Fight School [OOC/Signup]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her sheet has been edited by way of:

*Age decreased to 15
*Decreased rank to C3
*Removal of iaido martial art completely
*Fixed awkwardly written explanation making it seem like pressure in her body increases physical abilities
*Removed future abilities
*Changed backstory to make more realistic (a.k.a. dark)
*Added fear of fire into personality
*Added burn marks onto her back in appearance

Here's the link to find it easily: Fight School [OOC/Signup]

If I forgot to do something or need to edit more stuff, feel free to tell me. The character is turning out better than before thanks to the level of strictness.

EDIT: Oh, and I finally figured out why I was confused by you saying I can't be black belt in more than one. I can't be black belt " in either one" meant if I had them both, not that I couldn't have black belt in one of them if it was by itself. Silly me.

Alright, I put this off long enough.

Here's my review of Hikaru.

Taking the edits into account, of course.

You're fine by me until we reach the power...

I know Beta's worked with you, but I just...I don't think I can accept the pressure power.

Here's my reasoning:

1: It's got too many uses for a C3 first-year character in my honest opinion. Shields, knocking people over, AND increased power and jump height is overdoing, or 'Hoefing', it, as Beta and I like to call it. The rest of the first-years' powers generally allow one, maybe two, buffs or special abilities; you've got four from my count, and it's just a bit unfair.

2: Most fights at New Peaks aren't going to last three minutes, and the rest barely go beyond that, so that time period of activity is either pointless or too high. I'm not sure which it is right now, but it's one of the two.

3: The way you have it worded, it sounds like the average enemy fighting her practically gets penalized for hitting her, guaranteed, if it's active, due to pressure, shifting balance, and everything else. I don't like this concept: Even though Junkiro has a similar 'punish contact' strategy, Jun's easily prone to letting strong or fast attacks slip through and not get stuck, which is its balance. I don't really see a balance here.

4: Just cut out the crapdoken. It's pointless and adding yet another ability onto Hikaru when I already mentioned my qualms about having too many abilities.

5: I think you're underestimating the depressurization of air. Depressurization is what caused the Columbia Space Shuttle to blow up and is what sucks people out of airplanes when a cabin door is opened. There would be intense compression necessary, beyond a pressurized cabin, to compress air SO sharply that it could form a force capable of blocking attacks, or even be felt enough to even somewhat deter motion. It would take much longer to safely depressurize that, and depressurizing it all at once would probably be enough to send them both flying, possibly even rip the body part in question off of Hikaru.

All these things in conjunction are why I don't like the power on her right now.

Okay, that's taken care of. Moving right along.

Feisty, tomboyish, and stubborn all seem like contrasting character traits to motherly. And just how is she motherly, exactly?

Backstory time.

One paragraph in and you dangle a juicy plot piece, her brother going to the yakuza, and then go into no detail on it whatsoever, like I'm a fish and you're just baiting a hook.. What deals did he pull, what decisions did he make? I'm already put off by the backstory because you lack detail on what seems to be a pivotal plot piece to understanding Akio and Hikaru's backstory.

...So the leader wanted to teach them a better lesson by firebombing their possessions rather than just outright kill them and take their things? No mafia or gang I've ever seen would operate like this: If you piss the mafia off, they don't teach you a lesson to behave next time, they either bust your legs or outright kill you. This suspends disbelief just a bit too much for me. Moreover, if he's been dealing with the yakuza for years, why are they NOW getting pissed off and beating on Akio?

...panicked bystanders rushed to the scene, saw the yakuza, and managed to scare them off? Even with threat of a mob, yakuza have guns and intimidation, bystanders have nothing. Again, REALLY hard to believe. If they were going to make such a dramatic, obvious scene with a firebombing, CLEARLY they feel above the law or have absolutely no fear of notice and would probably have opened fire on the crowd.

Wait, she HAD parents? Why were they never mentioned once? I had honestly thought her brother Akio was her caretaker, and I got terribly confused.

And then, AFTER the yakuza cut ties with Akio and firebombed his house, how in hell's name did he still have 'buddies' in the system who'd help him do something SO irresponsibly stupid as rob their own gang? This whole backstory stinks of too much belief suspension. Any normal human being in the mafia would cut all ties to someone blacklisted by them. Or was a firebombing just a 'friendly warning'? Either way, I'm not buying it.

Lastly, if a student were beaten into a coma on New Peaks property, there would have been a thorough investigation conducted, and they would have undoubtedly turned up at least some of his illegal activities if not the people who beat him into said coma, so I find it hard to believe that Hikaru, his only blood relative would have been left completely in the dark.

The whole backstory seems like it's just strung together plot movers with no interesting detail, no selling points, and seem to be tied together with somewhat unreasonable coincidences and events.

So, based on my review, I'm not ready to accept Hikaru yet. The backstory has some holes that need fixing, and I think the power needs a complete overhaul.

One paragraph in and you dangle a juicy plot piece, her brother going to the yakuza, and then go into no detail on it whatsoever, like I'm a fish and you're just baiting a hook.. What deals did he pull, what decisions did he make? I'm already put off by the backstory because you lack detail on what seems to be a pivotal plot piece to understanding Akio and Hikaru's backstory.
This part is fine. The character is Hikaru, not her brother. So not delving into HIS character is fine.

...So the leader wanted to teach them a better lesson by firebombing their possessions rather than just outright kill them and take their things? No mafia or gang I've ever seen would operate like this: If you piss the mafia off, they don't teach you a lesson to behave next time, they either bust your legs or outright kill you.
I'M the one who said to do that. The previous version was unacceptable. The current version is markedly better.

...panicked bystanders rushed to the scene, saw the yakuza, and managed to scare them off? Even with threat of a mob, yakuza have guns and intimidation, bystanders have nothing. Again, REALLY hard to believe.
Untrue. A couple people? Sure. Yakuza/Mafia/Triad/Etc would intimidate them away. A mob? They're not stupid. Opening fire on a crowd or assailing a large group of people would get them in VERY hot water VERY fast.

Lastly, if a student were beaten into a coma on New Peaks property, there would have been a thorough investigation conducted
Um... technically Shotaro could have easily put Jun into a coma. Mishaps can and WILL inevitably happen in this RP. If something like that happened, the fight would be heavily reviewed, the student who injured the victim would be questioned, and if malicious intent were discovered, they would be extradited to their home country and tried for attempted murder. However if there was no foul play... bad shit sometimes happens.

Okay, so I'm going to give my CS a go and see how it works out... at some point tonight. >.>.... if still okay.

I've had someone change their mind on me before is all. I like to cover my bases.

Seeing as how I was once involved with this RP before I vanished, I would like to apologize for my disappearance approximately a month ago. I was unfortunately forced into taking a nice little nap for a few weeks, which is why I went MIA. I don't expect anything out of this, I just thought I should at least inform this group and apologize.

Seeing as how I was once involved with this RP before I vanished, I would like to apologize for my disappearance approximately a month ago. I was unfortunately forced into taking a nice little nap for a few weeks, which is why I went MIA. I don't expect anything out of this, I just thought I should at least inform this group and apologize.

If you want to return, you may. Though I must admit I am curious as to what you mean.

If we want to get technical, she only has a single special ability (pressure). It's just that she can apply it in many different ways to achieve different effects (many of which will clearly not be allowed to be developed within this continuity).

The main problem with her powers seems to be that if you take it to the logical extremes, it makes perfect sense but then she becomes way too powerful, but if you tone it down it starts to not make as much sense (evident in your point about the shield depressurization). As a C3 she wouldn't be able to destroy much at all with her depressurization, so it's not an overpowered aspect of her power as presented in the sheet, but if we think about things through logical extremes then she would indeed be able to destroy a lot more. That being said, if she doesn't have destructive depressurization and has no leeway on the effects of her depressurization, then she also wouldn't be allowed shields, obviously, so shields shall be scratched off the list unless they are as weak as the crapdoken and just blow things around like a breeze...but I think I'll pass.

The crapdoken was to explain her further development into actually useful longer range attacks later on. No crapdoken, not future long range attacks, so that's done for as well. Not really a big issue for me so no problem.

For punishment of getting hit, it could easily be where there's no time limit, she'd have to focus on the point of impact and transfer the pressure to them rather than have it some sort of auto-hit, so if she's getting hit all over really fast she'd have no time to react. It's basically the reverse of Brad, pushing things away rather than sticking things on. If this ability isn't good enough then she will have no choice but to remove her pressure ability entirely...and she can commit seppuku!

The time limit could be severely shortened and instead be for an auto-hit version when they make contact anywhere on her skin to push them away. Maybe it would last 20 seconds until she faints. Or 10 seconds. I don't care. There doesn't seem to be much room for suspension of disbelief here, so would it also have to blow her clothing and weapon away? 0_o Well, that would remove that power if that's the case...

I guess motherly and acting like mother could be two different things, and if so then it's my mistake. Acting like a mother could be setting her children straight when they misbehave, although caring for them all the same. A lot of mothers might very well be stubborn in that regard. Being feisty and tomboyish don't correlate for or against being motherly, being separate traits, such as saying I like the color blue and pizza. Caring for the children (or close friends/family in her case to fit the description) would be the main qualification I was thinking of.

It's hard to fit every story into the backstory, but I could type some other stuff up. I don't feel like typing up a ton more backstory for Akio at the moment, though. I was hoping to reveal more of their past as they went along.

The point of them getting attacked at home was for the gang members to find out where Akio lived and mess with his family as well. I didn't overtly do any implying to this fact other then having people wonder what their ulterior motives were for sneakily following them home. I tend to not like mentioning every detail in my posts, leaving stuff for interpretation, but I could change my style a bit for these types of things if you guys desire. If it brings up the plot point why they didn't know where he lived already, I'm not sure how reasonable or not it would be for everyone to know the homes of all their rivals. I'm no expert on this.

Them taking on an angry mob or not, I'm no expert, like I said, so wouldn't know. It just seems like an unnecessary risk to me unless they wanted the family dead so badly they'd stick around to kill off the mob and then the family, risking cops showing up and all that during the meantime, unless they thought they could finish everyone off quickly enough or hope the mob would disperse and not just grow angrier. That's what happens during rebellions, but the psychology may be different between situations of rebellion and taking on a bunch of punks who just blew up their neighbor's house.

Going back to my not wanting to post a ton of details, I didn't feel the need to mention they had parents due to them not really factoring in much to the story that was going on up into the point they became relevant. If my backstory was a novel, I certainly would have mentioned them earlier.

I seems like from my brief research that there are multiple different yakuza fighting amongst each other or are at the very least rivals, so his specific group didn't cut ties with akio. This one does seem like my fault for not explaining that it was them wanting to keep him around and take part in another mission while he was wanting to change and go to school. Of course he caved in and helped them out, taking some money with him for the trouble.

The investigation would hinge a large part on how many cameras they have around campus. If they have a lot then I could definitely believe they'd catch the responsible party within a week or two. Otherwise they'd have to hope to find students who know about the incident and are not being frightened into keeping their mouths shut or in on it so obviously wouldn't talk. If they didn't find anyone who saw the crime they'd need to find people who knew about the past history between Akio and who could have a beef with him, which would be unlikely anyone at the school would know about outside of the guilty party. That means the cops would have to investigate the entire student body for ways that could put them at odds with Akio, or even possibly guess it could have been a heated incident without any previous history outside of the school. I don't know how well hidden the identities of yakuza members are or how in depth of an investigation it would take to expose them, so that might be a vital tidbit of information to see how reasonable or unreasonable it would be once they began the in depth investigations. However, even in the end that would still be circumstantial; two members of rival gangs happen to be in the same school and one gets beaten up...at a fight school, no less. I don't see that specific charge holding up in court against them.

But anyways, we could remove the mystery and just have it be Shotaro being a jerk. ;) That could still have some tension.

@Beta Thanks for the offer, I'll think on it.

Since you're curious about what exactly what I had meant, the answer can be found in this poorly written riddle:

What is similar to a nap yet almost a punctuation term?

@Beta Thanks for the offer, I'll think on it.

Since you're curious about what exactly what I had meant, the answer can be found in this poorly written riddle:

What is similar to a nap yet almost a punctuation term?
Another riddle to go along with what we think the answer is.

What is similar to the current state of mental wellbeing of the brother to a character of mine who is currently under scrutiny by Greased Smitening and Beta?

What's the most common word in the English language followed by the suffix -tose?

I think we're more interested as to why said riddle had to happen, though? You alright there?

As a C3 she wouldn't be able to destroy much at all with her depressurization
What GS is saying about the pressurization and depressurization is this.

To create a barrier of purely pressurized air, you would need something on the order of at least 20,000psi of pressure. To then DEpressurize something that incredibly dense... would be like setting off a live grenade directly on top of the body part the pressure was shielding.
I think we're more interested as to why said riddle had to happen, though? You alright there?
And yes, GS is correct. I knew what you meant, but the why eludes me.

For the backstory issues I have four main options:

1. Go along with one of your ideas and disregard the other: not recomended

2. Create a compromise backstory with both of your ideas somehow fitting in together, but then I don't like the back stories I have planned where this would work.

3. Scrap most of the backstory and start from scratch. I'm iffy about this.

4. Profit? Or actually, the application may end up being toast. "More like burnt toast" - Piccolo

For the backstory issues I have four main options:

1. Go along with one of your ideas and disregard the other: not recomended

2. Create a compromise backstory with both of your ideas somehow fitting in together, but then I don't like the back stories I have planned where this would work.

3. Scrap most of the backstory and start from scratch. I'm iffy about this.

4. Profit? Or actually, the application may end up being toast. "More like burnt toast" - Piccolo
Fix the power first, man; it's more worrisome. Unfortunately, based on what Beta and I have said, you'll probably need to go a different direction with it.

The backstory's of far less concern, and you can talk with us about it as well, so don't worry about it so much just yet.

For punishment of getting hit, it could easily be where there's no time limit, she'd have to focus on the point of impact and transfer the pressure to them rather than have it some sort of auto-hit, so if she's getting hit all over really fast she'd have no time to react. It's basically the reverse of Brad, pushing things away rather than sticking things on. If this ability isn't good enough then she will have no choice but to remove her pressure ability entirely...and she can commit seppuku!

The time limit could be severely shortened and instead be for an auto-hit version when they make contact anywhere on her skin to push them away. Maybe it would last 20 seconds until she faints. Or 10 seconds. I don't care. There doesn't seem to be much room for suspension of disbelief here, so would it also have to blow her clothing and weapon away? 0_o Well, that would remove that power if that's the case...
What about this, then? The other powers it seems a consensus that they will be removed but I'm up in the air if this would be allowed. For the clothing blowing away thing, maybe it just flows around her like in a strong breeze, which could make it look dramatic as well. Her weapon blowing away could be an in game problem for her unless she maintains her tight grip.

Well guys?

Want this week's contest?

It's the SAME ONE AS LAST TIME.

Because NONE of y'all entered last week.

Come on guys, get in the game :/

Er...actually Imp, how does the whole 'knock em over with a pressure deflector' work, exactly? It kinda doesn't seem to make sense. Could you reexplain that please? It seems a little confusing right now.

Last edited:
Er...actually Imp, how does the whole 'knock em over with a pressure deflector' work, exactly? It kinda doesn't seem to make sense. Could you reexplain that please? It seems a little confusing right now.
She forcefully transfers pressure from her skin to the object touching her.

I am very ill right now. Sorry for the lack of activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.