Fight School [OOC/Signup]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, back at Beta.

luigi_mellownoiz.png

I'll fix up the character sheet tomorrow then, since I have to go to sleep and wake up early to go to some temple thing.
Also, Nano because apparently a friend of mine wanted me to put Nano and I thought: Why the hell not?
But yeah, I'll fix up the background a bit, and then fix up everything else. I'll fix up with the ability, though, I don't really plan on changing her fighting style, since I'm perfectly alright with it. I actually intended for her to be able to develop her fighting styles and deepening her understanding over the course of the role play. At least, if that makes any sense. But yeah, I'll change things all up.

And we should be good ouo
I hope.
Oh dear.

Ok Nano, lemme rephrase what I said...

We are TELLING you to pick a fighting style besides Tessenjutsu, and duplication of fighting styles is not allowed. I might not have made that perfectly clear, sorry.

OH. THEN THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING.
Alright, I'll pick another fighting style, and it SHOULD, more emphasis on the should if it wasn't already, be fixed up tomorrow, or the day after. Or now. That's works too, but probably not.

It is student NPC submission time!

6a38ca193ecb9d72ff96cbf43380cfc6.jpg

Csenge Hajós is a second-year student of B-2 rank, long-time practicioner of Capoeira and more recently, a sore spot for the Imperius Gloria. She is slowly turning into a force of influence that might end up upsetting the social order of New Peaks. While her first year has been reasonably quiet save for some flashy victories on her side, she has been involved in many rash happenings as of late. She and her circle of friends have been stirring up trouble by standing up for bullied students, especially Mendicants and non-human individuals, often engaging the bullies in unsanctioned fights. During these, she always claims that she is fighting for equality.

To understand where she is coming from, Csenge is a child of a family who has emigrated from Hungary during the revolution of 1956 due to their involvement in it and her family still clings very strongly to their roots. As a result, she speaks both English and Hungarian fluently, not that the latter is much use at New Peaks. She has been raised believing that people are equal, that freedom is worth fighting for, that she should not tolerate people trying to oppress her or any others. She was taught to defend herself from an early age until she was formally introduced to Capoeira.

After several years of studying the art, she took first place in a well-known competition at the young age of 14. This naturally earned her the attention of New Peaks and she was enrolled as a scholarship student at 15. But she did not like what she saw at all. Many people like her were being bullied or made fun of, so she slowly created a small network of like-minded students that she could provide a safety net with. At first, their activities were very low-key such as helping those in need, but Csenge's patience has ran out recently and she intends to make her opinion heard along with the opinions of those at the bottom of the social ladder.

Personality: Somehow managing to be reasonably polite but brash and challenging at the same time, those who earn Csenge's ire will quickly find themselves the targets of harsh, degrading insults that flow like finely-made poetry. She may use polite terms to refer to people, but she will not hesitate to challenge you if she thinks that your head is up your own ass, which happens more frequently than it should. She is never one to back off from a fight, even if she does not have a chance, which had earned her some begrudging respect from many factions. Her sense of camaderie is also very strong; she places a lot of trust in her friends and those who support her cause, not to mention that she speaks far more softly to them.

It should also be noted that she always seems to respect authority, with the keyword being 'seems'.

Power: Csenge's sense of balance is nothing short of extraordinary. It is very hard to completely sweep her off her feet, not to mention that she can recover very quickly from situations that would leave other people dizzy and disoriented, often surprsing people with her resilience. She often abuses her ability to perform flashy, acrobatic moves in combat even when a straight approach would be much better.

Other: She wears fake cat ears firmly attached to her head as a sign of her protest against New Peaks' subtle forms of discrimination and refuses to take them off even during fights. Rumours say that she does not take them off at all, not even in the shower.

Last edited:
Last warning for @Detective Zero, @KiroAkira, and @Seth'sit

You all said you would post a few days ago and have not. You have 12 hours remaining on the deadline I set. If no posts are made by you in that time, you will be removed from the RP.

@Nano

We patiently await your CS's completion. Wait much longer, and I will remove 'patiently' from the sentence.

Sorry, I probably won't join after all. Exams are coming up, and I've been pretty busy. That, and I haven't been able to really reply to too many of my role plays to begin with, so I probably won't be joining -w-

Again, apologies for that.

As we have now moved the RP forward, I would like for everyone to engage in a fight of some kind before the next timeskip. It can be against another player or an NPC. Either one works.

-----------------------------------------------​

Edit: All currently active players may raise their number rank by 1. If you are at Rank 1 for your character's letter, then you may go to Rank 3 of the next letter.

Last edited:
Borovikovsky_maria_Lopukhina.jpg

Name: Maria Ivanova

ID: 71232459

Year: 1

Nationality: Russian-Filipino

Appearance: Her head, neck, and shoulders are full of flawless grace, but her back, belly, and limbs are covered in long, ugly lines of scares, and her hands and feet are even worse, with memories of torn skin and badly-healed blisters deforming them beyond her age -- thus, she's most always completely covered up, though her experience living in a tropical country has made her practically immune to the heat.

Fighting Style: No belts in the school of arnis she learned, but her rank is roughly equal to that of a first degree black belt. Her training was mostly focused on weapon-fighting, particularly with the baton, the spear, and the knife, though her masters' style also had a rather unusual emphasis on grappling.

Powers: Nothing, for now.

Background: Maria developed very little interest in anything as a child -- perhaps a foot in fine arts here, a hand in fighting there, a tongue in music here, an eye in biology there, but never any concentrated efforts to become, well, someone. She never needed to become someone, anyway -- though her parents were divorced, her father, some big Russian oil magnate, always kept a keen eye on her and her mother's bank account, for reasons which, judging by the constant fights her mom and dad got into every time they met, were beyond her.

Of course, her mother had other plans, and at the age of seven, she was practically kidnapped by her mother, and taken to some private island in the hidden reaches of Southeast Asia to learn the ancient Filipino martial art of Arnis, of which her mother was both a master and born to a family of masters. This resulted in the flourishing of a lot of Maria's natural talents -- her speed, her coordination, her incredible flexibility, her unnatural invulnerability to pain, and ever her singing, what with her kiai being well-known for its, er, creativity -- but of these, the greatest to develop was her absurd sense of vengeance, most of which she directed at her mother.

At the age of fourteen, however, after more than a thousand attempts at the pettier forms of vengeance, such as messing with her mother's clothes, unhealthily flirting with her fellow students, sneaking alcohol into the family island, and using real knives in practice matches with her mother, she realized that the only way she was truly going to fulfill herself was if she put a permanent stop on the whole of her mother's designs, and so she devised a plan. Every year, on the day of her birthday, her father would be allowed to visit the island, and he always came partying on his liner-sized yacht -- the plan was, to put it simply, to sneak herself onto her father's yacht, and hope she wasn't found until the nearest port.

The day of the celebrations and came, and, well, everything went to butt early on. In fact, everything had gone to butt ever since she was 'kidnapped' by her mother -- her father, she didn't have the mental grace to realize, had actually agreed with her mother's plan, and, hearing of a certain school for special students just like her, added to it, choosing to make it more, er, international. He arrived not on his party-boat, but on a helicopter, and he wasn't the one who left the island the next morning.

And of course, first thing she learned in fight school's its first rule: don't fail fight school.

Personality: The great conflict between her father's spoiling love and her mother's brutal discipline naturally caused Maria to develop a lot of personality. She can be very moody, at times irritable and withdrawn, at times irritable and all-out, but, at least by her own admission, she is not depressed -- press that analysis on her, and she'll definitely show you she's not depressed. She's also prone to doing a lot of wild things, at least outside of business she doesn't deem serious, but these wild things, she never acts on with conviction; when she does deem something serious, she gets real determined, though at the same time much more conservative. As for what she would most likely deem serious, well, seeing as this is her first independent contact with the outside world, she's decided to make the most out of her current situation....

*clears throat violently*

Haven't done one of these in a while. *breath spray spritz*

Erhem....

The pic needs to be fixed, ASAP. That picture depicts not a Russo-Filipino girl, but a clearly Victorian English girl. Need to match the nationality with the faceclaim at least a little, mate. I'd also like it not to be from a painting, simply because that just kinda stinks as a premise. Every time I look at her I keep wondering 'Is this the Doctor's companion, is this why she's in 2016?'

...what do you mean 'for now' in the powers category? Is she supposed to be developing an ability? Either she has one or she doesn't mate, can't keep the GMs themselves in suspense. If you want to keep it a secret from your fellow RPers, that's one thing, but I think Beta and I would need to know of and approve any ideas around power development.

Got thrown off with the awkward swap of backstory and personality, but no biggie. I'll do em in order.

If she's doing a hodgepodge of stuff that seem to give her an eclectic persona, then she clearly IS becoming someone: An eclectic person who doesn't commit to anything in particular. This is more a nitpick than anything, but it's a niggling one I'd like addressed.

The whole backstory is chock-full of run-ons, which is obnoxious and tiring to read in abundance. I know that makes me a grammar Nazi, but I need to be able to read your stuff without having to pause for breath in the middle of a sentence. Again, more a nitpick than a character gripe.

On that note...The hell is this 'invulnerability to pain' and 'incredible flexibility' stuff? The first one sounds like a power, the second something that should be mentioned a little more prominently as a character feature. But as for invulnerability to pain...that brings up the Guts from Berserk problem where you keep on fighting, and THEN realize you're broken all to hell irreparably. Not to mention...it's stupidly overpowered in less critical situations. It has to go. And the kiai stuff...that honestly is just silly, unnecessary, and awkward. By all means, make her a good singer, but she doesn't need to screech all the time.

I'm totally lost on WHY she vows vengeance on her mother. Sure, she was kidnapped, but she taught her essentially how to be badass. Personally, I'd be giving her a high five. I think she's gonna need a better reasoning, really. It seems like the DAD is the deadbeat drunk who can't trust his money, much more vengeance-worthy.

Moving on...the hell? WHY is she going to New Peaks? Because her father decided she was a special case so she airlifted her out of their lives? Yeah, upon arriving at New Peaks, she could just blab her story to a staffer and get both parents arrested. That's just a poorly contrived reason for her to go. If she doesn't want to, she CANNOT be forced to without a REALLY good reason, i.e. being blackmailed or something. Moreover, what 'plan' did her mother have, exactly? You never specify despite it being a major plot point.

Personality...it works, I guess. Except for one thing, which I'll mention below.

The biggest issue, as you might have guessed, lies with the backstory, which is really all over the place. It's going to need much more exposition or an overhaul to be more acceptable. Depending on the route you take, her personality will have to change as well. For a first attempt, it's better than some of the CS's we've seen here, but it needs more polishing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thing!

I lol at the comment on the picture. That's Maria Lopukhina, Russian national, painted by Vladimir Borovikovsky in the 18th century: Vladimir Borovikovsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I found that in a book of Russian art. She's purely Russian, sure, but it's hard to find pictures of people of that specific nationality; plus, I've met a lot of Filipinas who look, well, super-Caucasian, but have at least one, er, properly Filipino parent. I'm not gonna change the picture.

I'll remove the "for now".

....what I meant by she didn't want to become someone in specific was precisely that, that she was eclectic, but completely undedicated. It's hard to be everything nowadays.

They're not run-ons, just painfully long sentences. They're style flaws, but not errors, unless you're that much of a perfectionist.

It's hyperbole, but I guess I wasn't clear on that. And it's a bit ridiculous, but I really, really like the screeching.

Her mother taught her to be a bad-ass, but forced her to train and poop -- and, as noted, she didn't really want to be anything, so becoming a bad-ass just felt like a pain in the ass to her.

Guess I need to clarify much of the backstory, then. I never was very good at making a coherent backstory in character-sheet form. I'll get onto it as soon as possible.

On that note...The hell is this 'invulnerability to pain' and 'incredible flexibility' stuff? The first one sounds like a power, the second something that should be mentioned a little more prominently as a character feature. But as for invulnerability to pain...that brings up the Guts from Berserk problem where you keep on fighting, and THEN realize you're broken all to hell irreparably. Not to mention...it's stupidly overpowered in less critical situations. It has to go. And the kiai stuff...that honestly is just silly, unnecessary, and awkward. By all means, make her a good singer, but she doesn't need to screech all the time.
@RiverNotch

You seem to have forgotten to address this bit.

On a different note, I've been hurking my guts up for the last day and a half, and will get to making my GM post in the IC Thread once I feel better.

I'm actually going to say one thing, and that's even if I was mistaken on the picture's nationality (and for that, I apologize), it still needs to change. The girl still appears to belong in the early 18th century, and that fashion just doesn't fit in 20XX New Peaks very well at all. I'd much prefer a more time-appropriate picture.

Reactions: Beta
And now, a haiku.

Oh my dear pepe
Pepe my pepe, pepe
Such dank rare pepe

ATTENTION ALL VIEWERS!

With Beta's banning, I have been given the reins of Fight School to continue running it as Head GM. This thing is NOT going to die on my watch. Vincento and Shotaro will be given GM-character status, and anyone can use them however they see fit, so long as you contact me to work things out beforehand. In addition, I want a check-in to see if you all still wish to continue though our GM is gone. I understand if you wish to leave, but would prefer to see this thing through to the finish, if that's quite alright with y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detective Zero
Status
Not open for further replies.