Forging New Paths

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Luca frowned a little more, sad at the thought of leaving Watson behind, but nervous still about other people trying to touch him. ". . . I don't know." He managed after a pause to think, upset by the difficult choice and how impossible it felt to make a decision. His answers had been given to him for so long that he never knew which one was right, even if it was only right to him.

"Oh, good," Evelyn nodded along, holding up her bag of candy a bit. "It appears I have a bit of a problem." Saying 'no' to Luca for such little things when she wanted him to experience everything new was more difficult than she had imagined.

When Garrett started to walk, Luca carefully pulled Watson's leash up into his hand until he had the loop at the end, then got to his feet and meekly held it out to Anthony for him to take. The younger man would keep Watson safe, and deal with the people he didn't know how to talk to. He was too inadequate for holding on to something so important.

Evelyn turned to follow after Garrett, though her attention still drifted backwards every few seconds to be sure Anthony and Luca were following. "Not used to walking with a crowd?" She prodded good-naturedly at Garrett for his speed. "You'll have to remember to do a headcount before you get going."

"That's all right. We can think about it and come back to it," Anthony told him. Then Luca held out Watson's leash to him, and Anthony smiled and took it gently. "Thank you," he said softly. "It means a lot that you trust me with him. You're probably the strongest one in our group, and I appreciate it."

Garrett smiled and shrugged at Evelyn. "It's all right. There are far worse problems than spoiling someone." Then the detective blushed a bit and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yes, well - usually it's just Anthony and I. And I have to admit I'm a bit distracted with the security footage information. But don't worry! I'll make sure everyone's here."

Once the group seemed more prepared, he turned and led the way down the street, humming softly with his hands in his pockets. He had to remind himself several times to check on the group instead of worrying about what - and who - had been on the tapes. "Now, uh, the apartments we're going past are usually pretty quiet. But Mr. Halson is usually out and about. Luca, would you like to meet Mr. Halson?"

Luca fidgeted almost shyly with the ends of his sleeves, tugging on them like he wanted to hide his hands, and gave his head a tiny shake as they started to walk. "You're better at . . . doing things. . ." He managed faintly, though it was vaguely frustrating that he couldn't think of how to articulate the feeling. Anthony knew how to hold the leash without pulling on Watson, and how to deal with people that came up to them, and how to tell if they were friendly or not. All Luca's 'strength' did was hurt people, and shield him.

Evelyn only smiled a little at Garrett's flush, giving him a few gentle pats on the back in way of reassurance. "Don't worry, I won't let anyone fall behind. Is there anything wrong with the footage?" She hoped nothing bad was happening, at least. If there was anything she could do to help, she wouldn't mind, but if he only needed her to keep an eye on their ducklings she could do that, too.

Luca blinked at Garrett when he was addressed, eyes shifting away to watch their feet in front of him more than look them in the eye, as he did more often when he felt uncomfortable or lost. ". . . Who is he?" He didn't know how to answer the question. Was Mr. Halson nice, or scary? When people asked him to meet someone, it wasn't always good.

Last edited:
Anthony's smile faded a bit. "Maybe some things. Not everything, though." He held his hand out with the leash and smiled gently. "How about we walk him together? No reason we can't share the leash."

Garrett cleared his throat. "Not wrong with the footage, no. It's working perfectly. It's what the footage was showing," he explained. "But it's nothing that needs immediate attention or worry."

But the detective relaxed at once when Luca asked about Mr. Halson. "He's a very kind old gentleman who likes to sit on the front porch and talk," he explained. "He may also want to pet Watson. He loves animals. Luca, will you be all right if he pets Watson?" he added gently. "I can always tell him not this time, if not."

Mr. Halston was an understanding sort, and Garrett knew he'd be okay with either decision.

Luca frowned uncertainly when he looked at the leash, wondering exactly what Anthony was trying to get him to do. After what was probably much too long a pause for consideration, he reached out with slow, hesitating motions and hooked two fingers through the loop of the leash next to Anthony's hand, hoping that was right. If they held it together, then he could just follow Anthony's lead and let the teen's hand guide his. Was that right? It was almost like letting Anthony hold his hand and lead him around.

Evelyn gave a soft, considering hum and just sent Garrett a text without pulling her phone out of her pocket so as not to upset anyone by speaking up too much. Tell me later, if you'd like any assistance. If he didn't want to share, that was all right, but if he wanted her opinion on anything that was all right, too. She would leave it up to his judgement.

Luca's attention was drawn away from being very careful in not tugging on Watson's leash when Garrett spoke to him, and he looked quizzically down at the cat walking with them as if trying to figure out the answer. ". . . if he's nice," he murmured finally, unused to making what felt like such big decisions so often in one day, and to being in charge of anything, including himself. He would never have thought he would be consulted about what would happen to another living being like he was now.

Evelyn only gave them a pleasant smile and nodded for him to show him it was okay. "I'm sure he'll be very gentle. Watson will like getting pets from so many different people." It was best, she thought, to just let it happen rather than allowing him to stop it, unless he became overly distressed about it. He was allowed to make decisions and give opinions, to like and dislike things, but it was also important to teach him that some things were out of his control, and that everything would be okay even if they were. Watson was perfectly safe.

Last edited:
But instead of taking the lead, Anthony did his best to let Luca guide the leash. As far as Anthony was concerned, he was just there as backup in case Luca needed help with oncoming people or got nervous with the leash. He stayed partially behind Luca and made it as clear as possible without words that he was following him. He smiled warmly and strolled calmly down the sidewalk.

Watson glanced back with curiosity when he realized two people had his leash. But it was Anthony and Luca, so he relaxed at once and turned back around to walk ahead. If anyone was leading the leash, it was the cat.

Garrett's expression softened when his phone dinged; he could already tell it was from Evelyn. He sighed in relief and texted back. Thank you. I might take you up on that later. But really, it's not urgent, so please don't worry too much.

He turned back towards Luca and nodded. "Yes, he's very kind. I'd trust him around Watson. Come on over, I'll introduce you." He headed around the corner and waved a hand. "Evening, Mr. Halson!"

An elderly black man was perched on the front steps of the apartment. He was thin with age, and he wore thick glasses with a baggy flannel shirt and pressed pants. He raised a hand and waved it in return. "Detective Shiver! Anthony! Good to see you boys. Who are your friends?" he called back. He had a warm, hoarse voice that carried years of gentleness in its tone.

Garrett smiled and headed over. "I'll let the other two introduce themselves if they want, but this is the newest member of our group - Watson," he said, gesturing around the group. "Everyone, this is Mr. Halson. He's one of my informants."

Luca was confused when Anthony walked behind him, wondering if he was going too fast because he had longer legs, but Watson was walking quicker than either of them and the little tugs on the leash had Luca keeping pace regardless. He didn't want to accidentally pull on Watson, after all, and the cat was doing a good job of following after Garrett and Evelyn.

She glanced back at them to make sure they were okay, and had to force down a smile as she faced forward again, wondering just who was walking who. It was cute, seeing them both holding the leash together, like Anthony was taking her place in holding Luca's hand.

When they got to Mr. Halson's home, Luca was hesitant in following the way Watson pulled to go up the stairs, but let himself be pulled up the walkway next to Garrett. He didn't say anything, only looking at the old man for a second or two before his eyes drifted down to Watson instead and wouldn't come back.

Evelyn followed after him more slowly when she knew it was all right, calm and composed if only to let Luca know there was nothing to be worried about. "Hello," she said softly, giving the man a little nod in way of greeting, her hands folded primly around the handles of her shopping bag. "My name is Evelyn, and this is Luca. It's nice to meet you. He's just a little shy." Most people could tell, at least, that Luca was a bit 'challenged', though they could never know why. She didn't feel the need to say anything about it other than that.

"That's all right, that's all right. It's a busy street. Lotta loud noises an' whatnot," Mr. Halson said, waving a hand as though to say he didn't really need an explanation. Luca had clearly been approved by Detective Shiver, and if Shiver liked him he must be kind enough. "It's right nice to meet you both. Did you know Garrett and Anthony are some of the few folks that ever stop by to talk to me? Sweetest souls on the planet."

He grinned and patted the steps beside him. "Y'all got time to sit and chat for a bit? You wouldn't believe what my therapist told me the other day. It was a real hoot!"

Garrett's eyes glittered. He'd completely forgotten about Mr. Halston's therapist, and it might be good for Luca to hear a few positive stories about going to therapy. So the detective flopped down in his usual spot on the long step, followed by Anthony on the other side of Mr. Halson. "By all means. I'd love to hear it."

Anthony smiled and waved to Luca. "Want to sit by me?" he asked hopefully. "Watson can go in your lap during the story."

Mr. Halson lightly stroked the cat as he passed by him on the way up the stairs, just once or twice. Then he sat back up to focus on his story. "Well," he began.

"That's how you know it's gonna be a good story," Anthony whispered to Luca. "That or if he says 'the other day.'"

"So the other day, I go into my appointment, right? Settle into the same rocking chair I always do. And my therapist comes up to me, and he says 'George, did you cut your hair?' And I turn to him and I says, 'Doc, you know I been bald since '43!' Real joker, that Doctor Corner. Love him to bits."

Detective Shiver smiled and leaned forward. "I'm glad you're still able to go visit him even after you've finished therapy. Is it hard to book appointments?"

"Aw, no, not at all. He's got me scheduled the same day and time as far into the future til I die! Or one of us, anyway. He's as old as I am," Mr. Halson said with a laugh.

Luca fidgeted a little when left with a choice, but Anthony was safe enough and nothing bad was happening, so after a pause to consider he did sit down on the step, close enough that their knees touched in case Watson wanted to touch both of them. Having Watson hop into his lap where he could run his hands over soft fur as they listened was soothing, and he gave Anthony a small, almost confused little smile when the teen's prediction about what Mr. Halson might say immediately came true. How had he known?

Evelyn didn't quite join them on the steps, not exactly one for sitting on the ground, but did at least lean against the railing nearby, as settled in as she could be while staying on her feet. She was sure Garrett had the same thought about Luca hearing the word 'therapy' in a positive context, when Mr. Halson said it, though she didn't think that was the reason they had stopped. He seemed like a nice man, and perhaps a lonely one, as many were when they got older and lived alone. It was nice of Garrett and Anthony to spend some time with him when they patrolled.

Therapy wasn't a word Luca really understood the full meaning of. He hadn't had a reason to talk about it when he was little, and once he'd been taken away it had ceased to be something he heard about even in passing. Physical therapy was only a loose concept on his mind, and he wondered if it was something like that. Maybe Mr. Halson had gotten hurt and seen a doctor to get better.

"That's nice of him," Evelyn said softly, with a small smile at the amusing story. "You must have really got along well." Keeping in contact for a long time wasn't something every therapist would do, so it was nice that they had a good relationship.

Mr. Halson nodded. "Ohhh, yeah. We go way back." Then he blinked and pointed at Luca and Evelyn. "Oh, that's right! You're both new! You ain't never heard how we met before. You got time?"

"We sure do, Mr. Halson," Garrett said with a warm smile.

The older man clapped his hands together. "Well. Few years back - well, lotta years back, I suppose - I was in one of the wars. Came out of it real messed up in the head. Had trouble sleeping, trouble talking, trouble even realizing what was real and what weren't. So they sent me to a therapist. And he worked me through all of that shit. Now I talk just fine and usually know what's real and what ain't. Still trouble sleeping, off and on, but that's hardly a worry compared to everything else."

Anthony nodded and leaned back on the step a bit, resting his arms on the one above.

"You're not gonna tell them about your first week of therapy?" Garrett asked with a chuckle.

"Whooo! How could I forget?" Mr. Halson asked. "I came home crying just about every single night, that first week. Dug up a lot of things I weren't ready to think about. Things hurt all over again. But I sure am glad I stuck with it," he added, nodding.

Evelyn wasn't sure, at first, what kind of storytime Garrett was signing them up for, or how long they would stay, but as Mr. Halson talked she couldn't help feeling grateful. She hadn't sat down and had that talk with Luca yet, about the fact that she wanted him to talk to someone about things he might not want to talk about, that it was supposed to help him feel better, some day. What better way to do so, then to have someone else who had done the same and benefited from it tell him beforehand?

Luca was very, very quiet, eyes drifting up to Mr. Halson as he talked, and then away again to stare blindly at Watson in his lap, fidgeting hands gone still. Trouble sleeping. Trouble talking. There were other people that felt like he did? Sometimes it was frustrating, feeling the words stick in his throat and unable to come out, or not knowing which words to use at all. Was talking to someone supposed to make it better? Was a 'therapist' someone that was supposed to fix him? Someone that could make the world make more sense? He didn't understand how.

"That sounds very hard," Evelyn said softly, unsure what else to say, and her eyes on Luca besides. "I'm glad he was able to help you."

Last edited:
"Ohhh, it was," Mr. Halson agreed, nodding. "But I wouldn't trade that first week for anything. Because after that, things started getting better - and look at me now, out here in the street past my bedtime meeting new friends!" He slowly stood up, his bones creaking. "Speakin' of which, it was great to meet you both, but I'd best be off to sleep. I'm feeling tired. Never knew I'd like having that feeling."

Garrett smiled and stayed sitting down. "Thanks for talking with us, Mr. Halson. Have a good night's rest."

"You too, youngin's! You too," Mr. Halson replied, waving and heading back up toward the apartment building.

Once the older man was safely inside, Garrett smiled and turned towards Luca. "What'd you think of him, Luca?" he asked. "You did a great job letting him pet Watson."

Evelyn wished Mr. Halson a good night, but when Garrett didn't move she stayed put as well, just watching. Luca was slow to respond, sitting still with his hand only barely moving on Watson's back. Several seconds after Garrett had spoken, he finally blinked a few times and very gradually lifted his head again to look at the detective.

". . . He was nice," he managed eventually, when he could find the words. He felt too loud, too many thoughts bouncing around and around inside his head. It made it hard to focus on what people were saying in front of him.

Evelyn shifted away from the railing to put a gentle hand on his shoulder, and after a moment crouched down in front of him to hand him a bottle of water from her purse. "Here. I bet you're thirsty after all the candy samples, hm? Thank you for letting him pet Watson, and listening while he talked. Lots of people feel better once they've talked to someone for a while."

He only nodded a little, pausing before taking the bottle from her and taking a few careful sips. ". . . He was happy." It was all he could think of to say. Were people normally so happy, after they'd talked about things that had hurt them before? He didn't know how to feel about it. It had always served him best not to think of anything at all.

Being so sleepy, it took Watson longer than normal to realize Luca was starting to feel loud again. But eventually he stretched, put his paws up on the boy's chest, and reached upwards to lick his cheek several times. He purred loudly and rubbed his head against him.

Garrett got the message through Watson. There was no reason to hurry on, and the stairs were as good a spot as any to rest while Luca took a few minutes to come back to himself.

"Yes, he's a very cheerful man in general," Garrett said at last, softly. "He always tells me how grateful he is to his therapist for helping him." He fell quiet for a moment. Mr. Halson also said the process would have been easier if he'd had friends like Garrett and Anthony. Maybe not shorter. But easier.

All over again he realized what a gift it was, to be someone Luca could trust deeply enough to help him heal and recover. The detective cleared his throat and smiled. "We're already three fourths of the way done with patrol. I can't believe how fast it's going."

Luca almost didn't react until Watson's paws pressed into his chest, and he patiently let the cat lick at him a few times before closing his eyes and nuzzling absentmindedly into Watson's fur, if only to hear the sound of his purr just a little louder. When he could he looked at Evelyn, who only gave him a soft, reassuring smile, then at Garrett, and at Anthony. After assuring himself that everyone was okay and nothing bad was happening, he scratched lightly at Watson's fur in the places he liked and let out a long, tired sigh like he could expel the confusing thoughts with just his breath.

"Almost over. . ." He murmured softly, tired but also disappointed that it was ending. He liked walking with everyone, and he didn't want to stop, but there were a lot of things that made him feel uncomfortable and it had been a long day. It was a lot to handle.

"I'm sure we can walk a little slower," Evelyn assured him, smile gone a bit amused at his reluctance to let go of even the things that bothered him. He liked Garrett and Anthony a lot, to want to be part of everything they did so badly. "Are you ready to go, or do you want to sit a little while?"

Luca considered for a moment, feeling strange again at making a decision that effected everyone, not just himself, but eventually gave his head a little shake. "I want to walk." The steps were cold, and he wanted to see what else was ahead. There had been a lot of good things, even in a day when bad things had come to. Maybe there would be more before the night ended.

Garrett's eyes twinkled at the slight disappointment in Luca's voice that the walk was nearly over. Maybe he'd be up for the additional surprise after all. "Well . . ." Garrett began slowly, "If you're up for it, Luca, the last stop on our route might be the longest." He pulled his phone out and grinned. "I've been texting the manager at the aquarium around the corner, next to the museum. And they've agreed to let us walk around inside after hours. It'll just be us and a few security guards here and there. Would you like to go?"

Anthony gasped softly. "You got us a private outing at the aquarium?! Garrett, what?!" he burst out, jumping up and down.

Garrett laughed and waved a hand. "Easy, easy. Relax, Anthony. The manager's looking forward to letting us in. He said the animals get bored later in the evening when the regular customers aren't around. So there's a good chance he'll let us in more than once."

He glanced back to Luca gently. "It's okay if you're not up for it tonight. He said we could come any night we want, so we can pick another night if it'd be too much for today."

Luca blinked at Garrett as he spoke, not quite comprehending what was happening and jumping a little in surprise when Anthony leaped up beside him. He turned an owlish gaze on the younger man then, taking in his excitement, and then looking at Garrett again as it started to sink in. An aquarium. He could barely remember what it felt like to be inside of somewhere so big, so full of life. He'd only seen it in videos, in years and years.

It was strange, having so many things placed in front of him in one day that he could have if he just said yes. He couldn't help feeling like if he said no it would never be offered to him again, even though everyone kept saying it would happen later. Too used to having everything taken away instead.

"I want to go." He said finally, less quiet than normal, more eager, though his excitement was several degrees more muted than Anthony's still. He was tired, and he would be exhausted by the time it was over, but he wanted. It had been a long time since he'd been allowed to want things.

"More than once," Evelyn murmured to herself, fixating on an entirely different sentiment, though she too looked surprised at Garrett's offer. "I can't believe you've managed it." She gave a disbelieving shake of her head even as she got back to her feet to pat a hand lightly against Garrett's arm, a small, fond smile on her face. "Is there someone in this city you don't know?"

Was there any miracle he wouldn't do everything he could to make happen for their ducklings? She had a feeling there wasn't.

"I'm a detective," Garrett told Evelyn with a wink. "It's my job to know everyone in the city. But up until now, it was all strictly business. I've been . . . continuously amazed by how friendly so many people are once I've given them a chance," he realized. He chuckled and patted Anthony's shoulder. "To the aquarium it is, then! Let me just text Earl so he knows we're coming."

Maybe, Garrett thought hopefully, Luca would actually sleep through the night after a day this long and exhausting.

He led the way off towards the aquarium before knocking politely on the front door. One of the security guards pulled it open and tipped his hat. "Evening, detective. Come on in."

"Thank you," Garrett said with a smile. "Ah - can we bring Watson in?"

"Don't see why not," the guard replied.

"Again, thank you."

The aquarium had a huge arching ceiling designed like water, with whale and fish models hanging from it. Right at the entrance was a gift shop - which was thankfully closed. And next to the gift shop was a small playground of sorts, with a little fish shaped slide to go down, a ball pit, and some sensory tables filled with sand, water, and ocean and boat toys. Next to the play area was the entrance hall to the aquarium, which had see through walls where a large variety of goldfish could look through.

"All right, Luca," Garrett said happily, "Where to first?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes at Garrett for show, but with a fond smile on her face the whole time. "One must only go through the mortifying idea of asking, is that it?" She mused, humming a soft, thoughtful note to herself. Garrett was happy and energetic, and pushing his own social boundaries much further than when they had first met. She was sure she should take a lesson from him, but it felt so much safer to keep her world small. Even just the three of them felt dangerous enough.

Luca was less distracted for the remainder of their walk, practically buzzing with anticipation and so much so that he completely forgot to worry about holding Watson's leash the 'right' way and was much more relaxed about it. When they reached the aquarium, the outside of the building was impressive enough and the inside had his lips parting on a soft, silent little gasp, eyes wandering over all of the directions and the already distantly visible tanks of water like he'd just walked into the most amazing place in the world.

Evelyn took Watson's leash very gently from his hand when they were in, then the bag that held his book still, and gave him a little smile. "I'll hang on to these for a little while, all right? Why don't we start going this way, and we'll try to see everything."

He was too amazed and overwhelmed to think of making his own decision, only nodding without so much as looking at her and starting off the way she gestured for him to go with wide eyes and a quickened pace.

Evelyn only smiled still, excited for him but happy enough to take all his worries off his hands so he could explore freely, and gave the leash in her hand a very gentle tug in the direction he'd gone. "Let's go play follow the leader, shall we, Watson?"

It wasn't hard to catch up, even walking much slower than Luca had. The first tank he'd come close to had an octopus inside, and though it wasn't quite as active at night he managed to spot where it was hiding and only stood half-crouched to stare at it with no less amazement. He'd never seen an octopus in person before.

Last edited:
Garrett blushed a bit, smiling and clearing his throat. How was it that Evelyn could always see straight through him? Did she know him that well already? ". . . Yes," he admitted at last. "It's harder to ask for things that are just for fun instead of for work. But it's getting easier."

Inside the aquarium, Garrett's attention drifted to Luca, and he smiled warmly. He'd almost never seen the young man that invested in something. He walked alongside Luca, watching his reactions more than watching the animals.

Watson's nose wiggled intently as he stepped into the aquarium. He knew the smell of fish very, very well, and it probably meant he'd get fed at some point. He purred and eagerly walked with Evelyn on his leash. Besides the delicious smells, there was so much to look at. His eyes were dilated as he glanced around at everything.

Anthony was just as excited as Luca to be in the aquarium. Besides the circus, he loved water and fish, and he couldn't wait to show Luca the touch pools. But he didn't want to overwhelm Luca with choices yet. "That's an octopus," he told Luca, standing nearby and watching the creature breathe gently. "He's cute, huh?"