Fire and Water

Selenia took a deep breath as she looked out in the direction of the Front Line, where she had just been minutes before. Now she was catching her breath and hoping to get a few wounds healed, the most important being the gash in her left arm. It wasn't her weapon arm so she could still fight if needed but it hurt very badly, distracting her from the fight. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back, her large ears drooping behind her with her hair. She wished that she didn't have to be in this fight- that no one had to be in it, from what she gathered in her years of training, very few even remembered what the reason for this war was yet it was still going on after all these years. Now, she may seem like a pacifist but she wasn't- she thought that fighting was the answer, sometimes

Selenia then opened her eyes and looked around her to all the others who were currently at the Resting City. Maybe they agreed with her about this belief, but most likely no, they were trained to fight and that's what they do… She sighed and looked down at her wound, biting her lip, it probably needed to be looked at… Great, that means she would need to go up to a healer and ask for help, something she did not like to do- ask for help. To put off (and hopefully no longer need to) asking for a healer she instead looked all around herself with the look of someone who needs help, so she wouldn't need to say it instead.

Mina smiled brightly as she wondered from bed to bed, making sure the soldiers were comfortable or in need of anything. It was then, checking the last bed, that she noticed the rabbit-like human and a rather large gash. "Oh dear." The young genasi looked down on her newest patient, kneeled down beside the bed, and went about cleaning the wound quickly. "You should have said something, soldier." She said softly. Her hand gently ran over the wound; a warm light glowed from her palm. As she removed her hand, the skin was already knitting back together, leaving a faint pink mark behind.

"There. That's better, isn't it?" Mina asked, finally having a chance to look at her patient. The woman looked exhausted, worn to the core, and it wasn't just the wound. "Would you like to talk?" Her voice giving away the feelings that stirred inside her. It felt...strange, this desperate want to help her.

Selenia looked down at her now healed arm and heaved a sigh of relief at the now pink scar which replaced her painful wound. She smiled up at the woman who healed her with a thankful smile. "Thank you." She told her shyly. When asked if she would like to talk she looked away and bit her lip, thinking. She wasn't sure if her thoughts would be appreciated by this person, she might just reject her and get her in trouble with the higher ups and they would cast her out… She dismissed those thoughts, they were the worst possible outcome and probably wouldn't happen- and this woman seemed to kind… she decided to just say it. "Well, it's just that…" She paused and took a deep breath "Let me ask you this; why did this war start?"

It was strange, Mina thought, that she had asked a similar question earlier of her mentor with no answer, and here she was about to give the same. "I…I don't know." She was a bit unsteady as she replied. She tried to think on her teachings, but it was so long ago. "I was taught that it was Zeus' brothers began the war, with Zeus attempting to end his brothers' feud only to be dragged into the war, but..." Mina looked almost nervous when she continued, "I've heard others tell that those tales are false." She looked again at her patient. "Why do you ask?"

Selenia's ear twitched as she looked to the woman seriously, her eyes showing her burning curiosity, "Then why do we fight?" Her eyes bore into the older woman's, searching for an answer to the question which had been running through her mind for years now.

The genasi stared back, smiling sadly. She knew she didn't hold the answer this girl was looking for, but she answered despite it. "For honor. For the love of our god and our people, and to protect those same people, present and future." She touched the woman's hand with such a delicate tenderness. " I wish I could be more help, but I don't have the answer that will make sense. You will have to find that on your own, like I will attempt to find my own purpose beyond this tent -- someday."

Selenia sighed and closed her eyes sadly, that wasn't the answer she was looking for, those weren't good enough reasons to kill so many people… But it was all she would be able to get out of… she just realized that she didn't know this woman's name. "Oh um, I'm sorry, but I don't know your name. My name is Selenia by the way." She said awkwardly. There's a reason she doesn't talk to new people much- she isn't good at it.

"No need to apologise, Selenia – and what a beautiful name!" She smiled. "I'm Minarastayia Igarhal, but everyone calls me Mina. No one can get around that tongue twister." She giggled. "I've never seen one of your kind here before, and not many females either – unless you can the priestesses, of course." Mina was taken by Selenia, even if the woman seemed a little discomfited by the war. "Is there anything else I can do for you? Do you need anything?"

She chuckled, "Well thank you and it's nice to meet you Mina." She nodded and tucked a strand of her hair that fell loose from the messy bun she had pulled her hair into earlier and looked away, "Yeah, you don't see a lot of animal-human hybrids anymore, except those who are some sort of tough and powerful animal not a 'helpless' one like a rabbit." She told her, using air quotes around the word helpless. Selenia then sighed and turned back to face her, "Unless you can get me some time away from the constant battle, I think I'm ok, thanks."

(I have to go, I shall be back in about an hour!)

Mina giggled at the air quotes, biting her lips with a sort-of glee. "That would be their downfall then, for not realizing what a quick and bright opponent you are." The last statement sent Mina's mind wondering. Perhaps she could...if Selenia was willing to train as a healer. They were always low on helping hands, and lately, more and more soldiers were coming in. She was sure Kay wouldn't mind, and it would another female around other than the stodgy priestesses she had to surround herself with… "Maybe I could help you." And she told the young woman of her plan, waiting anxiously for a reply.

(No problem. May be in bed by then, but will reply first thing in the morning.)

Selenia cocked her head curiously. "Help me? With what?" She didn't even think she could be talking about how she had asked to get some time away from fighting since she had been making a joke because the thought of getting away seemed foreign; if you're a fighter, you're a fighter until you are physically unable to do so anymore.

Violet relaxed after they had flown a little longer. Her hand was resting on Jay's neck as the dragon flew just above the ground, then higher up, almost in the clouds. She scanned their surroundings as he dropped back low to the ground. She kept one eye on Cadmar, the other on everything else around them. She didn't want to get lost, and he seemed to know what he was doing.

L'arachel was resting on the top of a old damaged building that stood high above a large bustling city. Her slender legs hung loosely of the edge and she swung them freely as a cigarette was placed laxly between her small red lips and when it dulled she threw it downwards. She whipped her silver hair out of her eyes and sighed, letting a cloud of smoke to escape her mouth.

"Lume's training city is quite boring. I don't see why I've been tasked to spy, there's nothing but little people enjoying their stupid miserable lives. At least my replacements are coming soon. After that I can leave this rotting piece of shit." L'arachel spat although no one probably could hear her.

She stood up on the edge of the building and put her small hands on her exposed hipbones.

"Guess, I'll just go and find em'." L'arachel once again spoke to herself. But without another word to slow her down she pounced off of the building and let the wind wrap around her body, the ground became clearer and clearer but before she could turn herself into a body of broken bones her hands grabbed a pole that struck out of the building and she swung herself from there to a lower roof.

"Well," Mina cleared her throat, "you could always train to be a healer. You wouldn't be in direct contact with the war and we need another hand; more and more soldiers have been coming in lately, and there are only three others, besides me." Her voice was breathy, wondering if the woman-rabbit would accept, though she understood that compared to the fields, her vocation might seem dull.

Selenia simply sat there for a moment, slightly stunned. She could get away from the actual fighting? "B-but I'm not a healer... I know nothing of medicine except how to do an amateur wrap of a large wound for the times a warrior can't reach the Resting Center." She was genuinely confused as to how this would work, doesn't someone need medical experience before they can become a healer?

Mina shook her head; her eyes glowing with enthusiasm. "I can teach you!" She was nearly bouncing on her seat. "You are a magical creature, therefore you can learn spells. Minor healing spells are easy! " She paused and then giggled as a thought entered her mind. "Well, as long as you don't confuse a healing spell with an enlargement spell. It can get ugly then…but I'm sure that won't happen!" Mina studied Selenia, genuinely curious if the young woman would accept. "It's up to you, of course." She flustered. " Everyone must choose their own way."

Riven coughed, seeing new blood stain his hand. Sometimes he could blood in his lungs, but he never went to the resting center. What was the point? He'd just be back out here in a few days, right back into the pain the gods forced on all of them. Oh, he didn't want to be here; he never even wanted to pretend to be here. Fact was, he knew there wasn't many ways to get out besides death. Pawn chirped and made Riven smile; to think that chirp could be a roar too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mask urged Raven up into the sky, black wings of the Nightmare easily lifting them off the ground. He didn't often stay on the ground long, unless in battle; so, flying was the next best thing. Raven clicked it's fangs absently, shaking it's mane while Mask looked out over the battle ground. No on was sure if he enjoyed killing or if he wanted out of this place like others; and no one dared ask him.

Vesi wasn't yet permitted to leave the Resting Center, but the little demon really didn't care. He walked right out of the room, the only way to go, ignoring the nurses' orders to go back to his room. Even the guards knew better than to pursue him, he would be back sooner or later after fighting. "Stu-p-id Godssss," he muttered. "Sssstuck i-in thissss w-war! W-why can't they-y l-let usssss outs?" (Sorry if his five-year-old speaking annoys you. Deal with it.) Vesi then headed past the room in which newly brought in patients were waiting. "Hell-oooss," Vesi said as he walked by. "Thissss will be a lung dah. LONG D-D-D! I no c-care..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hasira fought for a few hours before heading to the Resting Center. She didn't have to fight as long as the others due to the fact that she was a new recruit. Hasira also got out when a large wound was inflicted on her arm by an Els de Flora. She was taken in, and Hasira waited on the chair patiently for the healer to walk in. She then noticed some kind of human-animal hybrid in the other room, across from her. "How are you," She asked. "What are you exactly, anyways?"

Selenia didn't move, her mouth open to reply to Mina but she couldn't get the words out. Her mind was racing with this new information. After a minute she shook her head to clear her thoughts. "U-um, sure? I'll- ok." She stuttered out with a smile. She knew that she might miss fighting but judging by the amount of people here it seemed like she would be too busy to think about it much and if she missed it too much she could always take a day off from healing and fight again right?

She was broken from these thought by someone else's voice talking to her. Selenia looked around curiously for the source and came across another girl, maybe a year or two younger than she sitting across from her. A small, shy smile came onto her face at the girl. "I-I'm good…" She said quietly but loud enough for her to hear. She cocked her head to the side at her question, momentarily forgetting that not many people have seen a hybrid before. "Oh! Um, I'm an Usagimimi." SHe shrugged, "It's basically a human/ rabbit hybrid." She told her softly.

Before Mina could show her excitement at Selenia's answer, a voice wavered over. The genasi turned around and smiled brightly at the young girl before it quickly disappeared into a frown upon seeing the wound. "Oh dear." Mina walked over and inspected the arm with gentle hands. "Let's get you to this bed over here and fix you right up!" With her supplies still out from cleaning the Usagimimi's arm, she walked the younger girl over to the bed next to Selenia and began to clean the wound.