whether extreme or minor it was still a gunshot wound that would need treatment later. Fortunately, Wilson had some things that could keep the man in stable condition until he could get the wound fixed up. For now though he simply took one of his bandages and began to dress the leg, making sure to apply pressure no matter how much pain was involved. There wasn't much other than the sound of three shots, but then whispers could be heard followed by the quiet shuffling of footsteps. That was when the anthro brought a finger up and reached for his rifle, shushing Crimson as he readied for another firefight.

Aiden smiled, and rolled his eyes "If I was nervous, you would know it, Nah, im talking about the guys who followed me here, unless you think we can handle them. After all, you ARE good at this type of thing? He looked down his sights toward the way he came, hoping that the anthro was close behind, that's when the Cat-anthro unveiled her plan of action...to bring the fight om both sides, having us three in the back ambushing and shooting the crap out of them. He nodded in acceptance at the thought of the idea; "I-I like this idea, consider me in! Just one thing about it...how are we going tot deal with the other trapped prisoners? I mean, we cannot just leave them here...can we?" Aiden thought back on the time he spent in that makeshift prison, the weathered and beaten faces of those who reside there, some not even 5 years old! Anyone in their right mind would agree that their fate should not be sealed in some random crossfire or execution or even slavery!

Something must be done to save them.

@Winter

Last edited:
Liz caught the pack that was thrown towards her, she looked inside, checking that it was hers. Suprisingly, it was. She went into the room anyways. Seeing her beloved Zastava hanging on a wall, she rushed over and picked it up. "Reunited at last." The Zastava was the one thing she had managed to take from her old home when she had left. She grinned and grabbed a few water bottles from nearby, stuffing them in her pack.

She exited the room, returning to the other two just in time to catch the kittens last statement. "I'm coming with you. I'd rather not try to get out of here on my own. Too many bandits. I'd know, of course." Her expression darkened as she remembered what she had gone through when she had first been captured. "My names Liz, by the way. And the two of you?"

He growled slightly as she got in his way, not liking it one bit, a true wolf's snarl of rage escaping him as she spoke to him. She was telling the truth but he couldn't just leave people in there, despite all he had become all he had ever done, he wasn't a deserter. Blood of the innocents still caked to his fur and muzzle, giving him a grim reminder of what he had done. He moved her aside rather forcefully and continued toward the prison, attempting to gain entry through a hatch door only to find that his captors had sealed it after throwing him into the darkness, low growls filled the immediate area as the wolf scratched and clawed at the iron. "Let me in!" He snarled.

She yelped softly when he forcefully pushed her aside and she stumbled back a bit. Her tail flicked annoyed and slightly worried as he headed for the door.
She cursed and slipped behind the wall next to the door when she heard the men inside scurry at the sound of their "dog" snarling outside.
They most likely had their guns at the ready, thinking the guy had been attacked or something. She growled and took out a blade, ready if the men came out.

Naomi shook her head, "There's a reason I didn't go release them before coming to get you. If we release them, they'll scatter into the fight and lives will be lost. As much as I don't want to say it, they're safer in the cages right now till we can secure this area" she said, demonstrating her affinity for strategy. "Besides if they scatter and panic, we wont be able to tell friend from enemy. We'll rescue them I promise, but for now we really need to assist the others knocking down the front door" she said before she stacked up against the door frame, motioning for Liz to take up position on the other side. She nodded to Liz as she gave her name, "Nice to meet you, my name is Naomi. We can share a drink once we're out of here" she said before motioning for the other anthro to conceal himself, the footsteps of those the wolf had mentioned coming closer. "Once they enter, we'll ambush them. Clean kills and no heroics, people are counting on us" she said with a smile before she readied herself, clutching her knife under her EBR. Once the enemies entered the room she'd drive her knife into the last one who entered, slicing his neck open before turning to assist the other two, firing on the ones they hadn't already killed themselves.

Aiden thought about it for a moment, Naomi was right, there's no point worrying about them now if all that is expected from them is to run around flailing their arms about. He held up his hands. "Alright, you win, I'll follow your lead." He said with a hint of mirth. The other anthro made her way back, to Aiden's surprise, but her reasoning for staying was quite adequate, besides, the more, the merrier! The other dog called herself Liz, a cute name for a deadly, throat-tearing dog anthro, she also proceeded to prod us into giving our name's too, hence why he now knows the cat-anthro to be named Naomi, and finally, it was his turn to answer, "And my name's Aiden, pleased to meet you." He would've chatted some more, but now is no longer the time for chatting, as footsteps from those who found out the corpse who ambushed Aiden earlier decided to come find them, but this is no ambush, now we have the ambush, which makes Aiden's skills rather useful.

He bolted behind some supply crates to use as hiding cover, as Naomi instructed. He pulled out two metal shards, basically makeshift knives, and kept them in a place easily accessible. He waited until enough people were in range, then he got out of cover, aimed his pistol up at their heads, and fired, one shot, one second at a time, carefully placed as well.
POW!
POW!
POW!
Each bullet went through their heads and splattered them as if they were pumpkins. The first three bandits dropped dead, but they were filled with more as the next group came and forced Aiden back to cover with suppressing fire. One of the bullets even clipped of a bit of fur from the top of his head, a split second more or less, and that would've been skull damage right there. But no matter, He's suppressed, he can't do crap about it now.

@G3n3s1sR3b0rn
@Winter

• Love
Reactions: chronoVesper
Crimson had been sitting still, but he couldn't take it any more. "What are we waiting for, I'm patched up. Let's get up there and help out the other that had run up there." As he said this, he began to stand, grabbing his bow as he did so. "Come on, we can do this, and it'll be nice and easy to get me fixed up, you have a group right? They are bound....." He had just finished standing when a bullet flew past his head. Reacting by instinct, he strapped his bow to him, and drew his sword while running. As he got to the person who had shot, he jumped, spinning and slicing. When he landed, the body of the shooter hit the ground, his legs cleanly gone and his arms missing at the elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.