For the Confederacy! FOR DIXIE!

Do YOU think the Confederate flag should be taken down? Not what the media says. what you say on it

• Yes

• No

• I have no opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The confederate flag issue is also becoming a problem in my state Virginia. People here are protesting and demanding that it will be taken off license plates. I honestly think it should be taken off license plates, but I don't think the flag itself is bad. If a man shoots up a school do you blame the gun? Just saying. I think the flag should belong at civil war burial cites, reenactments, museums, and the personal collections of history nerds. :P

If a man shoots up a school do you blame the gun?
Some people actually do. :ferret:

On topic about the flag: I say leave it up to popular vote. Let the people who live in the state decide for themselves, by majority, if they wish to keep the flag, or change the flag. That's a responsibly democratic way of resolving the issue.

Reactions: Shiri and Esmeray
*puts a busty aroused pedo-bait catgirl in his signature*

Aww yeah.

The thing about flags and other symbols is that their interpreted meaning is not static. The common understanding of a symbol can change drastically due to association with new groups and people. For instance, the Nazis did it with more than just the swastika. You know that SS emblem with the S characters that look sorta like lightning bolts, the insignia of the Schutzstaffel? Those are taken from runic alphabets that were used all over Europe before the Roman alphabet took over, this specific one being a version of the sowilo (sun) rune. Now if you throw two of those things together, instead of it meaning "sun sun" (for a shitty literal translation, of course) it would for most people become a reference to the Nazi SS and the things they did.

This is simply how the human mind works. A symbol is used in association with something good or bad, so we attribute those good or bad things to the symbol. That is why two overlapping lines, one relatively short and the other relatively long, arranged in a particular way can bring to mind Christianity and everything associated with it instead of just looking like a lowercase letter T. That is why two overlapping triangles can do the same for bringing to mind Judaism and the Jewish people instead of just being a geometric pattering. That is why the star and crescent symbol makes most people think of Islam rather than the Ottoman Empire that used it as their flag. The flag that people want taken down from South Carolina's capitol building has a long history of negative associations: slavery and war thanks to its origins, opposition to civil rights thanks to its use by groups opposing the civil rights movement of the 1940s, and general racism and racial violence thanks to its use by all sorts of racist and white supremacist groups. Ignoring that history to claim that it stands for none of those things would be to ignore how symbols and the human mind actually work.

If you want a flag to commemorate the history and pride and such of the Confederacy without people raging at you, then use their original national flag, the Stars and Bars, because that one doesn't have all the baggage that the Confederate battle flag does. By the way, that flag everyone just calls the "Confederate flag" was never actually the national flag of the Confederate States of America, and in fact it was originally just the flag used by the Army of Northern Virginia. It was adopted as a battle flag because the Stars and Bars looked far too similar to the Union flag from a distance. It was then adapted as part of a new national flag in 1863, plain white with the battle flag as a canton (a red stripe was added on the right side of the flag a couple months before the war ended), but the plain old battle flag was never the official flag of the Confederacy.

All that said, I don't give much of a fuck about this particular instance of the Confederate battle flag being used. It's on a war memorial for dead Confederate soldiers; that is one of the few places that it really makes sense to display that flag, some other examples being museums and Civil War reenactment things. If people want it removed, whatever, remove it. If people want it to stay, whatever, let it stay. It should be up to local people who actually might see the thing once in a while, not the waves of public outrage from people who have probably never even set foot in South Carolina.

Yeah, that's what I said.

I'd say that it should the flag should be down and illegal to have, like what Germany does to those with the Nazi flag.

I also believe that the flag should be put in a museum, after all it is apart of our country's history.

I voted no simply because I think people should have the freedom to use whatever flag/language they want.

And neither public opinion or the law should have the power to silence/restrict said expression, regardless of if I agree or disagree with what they are saying.

Reactions: O|NoSoul
Freedom of speech and expression even if you don't agree with it. That doesn't mean you can't peacefully protest it though.

That's why I love my country.

Reactions: O|NoSoul
Why the hell should we take it down? The Confederate Flag meant more to the South and the Confederates than the preservation of Slavery. They needed to preserve their prime mode of manufacture for the survival of their economy, those who fought for the confederacy weren't fighting to preserve racism and slavery. They were fighting to preserve the Southern way of life which so happened to have slavery fall under that umbrella. Am I defending slavery? Fuck no. Am I defending the fact that Americans shouldn't abolish or censor something because it's offensive is deeply engrained in the U.S. Way of life? Yes.

Trying to tidy up our history and brush shit under the rug to look like angels is bullshit, anyone who thinks we should take it down is insulting every fellow human being brave enough to take up and die for their cause.

The Civil War was about more than just slavery. The confederate flag is about more than just something people kept slaves under. It's Southern history, U.S. History, and fellow US citizens died flying it.

It's a shame the North was much more industrialized and could afford to do away with slavery as a means of production, but in the South, it was just not the case. Blindly going forward to censor something because it's mean and bad is immature and downright fucking stupid.

Stop being so goddamned reactionary.

And let the negativity flow towards me in 3...2...1...

Reactions: Drakken
I looked up the issue....it all started with it flying over the state courthouse. It's not a state flag and it's not the american flag. We also have flag laws stating that on american grounds no other flag may fly higher than the United States flag. I think a US flag should be at the top, and then the state flag. Personal opinion though. I mean I don't think the confederate flag should be over the state courthouse. The state flag would make more sense to me. I'm not gonna yell about it though. I gave my view and I understand the historical importance but it doesn't need to be over the courthouse.

Reactions: Pray4me and Dervish
*embraces O|NoSoul in a slow, intimate, semi-erect hug*

I will say that it's laughably hypocritical that Amazon lets you buy a Hamas or ISIS flag, but not a Confederate flag.

I will say that it's laughably hypocritical that Amazon lets you buy a Hamas or ISIS flag, but not a Confederate flag.
Just as hypocritical as Twitch banning streaming of Hatred, but fully allowing The Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto. You'll always have pro-censorship idiots promoting the elimination of ideas and symbols instead of poverty and actual, physical suffering.

Just as hypocritical as Twitch banning streaming of Hatred, but fully allowing The Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto. You'll always have pro-censorship idiots promoting the elimination of ideas and symbols instead of poverty and actual, physical suffering.
I have to disagree with that. To put it this way: There's a difference between Italian paintings of naked women and a playboy magazine.

I think the flag shouldn't be flying at government buildings mainly because the South lost the civil war. Why are Southern states waving a defeated flag? Are they hoping the Confederate States will rise again? I see it as a huge disrespect to the U.S as if the South is saying "Fuck you, U.S. We're still here."

People should be allowed to fly the flag on their property if they want. It's their right. But, other than that it shouldn't be flying proudly in front of any state building.

I also think you shouldn't have added "Dixie" to the thread title then mentioning something like the Confederate flag doesn't promote slavery. "I Wish I was in Dixie" is a slave song that was mostly sung by slaves and people in blackface.

Status
Not open for further replies.