Forging New Paths

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Evelyn was suspicious when Garrett asked for the keys, but not overly so, most of her attention on Luca since she hadn't fully accepted the fact that she might need any assistance herself. She handed over her keys without argument, and it was only after he'd come back with the windows down that she truly started to suspect anything. He was trying to make them feel better, and she was so used to being defensive about it that she almost defaulted to that sort of reaction automatically. It was nice of him, she insisted to herself. She was grateful, truly, but she was also just very stubborn.

"Have you ever considered becoming a valet?" She teased lightly as he gave her back her keys, and gave him a small, tired smile. "Thank you. I'll make sure not to lose you. Luca, do you want to sit in back with Anthony, or up front with me?"

He frowned a little, trying to think and weigh the options, then finally got into the back with Anthony, fidgeting but feeling better about being able to see that there was nothing there to make him sleep again. Anthony would have both hands free in case Luca felt like he needed to hold on to one, as well, and having a third person in the car made it feel less like something bad would happen. Last time there had only been two of them, and now the windows were down, so at least everything was different.

"Everyone buckle up." Evelyn said as she got in, and waited for Garrett to go and get in his own car. She would drive slow at first to make sure he could catch up, and would keep an eye on him in her rear view to be sure she didn't accidentally lose him. It was almost disturbing to think it was as much for herself as it was for him.

Last edited:
Garrett burst out laughing and shook his head. "I have the skills. But I don't tend to seek out the sort of clientele that would want a valet," he said at last. "You're very welcome. And don't worry. If I fall out of view, you can always call my phone and talk to me on speaker phone the rest of the way home," he promised.

Anthony was delighted when Luca decided to sit next to him. He grinned and waved a hand, smiling brightly. "Hi, Luca!" He put his other hand on the middle seat and nodded. "If you want to hold hands, I'll leave mine there for you."

He giggled and pulled on his belt when Evelyn instructed everyone to get buckled up already. "I am buckled!" he announced. Then he blinked and paused. "Oh . . . Evelyn, are you okay with me knowing what your house looks like?" he asked all at once. "Otherwise you can drop me off before we get there, and Garrett can pick me up on the way back."

Evelyn almost wanted to ask Garrett what phone she should be calling him with, but she supposed they could just use Anthony's and she could speak loud enough to be heard from the front seat.

Luca was frowning a little but not panicking yet, just doing as told and buckling himself in. He glanced at Anthony's hand, but for now only twisted his fingers into the seatbelt, not wanting to squeeze too hard while he felt tense. It would be okay. Everyone was saying it would be okay. He was trying very hard to believe it.

"It's all right, Anthony." Evelyn said softly, glancing at them in her rear view mirror as she pulled out onto the street. "I'd say you've more than earned it." As protective as she had been of both Luca and her own privacy, Anthony was no danger to them. It was all right if he saw where she lived.

Anthony smiled proudly and puffed his chest out a little bit. "I have? Wow! Don't worry. I promise I'll keep it a secret."

As the car pulled off down the street, he hummed softly for a few minutes, looking out the window. Eventually he glanced toward Luca and tilted his head. "Hey. How are you doing?" he asked gently. "Do you want to chat in the car, or do you want a quiet ride?" Everyone coped differently, he knew, and he wanted to be mindful of how Luca handled things.

Garrett stayed a good distance from their car. But he was always in sight, and he timed his spacing so he'd go through lights with them and not get left behind. His expression was relaxed, if anyone happened to glance back at him. Everyone was safe now. Especially with the lab having been shut down.

Evelyn surely hoped that after understanding she had kept it a secret from him that he should keep it a secret from everyone else, but verbal confirmation was nice, she supposed. As she drove, eyes flicking perhaps a bit too often to Garrett's car in her mirrors, she turned the radio on quietly so that it wouldn't be so silent in the car but wouldn't make Luca upset by being too loud.

Luca shook his head a little when asked how he was doing, unsure how to put into words what he was feeling. Nervous, maybe. Afraid didn't feel right, but it didn't feel wrong either. He didn't want to say something and be wrong. "I don't know. . ." He managed quietly, grip twisting a little tighter around the chest strap of his seatbelt, eyes glued to his knees like he had to be sure no more gas would rise from the floor of the vehicle. He didn't want everything to be silent, but his own voice was hard to find, buried somewhere deep in his chest.

"Why don't Anthony and I chat a little," Evelyn suggested gently, worried about how he was reacting and hating how large a relapse the incident had caused, "And you can just listen? Is that okay?"

Luca's eyes raised slowly to meet hers in the mirror, and he thought for a long moment before finally nodding a little. Was that okay? He could be quiet and he could hear their voices without having to try and dig his out? He didn't know how to stop it from running away when he was nervous. When bad things had happened before, it had always been better to stay quiet and just do as he was told. Feeling anxious and jumpy made that feeling come back in ways he didn't like.

"What do you think, Anthony?" She asked once he'd nodded for her, signaling early for a turn so Garrett wouldn't lose her. "Do you think some day you'll make Indoor Circus 2.0?"

"Oh, yeah! That works, too," Anthony said warmly. "And Luca, if you want to say something or have a question, you can tap my hand so I know to stop talking. I can be a chatterbox sometimes," he added with a soft chuckle.

Then he turned back towards Evelyn and beamed. "Funny you ask about that! I'm already sketching up some ideas for another indoor circus. If I'm ever allowed to go to Garrett's apartment, I heard it has at least two rooms. I'd love to make the next circus a little bigger! Maybe add more animal themed features. Those were a big hit last time. And maybe I could find a way to make a pretend Ferris Wheel!"

Evelyn had picked his absolute favorite topic in the world to talk about, and he would chat about it the entire way back to her house if she let him.

Eventually, once the group arrived, Anthony sighed happily and unbuckled. "Thanks for letting me ride with you both. And for letting me talk your ears off," he added. "Either of you want a hug before I go? Garrett got me hooked on them."

Luca nodded a little to Anthony's instructions, but he kept his hands to himself for the ride regardless. It was nice, listening to their voices, Evelyn's calm and Anthony's enthused. Even if he lost some of the words and didn't always know what was going on, it was soothing just to listen. If his friends were with him, then everything would be okay, wouldn't it?

Evelyn, for her part, was perfectly content to listen to Anthony go on and on about circus things, listening carefully and prodding with occasional questions or comments to keep him going. It was a welcome distraction for her, too, more than she had anticipated initially. It was harder to worry when she had to focus so she wouldn't be rude and tune Anthony out.

"Respectfully, I will pass," Evelyn said gently, turning down the hug as best she could as she got out of the car. "But why don't you two say your goodbyes on the sidewalk, where its easier to move?" They could all wait for Garrett to pull up behind her before she took Luca inside.

Luca was nodding a little, finally remembering he had to let go of his seatbelt so he could unbuckle, and followed her out of the car to walk around to the sidewalk and stand a bit uncertainly and wait. When Anthony came around, he paused, hesitant, then held his arms out a little and wrapped them tight around Anthony when the younger man leaned into the embrace. If someone held him, that meant he would be all right, too,

Anthony nodded and stood on the sidewalk patiently. "No worries." He made his way over to Luca after a moment, and then gently hugged him, smiling and closing his eyes. "It was nice sitting with you," he said at last. He wouldn't pull away until Luca had first. Not only did Luca probably need extra hugs to make up for lost time - but so did Anthony, and he'd take them for as long as they were available.

Eventually the pair let go of each other. Anthony gave a gentle wave at Luca and Evelyn, letting out a soft breath. "See you soon, I hope! Evelyn, you can text Garrett on my phone whenever you both are ready to hang out again."

Garrett's car pulled up nearby, and he put it in park and hopped out with a smile. "How was the trip? Anybody need a hug before I take Anthony back home?"

Luca was happy enough to hold tightly to Anthony as much as he was allowed, and only started to pull away at the sound of Garrett's car. When the detective got out of his car and offered hugs, he went so far as to step into the street between the two cars to get his, and tried not to think about having them out of his sight after he eventually went inside.

Evelyn stood a bit off to the side on the walkway to her house, having an honest and startling debate with herself about whether or not she would actually want a hug. Perhaps, in the moment, as they had been leaving the horrid building that had tried to keep them. But now that everything had calmed and been put a few hours behind them, her pride and decorum were back in the way again. Asking for a hug was both a sign of weakness and an invitation for feelings she had told herself for years that she no longer needed. The most worrying part of her was the one that wanted him to hold her.

"I'll let you know if we need anything," she said, rather than address the things she didn't have the mental wherewithal to unpack, just then. "Thank you. Both of you."

Garrett wrapped Luca gently in his arms, holding him close and ruffling his hair. "I'm so glad you and Evelyn are safe," he murmured. "I hope you both get plenty of good sleep tonight." Eventually he pulled away - only to immediately get pounced on by Anthony, who also wanted a hug.

He laughed and gave him one, too. Then he glanced up and smiled at Evelyn. "You're very welcome. I'll have my phone on all night, as usual. I'll text you tomorrow once I get an update on your phone."

Eventually, he and Anthony drove home in Garrett's car, waving as they left.

Sleep was easy for Anthony; he was exhausted from all the excitement and not nearly as jaded by things as Garrett.

But Garrett lay awake for a long while, letting Watson, who had curled up near him on the floor. He couldn't help but notice how quickly Luca was bouncing back from the experience, all things considered. He still let Garrett hug him and turn off his powers briefly, still was willing to get back into the car and ride in it after what happened. But he worried whether the additional trauma might make the first week of therapy that much harder.

Luca squeezed Garrett tight, not really wanting to let go, but when he had to he stepped back and managed a small, surprised sort of smile at the way Anthony hurried past him to get one too. Knowing he would have to say goodbye, he moved away finally to stand near Evelyn.

She smiled a little at the thought of being able to not only have her own phone back but to return Anthony's as well, nodding to show he'd heard despite not verbally agreeing to the soft suggestion that she call in the night if she needed to. "Thank you for that. We'll see you soon. Come on, Luca. Let's go in."

Once they'd waved goodbye she took him inside, making sure he was okay and letting him have the shower first so he wouldn't run out of hot water. It was at once comforting and strange, being alone in her quiet home again. She played music so Luca wouldn't find it disturbing, and when she could managed to break away and email his therapist without him knowing. It was another hurdle to get over, and she was so tired of having more dropped in front of them.

That night, she let Luca sleep in her bed, and managed to have herself half convinced that it was only for him. Even with another person there she slept fitfully, waking every few hours with a very convincing feeling of being trapped. Luca was awake half of those times, and she couldn't imagine what it had been like for him, to be confined somewhere when he had only just recently been freed from half a lifetime of captivity.

In the morning, after deciding she wasn't going to sleep anymore and should finally get out of bed, she sent Garrett a text. Mediocre night. Going to take the morning slowly and see how awake Luca is feeling. She wouldn't know until he got up and started to move around if he was going to want to go out or have visitors, or just spend the day curled up on the couch, doing nothing. If Garrett had work to do, she wouldn't stop him.

Garrett had finally fallen asleep around three in the morning, only to wake up again several times throughout the night. Eventually he spotted Evelyn's message once he'd woken up for real and checked his phone. He yawned and rubbed his eyes, skimming the message over. Then he nodded and ran a hand through his hair. No worries. Pretty wiped out myself. Glad it's a spa day today. Let me know if either of you want visitors later. This crew might get rowdy, and I wouldn't mind a quiet place to visit later if you wouldn't mind a visitor.

Eventually he crawled out of the sleeping bag and stood up, cracking his back. He was pleasantly surprised to find Shiloh making breakfast. "Oh! Good morning, Shiloh."

Shiloh smiled and waved a hand. "Hey. Anthony let me and Beckett in earlier. Thought we should make breakfast to say thank you."

"Only I can't cook," Beckett added with a laugh, "So Shiloh made breakfast and I've been guarding the office."

Evelyn had only just begun to consider breakfast when Garrett's text came, and she looked at it idly as she was in the middle of writing down what things they were low on and would need to order or go and pick up. I'd almost forgotten about your spa day. We're going to take it easy, but if it gets too loud over there, feel free to come over. It was probably the closest she would get to asking, now that she was fully awake and aware, separated from uncomfortable dreams by time and consciousness.

Once she'd sent it, she set the phone aside to pull out pancake mix from the cupboard, and eggs from the fridge. Luca had been awake off and on, so she was sure he would be hungry. Eventually he would emerge to come and bother her while she cooked, wanting to help or just to be in her personal space while he was groggy and affectionate. Perhaps later they might even manage to go for a walk, she thought optimistically. The last thing she wanted was for Luca to be afraid to leave the house.

Last edited:
Thank you. I really appreciate it, Garrett replied.

He spent the morning and early afternoon with the three boys. The day started out with a fairly relaxed breakfast, as everyone started to full wake up. Then the spa day began. It started out actually relaxing, while the group gave each other some back massages and turned on some quiet music. But things went awry when it was time to start soaking feet.

Beckett needed several buckets, and several of them wound up slipping - which gave Anthony the idea for an indoor slip and slide. Watson jumped in and out of buckets to swim in each one, and then dragged water throughout the rest of the office. Thankfully, Garrett was able to talk the group out of the indoor slip and slide, but they did start getting a bit rowdy while playfully chasing Watson throughout the office.

It was shortly after lunch that Garrett texted Evelyn to announce he was coming over. I'm on my way, will probably be about fifteen minutes. They're about to start charades and they've got the giggles.

He showed up at Evelyn's front door a short while later, ringing the door bell and wagging dramatically against one of the porch posts.

Evelyn took the morning slowly, making breakfast with Luca and letting him help flip pancakes and scramble eggs when he was awake enough for it, and settling in peacefully at the table to enjoy the sun coming through the windows and sliding glass door to her small backyard. With the house quiet and the sun warming her skin, it almost felt normal, like nothing had ever happened, but there were a great many plans for the future she was sure she would have to change. She spent too long thinking about it, and was glad for the moment when Luca asked her to draw with him.

They were still lazing about the living room, watching nature documentaries and thinking of what to make for dinner later in the day, when Garrett texted. Pray for anything in your office that's breakable. She sent back, in slightly better humor since the day had gone peacefully so far. At least they're getting along.

She warned Luca that Garrett was coming - though his company, at least, was more of a gift than a burden for the young man - but told him she would answer the door when the detective came and that he could continue watching his show about desert animals. Despite feeling relatively safe in her own home, she couldn't help the urge to tell him not to answer the door, like a mother protecting their child.

"Was it that bad?" She asked with a hesitant smile when she found him leaning dramatically in her doorway. "I can't imagine three people can get terribly loud." But then, she probably would have found their volume and enthusiasm draining after a while, herself.

Last edited:
Garrett chuckled and stood up again. "No, not actually. They've all been nothing but respectful all day, and I suppose technically I could have just gone in the other office." He shrugged and cleared his throat. ". . . I, uh . . . I might have used their shenanigans as an excuse to come see you. And Luca, too, of course."

He stepped into the home and let out a deep sigh of relief. "So how have things gone here this morning? It looks like you both had a chance to rest for at least a bit." He didn't immediately go off to hug Luca; he could hear the TV going, and he didn't want to interrupt the young man if he was in the middle of something. He was sure he'd get the chance to hug him at some point. "Have you both had a meal yet? I could make something if not."

The detective hung his hat on a nearby coat rack, and then his coat as well; he was wearing a white buttoned shirt underneath.

It was strange, what just a few words and their pacing could do to make her thoughts slow to a halt. Luca had been the first priority since they had met, for her and for Garrett, or at least she had thought so. To hear him say he had come to see her first was . . . unexpected. It was sweet, and at the same time worrying. She was sure the fact that that was true probably said a lot about her.

Her recovery was quick as she closed the door behind him, managing a little smile as she turned back around. "You don't need to have an excuse," she said with a little shake of her head, loosely crossing her arms for lack of anything better to do with them, and giving herself irritable reminders about closed-off body language even though her posture was still relaxed. "We've been taking it easy today. If you don't mind having help, I'm sure Luca would like making something with you. I have some vegetables I need to use up, and some chicken already cooked. We could make a stir fry of some sort?" Luca would do well with an activity to engage in. They had been working on his knife handling skills.

On hearing Garrett's voice, he had sat up looking a bit groggy from having laid on the couch watching tv for a while, but didn't stand to go and greet the man. He had been getting better at doing the things he wanted and not the things he had been trained to do, but he had gone a long time not having anyone pleasant to greet, or being told to stay put in his room and not show himself to houseguests. Sometimes he forgot that the reason he did things was because bad people had told him to.

Garrett, meanwhile, had finally let some of his worries about Luca ease away slightly. He was in safe, good hands. He'd be starting therapy soon. And he could clearly handle himself well enough in dangerous situations. The detective's focus had slowly begun moving partially towards work again and partially towards letting himself enjoy the friendships he'd begun building.

"Oooh. Stir fry sounds amazing! I'd love some help whenever Luca's finished watching his shows. I did have a snack earlier, so there's no rush," Garrett added, not wanting to make either of them worry he was going hungry. "Have you got some rice on hand as well? You and I could start that cooking so it's ready once Luca's ready to help with the stir fry."

Was it odd, that he was starting to want a bit more one on one time with Evelyn? Maybe. But that was something he probably wouldn't end up having, except as a rarity, and he'd just have to get used to that fact.

"Never should a house be empty of rice, or dry pasta," Evelyn said with a little smile, like it was sage advice. "I'll go get the rice cooker down if you wanted to say hello. I'm sure he's always ready to eat, but I think this last episode has ten more minutes left to it. We've been watching nature shows."

Nothing could get Luca invested as well as anything to do with animals. He was doing decent focusing on it all so far, though distracted now by Garrett's voice, and it would be polite to tell him they could wait until it was over. If he didn't feel like helping, he could always keep watching and doodling while they made it for him. Despite recent setbacks, he and Evelyn had, for the most part, gotten to the point where he didn't need to be in the same room as her at all times anymore.

When Garrett came to the living room, Luca looked away from the tv and followed the detective with his eyes rather than getting to his feet, sitting upright on the edge of his seat as he waited but forgetting that good manners said he should stand to greet guests. ". . . Good morning." He managed finally, after a very obvious pause for thought. He hadn't spoken much that morning, and it still felt strange to use his voice.

Last edited:
"Excellent idea," Garrett replied, nodding, and he strolled into the living room to go greet Luca. He was delighted to find that the boy seemed comfortable enough to say hello without moving from his spot on the couch. Garrett smiled and waved back. "Good morning! Good to see you, Luca."

He went over and sat nearby on the couch, giving Luca a bit of space in case he didn't want to touch anyone. "Evelyn's starting up some rice. We were thinking of cooking stir fry together with you in ten or so minutes when your show's done, if you like. Or you could keep watching and we can cook it and then call you when it's done."

The detective glanced briefly at the tv, and then smiled and looked back at Luca. "Would you mind if I watched this episode with you? It looks fascinating," he added.