Far Out Fables- Greenie and KJ

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Greenie

Follow the Strange Trails
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
The small suburban town is what one may call boring, mundane, simply a place outsiders pass through to get to another more interesting city. The population is on the low side, but all amenities are available, even to those who may wish to stay a little while. Visitors aren't dissuaded, but wary eyes are usually cast over them, and a breath of relief once they are gone.

Creeker's Tale, after all, has far from normal inhabitants. At a glance, everyone seems normal, just like any other suburb. It is only when one delves deeper that they realize how different this place really is.

avan-jogia-beard-eyes-hair-Favim.com-3994328.jpg

Creeker's Tale, 8:30 pm, on a warm summer's night.

Aladdin, or Al as he was better known, liked to dress spiffy, enjoying seeming like someone with more money than he actually had. He was handsome enough with his clear eyes and mane of dark hair, and his manners were both charming with a little rogue added into the mixture. At the moment, he was heading out of a coffee shop. His demeanor would make it seem as if he was exiting after enjoying an expensive coffee or maybe a fancy sandwich. That couldn't be further from the truth, as he was simply the dishwasher, heading home after a long day.

He'd learned from when he was just a child that looks were always what people judged others by, whether they believed they did or not. He'd always looked like a street rat, and he'd always been treated as one too. That lead to various adventures in his past, a long, long time ago. A past with no point to look back at, in his opinion.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out an apple. Polishing it against his sleeve, he was transported back to a once upon a time, where he had offered an apple to a princess. He chuckled, shaking his head, and tossed the apple in the air. He caught it with ease and took a bite.

Bland, he thought to himself, shaking his head. Welp, better than nothin', I s'pose.

06nMAgY.png

9f8c9cec9dbe88c6984cb2ca60627970.jpg

Not far ahead of him a young blond woman stepped out of a high end clothing shop, though she herself had shopped at the goodwill second hand shop. Even so, she looked nice. Her long golden hair left loose in waves like liquid gold and her eyes emeralds. She was certainly a face not soon forgotten, yet her eyes showed little confidence.

Arms laden with bags she quickly stepped aside for the taller dark haired woman who nobody who knew of her could forget. Long black perfect hair done is cascading thick curls. Flawless makeup of course and purple eyes that seemed to glint with all the confidence and self assurance that the other woman lacked. "Adeline, I don't pay you to stand about, hail a cab" The dark haired woman said sharply.

The blonde didn't seem startled by the rudeness of speech or the dismissive wave of perfectly manicured fingers. "Ma'am there aren't any here, I called for one to pick you up at six, it's only five thirty" the blonde reminded her boss, shifting the weight of the bags on her arms.

"Well I can't stand out here on this filthy street and wait now can I" the taller woman said with a frown.

"Perhaps you could try on those dresses you liked while I call the cab company" the blonde quickly suggested.

"Hmm, very well, I expect a cab waiting when I return" The tall woman turned, waited for Adeline to open the door, and went back into the shop. Adeline let out an audible sigh and dropped the bags on the pavement so she could find her phone.

It was clear that the two women could not be any different. Adeline wore simple functional clothes, a nice, though second hand, blouse, slacks and comfortable flats. No makeup at all and nothing flashy to be spoken of.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Al wasn't afraid of eavesdropping. In fact, he considered it something of a skill, so it was no big surprise that he easily heard the conversation taking place further down the sidewalk. He looked up and saw the two women- Beauties, he corrected himself- and sidled to the side, leaning against the window of a shoe shop. There he waited and watched, munching nonchalantly on his apple. While they were both candy to the eyes, he wasn't too impressed by the dark haired lady. She seemed to have her nose so stuck up in the air that if it were to rain, she would drown.

He snickered inwardly at his thoughts, shaking his head slightly. It never seemed to matter how many changes took place, or how much humankind had progressed. There always had to be people who acted like they owned the world, and others who were treated as their doormats. Clearly the golden-haired one was the latter.

He waited until the dark haired lady returned to the shop before sauntering over, all smiles, a dimple in his chin. "Hey you," he greeted, pausing just a couple of feet away from Adeline. "That your boss or something? Sounds like a real piece of work." His boss was one too, but at least it was behind closed doors and not in public.

"So, my name's Al," he continued. "What's yours?"​

Adel one didn't so much as notice anyone watching or listening in, totally and completely focused on what she was doing. She had to be. Malet had a way of always doing the unexpected so she had to be prepared and ready to anticipate what the horrible woman might want.

It was no surprise that when Al approached and spoke to her, she nearly jumped out of her shoes in surprise. "Oh" she blushed "um, yes, that's my boss" she glanced in through the shop window where she could see the dark haired woman looking herself up and down in a mirror wearing a violet evening gown.

"Today she's not been too horrible actually" she said with a soft chuckle before she smiled up at the handsome young man. "Adeline" she added as introduction

Al hid a smirk, seeing the pretty lady smirk. It wasn't the first time nor would it be the last. He tended to have that effect on ladies, and he did use it to his advantage. Never to harm any woman, however. He liked to think of himself as a rogue with a lovable personality.

"Not too horrible, huh?" He looked through the window as well, admiring the sight of the beautiful woman. It always amazed him how some people ended up being so ugly on the inside. Then again, maybe I'm wrong and she isn't too bad. He didn't want to be just like those who judged him. Huh, I'll just focus on this beauty right now.

"Adeline, hm?" He smiled at her, eyes warm. "Beautiful named for a beautiful girl. Haven't seen you before, do you come here often?" He jerked a thumb toward his coffee shop. "I'm usually over there."

Meanwhile, another person was exiting the same shop Al was motioning toward. She was of average size and weight, wearing rather plain clothes, a plaid shirt with a t-shirt underneath and jeans under that. Her bright blue eyes were hidden behind big dark framed glasses. Her most notable feature was her blond, almost silver hair, pulled into a simple braid that rested on her shoulder. She seemed rather distracted as she walked down the sidewalk, muttering under her breath.
41e23b8f07d6da1e67c20d77a31f7310.png

Adeline looked back towards all and, once more, found herself blushing, but this time because of his compliment. She wasn't used to such things, of course, that was her own fault for working too much and not getting out enough. She liked her books and quiet time. She supposed that was because being around her boss was so incredibly stressful, the silence on her days off was nice. It also meant, she had no friends really.

"Oh, uh....uhm" she stumbled over her words, further embarrassed and turning more red than pink "Thank you...." she finally managed to get out with a shy nervous smile. "I only come down here when she wants and I uh.....I should probably call a cab for my boss before she really gets angry" she glanced towards the window again. She didn't fancy making the dragon upset. An angry dragon was difficult to calm. "But maybe we could go get a drink or something after she leaves?" she found herself offering for some unfathomable reason. Maybe it was because he seemed like a nice guy and actually having a normal person to talk to was something she unconsciously knew she needed.

Just as the silver blonde woman was exiting, a tall dark haired man was passing buy, paying no attention to whoever else might be walking towards him. His hands were shoved deep into his jeans pockets, brow furrowed and a frown on his whiskered face. It looked like he hadn't shaved for a few days, when in truth, he'd shaved the day before. His hair was black and would hang to his shoulders if it had been left loose.

The man was as equally distracted as the woman and in rout to collide if he didn't look up from the sidewalk soon.

"Yeah, you probably should," Al agreed with a chuckle. He could tell he was having an affect on the pretty lady, and it boosted his ego. It had been a while since he'd had the chance to talk to one, and the reaction was rather priceless. He'd have to mark this day on a calendar! Well... whenever he got a calendar. Currently, he was living with his friend Haala, and she was rather picky about him touching her things. He had given up trying to charm her years ago, especially after she broke his nose with a single punch.

"Hmm..." He was a little surprised now. Did she ask him for a drink? A grin came to his face before he sighed. "I would love to, really, but I have to get home. Long day and I have an early shift tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon though I can..." He pulled out his cellphone from his pocket, an old Blackberry that was probably ten years old. "What's your number?" Just because he didn't have time today didn't mean he couldn't make time tomorrow.

"Hey!" The girl looked up, a frown behind her glasses as she quickly stepped out of the way, almost bumped into by a tall stranger. "Watch out, please, you almost knocked me over." She sighed, shaking her head. "Well, perhaps it was my fault as well." She had been rather distracted, or rather annoyed by her sister's recent text message. As if she didn't have enough work already.​

Adelines blush did not fade in the slightest, hardly able to believe she had asked him at all and even more surprised now that she found herself giving up her number to a total stranger! What on earth was she he thinking!? "Uhm...I uh... my schedule is kind of strange so... um...just leave a message and I'll call back" she stumbled over her words again, feeling like she must sound like an idiot. "The dragon lady keeps me busy..." she explained, glancing over just as the door to the shop came open again and said dragon lady emerged.

The tall man paused and looked at her blankly for a second, looking her up and down. "Sorry miss, guess I was too preoccupied" he easily apologized to the woman. He had to admit, she was attractive, even with the glasses. Shaking that thought from his mind "you aren't put here alone are you? A little late to be walking around alone" he noted.

• Thank You
"Mine is pretty normal," Al replied with a grin, stashing his phone away once he had her number all nice and secure in his contacts. "Nine to five except on the weekends. I work extra hours, y'know." He didn't need to, but he had nothing better to do and jumped at the chance of making more money.

"So... Dragon lady huh?" He raised an eyebrow as he looked from Adeline to the lady inside. That would explain the odd eyes and the unnatural beauty. "You mean she's really a dragon?" It wasn't impossible, not here in Creeker's Tale, but he'd never actually met one himself. "So... You really from here or... y'know? Hint hint?"

The young lady peered at the man, eyes narrowing a little as she tried to place him. She then smirked, shaking her head. "I've walked alone plenty of times," she told him with a slight shrug. "Don't worry, I can take care of myself." And others, she thought with a sigh.

"Are you a cop or something?" she asked curiously, wondering why he would worry. She didn't seem like the type to get in trouble. Maybe she seemed the helpless sort. She rather hoped not. She had always been an independent sort, taking care of herself, with no need of a man.​

Adeline quickly realized her mistake. Mal hated when others like them found out what and who she was. By the way this man was talking, he knew and was likely one of them. She had no time to answer as he boss had come back outside in the middle of their conversation.

"Where's my cab?" She demanded of Adeline, shoving another bag into her hands.

On the way ma'am"Adeline answered quickly.

Mal turned her purple eyes on Al now, sizing him up "what are you staring at boy" she snapped.

The big man smirked slightly and nodded "I am, today is my off day though" that explained why no uniform and also why he seemed concerned for her safety. "I'm sure you can take care of yourself, you seem the sort, just be careful is all" he shrugged, he did try to be nice to people, even if it wasn't exactly his nature. He'd learned the ways of humans over the years

"You obviously," Al quipped, giving the beautiful lady a cheeky grin. The dimple on his face was rather prominent, almost as if were mocking her. "Don't tell me you haven't had anyone look at you before, Madame. Your beauty can be compared to that of Sheherezade, no, it exceeds that of her." He was simply being charming. He had never met Sheherezade; it wasn't as if a street rat like he would have had the honour to even glimpse the Sultan Shahriyar's wife. Still, a compliment was a compliment, no?

He looked in Adeline's direction, giving her a wink. "Well, looks like it's my time to skedaddle." He gave a small bow; whether it was sincere or mocking was for the two to figure out. As he stood up, he looked in the distance. "Ah..." His face had a sheepish look. "Well, farewell!"

With a wave, he broke away from the two ladies, heading further down the street, his grin now an unsure smile as he stopped near a woman. "Hey, Haala!"

lmazywiov7a8iwva.jpg

She raised her eyebrow before shaking her head. "I've been waiting how long? Next time I'm leaving without you. Come on."

"Alright, don't be grumpy." Al huffed as he followed her to an old rusty Toyota Corolla. "Hey, those ladies needed a ride-"

"A ride I'm not giving. You want in or..."

"Alright, alright!" That said, or rather whined, Al sat down in the passenger seat as the one named Haala headed to the driver's side. It wasn't long before the car zoomed off, right past a certain tall man and young woman.

"I'm careful," she assured him, though not before frowning at the car. People who drove rashly needed to get off the streets ASAP in her opinion. She was tempted to send out some black ice, just to teach a lesson...

Even as she stood still, a cold chill seemed to rise around the two.​

Mathias smirked slightly, though noticed the chill at once, which made him re-evaluate her scent. There was something different for sure, the tangy small of magic was certainly on her, masked with regular street smell and coffee.

"Ah well, see you around then" He said, deciding g it best to take his leave. He wasn't always popular among other fables. He had a bad reputation.

"See you." The young woman known as Ellie, or Elsa by those who knew her well, was a little surprised by his sudden dismissal. Well, at least it had broken her out of her thoughts. The chill disappeared as she was no longer channeling her... icy powers. Instead, she started walking onward. The message she had received from her sister Anna wasn't exactly a happy one. Once again she had broken up with her boyfriend and needed a place to stay. She was tempted to simply tell her no, but what kind of a sister would she be then?

She shook her head, sighing. It hadn't been like this in the old days. Perhaps it was her own fault for not being around when her little sister needed her the most. Either way, she had a situation she had to deal with, one that ice wouldn't help.
It took ten minutes for Al and Haala to reach home, during which time he had regaled her about his day, including his meeting with the two beautiful ladies. Haala had rolled her eyes, though she did pay attention when he mentioned one thing.

"Dragon lady?" She turned to look at Al, raising an eyebrow. "Hm..." She didn't read much into the others here, but a dragon lady sounded dangerous. "I don't think you should be sticking your neb around there." She reached out with a finger and flicked his nose.

"Awh, c'mon Haala," he grumbled as he shook his head. "Nothing's going to happen. Besides, I already have a date with the golden haired one-"

"Seriously, Al?" Haala rolled her eyes once more before exiting the car. "You're not bringing her back here, that's for sure. You know what Max thinks about you bringing girls over."

"That kitty cat is too proper," the former street rat replied with a shrug before he too exited the car.​

It wasn't long after Al took his leave that the cabby pulled up "Come on get the bags in the trunk" Mal snapped impatiently at the blond. Adeline obliged easily enough, loading the bogs and eve a couple of boxes into the trunk. It had been a long day of shopping. "Who was that repulsive boy you were talking to?" Mal asked idly, standing beside the car and watching the other woman.

"Nobody, he just stopped to chat with me" she answered, blowing it off as nothing. Mal liked to pry into her personal life too much so she tried not to give the woman anything to pry into.

"Well, I forbid you to see him, he's a scoundrel" Mal stated, slipping in to the cab now that the bags were loaded.

"You can't forbid me" Adeline answered.

"I won't have my assistant fraternizing with the likes of him, particularly one who insults me" she began to close the door.

"Mal, my check, it's payday" Adeline said quickly, grabbing the door to stop her from closing it.

"That was before you spoke to that boy, I have very good hearing" Mal said ans smirked slightly.

"I have to pay my rent Mal, I'll be evicted" Adeline said with a bit too much desperation.

"Not my problem, see you Monday" Mal answered and jerked the door shut. Adeline could only stare as the cab drove off.

Letting out a sigh and chest fallen Adeline began to walk home, she could only hope her landlord would give her another extension to pay her rent.

---

It was well after midnight before Adeline finally got home, feet sore and chilled from the night air. An eviction notice was already taped to her door. Going inside the tiny apartment, the lights wouldn't turn on, so her power had been shut off again. Yet another late electric bill, with any luck the water and gas would still be working, if not, she was in for a cold weekend, it already felt as cold as it was outside, so she wasn't hopeful. "It's going to be ok Adeline...." she told herself, closing the door and stepping inside the dark apartment.

Adeline purposefully left a flashlight by the door, flicking it on now she navigated to the kitchen and found a slice of left over pizza in her nearly empty fridge.

Bundling up on the couch with her cold pizza, flashlight and a glass of wine Adeline settled in or a long weekend. With no power, no money, no nothing really, besides her phone which would die anyway if not charged soon, it was going to be rough and lonely.

--

The cop went on down the street a ways before turning down an ally and down a short flight of stairs to a basement apartment tucked away out of sight. He liked his privacy, plus rent was cheap and it felt more like a den, a safe haven.

The place was a modest studio apartment, there was a bed but it looked mostly unused. The plush rug in front of the fireplace however looked a bit warn down and full of little black hairs, more black than the original blue it had started out.

By the time it was midnight, Ellie was already asleep, having become exhausted after her meeting with her sister and subsequently allocating her the couch. She wasn't about to give up her bed as well as a good night's sleep for Anna, especially when she had work the next day. Anna was both a student as well as a part-time librarian. She worked hard, even though there was no reason for her to. While she could have probably bought the biggest mansion in the city, she chose not to. She didn't wish to be known. Here, she was no longer Queen Elsa. She was simply Ellie, the hardworking girl next door with dorky glasses.

Al too had gone to sleep not one hour after having reached home. He had work in the morning, and his boss wasn't charmed by any of his excuses. Tardiness was not allowed, and Al learned this quite well the day he was given his paycheck with less money than he had expected. Thank goodness he had Haala around to pay the rent!

Speaking of whom...

Haala wasn't home. She was never really a day person, as it were. Most of her nights were spent awake and out of the house. No one would recognize her, however, unless it was by scent. She dressed in complete black, except for one red hood. Once upon a time, she was known as Little Red Riding hood, the one who was stalked in a forest by the Big Bad Wolf.

She smirked as she leaned against the wall that made up an alleyway, eyes and ears listening for any creature of the night. She wondered where he might be, the werewolf, and what name he was using for himself down here. If she found him, what would she do? She wasn't helpless anymore, in need of a man with an ax. No, she had her own assortment of blades-

"Help!" Her head jerked in the direction of a sudden call for aid. "H-hel-" The call was interrupted by a scream, and then there was silence. By the time Haala rushed out of the alleyway, hood covering most of her face, whoever the assailant was had vanished. All she could make out on the sidewalk was a woman with a ripped out throat, blood pooling out as she gasped dying breaths.

"S**t!" Haala cussed under her breath, eyes darting here and there. Was there a vampire here that she didn't know of?​

As it happened, the cry for help aroused the huge black wolf curled up on his rug in front of the fire.

He was on his feet in an instant, he started for the door, then remembered and put his glamour back up, now standing, bare foot, shirtless, but at least still had pants on.

He grabbed his gun belt from the hook by the door and ran outside.

The distinct smell of blood drew him in. He picked up on a certain familiar scent as well but couldn't place it right away, it had been some time since he'd smelled that.

Mathias rounded the corner to the ally. Drawing his gin, ready to take down an asailant. What he found, was Haala beside the body, and the scent suddenly made sense, red riding hood. Fantastic.

• Bucket of Rainbows
There was nothing Haala could do for the woman, not with the blood leaving her body so quickly. Her frown deepened when she heard footsteps. Immediately she turned around, two blades in her hand, ready to attack anyone with bad intentions. She stopped, however, when she saw the tall messy looking fellow. Something was familiar, but she couldn't quite place him. Had she seen him before?

Her eyes narrowed, looking for sights of blood on him. He was grinning- why? She couldn't see any red on him, so did that bar him off as a suspect?

Then she saw his gun, and suddenly she realized. Oh s**t, he must be a copper. "You came a li'l too late," she muttered, putting her blades away before yanking her hood low. The last thing she needed was a cop to come after her. Creeker's Tale new of her as Red Riding Hood, not Haala, and she wanted to keep it that way.

"She's already dead." With her luck, he'd probably think she was the culprit, however. Best to leave now. "See ya." Without waiting for a response, she turned, ready to head out.​

(He's not grinning lol, that'd be creepy though XD)

Mathias' eyes narrowed slighrly. She wasn't acting guilty and her blades were clean. He noted that much rather quickly. Aside from that, if he acted rash and tried to arrest her right then, she'd probably run. He knew she was quick and he just didn't feel like chasing her down.

"Hang in there little red" he spoke calmly and holstered his gun, pulling the radio from his belt instead.

"You're a witness now, I'll need you're cooperation" he calmly informed her "you'll need to be questioned while it's still fresh in your mind. Run and you'll be my top suspect, wanted for murder" he added as an extra warning. He'd leave the choice to her. If she was smart, she'd stick around. If not, well, it would be a kitty hunt and more paperwork.

(Lol you typo'd and then I misread gin as grin. XD I'll edit it... eventually ;D)

Haala's eyes narrowed as well, and her nose twitched. There was something familiar about him, and it wasn't really in the good way. Who was he? It was almost as if she had met him before. Little Red? Hm... Well she was known as that, so that wasn't all too suspicious.

"I just came across it, man," she replied, not sounding too pleased with the prospect of being taken to a police station. "And seriously? You're gonna claim I'm a suspect? Buddy, I help clean up these streets!" She crossed her arms under her red cloak, frowning. "You wanna question me, do it somewhere that's not the station. Otherwise, I am not coming."

During this time, she had continued trying to recognize his scent. She was, after all, not as human as she might seem. As it turned out, she did recognize him, and she was even more unpleased now. "So... Big Bad Wolf, huh? What name d'you go by now? You know, you're more known for ripping throats than I am."​

Mathias growled slightly at her last comment, pulling a radio from the belt he'd grabbed on his way out. Thinking he would probably need to call whatever was going on in to the station.

"Maybe I was known for that, can't blame a hungry wolf defending his territory" he said, not taking his eyes off of her. "I'll play nice, I won't take you in, but I need your full name and contact information" Normally he'd arrest a suspect on the spot. In fact, he'd probably get in trouble letting her go at all but that was better than having to sit in a car with her all the way to the station and then having to endure questioning her there in front of all the other officers. dumping that on someone else sounded better to him.