Forging New Paths

It was easier than speaking, sitting with their shoulders leaned together and his hand in hers, close enough she had to prop her parasol up over both of their heads. She hoped it was enough to convey how important he had become to her, until she could find the courage to say it out loud.

"Thank you," she said quietly, the screen flicking and changing like she was pressing the buttons that appeared despite her hands never coming near it. It wasn't good for any sort of defense or offense, but at times her technopathy could come in handy. "I'll set it up like mine for now, and save our numbers to his contacts. He's not very good at phone calls, but I'm sure he'll like being able to call you."

Luca wasn't sure what all the clues were supposed to mean, except that they led in a slightly looping trail around the trees and bushes near the lake, but he followed Anthony eagerly enough to take pictures and help look for what might be what they were supposed to find. The last one, strangely enough, was the most surprising.

"A shoe?" He repeated, getting up from looking at their last clue to see what Anthony had found, and peeking around the tree when he did to see that Garrett was indeed missing one. It was funny, and he would have smiled at it, but more important than the missing shoe was what else he could see. Garrett and Evelyn, sitting very close together and holding hands, with looks on their faces he almost couldn't make any sense of. They looked . . . soft. It was the only word he could think of, unable to fully describe the shy but content way they sat together without looking at each other.

After a pause in which he tried to decide what feeling it gave him, Luca pulled up Anthony's camera again and zoomed in to take a picture of them.

Garrett's heart fluttered when Evelyn sat even closer. He couldn't put it into exact words, what their relationship was at the moment. But he knew it was very, very good. He leaned against her as well and enjoyed the shade from her umbrella as she worked on Luca's phone and he watched.

"I'd like being able to call him, too," Garrett said with a smile. "I'll let him know he can call or text any time he likes. Oh! I suspect Anthony might want to share his number with Luca as well. We can ask first, but I'm fairly certain he'll say yes."

Anthony cracked up over Garrett's shoe for a bit longer before he, too, realized how close the pair were sitting together. "Aww. They look so peaceful," he murmured. "I think they really like each other. I mean like, romantically." He sighed dreamily and tilted his head.

Then he turned back to Luca and nodded. "Anyway, I think that's all the clues. Should we head back and show Garrett what we found?"

It was difficult to describe what she wanted from him in words, even to herself. What Evelyn knew in that moment was that she wanted to be at his side, even if they weren't doing much at all. There were a lot of distractions still, things she had to get done like caring for Luca and getting back to her work, but it was good to feel that she wasn't alone anymore.

"I'm sure they'll want to contact each other," she said, idly shifting around apps that came stock on the phone until they were largely in the same place as hers and he wouldn't struggle to find them, then added both hers and Garrett's contacts. She would have added Anthony's already, but given Garrett's comments decided it was best to ask first. After the basic setup was done, she went about adding the reader app she used with her own account so he would still have the same books, as well as a few small puzzle games she knew he liked. "He must have had a tablet or something before we found him. He figures things out fast." She was sure his internet access had been restricted or strictly monitored, to avoid him finding help that way, but clearly he still had some experience with modern technology.

Romantically. Was that what it was, the odd looks on their faces and in their body language that he couldn't place? He wasn't sure what to think about it. They looked hesitant, sometimes, and comfortable others. Was that what it was like, to feel 'romantic'? He only had his own parents to think of as an example, and he didn't think it was safe to start remembering that yet.

It took Anthony saying his name to draw his attention back finally, and Luca blinked and gave himself a little shake when he realized he'd drifted away, trying to focus. "Okay. . ." He said softly, unsure if they were supposed to stay away, and after a moment to realize he still had something in his hands held it out for Anthony to take. "Your phone."

Anthony blinked and glanced down at the phone briefly before glancing back up at Luca with a shrug. "Yeah, but you took the pictures. You can hold it while we show them, if you want! You're great with technology. I trust you."

He strolled over to the pair on the blanket, smirking and holding up the shoe. ". . . Lose something, Garrett?"

"My shoe!" Garrett burst out in delight. He grinned and held out a hand out. "Here, toss it! I'll catch it!" And when Anthony had lobbed the shoe over, he grabbed it and put it back on. "Thank you. That . . . actually wasn't one of the clues. I lost it for real."

Anthony burst out laughing. "You're a detective! You're not allowed to lose things!" he teased.

"Well, as it turns out, I am," Garrett replied with a chuckle. "But luckily I have two other detectives to help me locate things. How'd you do with the clues? What did you find?" he added, leaning forward with sparkling eyes.

Luca paused, surprised, and looked down at the phone in both of his hands. He was getting it a lot more lately, but praise was still something that put an uncertain but pleasant little flutter in his chest. He had ever been good at anything before - or at least, that was what people told him. Good for nothing but death and destruction, more a weapon than a person. Being good at small, seemingly meaningless things made it feel like he was changing. Someday, he would be more person than weapon. Someday.

Evelyn laughed softly at the return of Garrett's shoe, letting his hand slide from hers without protest rather than pulling it away fast enough to look suspicious. Even if she felt uncertain about other people knowing anything about her, it wouldn't be a secret, she and Garrett beginning to date, or whatever it was they were doing. Especially not from Anthony or Luca.

"He was a little overeager, I think," she said with an amused little smile. "Thank you for finding it."

Luca settled in on the blanket in front of them, sitting where he could lay the phone down so everyone could see and finding the photo app upside down. "We took pictures."

"You did, eh? Good plan. Photograohic evidence can be very helpful," Garrett complimented them.

Anthony beamed. "It was so fun! We found that candy wrapper you left - brought that with, too, so we wouldn't litter - and your muddy handprint, and the broken sticks, and - " He gushed on for a while, excitedly describing the different clues and how they'd figured out which ones were which. He also made sure to leave pauses in his conversation or occasionally turn it over to Luca; he didn't want to take all the excitement for himself.

Garrett listened politely, smiling and nodding and rubbing his chin. "Well done," he announced at the end. "That was every single clue! Plus my shoe, so bonus points for that." He ruffled each of their hair, and then stood up and pulled his shirt and pants off to strip down to his swimsuit. His shoulder muscles flexed when he straightened back up and stretched a bit. There were a few scars across his body, most small and unnoticeable, but most of his skin was smooth. "So! You two ready to celebrate by going swimming?"

Watson's ears perked up. He yawned and stretching, arching his back before swishing his tail and glancing between Garrett and the water. Evidently, he did want to try and swim.

Last edited:
Evelyn couldn't help but feel pleased, watching her way Luca smiled under Garrett's praise, eagerly pulling up the photos to show everyone what he and Anthony had been up to. She was sure to give him attention without neglecting Anthony, though Luca's own comments were small and said quietly. The footsteps were deep, there were so many sticks. She was sure there was more depth to each thought in his head, they just had to work on him being able and willing to articulate them out loud.

When Garrett stood up and started stripping she couldn't help a little laugh. "Well you sure don't waste any time, do you."

Luca perked up a little when Garrett mentioned swimming, looking briefly to Evelyn for permission before sitting up to start taking off his shirt with much less obvious enthusiasm.

"Before you go, Anthony," Evelyn called softly for his attention, "is it all right if I put your number in Luca's contacts? I think I'll sit this one out, so I can send the photos to him while you're out swimming. You should all be putting on sunscreen, before you go."

Garrett grinned and slicked his hair back with a hand. "What can I say? I love swimming," he admired at last. Then he blinked. "Oh! Right. Sunscreen. Thanks, Evelyn." He flopped down on the dirt and spent a few minutes spreading sunscreen over his skin and helping Anthony and Luca with theirs. Eventually, he was almost ready, but he scooted towards Evelyn and handed her the tube. "Hey, would you mind getting my back, please? Only spot I can't reach easily."

Anthony had paused after putting his phone and clothes in a bag to nod at Evelyn, smiling. "Yeah! Go right ahead. Me and Luca can text all the time if he wants. That sounds great." Then he splashed into the water, knowing Garrett would catch up soon. "C'mon, Watson and Luca! Swimming time!"

Watson meowed and flicked his ears. He stuck one paw delicately in the water at first, and then shook the water off, sniffing at it as though he were testing the temperature. With that decided, he hopped in a few inches at a time, and then paddled towards Anthony, ears back to keep the water out.

She could have laughed at their eagerness if she wasn't busy rolling her eyes. It was a fond sort of exasperation, at least, and though she didn't plan on getting in the water she did put on some sunscreen while they worked on their own. Anthony, especially, was so excited it was almost comical. He really did love the water.

When Garrett came over to her she hesitated for a beat, inexplicably feeling nervous as if he was the one about to touch her, but recovered quickly and took the sunscreen from him with a small smile. "Of course. Need to work on your flexibility?" She teased even as she made sure that his back was covered and he was protected from the sun. Somehow, after the two of them had revealed their feelings for each other, wherever they may lead, it felt different. More . . . intimate, though she knew there was no reason for it to.

"There you are." She said, giving his back a little pat when he was done and turning a little to hold her hand out to Luca until he got the hint to move close enough to her to take it. "Stay near someone, okay?" She urged gently, giving his hand a little squeeze before letting go and smiling for him so he wouldn't feel nervous about leaving her behind. She wouldn't be far away. "Have fun."

He was hesitant, feeling strange about her not being next to him, but it wasn't his first time in the water anymore, and Anthony and Garrett would be right next to him. He liked the water, and he wanted to be in it. Even more interesting, when he turned away from her Watson was already getting in the water too.

"He can swim." He said, surprised, and looked at Garrett once his own feet were in the water, hesitating one last time so that wading into the water wouldn't splash Watson. ". . . It's okay? He'll be safe?"

The detective blushed a little, his ears turning red. "Uhhh . . . maybe a little." He could have gotten his back, if he really worked at it. But asking Evelyn was easier. And it felt better, too. Her soft hand pressed the sunscreen against his back. Like everything else, she worked effectively and covered every space he'd missed. But there was something so gentle about the way she moved, especially when she gave his back a pat afterward, and in spite of himself the butterflies came rushing back into his chest and stomach.

He'd never felt this way before about anyone.

He cleared his throat and slowly stood up, turning to give Evelyn a nod. "Uh - thank you kindly," he stammered at last. "I really appreciate it." He smiled shyly, and then turned to carefully stroll into the water so he wouldn't accidentally splash Watson, either.

And when Luca asked about the cat, he glanced over to meet his eyes and smiled. "Yes, it's okay. He'll be safe. Besides, we'll be here to watch him and make sure he's okay," he pointed out.

Anthony snickered. "He loves the water! Watch!" He sent a small splash towards Watson.

The cat blinked. Then he quickly banked towards Anthony, paddling faster with his face down like a little alligator.

Anthony squealed and swam away. "Aaah, he's after me! Help!" he cried out, laughing.

The way Garrett flushed at her words or her attention was endearing, really. Evelyn couldn't help a small smile as he wandered off with the boys to go swim, feeling something overwhelmingly fond at the sight of them all peacefully together. Safe, she realized with not some small amount of butterflies in her stomach. The feeling he gave her was one that was overwhelming, and terrifying, and yet at the same time he had always made her feel safe. If she could trust him with everything else, she had to be sure she could trust him with her heart.

Luca watched the others play, twitching a bit himself when Anthony splashed water at Watson as if it had been aimed at him too. When the cat turned and started swimming after Anthony he smiled as he watched, with a faint little chuckle under his breath at the sight. "He swims fast. . ." He observed, distracted by watching them even when he'd only gotten wet up to his knees so far. It was lucky Watson liked to play in water. He would've worried if their little friend was afraid.

"It's your own fault for splashing him, Anthony!" Garrett called out, laughing. "Now you'll pay the price!"

"Noooo!" Anthony yelled. Eventually Watson caught up to him, his tiny black paws slapping playfully at the water, and Anthony grinned and scooped the cat out of the water, holding him close and giggling when he licked his cheek. "What a way to go, eh, Watson? Licked to death by a cute cat."

Watson only purred and snuggled up against him. Then he shook his wet fur out and made Anthony splutter and laugh again. "No! Not the water in the face! Watson!"

Garrett snickered and started swimming, moving in slow, lazy strokes around the group. "You're lucky, Anthony. Watson must be feeling generous." He glanced over at Luca and smiled. "He sure does swim fast! Good thing, too, in case he gets tired and needs to go back to shore. Of course, by then one of us could carry him." He turned and floated on his back. "Hey, do you and Anthony want to play tag?"

Anthony grinned and set Watson on his head. "Sure! Watson and me can be a team!"

Last edited:
Luca was slow to come into the water, hesitant as always to do anything and periodically stopping to watch Anthony and Watson playing. He did eventually make it to where the water touched his shoulders but his feet were still on the ground, looking between Garrett and Anthony and wondering if he was supposed to be involved in any games. It had been so long he didn't really remember what games he had played outside as a child. It was only one of the list of things he tried not to remember at all.

"Tag. . ." He repeated softly, trying to think if he knew what it was with a little frown on his face. "How . . . How do you play?" And how was Watson involved? Could Watson play games?

Garrett blinked a few times. Had Luca never learned how to play tag? Or was it one of the memories he'd buried away, one that might lead to a panic attack if it was brought up? He paused for a moment and weighed his options.

It was probably safe enough to teach Luca how to play tag. "Don't worry, it's easy. One person is it, and they try to run after and lightly tap whoever's closest. Like this." He swam over to Anthony and tapped his shoulder. "Now Anthony's it, and he's going to try and chase us! Basically you just take turns chasing each other until you get tired."

Anthony nodded. "Yup! And Watson doesn't understand human games - I think - so he'll just ride on my head while I play. Does that make sense?" he added, treading water with a smile. It wasn't fair to start the game unless he knew Luca understood the rules and was ready. Besides, they weren't in any rush.

As Garrett explained the rules did feel familiar. Luca thought he might have played when he was very little, but didn't try very hard to remember, not wanting anything bad to come of it. Garrett and Anthony's reassurance that it was easy reassured him that it was okay not to truly remember learning it before.

While they explained he moved a little further into the water, until he finally couldn't touch the ground anymore and was closer to where they were treading water. "I think so. . ." He said, though with a little touch of worry in his expression. "I'm not . . . very fast." Anthony was a good swimmer. Luca didn't think he would have any trouble catching up to him, so he hoped that wouldn't make the game less fun for everyone.

"That's okay! The point is just to have fun chasing each other," Anthony assured him with a grin. "You both ready?"

Garrett nodded. "I'm ready!"

"Sweet. Luca?" Once Luca had announced he was ready, Anthony took off swimming through the water, heading for Luca with an outstretched hand. "Watch out, Luca! Me and Watson are coming for you!"

Watson even let out a loud meow, as if to join in on the fun.

Meanwhile, Garrett subtly made his way towards Luca's general direction. Once Luca got tagged, he wanted to make sure he had a fair shot at trying to tag him. He'd probably swim a little slower, too, but not so slow he was suspicious. Hopefully playing tag would give all of them a chance to increase their lung capacity and muscles. Especially Luca.

Luca nodded when Anthony asked if he was ready, though he really wasn't sure if he was. Have fun. He thought maybe he could do that, even if he was nervous about not being good enough at the game, or fast enough to get away. But maybe that was what Garrett and Anthony were trying to tell him; it was okay to be bad at things. Maybe they could still have fun.

When Anthony reached for him there was a short, jarring moment in which he remembered what it was like to have people trying to get to him, to wear his helmet and sink away until he could see but hardly register. But Anthony and Garrett were safe. He was safe, and his Shadow didn't stir beneath his skin like there was anything to be afraid of. Everything was okay, and he was allowed to have fun.

Before Anthony could reach him, rather than swim away, Luca took a breath and ducked down as quickly as he could, pushing himself under until his feet touched the bottom and he could kick off away between the two of them, just out of reach of hands. He swam away as long as he could, which was admittedly not that far for most people, before finally popping up to the surface again and looking a bit disoriented until his eyes found them again. He hadn't thought to ask if going under was allowed.

Anthony giggled and swam full speed ahead with Watson holding onto his hair. But just before he could tag Luca, the boy took a breath and ducked underwater. "Whoa! Wait, what?" Anthony asked, grinning in delight.

He turned around in circles, trying to spot where Luca would bob up, and when he finally did he waved and smiled. "That was so sneaky! Good job, Luca!" he called out. But then he realized Luca looked a bit disoriented. His smile faded slightly, and he stopped where he was. ". . . Are you okay?"

Garrett was already right nearby, and he swam even closer to Luca until he was inches away. The boy did look a little out of it. But maybe it was just from bobbing up so suddenly. Garrett waited a moment, either for Luca to reply or for something to tell him Luca needed to take a break. A few seconds of blurry vision was normal for some people while swimming.

Luca glanced between them when Anthony asked if he was okay, pausing to think it over for a moment as if he wasn't sure. He didn't think anything bad had happened, but if someone was asking it usually meant something had happened that he wasn't aware of.

When Garrett was at his side he still hadn't come up with an answer, just tilting his head ever so slightly as he treaded water and blinking at the detective. ". . . I got turned around." It had taken a minute to realize he was facing the wrong way, but he wasn't sure if that was bad. "Was that bad?" Had he cheated? He hadn't meant to break the rules.

Garrett sighed in relief when Luca came back to himself and got settled again. "Oh, no. Turning around is fine. And diving underwater was a great idea! You just looked a little disoriented. We were worried you might have gotten dizzy and needed a break."

"Can we keep playing tag?" Anthony asked with a smile.

"I think so! What do you say, Luca?" Garrett asked.

Once they'd gotten a reply, they started up the game again. Anthony giggled and swam towards Garrett this time, who yelped in surprise and splashed off towards the shore to get better traction. "Uh-oh! He's after me now!" he yelled.

"You know it!" Anthony called back. Then he smirked and took a hard left towards Luca. "Or am I? Ahahaha!"

Watson meowed and swished his tail in excitement. He liked swimming, but riding on someone's head while they swam was even more fun.