• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Forging New Paths

Evelyn was still trying to figure out how to describe yogurt to someone whose world knowledge appeared even worse than Luca's when Garrett simply got some and opened it, which was a relief. Much easier to learn by experience, she supposed, though she worried he might dislike it.

She laughed softly at both Beckett's amazement and the way Luca wrinkled his nose a little at the idea. "I enjoy it myself, but Luca doesn't like the ones that come with pieces of fruit in them. It's very good, otherwise." He was like a child that way, sometimes. He didn't really like different textures of food mixing in one container.

Beckett licked his lips and focused in on the container, humming to himself and enjoying the fruity flavor.

"So, uh - what's on the docket for today?" Anthony asked with a smile. "Maybe we could have a relaxing picnic? Oh! Or Garrett could read everyone a story. Or we have a spa day! I don't think we've tried that yet."

"Spa day . . .?" Beckett asked.

"Yeah! It's basically laying around and relaxing, but you wear comfy clothes and put on relaxing music," Anthony explained. "And sometimes people put cucumbers on their eyes, for some reason."

Garrett laughed. "It's supposed to help with wrinkles or something I think. But you know, a spa day does sound nice. I have a few inflatable bath pillows that are nice and soft we could use to lay around on. And we could make tea, maybe, or pour some warm water and soap into buckets to soak our feet in." He turned towards Luca and smiled. "Bug what would you like to do, Luca?"

Evelyn sighed softly as the others talked, quiet and to herself, and used the time that they were discussing to think about how to say she didn't want a spa day, or a picnic. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep talking, but even through the anxiety of all that had happened what she wanted was to go home, where it was quiet and nothing would bother her and she could rest instead of being so aware of how she spoke and what she did at every moment. As much as she wanted to be as giving as Garrett always was, she knew she didn't have it in her to help take care of Shiloh and Beckett on top of caring for Luca.

Luca made an almost confused little frown when questioned, looking at the table as he thought hard about what they were saying. Did he want to go outside and have a picnic with so many people? Did he want whatever a 'spa day' was? "I don't know. . ." He murmured eventually, hesitant to say no but unsure if he even wanted to. He wasn't sure if he liked tea, and was curious why anyone would put food on their eyes.

"Garrett," Evelyn said finally as a thought occurred to her, rather than voicing any other thoughts on how to make a spa day at the office, "I was too distracted to think of this before, but do you know what happened to my car? Were my keys still in it?" Her phone she could replace, easily enough, but a car was another matter entirely. If she was without both of them life was about to get very difficult, and very expensive.

"Oh! Yes, my apologies. I had the police bring it round to your home," Garrett told Evelyn. "They checked it thoroughly to ensure everything is safe. And I have your keys in my bag." He glanced back at Luca and smiled gently. "It's all right. Would you and Evelyn like to go home today and rest there? I can drive behind you to make sure you get back safely," he added.

"I do kinda want to try the cucumber thing. Can we eat them afterwards?" Shiloh asked.

"Uh - I guess technically? I wouldn't recommend eating the ones from your eyes, though. We can set some aside to eat," Garrett decided.

Anthony rubbed his hands together. "Can I pick the music? This is gonna be so much fun. And so relaxing!"

The detective smiled, wandering over to his bag to retrieve Evelyn's keys. "It'll start out relaxing, anyway." He headed back over to Evelyn and held out her keys. "Luca, Evelyn. Don't hesitate to call me if you need anything, all right?"

Luca frowned still, unsure, and looked to Evelyn for answers, but she only reached over and squeezed his hand. "Let's go home for a little while, okay? If you change your mind and want to come back later, we can come back." If he decided he felt like being with other people, she wouldn't make him do it alone.

When he nodded for her finally, she gave him a smile and turned to accept her keys from Garrett with a relieved sigh. "Thank you, Garrett. I'm sure we'll be all right, but if you'd like to follow I won't stop you." If the police had looked it over and released it to her, she was sure it was fine. And the lab itself was being shut down so there was no one around to booby trap her vehicle again. She just had to worry about getting Luca to get back into it. "I'll message you from my computer when I'm home. I probably won't get a new phone until tomorrow, if I can't get my old one back soon." If she needed to buy a new one, that was fine. Luca could have her old one when it was eventually released.

"But first, breakfast," she said with a little pat to Luca's knee, and pushed his fork towards his hand again. "Finish up. You need to eat."

He was still stuck on the idea of leaving everyone and getting into a car, but did obediently pick it up to take another bite.

Garrett smiled a little and nodded. "I would very much like to drive behind you both. Just to make extra sure. It'll help me feel better knowing I saw you go home with my own two eyes." He pulled in a breath and nodded. "Oh! Right. Breakfast." Then he went back to work on his own omelette, chewing thoughtfully.

"Hey. Maybe in another day or two, do you and Evelyn want to go to the aquarium again?" Anthony asked Luca. "It could be the four of us and Watson. That's a really relaxing place," he added.

Beckett tilted his head. "What place is that?"

"They have a bunch of fish you can look at! And some you can pet, too," Anthony added.

The spider shrugged. "Fish, eh? Not exactly my thing. But I'm glad you all like it."

Since Luca had gone back to eating, Watson hopped up primly in his lap, curling up and purring.

"I won't fight you." Evelyn acquiesced with a little nod, unable to justify fighting it when she thought it might make both her and Luca feel better too. The others seemed to be getting along well, so they would be fine on their own.

Luca looked up in surprise when Anthony mentioned the aquarium then turned to look at Evelyn, more alert than he had been since he'd woken up, absentmindedly making room for Watson without so much as looking down at him. "I can go?"

She smiled softly, almost sadly at the thought of how long it would take to convince him he could have almost anything he wanted, and tried not to get her hopes too high that he would be just as comfortable in the dim lit building now that he had almost been locked up again. "If you and Anthony want to, we can go. We'll think about it more once we're home, all right?"

She was going to have to get in contact with his therapist again before he could see her. Now there was even more trauma to unpack, as if he didn't already have enough.

"I wouldn't want to fight you, either," Garrett said with a small chuckle. "You're stubborn. In the best way possible. All I can say is, I'm very glad you're on our side," he added, playfully bumping Evelyn's shoulder when he passed by her to get more juice to drink.

Anthony's face lit up when he watched Luca's expression change. He was delighted his best friend still wanted to go to the aquarium with him. "Maybe we can check out the sensory tables too, this time. We didn't get to do that the first time. My favorite one's the water table! There's like, little boats and toy people and fish and stuff. It's really fun to play with."

Garrett was relieved Anthony hadn't mentioned the sandbox, but he'd warn him before the group actually went to the aquarium. He remembered from the time Luca had been in his forensics room that sand and sand castles seemed to draw out memories for Luca. Hopefully they could ignore the sandbox in the play area and things would be just fine.

Evelyn managed a little huff of laughter at him, rocking slightly with the way he bumped her but not retaliating. "You should be," she said with a little smile as he passed, and just turned to finish the last bite or two of her breakfast, not because she was still hungry but because she wanted Luca to eventually do the same.

"Maybe this time," she suggested gently as Luca went back to his food, brighter and more aware now, "we'll prepare better and stay a little longer." They still had to be sure that they were welcome on whatever night they chose to go, and that they could stay for the time that they wanted to. She was still very grateful to the aquarium staff for letting them attend when it was technically closed. Especially after this last encounter, she worried that being around crowds would only make Luca scared.

"Little boats," Luca murmured quietly to himself, trying to picture what Anthony was describing. He didn't remember if he had seen it when they went to the aquarium before, but he had been focused on the fish. Was it a table with water on top, that toys floated around in? It was a strange idea, but he wanted to see it. He did like water.

Garrett smiled at the pair and nodded. "Just let us know which day you'd be ready to go," he told Evelyn. "The aquarium staff texted me earlier and said we were an absolute delight to have. We're welcome back any time."

Anthony nodded and smiled. "Yeah, little boats! And there are different sliding things that pull in and out to change the water flow, it's pretty cool. I can't wait to check it out with you," he added.

Shiloh smiled and listened to the group. "I hope you all have fun! Me and Beckett are gonna spend the next few days researching that lighthouse."

"Yeah!" Beckett added. "We're going to learn about the history of it. And how it works. And who's supposed to be caring for it right now."

Garrett's eyes twinkled. "Research is a detective's best friend, after all. I hope it goes well for you both."

"They're very kind to let us in for free," Evelyn said, a bit surprise by the generosity. "They must be very grateful for how you helped them."

Luca made a soft, thoughtful sound, seemingly in a quiet sort of awe at the idea of some strange system of water flow that he could manipulate himself. It sounded very interesting, and like something that he wasn't normally allowed to touch. But if Anthony said it was okay, maybe he could play with it some day. "I want to see it. . ."

Evelyn nodded for Beckett and Shiloh, approving of their plans despite feeling some of it may be more difficult than they thought. "It's always good to spend a while learning as much as you can about something before jumping right in."

"Ohhh, very much so. Someone stole their prize octopus once, and they hired me to find him and return him. He's worth thousands of dollars, turns out, due to his unique colors and breed. He's part of a breeding program, too, and they were so relieved to have him returned," Garrett added with a smile. "So not to worry. We'll have our admission covered more or less for life."

"I'm surprised you didn't on the way in," Anthony admitted with a smile. "It's in that play area at the front of the aquarium. They let everyone who wants to play with it, and it'll be great at night because we'll have the entire thing all to ourselves! My favorite person is the guy in the rain jacket with a big beard. I like to pretend he's a sea captain fighting krakens and stuff," he admitted with a blush.

The pair nodded back at her, and Beckett happily started in on his fifth omelette.

"Oh, wow." Evelyn paused in surprise, genuinely caught off guard by the price tag. "I didn't know an octopus could be worth so much. I'm glad he's back to the breeding program, at least. It can be difficult to help bring a species back into healthier numbers."

Luca frowned a little, wondering if it was something he should have been looking at or not. He didn't mean not to see things, but there had just been so many to look at. Was that bad? Should he have seen more? Garrett would have seen everything. He was afraid of the answer, so he didn't want to ask. "What's a . . . kraken?" He asked instead, after a long pause to think over the problem and try not to make himself start feeling bad things. He thought he'd heard the word before, maybe in a movie once, but he couldn't remember.

Garrett nodded. "Indeed. He's a special fella. Only a few octopi with his coloration have been recorded before." He returned to the table and sat down, sipping his refilled cup. "I have to say, some of my favorite cases have been ones that involve helping people with animals. Things are usually more straightforward with them, somehow."

Noticing Luca's expression change, Anthony smiled gently. "Hey, it's all right. That just means it'll be more of a surprise when we go! It'll be great." Then he nodded and gestured. "Yeah! A kraken is basically like a giant octopus, sometimes as big as a ship, and sometimes in stories they're dangerous creatures that go after ships and people. I like to pretend the fisherman is the hero that saves everybody. Like you!"

"Straightforward?" Evelyn questioned, thinking for a moment. "I would think they would be more . . . emotionally charged. Like a parent losing a child." People had a special place in their hearts for animals, one that if touched tended to be rather intense. She hadn't had pets in a long time, but she could understand the urge.

"As big as a ship. . ." Luca murmured, eyes drifting heavenward as he tried to picture just what an octopus so big might look like. Scary, he thought, but at least they were only in stories. A second or two after that thought, he blinked and looked at Anthony again with an almost stunned expression, then down at his own hands where they rested near his empty plate. ". . . hero?" He managed, in a faint, not-quite-strained voice, unable to connect the images of himself and 'a hero' in his head. All he ever did was break things, and hurt people. But everyone was still so nice to him, and gentle all the time. Could someone like him really ever be called a hero?

Evelyn, having only been quietly observing until that point, finally dared to reach over and cover one of his hands with her own, her movements careful not to startle him and her touch gentle. "My hero," she said softly, giving his hand a squeeze, and though he couldn't seem to look away from the table she thought she could see a bit of a shine in his eyes that hadn't been there before. He was overwhelmed, clearly, and she almost thought that the concept of 'hero' would be the thing to break the dam inside him and make him cry, but he only stayed quiet and stared like he couldn't hear them at all. That was all right, she thought. She could feel his thanks through the way he squeezed her hand.

Garrett held up a hand. "More straightforward. Not easier. You're right, the cases are very emotionally charged, but - usually they're fairly easy to figure out. And the motives make more sense. It's not like some cases, where you try to understand why someone would do such a thing, or multiple people are involved and there are so many variables to take into account, and - well, I could go on for hours about it if you let me," he said at last with a small chuckle.

"Yeah. A hero," Anthony insisted to Luca. "Heroes save people, and try to do what's right. That's what you've done since I met you! You saved me, and now Evelyn and Beckett and Shiloh, too! You even gave the guards a chance to leave instead of attacking them. That's exactly what a hero would do." He smiled and held out his arms. "Hey, do you want a hug before you and Evelyn go?"

Luca was quiet again, unable to find the right words to get out what feelings were balling up in his chest. Evelyn only watched for a moment, took in the way he couldn't raise his eyes from his hands, the way he pressed his mouth closed almost as if to keep himself from trying to say anything at all. He had always been told to be quiet, she knew. Speaking up had never earned him anything good, and protesting concepts he didn't fully agree with was even worse. He was getting better about talking to them, but it was still something they would have to keep working on.

When Anthony asked if he wanted a hug, Luca nodded but couldn't say yes, so Evelyn gave Anthony a little wave to get him to come closer. Maybe Luca couldn't stand or couldn't make himself walk over, but if Anthony came to him he would probably always want a hug.

"Why don't we go and wait in the lobby for Garrett to be ready?" She suggested, easing to her feet to encourage him to do the same. It would at least let Luca be less observed by virtual strangers, though she meant no offense to Shiloh and Beckett. If Anthony came with them to the front doors they could say goodbye there.

Thankfully, the nod was enough to tell Anthony yes. He smiled and went over at once, wrapping Luca in a gentle hug and resting his chin on the boy's forehead. Then Evelyn spoke, and he glanced up a bit. "Hm?" he asked softly. "Oh! Yeah, good idea."

He offered Luca a hand up and nodded. "Hey, since Garrett's gonna follow behind you and Evelyn anyway - do you want me to ride with you? Then we can chat in the car on your way home," he offered.

Garrett smiled warmly. It was a brilliant idea. Maybe Anthony sliding right into the car would help Luca realize it was safe. "That works for me. I can bring Anthony home on the way back, if you're both okay with him riding in the car."

Shiloh cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. ". . . What do me and Beckett do?"

"Ah. I'd advise you wait in this office or the one next door until we get back," Garrett said with a nod.

"By ourselves?" Beckett asked softly.

"Well, yes?"

Shiloh's eyes sparkled. "Excellent. Come on, Beckett, let's head to the other room. Bye, everybody! Have fun!" he called, pulling on Beckett's arm and leading him out.

As conflicted as he was, Luca still leaned into Anthony's chest when the younger man hugged him, reaching up to hold loosely to Anthony's arm with one hand and closing his eyes at the gentle embrace. It didn't make him any less confused, but it was comforting nonetheless. When Anthony offered a hand, Luca accepted it and let himself be guided to his feet, and only nodded again, fingers curling a little tighter around Anthony's hand rather than letting go. It would be okay, maybe, if there were more people in the car, and Garrett was going to be watching them. If something bad happened, it would be okay. He was used to being forced into situations he didn't want to be in, at least, and this time he had his friends with him promising it would be okay rather than just demanding he do it anyway.

Evelyn gave them a small smile as she started to lead them in walking out of the room, though slowly so as not to rudely leave Shiloh and Beckett mid-sentence. "It won't take long to get to my place and back, so I won't keep Garrett from you for long. Good luck researching lighthouses."

She gave them a little wave goodbye, doing her best not to be disappointed when Luca didn't mimic her like he had gotten into the habit of doing before. She waited for Garrett to catch up in the lobby of the building, and gestured for him to lead as they made their way to the front door. "Mind showing me where I'm parked?" Thinking of Luca and watching over him would hopefully help her not to be nervous when she got in the car herself.

Of course, Anthony assumed Luca hadn't waved because he was holding hands with him; maybe he didn't realize he could wave at the same time. So Anthony showed him, and it was him that ended up mimicking Evelyn instead.

Garrett met the group in the lobby minutes later. Then he smiled and held out his hand for the keys. "I'll do you one better. I'll drive it around for you. You all can wait here." Maybe if the pair saw him driving it, it would help them relax. He strolled out and headed for the back of the office building where the car was in the lot.

And within minutes, he'd pulled the car up to the front door with all the windows up to show the gas was no longer inside.

Anthony whistled. "Oooh, front door service! Fancy. Thanks, Garrett!"

The detective smiled and stepped out of the car before bowing. "You're quite welcome," he replied. Then he opened the back door of the car like a chauffeur. "Anthony?"

Anthony giggled and slid into the back seat, buckling up at once and patiently waiting for Luca and Evelyn to join him.

Back