Experiments Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kain's muscles were tense and he was ready to strike at anything else willing to reach toward Jami. No one else tried, but he didn't relax. His glare stayed trained on everyone, watching their movements. Michael and Summer were sent away, but that didn't dispel the feelings in the air. He listened to everything Jewel said, and he even caught her whispered words. They were... together in a strange connection, but symbiotic sounded... complicated to him. It sounded like something Dr. Naris would say to him. But Jewel was right. Kain and Jami, after their little discussion, were willing to defend the other from anything they perceived as a threat. Her father, however, still seemed to be worried about her. "...Jaciv geou qe tokeq mrith ve," he said, even though no one would understand him except for Jami. Kain wasn't the safest looking person, but he knew Jami could defend herself.

They were requested to stay for dinner, and while Jami agreed, Kain wasn't good with that answer. He was glad to be rid of the walls confining him, but Jami needed to eat. He did as well, but he could smell the food. It was cooked, and he didn't like it. They went into the kitchen, but he didn't touch a single piece of food. He opted to stand and look out the window at the dwindling light, absolutely silent while he studied the outside world where he wished he could be. His arms were crossed, but he could feel the cool pendant on his chest. He didn't understand why he'd accepted her gift, but it had. It seemed to have a different effect on him. No one had given him a gift in a long time, but Jami had given him something that was in his likeness.

It was... strange.

He heard Jami's family cleaning up from dinner, but he didn't take a step away from the window. He was watching everything all at once. The cars passing the house or the sunlight disappearing or people walking their dogs. He figured the animals could smell him because they balked and snarled when they passed, much to the annoyance of their owners. Maybe it was Jami's wolfish scent scaring them away. He sighed, grey smoke wafting from his nose, but he blew it away. He didn't think Jami's family would want him to burn the house down.

The food didn't really...sit all that well with Jami, but she ate politely. She answered most questions posed to her by her family, but as the night wore on, her restlessness grew. The house was becoming too stifling, the noise too much, the smells...she longed for the wind and the whispers of trees. She wanted to run and howl and hunt. She felt like one of those dogs that passed; confined, leashed and at the thought, Jami growled.

It, unfortunately, happened to be at the same time her father had asked her some question she'd not even been listening to and the man stopped, looking at her warily. Jami blinked, not sure if she should apologize or not and her mother seemed to understand as the older woman looked between her daughter and Kain. It was time. She smiled gently. "It's all right, Jami. Thank you for coming to us."

Noah looked momentarily puzzled as mother and daughter smiled at each other, but then he seemed to realize that this was goodbye and the man looked stricken for a moment before he seemed to unhappily accept the reality of the situation. He approached his daughter then and Jami was happy to let him, meeting him halfway and hugging her father tightly. "I will miss you."

The man sighed, kissing the top of her head. "Be safe, kiddo." When Jami pulled away to go to Summer, Noah looked toward Kain and after a moment, seemed to work up the will to speak. "I'm trusting you to watch out for her." He nodded then and cleared his throat a bit nervously before turning away, but while he and Kain would probably never be friends, at least Noah had made some sort of attempt at accepting the dragon-hybrid...awkward as it was.

Jami's goodbye to her sister was happy and simple, teasing and light, but when it came to Michael....the two looked at each other for a long moment, a great deal of history between them in just the last two days, but after some time they embraced anyway, far more history before that meaning they didn't have to like each other right now to still love each other. The last person to say goodbye to was Jewel and the others just sort of migrated away, knowing to leave mother and daughter to themselves.

Jewel had tears in her eyes when she finally released Jami, their whispered words heartfelt and only between them. When Jami moved to the garage door, the mother turned her attention to Kain and this time she didn't hug him, but she did take his clawed hand firmly, but gently in her own, blue eyes meeting gold warmly. "You take good care of my girl and good care of yourself. I want to see you BOTH again in one piece."

She squeezed hand gently before letting go. "Be safe."

Jewel finally stepped back then and Jami smiled at Kain, jerking her head in an indication that it was time to go. She grinned devilishly at her mother then. "Oh, do tell Michael I'm taking his truck. I'll pay him back later." She disappeared into the garage then, intending to leave the same way they'd come in and Jewel laughed after her daughter in a fond way.

Kain watched, but he didn't say anything to anyone. He wasn't approached, as they were all concerned for Jami. He watched them all embrace her before leaving so her mother could send her daughter off for the last time.

He could take care of himself, but... he had Jami to care for him, because no one else would. Who wanted to care for a monster? His ears flicked down at the thought, but then he felt a presence near him. Jewel was standing beside him, and she took his claws in her hand. Her hands were so... small, compared to his. His were rough and bloodstained, puncture scars lining his palm and the back as well. She didn't care about any of that as she looked up at him and made sure to tell him to take care of both himself and Jami. He dipped his head in affirmation, but he didn't speak because she'd squeezed his hand. He could have crushed her bones with his grip, so he didn't return the gesture.

He looked up at Jami and she motioned for them to leave. Kain went toward the garage, but he heard the laughs follow after Jami mentioned taking the truck. Kain came after her before he opened the door to the cab of the truck. He didn't want to sit in the back again. He needed to see the outside. "...Where will we go now?" He would have preferred somewhere with a population of zero, but Jami was the one who knew how to drive and she would be deciding the route.

Jami shifted the truck into gear and backed out of the driveway, getting started on the road before speaking and when she answered, it was with a half-shrug. "Wherever the road takes us as this point, I would imagine. It's not like I have this planned out. I can't think of one place besides the circus where someone who looks like you do wouldn't stand out and I can think of a lot of places where someone who looks like me wouldn't be allowed. At this rate, I think we just have to...keep our eyes open for somewhere safe."

It wasn't the most satisfying of answers, but it was the truth and they had driven out of Klamath Falls and taken a back road that Jami didn't even recognize before she spoke again. "I was thinking of maybe renting a cabin or something. That way we'd be around nature, free to be ourselves, but if we needed something or...I don't know, we'd be close to a city. At least until we adapt better and can make sure Greenwater doesn't know where we are."

She'd hate to get established somewhere, only to have to run again. Home was only home when you got to stay there.

He nodded, but his eyes were on the outside, even if it was dark. He could see much more than the normal person, but nothing seemed interesting to him. Still, his eyes were drawn to the fast moving objects around him. He was silent until she spoke again, but they were far from her home. She wanted to get a cabin? That required money, something they didn't have a lot of. "We don't have... money," he said, though his voice was quiet. It sounded so... normal. Like he had a choice in where they wanted to stay.

He didn't want to be close to a city, because that meant it was more likely to someone to find them, but he knew Jami would need the sense of civilization. She had a point, so he only nodded again. She was more knowledgeable about the world around them. He still had to learn everything.

His head leaned back against the seat and his eyes closed. It was the first time he'd torn his eyes away from the window since they'd started driving. He growled, but it wasn't malicious. He was trying to sleep, but he'd never slept in a moving vehicle before. He'd never had trouble sleeping, but his eyelids twitched before he snapped the seat belt open and turned on his side with his back to the window. His wings and tail kept getting in the way of his legs and back, but he was doing his best.

"Vinxa." His word was gentle as his hands curled around his propped leg.

Jami smiled softly, glancing at him before having to look back at the road again and a soft growl sounded in her chest, a happy sound though before she spoke just as gently as he had. "Wux tiliw vihaga persvek wer spical sjek wux tuor. Mobi ui throdenilt cuaili. Si ornla rocen wux svadrav yth pok."

When the dragon-hybrid agreed with her, she stopped the truck and ever looking around, they both got out. Jami opened the back of the truck-bed and let Kain climb in, giving him a smile before she rolled the door closed again and latched it. She couldn't have it rolling up unexpectedly at a stop-light or something and exposing him. Jami moved to the cab of the truck then and climbed in the back. She frowned at the glass that separated her from the truck itself and simply drew her hand back and punched through it. Glass shattered and reached through the small space between the cab and the truck to start cutting through the metal and then the insulation until she had a decent sized hole. Kain had probably heard her before, but now he could most likely see bits of her as she widened the breach a little until her face could be seen.

"There. Now if need something, I can hear you."

She said nothing more, climbing out of the back, shutting the door and ignoring the glass before she got in the front and started the truck again. It was going to be a long drive...

------------

Morning saw Jami exhausted as they entered Portland. Out of all the cities she could have chosen, this one would probably be the safest just because the people here were so very strange in their own right and depending on the parts of the city the visited, Jami wouldn't stand out too much. And right now that was good because there were things she had to get for both her and Kain.

She yawned as she drove through the city and half in attempt to keep herself awake and half to let Kain know what was going on, she started talking, knowing he could hear her even if he had to stay in the back because of how many people and cars they were passing. Besides, at a rest stop he'd been allowed to stretch his wings and fly about. It wasn't like he'd been back there all night without reprieve.

"This is Portland. It's a really large city and kinda...strange in it's own right. Do you want me to find a hotel or...do you want to stay in the truck when I leave? We need some things from the store."

Kain nodded and let her stop before he jumped out. The cars were going too fast beside them to really notice the massive dragon hybrid hopping into the back and letting Jami latch it closed. There was nothing in the back, since Jami had her bag up front. Kain just curled up on his side, his chin on his hands. His eyes closed again before a loud 'crack!' shattered the silence and and the tearing of the back of the truck started. Kain picked some the insulation out of the way, finding it stuck to his claws. It was a small hole, but he ripped it open much wider with both of his hands. He nodded at her words before he resumed his previous position and fell asleep. Soft growls were drowned out by the motor, but Kain finally got the rest he needed. Jami and her family had worn him out far more than he had anticipated.

The rest of the ride to Portland was uneventful. Jami had a stop for both of them so she could stretch and he could fly. He always took in their surroundings, never stopping the search for Greenwater. They had the disadvantage of not knowing every scientist Greenwater's employ. If someone found them, they could alert the facility at any time. He hated thinking about that. He wouldn't go back there, not willingly. They had ways to force him back, ways that were even worse to think about.

The morning found Kain sleeping yet again in the back, but his head lifted as he heard Jami speaking. Her voice was easy to detect from all the noise outside, but he stood up anyway. If he stood the right way, his wings stretched from one corner to the other so he could stretch without breaking anything. Jami mentioned staying or sitting, but he shook his head. Remembering that she couldn't see, he said, "...Here." He didn't want to see so many people at once. He was just getting used to having one around.

Jami nodded, realized the same thing Kain had and spoke up. "All right. Then I will find somewhere to park and then...I'll be gone for a little while." She actually didn't much like that the thought of that, but the blond knew it was necessary and she started to look for a place to take the truck while at the same time keeping a lookout for the stores she needed. Upon finding a mostly neglected parking lot, the female hybrid parked near the bushes and trees in the 'island' and then looked back through the hole, smiling a little even if she felt incredibly nervous.

"Be back soon."

With that Jami got out of the truck and locked the doors, putting the keys in her pocket before she headed out in the last direction she'd seen the store. She kept her head ducked at first, trying to avoid any stares or interest, but as she continued walking, Jami realized that no one cared about her. No one cared about her markings - assuming they were just some freakish tattoos - and no one was really paying any kind of serious attention to her to notice anything else odd like her ears.

They just didn't care and the hybrid started to relax a little, gaining a little more confidence as she neared her destination and went inside. It was a clothing store and Jami set about with shopping for a dragon-hybrid. It wasn't going to be easy...

Kain settled in the back just like he always did, noticing that the noise had gotten quieter. He was really alone this time, because Jami was gone. He planned on going back to sleep, and so he did. It was only about a half hour passing before he felt something... change. The air was different and almost aggressive, but not in a bad way. He didn't know how to place it, but he felt the need to... leave. He never felt that way.

He growled, but there was nothing there. Was he hallucinating? He hadn't eaten or drank anything out of the ordinary... or anything at all really. Kain jumped up and peered out the window through the hole in the back, but the place Jami had parked was empty. Snarling at himself, Kain sat back down and curled his tail around his ankles. He glared at the door trapping him inside, and a few more minutes of silence passed. The oppressive force in the air only grew stronger, and something finally happened.

Someone unlatched the door and managed to shove it open. "I found you!" Standing before him was a girl about his age, but she was small and short. She had a pixie blond haircut and she simply stood there in her five foot glory, watching him. Kain stood up to his full height and spread his wings, growling. However, she was unfazed, just like Jami. He tried a different tactic by jumping and snarling right into her face. Her hair blew back, but she stood her ground.

"Who are you?!" he roared at her. "I'm Tanya, and you're... different! What happens if I do... this?" Her tiny hand attempted to wrap around his arm, but her touch burned him. Kain wasn't easily burned by anything, but she hurt. Snapping at her in pain, he kicked away from her and hit the back of the truck. However, something else began to happen, something that hurt far worse than Tanya's hand on his arm. He was changing again. He was wide-eyed as he watched his hands snap and the claws shed away to reveal real fingernails and tanned hands. He roared as the horns on his head slid back into his skin before his head was a normal shape again. The tail followed the same process, and his teeth morphed back into the omnivorous teeth humans had.

His wings hurt the most. They shrank and bones cracked as they did so. The pain sent him to his new hands and knees, muscles tensing and causing spasms before they were gone. Panting, Kain pushed himself back onto his feet, looking over his body. The scales had turned tan and smoothed out, so he had normal skin again. There was no trace of the dragon he'd become.

"What... what have you done?" he said, but the growl was missing from his voice. His tone was just deep now. "I changed you back! Isn't that what you wanted?" Tanya seemed confused. "How do you know what I want?" he roared at her, and yet, he didn't sound as menacing when he didn't have the gruff undertone.

"Because you're my opposite! You're like... I dunno. Different, like I said. And you were all messed up! I fixed you!" she beamed at him. She... fixed him. That was what Jami was supposed to do.

Kain didn't know how the other female hybrid would react, but he had a feeling she didn't know who this Tanya girl was. "Why are you all alone in the back of this truck?"

"...I'm not alone."

"Oh... well, maybe he'll come back soon! And he can see the real you again! I'll stay here with you!" Tanya plopped herself down inside the back of the truck, watching as he shrank up against the corner. He couldn't go and find Jami because he didn't know where she was, and her scent was weak with his human nose. He was already beginning to hate this.

Jami's shopping trip had started with a clothing store, had migrated to a craft store and finally ended at a grocery store and she was glad for super-ish strength as she carried the bags back to where she'd parked the truck. At first she was too distracted to notice the difference in the air, in the scents around the vehicle as she put the stuff she'd gotten in the backseat of the cab, but when she shut the door, Jami felt a frown come to her face as her senses registered something her conscious mind had not.

A new scent...that was still here and the...lack of a scent...sort of.

Now thoroughly confused, she followed the new smell to the back of the truck and then promptly growled upon seeing the girl there. What the hell- All thought halted as Jami's eyes found Kain...or who she thought was Kain. He was tanned and still extremely tall, the black hair still the same and his eyes were gold....but everything else, even his scent, was different and Jami found herself instantly feeling lost. The werewolf inside her wanted to howl in an intense longing and grief she didn't understand and the blond eventually tore her eyes away from the very NORMAL looking Kain and to the pixie-styled girl.

Her green eyes narrowed, instantly hostile as every sense in her body told her this person was the reason for her sudden disoriented state. Jami's voice was a dangerous hiss.

"What did you do to him?"

"You're his friend? Oh... well, he's normal again! You didn't want that either? Why doesn't anyone want that?" Tanya whined, and while Kain had lost his advanced hearing, her voice still made him cringe. "I fixed him! I helped... what's your name?" she asked, jumping up and whirling to look at Kain.

"...Kain."

"Oh, come on. I mean your real name. That's not a real name."

"I don't have one!" The snap he made at her wasn't all that menacing, but it was loud. His hand gripped the wall so he could stumble upright, and he ended up stretching the metal lining of the back. So, he was still strong, but Kain the dragon would have torn it right off. He'd lost... everything.

Kain stepped down from the truck, unable to meet Jami's gaze for a moment. "Si tir ti vucot svanoa jaciv thirkua ve... si tir ti siofme coi ui malrak. coi zklaen sulta, shar vucoti ti svadrav." He'd retained the ability to speak the dragon language, and his voice was still fluid and smooth. It seemed almost easier without the growl in his voice or the razor sharp teeth blocking his mouth.

Tanya gasped in wonder as he spoke. "What is that? Some kinda secret language?"

"Quiet!" he growled before he managed to look Jami in the eye.

He didn't get another word out as Tanya spoke again. "If you're his friend, are you different too?" To confirm, without Jami's consent, it seemed, Tanya hopped out the truck and dashed to her, doing the same thing to Jami as she'd done to Kain. However, nothing changed in Jami and Tanya pouted. "You're different... but you're not like him. What are you?"

Jami was, for lack of a better word, pissed. She watched the pixie-girl with barely contained anger and tried her best not to scream, her claws out, but her fists balled, drawing blood as she attempted to breathe evenly. She didn't necessarily understand why she was this enraged by the other female's presence and what she'd done, but Jami was in no mood to question and analyse right now, either and so she just let the emotions roll over her without protest and if her instincts wanted to tell her to rip the girl's mouth off, she wasn't going to stop them.

Though, she also wasn't going to act on it. Damn her conscience.

When Kain exited and spoke to her, she merely nodded at him and she ignored the girl for a precious moment to look back at the male, showing clearly that she held no anger for HIM as her green eyes softened a little before snapping back to the other female. At being touched, Jami leaped back, snarling horribly on principle alone and she found her patience had reached its end as she spoke, voice scathing.

"None of your business! Perhaps if you'd been more polite about it, I might have told you, but you can dream on now. And his name IS real even if it's not up to your standards so bug off." She stepped forward again, fangs bared, more blood leaking from her palms as her claws dug into her skin and Jami's ears grew a little beyond her control, sprouting gray fur and flattening to her head as she bristled. "And you didn't fix him. There was nothing to fix! He was perfect the way he was and I am willing to bet anything you didn't even ask him if HE wanted to be changed!"

In time, Jami would see the usefulness in Kain being normal-looking, but right now she was simply reeling and lashing out. She was happy to do so, too.

"I did so! Look at him, you dog! He's normal again! I could change you back, but you're not like him, but I'm sure we could find someone for you too." Tanya seemed hurt, but she took up a defensive stance, even if Kain could have knocked her on her feet with one swipe.

"Ifpesp vhira." Of all the things Kain could have said, he chose to say that. He was sure Jami would have just loved to tell him that, but this girl had answers, unlike Greenwater when he got angry at them. Just to reinforce his words, he pushed one hand in front of her and under her claws. If she tensed again, it was on his arm and not her palms. Her comment about his being perfect the way he was was not lost on him. He didn't really have a chance to think about it, but he wanted to ask her what prompted her to use such a word, even if she was angry.

"...Why did you change me back?" he asked, forcing himself not to roar at her again.

"Well, you were all messed up. However you got that way, it wasn't normal, so I made it better again!" She seemed naive, despite being as old as both Jami and Kain. However much Kain wanted to deny her words, there was truth. His transformation into a dragon hadn't been normal, but it didn't mean it was better.

"...What are you that you changed me back, with no damage to yourself?"

Tanya had to quiet herself and think about the answer, something Kain was grateful for. "Um... well... I dunno. My Nana always said that we were special, that we came down from something people thought weren't real, and that, one day, I would change someone! And that's what I did for you! I fixed you, Kain! You're better now!" She really did feel like she'd done Kain a service by changing him into a human again.

Kain took a deep breath and shook his head. "I don't want to be this way anymore. I want you to change me back."

Tanya faltered there. "Oh... well... I don't think I can do that."

Now it was Kain's turn to get angry. Growling, he snapped in an irritated tone, "Why not?" Tanya reinforced her defensive stance before replying, "I haven't ever changed anyone before. I think it's supposed to last forever, but...." She sighed, shaking her head. "We could go ask my Nana. I think she would know." Kain straightened up and looked down at Jami. He appeared to be a normal person, outside of his freakishly tall height and strange colored eyes. He could walk freely for the time being. "Tir wux jikahshi yth jalla ocuir nomeno aesthyr? jaciv nomag vucot creolnali yth tir ti," he said, glancing as Tanya smiled and nearly squealed as he spoke. She was overly fascinated with the way he was talking.

She was not a dog!

Jami felt her temper rising to new heights when Kain spoke and she glared at him in complete anger and disbelief - probably a lot like he would have looked at her had she told him to cool it back at Greenwater. She didn't care if the reasons were different but when Kain pushed the issue by getting involved physically, she relented, not wanting to hurt him and finding that she couldn't bring herself to even accidentally do so, not when he was like this. There were no scales to protect from her claws and she had no idea if he'd heal faster now in this state.

So Jami forced herself to listen to the irritating pixie-girl and when the male looked to her again, she was much....not calmer, but tolerant, and the blond sighed and shut her eyes for a moment, chewing on the tip of her tongue for a moment before she finally answered. "Fronah vucot throdenilt loupon yth tir coi vorqic hefoc."

She growled and then sighed again, moving to shut the truck door and pretty much forcing Tanya to get out or be trapped. She didn't care which it as at this point. "Winhal, origato udoka gethrisj ocuir wer aesthyr, shar sjek jaciv shilta ti tir tivol, si mi gethrisjir ekess ouith batobot braneir... youwe." The blond glared over at the other female then before ignoring her entirely and going to the driver side of the cab and climbing in.

She was the farthest thing from happy at the moment and wasn't going to fake that she was not upset.

Tanya jumped out and moved to scramble into the cab of the truck, though she was perched next to the gaping hole dragon-Kain had left. Kain now... his strength would have failed him in such a feat. He felt odd walking around with no sharpened claws on his feet or the patches of scales protecting his skin. The one thing he had retained was the varying amounts of scars littered all over his chest, arms, and legs. It was easy to see where they'd cut him after not being able to break though the scales, because there were plain patches all around of skin where there was not a single mark.

As Kain moved to sit in the front, he had one last thing to check. He took a deep breath and blew out, expecting to feel fire rise up his throat and be unleashed upon the nothingness in front of him. However, there was nary a whiff of smoke from him. The low, constant burning feeling in his stomach was gone. He couldn't breathe fire anymore.

Defeated, almost, Kain slipped inside, and he listened in silence as Tanya directed Jami to her Nana's house. She seemed to sense that Jami was still seething, and so she kept her chatter only down to the directions. The house she had Jami drive to was small. It seemed everything about Tanya was small except her capacity to talk. In fact, she was the first one to jump out, doing so by sliding through the passenger seat and over Kain. He growled at her presence, but she was gone as quick as she came. He sighed and looked at Jami.

"Nomagqe yth geou ehtah creolnali tenpiswo. si... tir ti huven ekess nakta nomeno adon. coi ui... winirlet," he said in his new, smoother voice. He jumped out of the truck, wincing as his weak feet hit the ground too hard. He hated feeling pain, because he wasn't used to it.

He saw that Tanya had left the door open, but Kain had to duck his head and keep it like that in the small living space. He heard Tanya excitedly telling someone the story, not pausing for a minute. Kain followed her voice until he came upon an old woman. Wrinkles had lowered her eyelids and drooped her face, while she was kept mostly alive with the help of an oxygen tank by her side. She smiled when she saw him, sporting missing teeth. "Hello, young child," she croaked, and he was certainly young compared to her.

"...How did she change me back?" he asked, cutting straight to the point, but all he got for it was a weak laugh. She seemed to know exactly what he was talking about.

"We are descended from special beings called fairies. They are direct opposites of dragons, and they weakened each other when they lived. Tanya has turned your blood normal for some time. How did she touch you?"

"Just... on the arm."

"Then it's only temporary. A few days at most. Before you ask, we are not capable of changing you back." Kain growled at that, but he would have to deal with it. He couldn't force the change to happen. The only thing he could do was wait, which he hated doing.

Jami's ire hadn't exactly left by the time they arrived at the small house, but she was in much better control of herself and when they went inside, she remained quiet as Kain spoke to the older woman....er...fairy. She growled softly with her companion at the news that he couldn't be changed back right away, but she felt just a little calmer knowing it wasn't permanent. It wasn't that she thought less of Kain this way or thought he wasn't the same person he'd been while a dragon, but....he wasn't HIM in a way, too. She already missed the growl in his voice and the smoke that seemed to always be around him at some point or another. She missed seeing a set of bared fangs when she annoyed him and watching his wings expand in a breathtaking sight before he took off. She missed the snapping tail that could always direct her to his moods and the unique sound of his deep breathing and clawed feet on the ground.

She missed the dragon that had been in him and she felt that was all right because Kain appeared to already miss it, too.

There wasn't anything to be done about it, though, and Jami had already yelled at Tanya so the female hybrid felt the only option right now was to find out more information and frankly, finding two fair-descendants was interesting to say the least.

"So if you are fairies...does that mean there are other mythical creatures alive, too?"

"Well, not any purebreds."

The voice that came into the room was male and contained just enough of a growl that Jami's hairs stood on end and she whirled with bared fangs and a snarl building her throat. She came face to face with a pair of brown eyes verging on amber-hued, short brown hair and a pair of fangs bared back at her....but in an amused smile. A scent flooded Jami's nose then that was so familiar it took her a moment to realize the male in front of her smelled like HER and her green eyes widened, growl faltering in her throat.

The male werewolf - well, descendant anyway - moved past her, speaking as he went. "Hi, I'm Mark and to answer your question; there are what we call 'halfbreeds', though, in reality we actually aren't half anything but descendants of true halfbreeds. Which, in short, means we have little bits of Mythie blood in us and it manifests in some people." Mark was checking the older fairy's oxygen and then ruffled Tanya's hair as he straightened, brown-amber eyes focusing on Jami again and flickering to Kain.

"Your friend has an excuse for not noting my presence. You, however, do not. Be more aware."

Jami bristled, but looked away, unsure how to deal with the male. Instincts warred inside her, telling her one thing and then her mind saying another and she wasn't sure which to listen to. She wanted to challenge the other werewolf because she didn't like being corrected, but that was a very human-like reaction. The werewolf inside her was much more cautious, recognizing that the werewolf was male and therefore hesitant about challenging him until it knew more about the situation.

She didn't know what to do, so Jami did nothing.

Kain glared at the newcomer, but he said nothing. Mark gave them the answers they'd been looking for, but he smelled a little... off. He smelled like Jami, but more... powerful. Like an alpha or a leader.

...He didn't like it. He was the stronger one. But he was in no position to challenge Mark. He wasn't a dragon anymore. However, Mark had given then what they'd needed, and he'd also confirmed that Kain wouldn't be normal after a few days.

Sighing, he looked down at Jami, who was studying Mark at that time. There seemed to be an internal debate going on, but she backed down and he looked up again. Before he could get any words out, Tanya's Nana said, "There is a spare bedroom, if you don't have a place to stay. I think that would be best."

"Yeah!" Tanya said, jumping up onto Mark's back. She was like a child with the way she acted, but she was just as old as they were. It confused him. He didn't know how to feel about the offer, but he knew Jami would have an opinion.

"Tir wux siofme yth jalla zexenuma tenpiswo halkvri si thirku spical?"

Jami certainly did have an opinion, but as of right now she wasn't inclined to make a hasty decision. She wanted to. She didn't want to stay here with the pixie-girl who'd changed Kain against his wishes and a werewolf who put her on edge. She didn't want everything to change so quickly! But she couldn't make a decision based on what she WANTED. That wouldn't be wise and right now they DIDN'T have anywhere to go, no one to trust and they had no idea if they were being followed or...

The blond sighed and ran her hand back through her hair, frustrated, but she grudgingly answered Kain, actually immensely relieved that they were the only two who spoke the draconic tongue. "Si siofme coi ornla qe nao, axun."

"What language is that?" Mark asked suddenly, on arm behind him to support Tanya, looking pretty used to the smaller girl's antics and relaxed about them.

Jami raised a brow and her tone was waspish, a small smirk on her lips. "What? You don't know everything?" The sarcasm was clear, but the male werewolf only smiled as he watched her, something both amused and approving in his eyes. "I know enough to understand that YOU know a lot less than you want to admit. Have you transformed yet?"

"No. I don't want to." Jami answered, crossing her arms defensively and Mark chuckled, a growl in the sound. "We'll have to work on that."

This...was going to be an interesting stay.

Kain nodded, but he glowered at Mark as he started to ask questions. Jami's sarcasm was almost defensive, and he didn't like it. Even if Mark was going to teach Jami how to embrace her hybrid self, Kain had to avoid Tanya's touch at all times.

In fact, the small girl jumped down and dashed toward him but he took a step back, growling at her. "Don't touch me," he said, and she skid to a halt right in front of him. "I wanna show you where the room is!" she said, not bothered in the slightest of his malicious tone. He sighed, but he followed her anyway. Jami seemed busy with Mark anyway, but he didn't care for leaving her. Tanya led him down a short hall to a room all the way in the back and Kain had to duck his head in order to fit into the room. There was a queen sized bed in the corner with a door leading to a simple bathroom. There was a single table by the bed, but the mattress was soft and covered in deep blue sheets and a white blanket.

"Since you smell all weird, you can use the shower!" Tanya said, clapping her hands together, unfazed by his glare. "...Out." Despite her efforts to stay near him, she listened and slipped out the door. Running back down the hall, she bounced up beside Jami. "I think... Kain wants you." She didn't seem to like saying the name he'd been given, still determined to figure out what his real name was.

Kain stood in the room, looking down at his hands. His normal fingers ran through his matted and unkempt hair, almost missing the hard horns on his head. However, he was able to slide his shirt over everything and it had nothing to catch on. He didn't know how to feel about his new body. It was strange. His golden eyes caught the dragon pendant on his chest, and he lifted it up to look at it. Now he was nothing like the symbol of the dragon on the necklace.

Jami had looked after Kain with indecision, wanting to follow him, but Mark had stepped forward, gaining her attention - even if it was just so she could watch him warily - and by the time she looked back, the male hybrid had disappeared. The blond wasn't happy about it and she glared at the male werewolf who appeared to be completely unfazed by her. It wasn't something Jami liked in the least. From Kain, she could take it, but from this stranger... No.

"You smell like werewolf, but there's something else, too. What exactly are you, sweetheart?"

The blond bristled as Mark's eyes swept over her, studying, but she didn't get the chance to respond before Tanya was back and delivering her message. Jami felt relieved by the fact and she cast a cautious and irritated glance at Mark before leaving, not at all inclined to answer his question in the least. She followed Kain's familiar and yet lacking scent into the bedroom and quietly shut the door before turning around and leaning against it, looking everywhere before her eyes settled on Kain, on his gold gaze.

"You okay?" The question was quiet and stupid, she knew, but Jami was unsure what he'd allow from her right now, because what she WANTED to do was go over and hug him, run her fingers through his black hair soothingly and tell him everything would be all right. And well....first all, that kinda made her look at her inner self in a rather strange way - where had THAT come from? - and second, she highly doubted Kain would be pleased by it....at least, she didn't think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.