Forging New Paths

A great idea. The reassurance calmed him a little, letting him know it was all right and he hadn't cheated. "Sorry. . ." He said softly, with a small frown at the thought of causing trouble. He hadn't meant to make anyone worry.

When asked if they could keep playing, he nodded and kicked backwards a little, preemptively getting farther away from Anthony as he came closer. The quick change to coming towards him startled Luca, but when he turned around to swim away it was with a little smile on his face. Still, he wasn't as quick a swimmer as Anthony was, and came to a stop after a hand tapped his leg.

"Oh." He treaded water for a moment, turning to look at Anthony with something almost puzzled on his face. "I'm . . . 'it'?" What now? Did he let Anthony have a headstart?

"Oh, no need to apologize! We're just glad you're okay," Garrett replied with a nod.

He swam away in a pretend panic when Anthony and Watson were after him. But then Luca got caught instead, and he turned and smiled. Without even thinking about it, he subtly swam closer to Luca so he'd be easier to catch.

Anthony nodded and chuckled. "Yep! Now you gotta try to catch me or Garrett!" he announced. He turned and swam off, Watson still riding on his head. But then he paused when the cat meowed and stiffened. ". . . Watson? What's up . . .? Hey!" He blinked and watched in surprise when the cat jumped off his head and swam straight for shore, where he shook his fur out and crawled under the umbrella. "Watson, what's wrong?"

Garrett blinked in surprise as first. But then he heard a distant rumble in the air, and he nodded. "Ohhh. Rain on the way. Maybe a thunder storm," he announced. "We'll have to finish our game of tag later. I think we'd better dry off and head home before the rain hits, hm?"

The way that Garrett and Anthony acted when they were playing was so strange. Strange wasn't the right word, though, Luca thought. Energetic, maybe. Or even just 'fun'. He liked it, no matter what word it was supposed to be called by, and when he could spare the energy for it they made him smile.

He was still trying to decide who he should swim towards when Anthony stopped, frowning as Watson swam quickly away. It made him worry his friend was hurt until Garrett explained, though he wasn't sure why rain was scary if Watson liked water, and he was quick enough to nod and follow the others back towards shore.

"You've got some time," Evelyn said as they reached the shore, leaning on a hand and looking at her phone since the slowly encroaching overcast had removed the need for her parasol. "No need to hurry too much." She had their towels sitting folded nearly on the end of the blanket closest to them already, and water bottles sitting out for them to drink though they hadn't gotten to swim for very long. "Who knew the weather would turn so quickly."

Luca was frowning a little still even as he wrapped his towel around himself, watching Watson come to the blanket and shake himself. "Is he okay?" Was he scared of rain? He hoped Watson wasnt too upset.

The detective staggered out of the water, gratefully scooping up one of the towels Evelyn had laid out for him, thanking her softly, and ruffling it through his hair.

He nodded and reached down to stroke Watson when he passed by, who meowed and arched up under his hand to get pet better. "More than okay. He's very clever," he assured Luca. He nodded towards the sky. "It can be dangerous to swim during a storm. The currents can shift, and if there's lightning, you could get struck. I think Watson knows it's safer on dry land during that time."

"Awww. And we were just getting into tag, too!" Anthony added, clicking his tongue. He grabbed a towel too and wrapped it around himself. Then he noticed his phone had some notifications. "Ooooh, who texted? Oh! Garrett, your phone's got messages, too!"

"Oh?" the detective asked. He hummed and scooped it carefully off the blanket. Then his eyes lit up, and he smiled. "Ah, it's good news! Luca and Evelyn, you both up for another FaceTime with Beckett and Shiloh when we get home?"

"Oh," Luca said softly, something thoughtful in his tone. "Very smart. . ." He wasn't sure how Watson knew it was going to rain. Luca knew what rain clouds looked like, but he didn't think cats understood that.

"Better not to get too cold, regardless," Evelyn said, picking up a spare towel and shifting over on her knees to give Watson a good dry. "Come on then, little swimmer. You're not getting in the car all wet." She looked up at Garrett's surprise and gave a small smile. "They have something exciting to share? Oh, I sent you both a text from Luca's phone so you'll have his number now. Once you're dried off we can have a look at it, Luca."

He pulled his eyes away from the sky to look at her again, curious, and finally worked a little more at drying his hair. He had used other people's phones plenty, so he assumed it would be the same, but it was nice to have things that were his.

"Mhm! My guess is, he can probably smell the rain coming sooner than the rest of us," Garrett said, nodding. "Very clever cat. We all picked a good name for him."

Watson purred and rubbed up against the towel and Evelyn's hands, grateful for the extra help in getting dry.

Garrett nodded and finished drying off. "I'll say they do! I don't want to spoil it, of course. But it's very, very good news and I'm absolutely thrilled by it."

It was difficult to contain himself, even on the car ride home, and Anthony only just barely managed to distract himself by checking the phones with Luca to make sure they each had each other's numbers. But at long last, the group arrived home.

And once everyone had dried off and settled in on the couch, Garrett called up Shiloh's phone.

He answered at once with a wide smile. "Heyyy! Good to see you guys!" he announced.

Beckett popped in over his shoulder, followed by the lighthouse keeper in his yellow coat on the other side. "You guys remember Captain Starfish, right?"

"Ahoy," Starfish greeted in a warm, rumbling voice.

"I do," Garrett replied with a nod. "Captain? The boys said you all had some news for us?"

The older man chuckled and looped one arm over each boys' shoulder. "Aye," he replied. "Well - two items of news, really. Th' first bein' I'm hirin' me boys on full time as lighthouse keepers! And the second - oh, I went and spoiled it, didn't I?"

Beckett burst out laughing. "He's adopting us! Both of us!"

Evelyn had reached her limit, she thought, of people she would allow to get close to her or that needed her care, so she wasn't bothered that Beckett and Shiloh were most eager to share their news with Garrett and Anthony. Perhaps eventually they would end up on Luca's list of friends to send messages to.

When they made their way back to the house and got themselves cleaned up, she couldn't help being amused by how they had to squish into the couch to huddle around Garrett's phone. Even Luca was getting used to video calls enough to wave and say hello when everyone else did, and listened with more attention than he might otherwise when being pushed up against Garrett's shoulder eliminated his powers as a distraction.

"Adopt you?" Evelyn repeated with a surprised little glance at Garrett and a small, uncertain smile on her face. "That's amazing news." They'd gotten so close in such a short amount of time. It was kind of the Captain to take them in.

"At the lighthouse?" Luca wondered out loud, though more at her and the others around him rather than the phone. Would they see it someday, he wondered? He wasn't sure how long it had been since he'd seen the ocean.

Garrett grinned from ear to ear and held the phone close. "Oh! That's great news, Shiloh and Beckett! I'm so happy for you all."

Shiloh nodded. "Thanks! Yeah, Luca, we're living at the lighthouse. It's so nice up here. And don't worry! That offer still stands for you guys to come visit sometime. No pressure. But I can't even - I'm so excited, you guys have no idea!"

"Not more excited than me!" Beckett protested. "I have a new brother and a dad now! This is the best day ever!"

Garrett glanced at Evelyn and smiled, nodding. Then he looked back at the group. "I'd love to attend the adoption ceremony, if I may. Could you text me the details?"

"Sure! You can all come, if ya want," Captain Starfish added brightly. "Haven't set a date yet. Any particular one I should aim for?" Evelyn's insight might pick up a few things about the weathered sea captain. The years he'd spent alone in the lighthouse. The absolute confusion he'd encountered when meeting the boys for the first time, after they'd snuck into the place thinking it was abandoned. And how much he'd come to care about them in just a short time. They were certainly his boys now, no doubt about it.

It was clear enough even without the extra notions Insight gave her that the Captain was serious. He wouldn't have offered to let them stay, and certainly wouldn't have brought them into his family if he didn't mean it. Though she didn't fully understand how other people could attach themselves so quickly, she was happy for them. They all seemed glad that it was happening.

Luca looked at Evelyn when it was suggested they come visit, and though she was hesitant still Evelyn had to concede that it might be a good first trip. Relatively isolated, away from crowds and noises louder than the ocean. He might even like it, given how much he liked the aquarium. But she was not going to let him swim in the ocean.

"I should really check our calendar," she said gently, "but I'll have Garrett send you a message when we can settle on a date. I'm sure it's lovely." She wasn't entirely fond of the wind around the ocean, but the water was nice to look at. She just had to make sure that Luca would be all right with a long car ride, and they would need to make sure it didn't overlap with any of his therapy appointments since she was sure the phone signal wasn't terribly consistent. But it was plausible. She thought they could do it.

"I want to see it. . ." Luca said, his voice as soft as it always was when he dared to ask for things. How could she deny him?

Last edited:
"Please do! An' no rush. Happy to hold off until you all can make it. Beckett an' Shiloh talk about you three all the time," Captain Starfish added.

Garrett's expression softened when Luca announced, very very quietly, that he'd like to see the lighthouse. If it was up to him, he'd have taken him then and there. But he knew Lily would want to think things over and prepare for the trip - which was probably wiser anyway. It was a good thing Luca wasn't the manipulative sort or he'd have them wrapped around his finger more than he did already. "Yes, we'll talk it over and plan it out. I'm very glad you're all having a wonderful time. And thank you for all the pictures you send!"

"Sure!" Shiloh said cheerfully. "Hey, Luca, Evelyn, do you both have phones? We could send photos to you too, if you want!"

Beckett's eyes squinted happily when he turned his head and got a little bit more into the sunlight. "Yeah! We got some really cool ones!"

"Oh, like the one where ye both nearly fell off the roof an' gave me a heart attack?" Captain Starfish teased.

Last edited:
Evelyn gave Shiloh a little smile despite having wanted to avoid handing over her personal number, but there was really no getting out of it without being rude. It wasn't that she disliked the boys, though she harbored bad memories of poor Beckett, but she really didn't want to receive messages all the time. She supposed she could just mute her notifications and check every once in a while.

"I'll have Garrett send our numbers over," she promised, so she wouldn't have to go through repeating them out loud, and winced a little at the captain's story. "Isn't that roof several stories high?" She hoped Beckett could still stick to walls, in that case.

Luca frowned at that, taking several seconds to think it over and frowning afterwards. "That's dangerous." Evelyn was glad, at least, that he realized that.

"We'll make sure to let you know when we know what days we're available to visit. Do try not to fall off roofs in the meantime?"

Shiloh blushed in embarrassment and rubbed the back of his neck. "Okay, listen. We never meant to fall off the roof. I didn't even want to be up on the roof, but - "

"That was when I was still getting my powers back," Beckett explained. "They gave out on the roof, for a little bit, and I started sliding and yelled for Shiloh to come help me." He cleared his throat. "Don't worry. My powers are back now, but I don't climb that high any more. Just to where it's safe. Shiloh and Captain Starfish made me promise."

The sea captain nodded. ". . . Aye. Ah got the net out an' everything, but I turned about twenty shades of white, seein' you two danglin' up there."

Garrett let out a slow breath. ". . . I can imagine. Glad to hear it won't happen again." He smiled gently. "And I'm glad you're all safe. We'll get back to you with a date as soon as we can, hm? Stay safe. Have fun. And get some good rest tonight!"

"Will do! Bye, everybody!" Shiloh called, waving a hand.

"Bye!" Beckett added, waving a hand and three legs.

Garrett hung up the phone and nodded. Then he stretched. "Mm. Storm's moving in. I can hear the rain," he said at last. "Who's up for a rainy day story, or perhaps a nap?"

Evelyn breathed a frustrated sigh at Beckett's near miss, even knowing they were all right. It was bad enough thinking of them being in danger, and she was glad that everything had turned out well - and that they'd learned their lesson. "Be careful, boys. We'll see you soon."

Luca tilted his head a little at the phone when they'd hung up, raising his hand a bit and leaning his body as if trying to imagine how Beckett got so many legs in the air. "How does he stay up. . ."

Evelyn couldnt help but laugh softly at the question, patting him on the shoulder as she got to her feet. "Try not to think about it. I'll put the kettle on." She was sure Garrett would want his hot chocolate."

The rain went on well into the evening. After a story, a long nap, and eventually a movie night, it drew closer and closer to evening. Anthony was elated. Pretty soon, he was convinced it would be too late to send him and Garrett home, and Evelyn would invite them to stay.

He always felt safer when there were other people at home.

He snuggled deeper into his blanket and tried to make himself look extra comfy. Maybe it would convince Evelyn he needed to go to sleep.

Unbeknownst to him, Garrett had already set about asking Evelyn's permission for them to sleep over. About five minutes before the movie ended, he scooped his phone out and quietly texted Evelyn, humming softly. [Say. Should I take Anthony home after this, or should we stay over? And speaking of home . . . how would you feel about me bringing him to my apartment? I feel like a more permanent home might help him relax a little more. The office is nice, but it's . . . well, it's not exactly meant to be lived in full time.]

Besides, he was sure Anthony got lonely over those long stretches of time when he was just at the office or out on patrol. If he was at the apartment, he'd have a bit more space to have fun in, and to hang out with Garrett and Watson as well.

There were always people in the house now. It had been all right, just he and Evelyn for a while, but Luca found he liked it even more when there were other people, too. Garrett and Anthony were his protectors and friends, and he felt more calm when they were around. It was good even just to nap with someone else around, so when he woke he didn't have to move his arms just to check if he could, to be sure he wasn't back in his old room with the door locked and his wrist aching. Even if they weren't touching, it felt warmer in the house just to hear the voices he'd grown so used to.

By the time Garrett texted her, Evelyn was sitting with Luca draped across her lap, his head on a pillow on her other side with one leg still mostly in front of him and the other extended over Anthony's legs as if he wanted to be able to touch all of them at once. She didn't think it looked very comfortable, but he seemed content so she only ran her fingers through his hair and let him be for a while. For a moment she studied the text, turning her brightness down so as not to disturb everyone and thinking over how to word her answer.

You can stay if you'd like. She sent finally, holding back a little smile to herself. He's trying to grow roots down into the couch anyway. It had not escaped her, even without Insight to aid her, that he didn't want to move. It would be good for him to have a more permanent home. I think it will reassure him that he's not going to be left behind. Will you be all right having a roommate? She was hypocritical for asking, perhaps, but she'd had weeks to prepare before she'd brought Luca into her life and home, and it had still been a big adjustment even after that. She was sure Garrett had thought it over already but it didn't hurt to ask.

Garrett's face lit up when he finally got a text back in reply. At long, long last, Evelyn trusted Anthony enough to fully accept him into the group and share the location of both safe houses with him. He smiled and nodded. [I'd love having another person at home with me. It'll make it less lonely when I don't have time to visit you and Luca, not counting Watson.]

He glanced over and snuck a subtle picture of Anthony snuggled up and Luca sprawled out across the couch. Then he sent it to Evelyn along with another text. [We'd be happy to stay the night. Luca doesn't look like he wants to move, either. Would you like both of us to stay tomorrow while he has the therapy session? Just in case he needs us after?]

Anthony let out a wide yawn and rested his head against the side of the couch. If he fell asleep, they'd have to let him sleep over, right? He was probably too heavy to carry. Of course, they could wake him up and ask him to leave - but the more time he could squeeze out of the group, the better.

Evelyn wasn't sure how to reply to the idea of Garrett not feeling lonely anymore, purely because it made her heart feel heavy at the thought of how he had lived before. Focused on his work as she had been, surely, but feeling empty and alone. It made her feel sad for him, even though she could see a bit of herself in it, too.

He's going to have to let me up eventually, she texted back instead when he mentioned Luca also trying to grow roots into the couch, a little smile on her face. I'm sure he would like you to be here, but you don't have to stay all day. Why don't you go home after breakfast, get new clothes, relax a little, then come back whenever you're ready? Maybe bring back a bag in case you sleep here again.

Given how glued Anthony and Garrett were to Luca - and to her, she had to admit to herself - they were likely to stay rather late again.

[That sounds like a wonderful idea,] Garrett texted back at once. [That'll give me a chance to show Anthony around the apartment, too! I think maybe Watson could stay here during the appointment, though. Having him at hand really seemed to help last time. Besides, Watson is completely obsessed with Luca :) ]

He leaned back against the couch and folded one arm behind his back, chuckling a little. [So, what's the plan for extracting Luca off the couch? Or Anthony, for that matter. I haven't even had the chance to convert it into a mattress yet. Maybe we could wake him up briefly and have him wait nearby? Or I suppose the couch is big enough for him to sleep as is.]

Then he blinked when he noticed Anthony cracking one eye open to see if anyone was watching him. "Oh! Anthony, you little sneak," he teased. "Are you fake sleeping over there?"

Anthony snorted, but he blushed in embarrassment and sank further under the covers. "What? No . . . Okay, maybe. I - I just really like spending time with all you guys. I don't want it to end," he admitted softly.

You can come back for the appointment, if you want to, Evelyn reassured, Just don't hurry if you don't want to. We would be glad to babysit Watson.

Evelyn chuckled when Anthony was woken up, running a hand over Luca's shoulder when he stirred slightly at the commotion and draw his half open eyes away from the television. "It's all right," she said gently. "If you're so tired, you can pull out the couch bed and stay here for the night. Do you want to sleep out here, Luca?"

He twisted a little to look at her, blinking sleepily, and nodded once he'd realized what she was asking. He liked it when everyone crammed into the same space together. Evelyn liked to sleep in her own bed, but it was fine if it was just Anthony and Garrett with him. He knew she was still somewhere in the house as he slept.

The detective smiled. [You know how clingy we are. We'll try and give you both some space during the appointment and come back about ten minutes before it's scheduled to be done,] he decided.

Anthony beamed when he discovered he and Luca and Garrett were all going to share the same bed. Nothing was more comfy than knowing that people who cared about him were going to be right nearby all night long. He staggered out of his blanket and held it in his arms, waiting patiently near the couch. "Sounds great to me! Thanks, Evelyn," he added.

Once everyone was off the couch, Garrett helped Evelyn convert it into a bed, and then he crawled on and patted the mattress. "All right, guys. Everybody in," he announced. He met Evelyn's eyes with a smile. "And you get some good sleep, okay?" He didn't dare say the actual words. But he hoped the tone of his voice communicated "I care about you" as much as they were able.

Anthony claimed a spot on Garrett's left side, curling up and yawning. There was plenty of room for Luca to squish in wherever he wanted, whether that was between the pair, on one side of Garrett, or one side of Anthony.

Watson sat on the top of the couch and waited for everyone else to settle while scoping out the spot he wanted.