Freaks Like Us

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sounds fine by me. :D)

Kurureenu sprinted through the alleys, using her abilities to bend the light around her as she went off to get the next child on the list. Tim was going to pair her up with someone tonight, but it was agreed that she was more of an asset if she could freely use her abilities between children without getting exhausted from covering multiple people. Her phone was snug in her pocket, the ringer turned off for the sake of staying quiet. She couldn't risk the lives of the children to hear a call coming in.

She turned the corner and bent down by some trash cans, listening to voices in the distance talking amongst themselves. She waited for a few moments, letting them disappear into the distance, before starting once again.

Just be careful, Seth... she thought, remembering the promise she made to him to call him if anything goes wrong.

Seth frowned as he thought he heard something behind him. He slowed to a walk, his hand curling around the knife in his belt. He'd barely stopped walking when arms wrapped around him. He gritted his teeth and jerked his hand back, plunging the knife into the thigh of one of the bodies behind him. He drove back his other elbow and felt it make contact with flesh. He broke free of their grip and whirled around, his hands raised. They didn't take long to recover, lunging straight at him.

He was outnumbered by about three to one, but their skill was unlike anything he'd come across. OMEN must have been training their officers even further. He'd seen the insignia on one of their jackets and besides, who else could it be? He fought as long and as hard as he could, but eventually one of them managed to get him pinned against the wall. He tried to fight them off, but the guy pinning him there pressed a knife to his jugular.

"I'd love to kill you, but our orders were not to. OMEN has no interest in you any more, not since you got hit with that dart and your 'powers' got wiped. Not that they were ever anything remarkable. They were more or less designed to cause you hassle and have you outed as a mutant. But that doesn't matter any more. We're more interested in that girl. But we had to stop you somehow." They pulled him away from the wall, and he saw one of them holding a baseball bat.

"Goodnight, Seth." The last thing he was was the baseball bat being swung towards his head.

Kurureenu reached the residence, climbing up the fire escape to enter through the window. She was greeted by the family there, who offered her water and some quick snacks for the trip over. The girl took the water and saw the teenager, smiling over toward her. After a quick conversation and rushing a few last goodbyes, Kurureenu led the girl out to the fire escape with her.

"Let's be careful," Kurureenu whispered, keeping her tone hushed between them as they crept down the escape. "If we get caught, let me do all the talking and stay behind me. If something happens, take my phone and run and call the contact that's on my favorites. It's the only one," she ordered, getting a small nod. "Good. Quiet now."

They reached the end of the escape and Kurureenu glanced around before giving the go and hopping down, landing with a quiet grunt. She was soon followed by the girl, catching her before her balance was lost. Soon after, though, Kurureenu was off with the girl tagging closely behind.

He crumpled and hit the ground. They stepped away from him, one staring at him for a moment. He spit at the man lying on the ground, before jerking his head to indicate to his men to follow him. They had bigger fish to fry.

They'd been told to get the girl. He knew that their end goal was to kill both of them, but their bosses wanted to cause as much trouble for them as possible before that. The boy would go after the girl. The hope was to tell him he was dead and then kill him in the rescue attempt and then keep the girl alive for as long as they wanted, reminding her of how it was her fault the boy was dead. And then they'd kill her too.

They pressed themselves against a wall, waiting for her to run by. After a few minutes, they heard footsteps approaching. He nodded at them and they ran out, spreading out along the alley.

"Hello, there, darlin'" One snarled, smiling menacingly.

Footsteps and heavy breathing was all that Kurureenu heard. She wished she took the time to be more careful and see it coming. When the men spread out across the alley in front of her, she stopped, bringing the girl to a halt with her by pulling her closer. She hugged the girl close for a moment, staring at the men with confusion, instantly working up her lie.

"Officers...? I'm sorry, but we don't have time for this. My niece and I have to get to my sister. She's in the hospital," she explained, making her lip quiver a bit. "Please let us by."

She felt the girl whimper against her and smoothed her hair with the palm of her hand, keeping her close. If she didn't keep calm, she may end up revealing what they were to the men.

One of them laughed. "Nice try, Miss Yurasu. We know who and what you are. Your male friend isn't going to be coming to help you anytime soon, either. So, are you going to come quietly, or are you going to make a scene?"

His men spread out around her. They'd been instructed not to touch the younger girl- she'd be too much trouble. Their focus was just the older girl. Just her.

Kurureenu heard her name and she sneered angrily, glaring at the men around her. She held the girl close to her, trying to think. It seemed that they were only after her, so she might have a chance to get the girl out of this mess. She murmured a few words to the girl before looking back up toward the men.

"At least let the girl go. This isn't her fight," she told them. "You want me, I'm assuming? That's great, because I want to know where Seth is at, too."

He nodded. "We have no interest in the girl. She may go. And as for your friend, he's... incapacitated at the moment." They took a few steps closer, and he raised his eyebrows. "So, what is it? Are you going to come quietly?" One of his men crackled his knuckles from behind her.

Once they said that the girl could go, Kurureenu sent her off, listening as the men spoke but waiting until the girl was out of sight before responding. "I'll go quietly... But not with you," she told them, watching as they stepped closer to her. Her glare swept around her, looking at possible escapes and what they were armed with. Maybe the weren't the best people to lip off to, but she refused to go anywhere with them.

At least not without knowing if Seth was okay.

"How about... you bring me to Seth and we'll sit down and chat about this who shebang?"

He laughed. "Oh, sweetie, we're not stupid. We're not going to do that. And anyway, you couldn't help him. So if you're not going to come quietly, we're just going to have to shut you up, aren't we?" They all took a step closer, drawing their respective weapons. Two of them had guns, and one had a baseball bat. The guy with the baseball bat was the first to attack, sweeping it towards her legs.

Kurureenu sneered angrily, watching as the weapons came out. From the corner of her eye, she saw the one with the bat move first. She jumped up to avoid the bat and glared, knowing that she had to get out of here. She wanted to find Seth and make sure he was okay.

Instead of trying to fight back, she decided to incapacitate them for a moment to get away. She willed the light she controlled to come and it started to flood out of her pores, shining brighter and brighter and into a blinding white light. As she did that, she let her image disappear, concentrating on leaving the bright light in her old place and working on moving outside the area of men that surrounded her. She hoped this work, but she could only imagine her klutzy side bumping into somebody instead of walking out.

They flinched away at the light being emitted from her body, but were smart enough to look away. They'd been warned about what she could do. One of them fired a dart in her general direction. It might only shut her powers off for half an hour at most, but hopefully, it would be enough.

The girl felt something hit her and hissed, quickly reaching for the thing. She quickly noticed her light dimming and her appearance returning. She turned her gaze back toward the group of OMEN officers, knowing that she couldn't possibly fight back or run from the lot of them. At least... not without help. She cursed mentally, sighing and slowly raising her hands as a sign of surrender.

"Fine. You got me," she sneered, glaring toward the men. "But you know that you won't have me for long." The girl chastised herself mentally. She wanted to find Seth... She hoped that he was okay. Maybe, if she was lucky, they would get a hold of him with her phone. Tim would get him back up to health and everything would be okay...

She hoped, anyway.

He smirked as she stopped fighting, moving to stand in front her. He roughly grabbed her wrists and snapped a cable tie around her wrists, pulling it tight. "Yeah, yeah, whatever you want to believe, sweetheart." He grabbed the chain between the handcuffs and started pulling her towards the street, where their car was parked. When they reached it, he shoved her roughly in the back seat.

Seth groaned, his hand going straight to his head. It took him a second to remember what had happened- but when he did, he bolted upright. As soon as he did so, his head spun dangerously, and he had to put his head between his knees for a second. Once he no longer felt like he was going to throw up, he tried to stand up. He stumbled almost straight away and had to lean against the wall. Cautiously, he touched his head at the core of the pain, wincing. His hand came away bloody, and he grimaced. Still leaning against the wall, he fished out his phone and called Ku, putting his phone to his ear and praying that she'd answer.

Kurureenu flinched as the was roughly handcuffed and shoved along the way. "Gentle! You asshats, don't you know how to treat a lady?" she sneered as she was put into the vehicle. When the door had slammed shut, she frowned. Seth, please be okay.

--

The phone picked up, but the one on the other end was definitely not Kurureenu as a man spoke up. "This is Tim," the voice on the other end answered professionally. "Before you ask anything I need your location. I'm coming to pick you up."

Seth frowned with confusion as Tim answered. "Tim? Where's Ku? What's happening? Uhh... I'm in an alleyway off of Fourth Street. Tim, be careful, there's OMEN officers around and they're not holding back with the attacks." He wasn't sure if his voice was actually slurred or if he was imagining it. He was definitely concussed, that much he knew. So being up and moving around probably wasn't the wisest idea he'd ever had, but at least Tim was a doctor.

Tim audibly cursed over the phone as he turned the wheel of the car to head in his direction. "I'll be there in two minutes. Stay on the line with me and don't hang up. I'm going to tell you what happened to Kurureenu," he informed. "Several OMEN officers ambushed Kurureenu and the girl. They let her let the girl go, but there's a high likelihood that Kurureenu went with the officers. It is unknown on whether it would have been by force or if she was smart about not getting her butt kicked and went with them."

There was a pause over the line as Tim went quiet for a few moments. "I see you, get in the car," he ordered before stopping the car just in front of where Seth was.

Seth swore loudly as Tim told him what had happened. As Tim went quiet, he leaned against the wall and closed his eyes, wishing that his head would stop pounding. He only opened his eyes when Tim spoke again, telling him that he was at the end of the alley. He disconnected the call and made his way towards the car, keeping one hand on the wall to keep his balance. Once he reached the car, he pulled the door open and got in.

"What the fuck happened? How did you find out?"

Tim pointed back to the girl in the back seat that had been running with Kurureenu earlier. "She told me and, based on how Kurureenu will react and the fact that we waited at the alternative meeting place for awhile before you woke up tips me off to the fact that they may have her," Tim responded, getting a good look at Seth. "We need to get you back to the house. Also, you're in no condition to get your bike right now, so don't even try anything funny."

Seth opened his mouth to say something, but Tim objected before he'd even said anything. He did have a point- Seth's head was pounding, and he severely doubted his ability to handle a bike. He sighed. That didn't mean he was happy about it, though. "Fine. But we've got to work out a way to rescue Ku as well. I'm not going to leave her with those bastards any longer than possible."

Status
Not open for further replies.