Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarlet noticed her roommate starting to glow as well and covered her eyes. Kurureenu kept concentrating, feeling the light rise to her pores and pour itself out into the room. She willed the light to obey her and concentrated on subduing the OMEN officers. After a few moments, she was supporting herself off of Scarlet as the light started to recede.

"We don't have too long," she breathed, looking over at Seth and smirking a small smirk. "Let's get out of here, please?"

As soon as he was aware of the light fading, he turned back around and grinned at Ku. His free arm went to his side. "Yeah. Yeah, that sounds like an idea." He could feel that his shirt already appeared to be soaked with blood, and he was suddenly glad that he'd worn a black shirt so that it wouldn't be as obvious. They had to get out, and then he'd get somebody to have a look at it. If they made it out, of course.

He headed back up the stairs, still clutching his gun with his free hand. He wasn't sure how many bullets he had left, but he knew that Scarlet and the others were armed, so it wasn't like they were ever going to be entirely unarmed.

Scarlet nudged Kurureenu back onto her feet before the two started off after Seth. Kurureenu was considerably happy to see Seth and Scarlet. As they continued up, she grabbed one of the weapons Scarlet had on her. "This... This is mine," Kurureenu whispered, giving Scarlet a sideways glare toward the silent, smirking woman.

"Doc knows what's up and says to keep him informed if we need more backup."

Seth nodded. He was almost surprised to find that there wasn't anyone waiting for them upstairs. If they'd been ambushed, they surely had known they were coming. Maybe they hadn't expected them to make it this far. But he wasn't going to be complacent.

And, sure enough, another group of officers were waiting for them near the door. As soon as Seth saw them, he knew that there was no way they were going to sneak past them and get out any other way. The pain in his side hadn't faded at all, and, he could feel the light-headedness starting to come on. But he needed to make it through the fight.

"Get the girl. Kill everybody else if you have to." One snarled, and Seth raised his gun, taking his hand from his side to steady the gun as he started to fire.

The girls were relieved when there was no one up the stairs. Kurureenu had been tossing worried glances toward Seth's direction as they ran. He faced all those people by himself, there was no way he was going to make it out of that mess unscathed. Her thoughts were abruptly halted when another group of officers blocked them off.

"Seriously?" Scarlet scoffed as she heard what they said. "Have you seen her chew gum and walk in a straight line?" She held up her own weapon, standing with Seth and firing. "Hurry up, Ku."

"On it!" she sneered, focusing herself once more on bending the light to her will.

Seth kept firing, all while looking for a way out. He was severely doubting his ability to last long enough to take them all out- assuming that they didn't take him out first. He knew that Ku was going to try and blind them, but he was willing to be that some of them would be armed with darts. His eyes landed on the sprinkler system above his head, and an idea struck him. Shock would give them a few seconds of a head start, and their transportation was right outside. "Guys, when I say now, run for the door," He said, barely loud enough for them to hear. He raised his gun to point at the pipes running above his head and prayed that he had at least one bullet left. "NOW!" He squeezed the trigger, showering water down on all of them. He adjusted his aim and fired again to drench even more of them in icy cold water. He turned and ran, seeing the girls ahead of him. Every breath hurt, and he could feel his head starting to spin dangerously. As they made it out, he knew that he wasn't in any condition to drive. He fished out his keys and pressed them into Scarlett's hand. His free hand pressed against his side. "Scarlet, you're going to need to drive." He said. He'd barely finished speaking before his legs buckled and his vision went black.

Kurureenu glanced over at him, nodding a small nod as she put a hand on one of Scarlet's shoulders in preparation. As soon as she heard the metal on metal of the bullet to the sprinkler pipe, she bolted. With Scarlet in tow, she ran toward the exit, glancing back to see Seth following along not too far after them. Once they were outside, Scarlet's attention was taken by Seth, who handed her the keys before collapsing.

"Seth!" Kurureenu called, running up to keep the man from hitting the ground with a bit of a grunt. "God, men are heavy." Scarlet was already helping Kurureenu with the human load, taking him over to the car that was idling close-by and quickly putting him inside with Jack's help. "Go, go!" Kurureenu hollered to Tim as she started to assess the damage that Seth had taken. Scarlet was already close behind them when they made it to the street and drove off.

"What's the damage? I need to know if we need to take him to the hospital here," Tim hollered over, the inside of the car suddenly falling into a bit of chaos.

The bullet had thankfully missed Seth's lung and hadn't embedded itself in any of his ribs. It had gone straight through his chest, meaning that he was bleeding from two wounds. His shirt was soaked in his blood, but his breathing was steady. He was safely out of the count, though- the physical exertion combined with the blood loss had simply drained him too much.

Kurureenu looked at the wound, feeling a bit queasy from the site of it. "Bullet wound," she choked out. "I think there's an exit wound on the other side, though."

Tim nodded, getting onto the ramp for the highway. "Apply direct pressure to the wounds to reduce bleeding. I'm going to try to decrease the travel time to get home," he told her, hitting the gas as soon as they hit the highway. It wasn't too long before the reached the house and Jack, Kurureenu, and Tony were bringing Seth through the door while Tim got an area ready for him. It wasn't long before Tim was working behind a makeshift closed door, forcing the others and his mother to stay in the living room area.

Please be okay, Seth... Kurureenu prayed, laying back on the couch and closing her eyes. She didn't have much medical sense, but she wondered if the would Seth received could turn out fatal. She felt Miss Rose's old parchment hands on her shoulders, giving her some comfort.

When Seth woke up, the pain in his side was numbed considerably. It wasn't gone entirely, but it was bearable. His head felt heavy, though, and he felt incredibly tired. At least he was alive. What was more, he doubted that OMEN would have had the consideration to give him painkillers, so he guessed that he was either in the hospital or back at the house. Either way, he was safe. He let himself close his eyes again, his whole body hungering for sleep.

Tim had finished awhile ago and had Tony and Jack carefully assisted to get him back to the futon like before. After fussing with his mother and wiping the table as clean as he could, him and the rest had went about with the rest of their day.

Kurureenu, on the other hand, didn't want to leave Seth alone in case he woke up in need of something and vouched for sitting on the recliner that was a few feet away and off to the side of where Seth was at. In due time, she had nodded off as she was reading, the book dropping from her hand and loosing her place in it on the floor. She was quite relieved to hear Tim earlier announce that he was okay, but being tied up overnight at OMEN left her rather weary and tired herself.

Seth woke up again, grimacing a little as he felt the burning in his side. The painkillers were still working, but to a lesser extent as they had been previously. He wanted to stretch, but knew that doing so would probably be a stupid idea. Great. Now he was going to be sofa bound for a week or so, until he could talk Tim into letting him move around again. He coughed a little and grimaced again, looking over at Ku. He grinned a little as he saw her curled up on the chair, fast asleep. Poor thing had probably been worrying about him ever since he'd passed out. Part of him knew he should leave her to sleep, but he wanted to talk.

"You're cute when you're asleep, you know."

Kurureenu turned slightly in the chair, getting a position that was facing him a bit straighter. "I was told that the only reason I was cute asleep in any way was because I was finally shutting up," she told him, a small smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth. "So I can't seriously take that as much of a compliment."

She chuckled slightly and stretched her arms, glancing around her before finding the book on the floor. "Is there anything I can get for you? You're probably in pain or something now. Tim had to quickly mend you up on the kitchen table, but he said you should heal up just fine with some scarring."

He laughed a little, wincing. He managed to sit up a little as she spoke, almost being glad to do so. "I think I'm okay on painkillers- I'll keep my head clear for as long as possible. Could you get me a glass of water, though? My mouth is a little dry." He smiled at her, glad that the both of them were safe.

Kurureenu nodded, setting the book she picked up on the arm of the recliner. "Right away, Seth," she told him with a smile before hopping up from the recliner and heading out to the kitchen. She remembered the table being bloodied earlier from Tim having to use it in such a makeshift way to make sure Seth was okay. It seemed that Miss Rose had fussed at him to clean every speck of his work from the kitchen when he was done because the place was now spotless.

She soon returned with a glass of water in hand and knelt in front of Seth, holding it out for him. "Anything else you need?" she asked him, smiling slightly.

He shook his head, grinning at her as she handed him the water. "Nah, I'm good." He watched her. Now that he knew that they were both safe, he was wonering how she was holding up. She'd been through a lot in the past few days. She'd been through a lot since they'd met, actually. "You okay?" He asked, taking a sip of his water.

Kurureenu's smile dropped a bit when he asked if she was okay and she shrugged slightly, leaning back onto her hands. "I'm not sure," she murmured, tilting her head slightly. "I was worried and scared last night but still kept a brave face. I knew you guys would come and get me. Then there was you getting shot and..." Kurureenu shook her head slightly, sighing. "I was really worried about you, Seth."

He sighed, taking a mouthful of the water. "I know, Ku. I was so worried about you, so I was probably being a bit rash. But I'm fine now. I've been dealing with this kind of thing ever since I joined up. My body is probably used to losing blood at this point. I'm fine." He reassured her, smiling.

Kurureenu nodded slightly and quirked a small smile at him. "You better be fine. I don't know what I can do to ya, but I have mutants, a doctor, and Miss Rose on my side to torture you senseless," she told him, letting out a small laugh. "But let's not think of that. Do you need anything else? I can call one of the boys to help you pee."

She smirked, watching to see how he'd react to her statement.

He rolled his eyes at her comment, returning a smirk. "Please. I can pee by myself, I still have my dignity and my pride. Trust me, by this time tomorrow, myself and Tim will probably have gotten into a shouting match because he'll be saying I'm overexerting myself and I'll be itching to do something other than lying around. Unless somebody drugs me to keep me quiet." He looked over at her and raised an eyebrow. "I better not be giving you ideas."

Status
Not open for further replies.