Fire Emblem - The Crisis of Akaneia - In Character

"Thank you for the ride sir, I deeply appreciate it" Asterisk said to the travelling merchant in the Caravan. "Not at all child." the caravan master replied. Asterisk promptly took her leave of the caravan she was riding in by hopping out from the back even waving at the kind people a final good bye and thanks. "Phew" sighed Asterisk frustrated at fact that she smiled for almost an hour, it was annoying at how everyone was so friendly, too friendly. She led out another sigh and began traversing through the city streets occasionally stopping at the nearby stalls to peruse their wares. She only walked for about half an hour before being exhausted, the heavy robe, her weak constitution and the bloody sun being too hot was also a factor that contributed to her exhaustion.

After a few more minutes of walking Asterisk had enough of the sun, "This sun is going to be the death of me." she silently whispered to herself. She needed to find a cool place away from the sun and perhaps all the jolly people walking about. Now that Asterisk thinks about it why are they so many jolly people?But Casting the thought aside as the sun grew brighter and hotter she moved toward a small ledge, slowly climbing down being careful with her steps making sure she doesn't fall into the river. Asterisk moved quickly towards the shade, it was quite cool underneath the bridge finally a place to relax for a while and wait for the sun to go down before finding an inn. She had plenty of gold left, so there shouldn't be much of a problem living at a inn for a few weeks.

Though much to Asterisk surprise there was already a person there and from the smell of alcohol, he probably felled down or something. Not that she cared... well she did care about the smell of alcohol, the smell always made her woozy and she didn't like that. Asterisk flips her hair slowly "Excuse me sir, you don't mind me sharing this spot do you?" she asked politely also giving her award-winning smile. "If I had to smile for another hour, I'll take my chances with the sun" Asterisk thought making fall back plans just in case this person was a bad case of drunk in the middle of the day.

Jiro simply looked at the young girl as he suddenly found himself in the company of a new girl that he had never seen before. "Huh? Well sure I guess I mean my friends are all off somewhere." grumbled Jiro as he yawned loudly. Not that he was tired...or drunk for that matter...but just because...this place had been boring ever since he arrived. He figured some company will be good until something bad happened or someone came along...most likely sunshine or the king of the broods himself...where did he even go off too anyways? Zaku wasn't one to run off he said he was going to find some better food when he left him... "So yeah...what's your story kid? You coming here for the festival or to see a friend or something?"

Hallen was aware of how he towered up in his bulky armor. The fact that the lady he had collided with now sat knocked over on the ground and visibly intimidated by the knight spoke as a testament to this. An advantage in the face of outlaws, Hallen wanted none of it upon the civilians. Before she could finish stammering out apologies and condolences, the Ylisse knight thudded down to one knee with a hefty klunk, holding out a hand as an offer of aid.

"Think nothing of it. This event is a place to enjoy yourself," Hallen spoke out as kindly as he could muster in his titan's voice. When the lady took the knight's large metal hand, he pulled up himself and her with a hefting grunt, setting both individuals on their feet with the iron sounds of Hallen's armor.

"Tell me," The Ylisse knight began again in idle chat, "Where do you hail from? That clothing seems quite foreign."

And just like that Uwu was being whisked away through a lively festival by an equally lively girl. While Isabelle seemed to have little problem with just charging through the crowd, Uwu gave rushed apologies to any poor soul she might have accidentally stumbled into. And she couldn't help but feel a tiny bit relieved when they were stopped. Uwu couldn't help but chuckle at Zaku's wariness though. "You don't have to worry about me, I only use my awesome powers for good!" She said with a wink and a joking smile. "In any case, I'm just here for the festival. Word of this big event reached me all the way in Plegia, but I guess I was near the border. In any case it's a nice change of scenery from dreary deserts and run down villages, heh..."

Asterisk thanks the man before slowly sitting down, it was awkward trying to sit down with the long robe though it was better than standing in the sun that's for sure. She places down her backpack beside herself and took a leather canteen out, immediately popping the cover then drinking furiously from it. Feeling content she decides to entertain the man obviously bored from whatever he was doing earlier.

"Well, I'm not really visiting anybody and I didn't know there was even a festival going on to be honest." Asterisk faked a giggle before continuing "This just happened to be where I ended up at." She turns to look at the man "What about you though? Just here to enjoy the festivities and maybe bed a few young girls?" Asterisk moved her hand to cover her mouth as she giggled. "I wonder if I could get a few gold coins from him, should be pretty easy." She thought to herself as she observed man half-heartedly.

"Screw you little lady! Like any girl in this town would sleep with my old ass." Jiro snouted and smiled back at the girl. "You know you could at the least have come up with something original. If you want to know about me though suffice to say I'm here to entertain a couple friends of mine. One's a bit loony and the other one has the charm of a dead bear. So yeah the world in general just seems to be poking fun at me right now. I mean how many people would kill to have friends and mine are two kids with their own concoction of strangeness...not that I don't love them to death." Jiro said simply as he took a sip of some water he had ordered alongside his ale. Jiro belched but did it so that he belched downward as to not send the sent into the girl's face. "I'm just waiting for something good to happen little lady. I'm a mercenary...Jiro is my name by the way. I'm not sure if you can tell but I'm from Valm. I don't got their ethnicity though. A good a lot of Valmnesse have curved eyes. Makes 'em look exotic...some like that me I couldn't care less...Bah I'm just blabbering on sorry if I'm boring you." Jiro grumbled as he took another long sip of water.
===
Zaku looked at the other young girl and simply shrugged, "I see well a little girl in a cloak can hide all sorts of things and secrets. And if may say so little miss the more innocent the person the more secrets they have. But you secrets are your own. My name is Zaku for all it's worth. I've come to bring little Isabelle back to the Inn so we can all go out to get something to eat and watch those monks fight at the arena. Jiro wants to have a family day it's not like him." grumbled Zaku as he turned around and beckoned for them to follow him. "Zaku you know you could be a little more nicer to people!" Isabelle complained as she smiled at Uwu, "Don't mind him he's always been like this it's sort of his thing. You know cool badass loner sort of deal? But hey he spoke to you so that means he finds you interesting or likes you! He's normally a grunting sort of guy who doesn't like talking."

Asterisk felt like she heard that particular story many before while working as a farm hand, pretty usual story to be sure but she tries to stay attentive and not look like it's boring her. A mercenary with two good friends ah, what a life probably the most carefree in the whole continent was what Asterisk thought as she listened to Jiro. Yet she hadn't expected that he came from Valm even though the name kinda made it obvious. "Sir Jiro the mercenary from Valm then." Asterisk giggled. "Oh, don't worry about boring me Mr. Jiro I don't get bored that easily. It's more mundane when you are travelling alone I assure you." Asterisk explained as she takes out a dark leather tome from her backpack and then began flipping through the pages. It was a good time as any to reread a certain runic paragraph from the Flux tome, though hopefully Jiro doesn't know that she was reading dark magic and just think it's another language.

"Oh, I think I almost forgotten to introduce myself." She then closed the book immediately then turning back to face Jiro. "My name is Asterisk, it's a pretty unusual name so people just mostly call me Ricky or Aster. I don't know how my name turned to Ricky but it is what it is." Asterisk laughed softly but also making sure if Jiro was paying attention or not she didn't want to talk too much if he was interested. "Well since you are from Valm I guess it's okay to tell you I'm a Plegian. Tensions still are running high even though the war has been over for almost two years. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid of going to towns I just imagine there are just this bunch of Ylisseans that are still angry about the war and they will just chop me up!" Asterisk laughed softly at her own jest but then suddenly a thought pop up "Maybe I should join your merry band of mercenaries and rescue damsels in distresses!" Then Asterisk's face began to glow red having just realized that she had blurted her thought out. "I'm sorry, everything I said must have been quite boring to a man of your caliber Mr. Jiro." She laughs awkwardly and curls a small part of a hair with her finger trying to ease out the embarrassment.

August turned his head to see where Livia was off to. Surely enough, he saw her on the ground in front of a heavily-armored man. Fearing the worst, he ran over to Livia and away from the soldiers. He pushed through the crowd hastily. As a man of honor, August would never allow a civilian to be harmed, no matter how infuriating those civilians can be. Though before August could reach Livia, the masses of people advanced in density. They practically cornered him. With all the people swarming around him, August could no longer see Livia or the man. He shouted out to the space in front of him. "Livia, where are you?!"

Livia was happily flummoxed over the stranger's politeness. She grabbed his hand, both to pull herself up and to give a handshake. She was still shaking from the impact with that armor. In that moment, Livia suspected that she heard someone call her name. But there were too many people to be sure. In a quick decision, Livia chose to accompany this fellow until she could find August or those Ylissian soldiers.

"Thanks for the help, mister." she giggled. "And I'm from Ferox. Just to remind you, I'm tougher than I look!" Livia jokingly stated.

Indeed, the lady did take the knight's hand and allowed herself to be swifted to her feet; as swift as an armored man could hope to be, at least. She seemed to find herself a tad perplexed, but otherwise rather charmed by the larger man's contrarily gentle and polite nature. "Thanks for the help, mister." she giggled. "And I'm from Ferox. Just to remind you, I'm tougher than I look!"

Regna Ferox, eh? Something of a long distance to travel, but certainly she had her ways. As for being tougher than she looked - "Hah, I would imagine so. Not many can deal with the shock of running headfirst into an armor knight." Making a comedy out of his condition, Hallen found himself in a sort of more hearty mood, in spite of his repenting and his insecurity regarding his wanting by Ylisse. It seemed of all things to help free him of his somberness, the best was another human to share miseries with.

Hallen perked up for a moment, reclaiming his stony face in contemplation. The crowd had already resumed to it's normal flow somewhat, but something seemed different. Did he hear someone yelling?

Jiro took one look at the book she was reading and figured it'd not be worth mentioning or bringing up. He just took a look at it to make sure it wasn't anything dangerous...too him at least. He was drunk not stupid. Letting his guard down was just a sure way to die. "You know young lady there's plenty of other places to be. If you haven't already gone to the stalls I'd recommend going there. Hell if your shy I'll go with you..." Jiro offered simply as he coughed for a moment but pounded his chest and it stopped quick enough before he got into a fit. That always happened when he got drunk...he ended up drinking too much of something. "If your so bored of travelling alone maybe you could come along with me like you jokingly just suggested just now. Not permanently of course but I'm passing through to Ferox soon if your interested in heading there. Assuming you can carry your own weight there." Jiro continued and wondered if what he was saying was stupid...Isabelle wouldn't mind but Zaku...he'd think Jiro would be just some guy picking up stray people every couple of years or so. It only served to figure he would get a Plegian next. "Once in Ferox you can handle yourself well as a court mage if you got the skill and the balls to impress the Great Khan or his lackies. Ferox is by far the safest place in the continent. There's a lot of skull heads but they don't usually have bandit problems and what not. I was heading there to buy us some spot as a guard for someone." Jiro commented as he looked over to the corner of the room and saw a couple of roguish looking men looking at Asterisk. He grunted and then looked back at her.

"Thanks for the offer but you don't look like you should be standing up anytime soon." said Asterisk slightly concerned about Jiro's well being.

Travelling alone proved to be dangerous in the past and travelling in the caravan earlier without guards was a sure fire way to get rob or killed. It wasn't Asterisk plan to go Regna Ferox but it would proved to be safer as Jiro has stated and she could certainly pull her own weight, the training she had while in the Plegian army would suffice a few days or weeks travel unless it was a forced march. She looked at Jiro with a little bit of distrust when he mentioned that she was a mage and held the book close to her chest. Asterisk was still a little bit paranoid about secret agents being sent into Ylisse trying to hunt her down.
"Well, I'm just travelling I don't really intend to stay in one place for too long of a time. Though, I do want to see Regna Ferox at least once in my life." Asterisk pauses and thinks for a few seconds. "I'm happy to accompany you and your mercenary company." Asterisk decided happily even though it wasn't her original plan, it should be safer to travel with a group of seasoned fighters or at least as seasoned she had hope them to be.

Then Jiro grunted as he looked at something, Asterisk turned to look as well and saw a couple of men sneering at her. They looked to be the unreasonable sort but their equipment seems a little bit more expensive than the common ruffian. Turning back to look at Jiro her face full of concerned and uneasiness "Um, are they your friends? If they are... they are quite scary." Asterisk whispered softly but enough for Jiro to hear properly. Though if they are just common thugs hopefully that the weak woman act worked on Jiro so he'll help in case things go south.

Through great effort, August pushed his way through the masses. He could see Livia and the same stranger rather close to the public market stands. His throat was sore from yelling, only to attention of confused onlookers. August felt like a frightened father. It was an uncomfortable contrast from his soldiering personality. Before he could reach the interlopers, August could see that Livia was engaging in (what seemed to be) friendly conversation. That would have been perfectly fine, had not the man been dressed in the heaviest of armor. "Thank Mila I found you!" he said in relief while pushing by the last bystander. Livia turned her gaze from the kind knight before her. Her eyes lit up in surprise, and in succession, distaste. "About time you got here." she rotated back to the fortress-like man. "This is my friend, Augustus Lucentgate. But don't let him get on your bad side, because he'll never get away from it." Livia quipped. August put his hands to his sides. He was both panting and trying to stand properly. He looked at the man, and knew exactly what to say. "You should have told me you were going to elope, Livia." he chided. A grin broke out on his face, and he extended his hand to the knight. August envisaged him to be a man of honor, or at the very least, someone who's company he would prefer.

Well, to be fair Uwu's cloak was indeed hiding her pointed ears, but it wasn't like she cared normally. Still, it'd probably be better to keep her hood up for the time being, don't want to cause a commotion or anything. Besides if she had the chance to transform in front of them that would make it all the more dramatic and cool. The perfect plan. There was no way that could go horribly wrong.
In any case Uwu was pleased as punch to be able to come along with Isabelle and her friends. Uwu turned to the cleric with a huge smile. "Oh I don't mind at all, I'm quite grateful you are letting me come with you," she said, "and I suppose I'll take his wordiness as a compliment then."

"You're joking right? Do I look like...I can't hold my liquor? Besides...I think it's time for some fresh air if you get my meaning..." said Jiro with a cough as he looked over to the corner and he got up and picked up his big broad sword and swung it over his shoulder. "Come on live a little Risk. You can't live in a place like this all day I mean it's not like there's a group of people screaming at you to stay put or anything." Jiro said simply as he walked wobbling over to the door with a simple nod to the bar tender. He even had to grab a seat to straighten himself. "God damn it I feel like shit...I thought Ylisse beer would be better than Plegian..." grumbled Jiro with annoyance.

Zaku walked along the way and looked to the left and to the right and stopped. "What the hell is up with you Zaku? Let's get going!" Isabelle complained to the myrmidon, "If you're going to be a big loser and screw with me then at least have the-" Zaku stopped her mid sentence and motioned for them to follow him down an alleyway. Isabelle frowned at Zaku but nodded anyway grumpily. Zaku quickly moved down the alley and by the edge of the alley a man in a black cloak looked at them before vanishing back behind the corner. "Muggers...or worse...I could kill them...but I don't think that work with the guards in this city. Best to avoid conflict." Zaku grumbled but he didn't stop moving. "Plural....son of a exalt..." Isabelle grumbled as she kept up with Zaku. "Don't worry Uwu Zaku is a dumb butt but he's a deadly dumb butt. We'll be at that inn soon enough don't you worry!"

His vision kept trained, Hallen did, in fact, managed to spy out the other armored man shouldering his way through the thicket of people. Said man's concern was quite apparent; was this because of himself, the knight wondered? Or was perhaps this young woman something more than she seemed? He wouldn't get an immediate nor definite answer.

Whatever the case was, the lady seemed to know the newcomer, perhaps if not all that fondly. "This is my friend, Augustus Lucentgate," She introduced to the man of hulking armor, "But don't let him get on your bad side, because he'll never get away from it." Looking over Augustus now that he was somewhat less panicked, Hallen saw the plated vestments of a sort of soldier. Not one from Ylisse or Plegia, based on the design, but no less stilted regardless.

"You should have told me you were going to elope, Livia," The armed man joked, earning a scoff from his associate. His spirits at ease, August extended a firm yet light hand to the heavy knight, who returned it with his careful armored grip.

"I'm afraid you're no oracle, good man," Hallen let out his own sort of quip, completing the shake. "Ah, but what sort of a bulky thing am I, anyway? Sir Hallen Griswald, of the Armor Knights of Ylisse." He nodded, unable to do much else grace in his heavy armor, then continued to explain, "I've just arrived on my own today, you see, so I have yet to settle down and get this ton of metal off properly."

Asterisk giggled when Jiro wobbled towards the door. Though she did catch Jiro's meaning or at least she hoped that she did as she stood up calmly with tome in hand and walked beside Jiro making sure he could at least make it to the door. "You look like you could use a bucket or two." Asterisk commented on Jiro's drunkenness. Then turning slightly to look at the ruffians who surely enough, moved from their corner and slowly made their way through the room to probably mug her and Jiro. She didn't like the fact that even during a festival there are people who would take the opportunity to take advantage of the good people enjoying it, though she was no different but at least she didn't use force. Seeing as Jiro was using a chair to straighten himself she took the chance to open the door for him. "Elders first." Asterisk joked then turning to look outside. Sun shining brightly, people walking happily and no guards to be seen. "That's weird." Asterisk thought.

Sir Hallen Griswald. August let the name sink in, as did Livia. He heard the strange texture of Ylissian names, but it was enlightening to listen from an actual native. The quip Hallen threw out to August confirmed his good nature, at least. The knight looked older than he was. August hoped that he would be able to share war stories with Hallen. It was a custom of relativity in Valm, even if a minor one. He pulled back his hand from the iron handshake. Though before he could speak, Livia jumped up and did a fast twirl. She seemed to acquire an idea of sorts.

"I just thought of something!" indeed, August was proven correct. Livia stroked her hair, pulled it back behind her head, and continued. "Hallen, if you're a knight, then does that mean you know the Exalt?" she questioned with great excitement.

August immediately made the assumption that Livia would try something foolish. Not wanting to embarrass Hallen, he enunciated against her. "Never mind my anxious companion, Sir Griswald. Tell me, would you be interested in joining a fellow soldier in one of these Ylissian taverns?" August stepped in front of Livia.

"I was talking to him first! she pushed the Valmese to the side. "I bet you know all sorts of things about the Exalt! It wouldn't hurt too much to satisfy a girl's curiosity, would it?" such a statement would have been innocent, had it not been for the sly grin she surfaced at the end.

"I'm thirty Risk I'm not some elderly screw ball to be coddled by a stranger." Jiro said as he walked down the street and past the stalls. Jiro made some comments about some of the people there like an elderly gentleman selling cases of perfume. He pointed out a pegasus knight up in the sky passing by and he grinned at a group of kids running through the street. "The world is beautiful don't you think? It's beautiful yet so ugly...so many great things only to be bogged down by strangers who don't care enough. We're all humans and yet we-Bah I'm way to drunk this ain't like me! Hah! If my dad could see me now he'd probably steal my sword and smack me on the side of the head. Scumbag that he was..." grumbled Jiro as they passed down a street and Jiro forced Asterisk to turn down a corner as he tilted his head backwards. "And nationalistic bull crap that doesn't help either." Jiro added under his breath as he thought about how this whole ordeal here was about to get messy as he noticed a thief stalking them from behind. He also figured those guys from the bar would be not too far behind. "Let me confide something in you real quick Asterisk: I'm not a perfect guy and I will never claim to be. I may be drunk...but I'm as Jiro as Jiro will ever be. Never change yourself for anyone only put on a mask when you need too."

The two individuals seemed impressed by Hallen's announcement. Certainly, a name and title helped to bring power to an appearance, and they recognized that. As August retracted his grip from the handshake, Livia suddenly burst around, apparently having some sort of sudden thought, "Hallen, if you're a knight, then does that mean you know the Exalt?"

Immediately following her excited cry, the soldier chipped against her - "Never mind my anxious companion, Sir Griswald. Tell me, would you be interested in joining a fellow soldier in one of these Ylissian taverns?"

"Hm, well-"

"I was talking to him first!" The girl interrupted in aggravation, shoving the man aside to interject back to the knight in excitement. She really did want to know about the Exalt, did she? To Hallen, Livia was seeming an awful lot like some sort of fangirl. "It wouldn't hurt too much to satisfy a girl's curiosity, would it?"

Cautiously picking his words, Hallen replied, "I think you're assuming a bit much much, there. I'm afraid I don't personally know the newer Exalt. I had to serve under that- ..." The knight faltered, unsure if he wanted to take his words in this direction. "-that accursed wretch of an Exalt, Norman." He lined his words with venom of disgust, driving home his spite of the old Ylissian tyrant.

Turning back to August, who had since recovered from Livia's angry push, Hallen continued his reply to him, "I appreciate your offer of talk, Augustus, but my experiences of war were within the Holy War - shameful acts I have no desire to recall." The knight shook his head in light of this. "I do hope you understand. Perhaps, though, none of us are beyond sharing a drink?"

Walking through the busy streets was tiring nothing like walking through the country side which was refreshing. The atmosphere of the city was something she never felt before but it's not as if she hated it, it was weird that's all. There were many people passing them by but the one that annoyed Asterisk were the one that had children, she didn't know why but she just does. The stalls were all bright and colorful with many things on sale but mostly food and small trinkets. The Pegasus knight that flew through the air reminded her of the Wyvern that was in Plegia, she hadn't been home for two years but it's not like she could just sneak back in. "I thought the world was always like this. Strangers or no. Hahah! But you should really sit down and have a little bit more water."Asterisk replying to what Jiro has said then continuing "I'm pretty sure your father was not a scumbag..." Said Asterisk tried to sound optimistic but she then sigh thinking that this wasn't like her at all as well, she would have been at a inn by now resting on their comfy bed but here she is listening to an old man's rambling while being chased by ruffians.
All of a sudden, Jiro pulled Asterisk making her turn to a different direction nearly making her drop her tome. "Geez, you could at least tell me when you're going to do that." Asterisk exclaimed. "Kinda hurt too..." she whispered softly to herself. Asterisk was not that perceptive about her surroundings especially when they are many people about so she easily missed the thief. Then Jiro gave her some advise that felt like a sharp jab, she couldn't help but give some kind of response back. "I'm not a child Mr. Jiro and I certainly need not advice from-" she then suddenly stopped after realizing that she was almost shouting. "I'm sorry Mr. Jiro I didn't mean to shout and I'll take your advice to heart." said Asterisk clenching her tome tighter. "Something was seriously wrong today." Asterisk thought as she let out another sigh looking slightly gloomy even with the smile.