Experiments Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kain watched her pace, his gaze not unlike one he would hold while stalking prey. She was talking to herself, and that was strange to him. It was just as easy to talk to him, but she passed up the choice. He was silent until she looked up at him. "...Go." The one word was snarled lowly, but then she left and he was alone. Suddenly unsure of what to do, he reverted to his tactics when he'd been inside the facility: he climbed a tree and scratched the bark off. Unlike the trees in his former cell, these trees weren't metal underneath. They were real and alive. The gouges he left were hidden by the leaves, and he sat in near silence, concentrating on his exterior decoration.

His calming motions were interrupted as a frisbee landed near the branch he was in. Kain shifted and looked at it, poking the plastic with a claw. He heard a child's groan as they realized their toy was out of their reach. However, one got adventurous. He started to climb the tree, and Kain knew Jami wouldn't want him to be discovered, especially by a kid. The dragon hybrid shook the tree as he smacked the frisbee out of the leaves and to the ground. "C'mon, get down!" he heard the child below call. Kain was lucky as the other child dropped down and they ran off with their toy.

He huffed an irritated sigh. He'd forgotten that he absolutely despised children. He went back to his markings, noticing the light was waning. He'd flown all day; he should have been tired, but he wasn't. But he did think Jami was taking longer than he wanted, and it angered him. His tail lashed and wrapped around the tree, listening to the sounds retreating from the park. He was alone... again.

"....what the hell happened to you?!"

Jami had managed to make her way to the Fire Station without notice, having stolen a hoodie from a clothesline - something she regretted, but hey, she'd been desperate - and that hiding a lot of the blood on her as well as the marks on her skin as she'd hidden under the hood, looking down most of the way. Finding her brother had been easy and asking to talk to him alone had been easy, too. Taking off the hood and facing him....not so easy. The look of horror, shock and then confusion on her brother's face had made the blond cringe, and she felt the immediate, oddest desire to run back to Kain.

At least he didn't look at her like there was something wrong with her.

Green-hazel eyes avoided meeting the brown ones of her brother as Jami answered, her dirty blond hair hanging around her face, shielding her. This was not what she'd imagined seeing her family again would be like....even as she'd dreaded that it would be like this. "It's a really long story, Mike and....I need your help."

"I'm not doing anything until you give me some kind of explanation, Jamielle!" Michael was twenty-five, blond as Jami and had always been protective of her. They had a close relationship and the last few weeks without word from his sister had worried him terribly. To see her now, back suddenly, looking like she might be strung out, dirty, bruised, was that blood(?!) and covered in tattoos, claiming she needed help....well, he felt he had a right to know what was going on. Unfortunately for him, though, Jami was rather persistent that she not tell him yet and the hybrid shook her head, desperation in her face now when she looked up at the male.

"Please, Michael. Just trust me."

The male cracked slightly, hesitating, and Jami spoke again, quiet. "Please."

The male sighed, running his hand through his hair and finally nodding. "All right. What do you need?"

"A truck."

Michael gave her a look, his eyes scanning over her face, as if he was trying to figure out just by staring at her what had happened, where she'd been . "A truck?"

"I have a friend. He's....well, he's a lot more shocking than I am and...I just...need to get him somewhere safe. Help me?"

A sigh. "Fine."

-----------

The truck rolled to a stop outside the park five minutes to closing and Jami hurried out, telling Michael to stay and wait for her. She rushed to the last place she'd left Kain and looked up into the tree, looking around carefully before she spoke, knowing he'd hear her.

"It's safe. I've got a way to get you to my home."

Even as she spoke, though, Jami scented a familiar smell and she whirled with a barely suppressed snarl. "I told you to wait!" Dammit, why couldn't anyone ever freaking LISTEN to her!? She glared at her brother who only crossed his arms. "I'm not letting you out of my sight, Jami. Now why are you talking to a tree?"

Jami growled, turning away from him. "Oh, you'd be surprised. Kain, it's okay. This is my brother. The idiot. Just don't...eat him."

Michael's expression turned incredulous as he tilted his head, trying to see into the branches, now more than curious and Jami folded her arms, angry. Let him be shocked and flustered. He deserved it for not listening to her.

Kain heard a loud car pop and stop. There was silence and then footsteps as someone... no, two people approached. He waited until he knew it was Jami before he even thought about showing himself. The other person spoke and the voice made Kain growl with an intense maliciousness. He stopped as Jami spoke again, and that was when he came down. He jumped down, his claws scoring the ground and leaving deep marks. His wings flew open in a gust of cold wind and and his golden eyes glowed with anger. He didn't like this new person, even if he was related to Jami.

Jami had said not to eat him, but Michael smelled... smoky. Like a good piece of meat. Kain took a step toward him, but he'd promised. Still, he snarled, his jaws parting to emanate the sound, his sharp teeth still slightly red from his earlier meal. His tail lashed at the stale air, whistling as the whip-like appendage snapped around. He stood up straight and still towered over a foot when compared to her brother.

In his entirety, Kain was menacing, intimidating, and mean. He was going to stay that way, even if he would refrain from harming Jami's family.

(( If I didn't know better, I'd say Kain was feeling a slight bit possessive. ;) ))

"Holy mother of-"

Jami growled, the sound deep and warning and her brother slowly jerked his eyes to glance at her, his mouth slightly open and his attention hard to pull away from Kain as he took in the hybrid before him. His eyes moved from the wings to the tail, from the horns to the scales and the teeth, claws. To say Michael was shocked would be an understatement and he seemed to struggle for any words that weren't explosive curses.

"Wh...what IS it?"

"'It' is a HE, Michael and HE can speak for himself so why don't you direct your questions to HIM." There was definite anger, protective anger, in Jami's tone and she was clearly bristling. She was tired and hungry and scared and stressed and Kain...Kain was familiar and her friend and she'd be damned if anyone was going to treat him like a freak, ESPECIALLY someone in her family. They should know better!

Okay....that was unfair, but it was how she felt right now.

The blond sighed explosively and rubbed her forehead. "Look, let's just get in the truck, get home or a motel or something and I'll explain then. All right?"

Michael blinked at her, incredulous. "You want me to drive that--him somewhere!? He looks liked he'd much rather kill me than accept a ride, Jami! What the hell is going on?! Why do you look like that? What happened??"

Jami didn't answer. She couldn't. She didn't know what to say anymore. She didn't know where to start, HOW to start. She had known, she had, that things would not be the same. She wouldn't come home and have her family immediately accept everything, but....she'd hoped and now that hope was crumbling around her and she didn't know what to do.

Kain snapped at Michael, displeased with the man already. He was threatening to roar, but it would have been earth-shattering in volume. He took his step back for a moment, letting them argue. Finally, he grew tired of the questioning. He swept around Jami, grabbed Michael by the shirt and shoved him against a nearby tree. It wouldn't harm the man, but it would be enough to startle him.

"You will," he growled deeply in Michael's ear. They hadn't come all this way to be denied. He hadn't been shot at just so Michael could not do what they asked. He released Michael then, moving back again. He turned away and looked up at the moon through the hole he'd made earlier. He was completely silent, but everything was tense about him. He looked like he could have taken flight at any time. There was still a growl in his breathing, but Michael's small, human ears would never hear it.

He loved being feared, but this... this seemed different. He couldn't place it.

((Haha, he's learning about everything. He doesn't know how to feel. xD))

(( Still, it's cute. :P ))

Jami started at Kain's actions, but she immediately stilled her tongue of the things it wanted to snap out, deciding that no, she was going to trust Kain to do the right thing. She merely watched as he threatened her brother and it was in that moment, as Michael was released and looked toward her with disbelief and his face pale with fear, that Jami understood something very important, something she'd not expected in the least.

She might have made Kain promise to not harm her family, but that didn't mean that she wouldn't side with the dragon-hybrid above any of them.

It was a strange revelation and the blond felt a little uneasy about it considering she really didn't even know Kain and he'd threatened to kill her often and had even attempted it once, but....it was the truth of the matter and she didn't need to understand it for it to be fact.

Gah, her life was so confusing right now!

At least Michael was doing as they wanted. Her brother was cautiously leading them toward the truck and Jami stayed near Kain, looking up at him after a moment. He was struggling, she could tell that easily and it just made some fondness spring up in her to see him at least trying. As Michael opened the back of the truck, the female hybrid reached out and without hesitation she touched Kain's arm.

"Thank you." It was sincere and she immediately removed her hand after speaking the words, moving into the truck and giving Michael a look when he appeared about to protest.

"Just take us somewhere we won't be seen in the morning. If you want to just leave and pretend this is all a bad dream after that, then fine. Just don't open your mouth to anyone else."

Kain was in the back of the truck by this point and Jami reached up on her tiptoes and shut the door, rolling it down and blocking out her brother's face because right now it was too painful to see the fear there, the wariness. Maybe she deserved it, but it didn't mean she enjoyed it in the least and Jami slumped against the truck wall as the engine started and they proceeded to move.

Kain trailed after them. He almost felt bad about threatening Jami's brother, but he wasn't going to do what they wanted. Kain didn't want to go back to the facility; he hated the place. However, he wouldn't gain any trust with anyone if he kept up his current personality.

...He didn't know what was wrong with him. These things never bothered him before, and suddenly, they were invading his mind and causing him to think about things he didn't want to think about.

The thoughts made him jerk away and growl at Jami as she touched him, even if she moved her hand after only a second. He jumped into the back and refused to look at them. The engine coughed to life and they moved after a short time. The roads were smooth and the ride wasn't bouncy, but Kain didn't like it. This wasn't his home... but he couldn't remember what his home was. Jami's family wasn't his family... and he had no memory of them.

He rested his chin on his knees and gripped his legs tightly. He couldn't hurt himself if he held on too hard, and he felt no pain from any self-inflicted wounds. He wished he could, because maybe the pain would stop him from thinking.

The ride was uneventful and Jami wasn't surprised to see that Michael brought them to a motel. She'd had the faintest of hope that he might have chosen to take her home, but she'd known it was a vain hope at this point, mostly because of his scare with Kain, but she couldn't bring herself to feel angry with the dragon male for his actions. She hadn't known what to do and while Kain's methods would not always work - actually, most of the time they wouldn't - this time they'd paid off just fine and she wasn't going to change her mind about that.

Michael paid for the room they'd be staying in - one on the first level, accessible through the back entrance and at the end of the hall nearest the exit - and both Kain and Jami snuck in, the female feeling some relief at finally being somewhere that didn't constantly beg her to keep her ears open and her nose working. She flopped on the bed - there were two - and curled there, looking at her brother who had come in after her but before Kain, looking uneasy, but a bit calmer as he leaned against the table-dresser against the wall.

Jami's green-hazel eyes met his brown and he raised a questioning brow that made the blond sigh, looking away and down at the bedspread. Her fingers picked at it, searching for a way to ease into the conversation, but....she really didn't feel like staying up that long. She was tired.

"So, you know I went to Greenwater to work, right?" When Michael nodded slowly, Jami continued. "Well, turns out it's run but a bunch of real-life mad scientists who discovered real samples of mythical creature DNA. Over the past ten years or so, they've been testing this DNA with humans. Kain here is one of those tests, the first and only successful dragon." She waved lightly in his direction and then tensed a little while delivering her next line, knowing that if not for Kain's presence, his features, her brother wouldn't be believing already. As it was, he was watching her very carefully and hadn't said a word in protest.

"And I am their first elf-werewolf hybrid. And no, before you even think about, I didn't volunteer for this. We actually just recently escaped."

The silence was deafening and then Michael spoke slowly.

"So you are...a werewolf?"

"And an elf."

"And he's a dragon."

No response and Michael nodded slowly, looking between the two, appearing somewhere between overwhelmed and shocked, maybe a tad bit...accepting?

"What do you expect to happen here, Jamielle?"

Jami cringed at the use of her first name, knowing that wasn't a good sign and she shook her head, seeming to almost wilt and her voice soft. "I don't know. I just...we had no other place to go."

Kain walked with them, but it was clear the male was frightened. He smelled of fear and smoke. Kain liked it, as he was wont to do considering his rather violent upbringing. Michael moved inside, and Kain was last to enter, so he shut the door. Everything felt so... fragile, like he could snap the doorknob in half if he flicked it hard enough. At the facility, everything was engineered based on his strength. If he couldn't break it, no one could, because no other experiment had been as strong as the dragon. Everyone until Jami, and even he wasn't sure if she had the raw strength and power behind her muscles.

He was distracted from his thoughts as Michael's sharp question cut the air. They shouldn't have expected anything. They were freaks, monstrous creations who didn't belong anywhere. However, Kain didn't really want to accept that as an option. Jami wouldn't see her family, and Kain wouldn't know where to go.

Kain growled, pushing himself off the wall he was leaning on until he stood right in front of Michael. "...I'm not going back there," he snarled, glaring down at Jami's brother. "She wanted to come home, to you, first. If you don't help, we leave, and you'll never see her again." His last words were echoed by a low, rumbling roar, but Michael was right in front of him and would get the brunt of it.

Kain's words weren't something that he and Jami had discussed, since Kain didn't really do a lot of talking, but it held truth. They couldn't stay here if Michael refused to take her home and help the two hybrids.

Michael paled quickly when Kain stood and he looked white as a sheet when the dragon-hybrid was done speaking. The man was a firefighter, he knew danger and fear and courage, but Kain...Kain was something else entirely, something out of this world and if anyone knew how to deal with him, Michael thought it would be a miracle. This...this 'thing' would tear into the first person to piss it off!

Michael obviously underestimated his sister.

He worked for words and Jami sighed, sitting up, her voice neutral and unworried. "Kain, let the man breathe." Even as she spoke, she came between the two males, effectively making the male hybrid back off if just to avoid her touch and she faced her brother who was gaping like a fish, crossing her arms, her eyes hard this time. She'd had a moment of weakness, of being lost, but Kain's words - while not agreed upon by her beforehand - were correct. She couldn't stay here if she wasn't welcome and Kain definitely couldn't.

"He's right. If you don't want to help; I'll leave, and I won't come back. Maybe...maybe that's better anyway. " Even as she thought about it, Jami's heart broke inside her, but if there was one thing Greenwater had taught her, it was how to make the hard decisions and stick to them. "You know what....I'm not going home. I don't want them to remember me like this."

"Jami-"

"No. Tell them I've chosen to pursue a new direction in my life. Tell them I'm with a friend, that I'm safe and tell them I am happy, that they don't need to worry. Tell them I'm sorry I didn't call, but that I hope to see them soon. Do that and withdraw my savings from the bank and...I'll disappear. I won't stay and cause trouble."

Michael looked torn, his mind wrestling the fact that this was his sister, whom he'd adored for so long, but also the fact that she was now someone he didn't recognize - literally - and Kain....yeah, he was having a hard time with all of it. The male eventually nodded slowly, though, voice quiet. "I didn't...I didn't mean to..."

"I know, but...it is what it is and...better I learn that now. Just...get me the money we'll need to make our way from here and no grudges, Mike. Okay?"

He brother nodded and a moment later he was gone. Jami stared at the door for a long moment before she made her way back to the bed and simply sat, crossing her legs and putting her head in her hands. She didn't cry - wouldn't - but she hurt and she felt she just needed to breathe for a moment before everything would settle again.

Last edited:
Kain glared down at Jami and snapped at her, but he took a few steps back and crossed his arms. He glowered at Michael until Jami denied everything she said and decided not to go home. He didn't interfere again with Michael and Jami's conversation but the man appeared sullen as he left. Jami looked no better, but Kain was bristling with anger. This wasn't supposed to happen. He growled in disdain as his ears pinned against his head and dared to lash his tail. His tail smacked the bed beside him and tore a hole in the mattress, leaving a wide slice where he'd hit. The beds had springs in them, but there was cotton, and some got stuck in the spikes lining the end of his tail. Kain whipped his tail up and precariously picked the cotton out, though for such an intimidating and fearsome dragon to have cotton stuck in his tail was almost comical.

He understood why Jami made up her mind not to go home, but it still... hurt, he thought. At least for her. Kain didn't have a home, so he didn't care. But Jami had wanted to return to her family, and she wasn't getting that now. Was it his fault? Part of the blame was his. Had he not been hasty and scared Michael, there might have been a chance...

...But Kain wasn't going to apologize. There was nothing he could do. Besides, his appearance would never change. He would always be big, scary, and a monster.

Kain sat on the ground, his wings brushing the ripped mattress. His legs came up near his chest and his muscular arms tensed as he gripped his shins. His golden eyes searched the floor, but he didn't know what to say. Finally, something managed to form into words. "...You should go... home. Without me," he growled, his chin digging into his knee as he spoke. Giving up Jami meant he could be free to pursue the most isolated and secluded part of the world and live out the rest of his life outside and in peace.

Jami watched as Kain ripped the bed up and then picked the cotton out of his tail spikes and she worked to suppress the giggle that appeared in her throat. She knew there was only some amusement that caused it and that the rest was the beginning of a stressful breakdown, but she didn't really care at the moment. She managed to keep her laughter hidden and it passed as soon as it had come, leaving her sober again as the dragon-hybrid sat on the ground. His words made her sigh and run her fingers back through her hair before she shook her head.

"It wouldn't make a difference, Kain. I was stupid to think that I could just...show up and everything would be fine. My family...they aren't prepared for this, for me, and if I go to them, Greenwater is just going to get them involved and I can't put them in that kind of danger. I didn't think this through and I dragged you here when we could have gone somewhere else. I'm sorry for that."

The blond got up and walked past her companion to the bathroom, drinking from the sink before she emerged again and locked the door, heading back to her bed after that. She laid back, flopping against the pillow and looking at the ceiling, feeling restless in this room, but knowing that they couldn't move until they had some resources. Besides, she was tired.

"Besides, if I go home and leave, you're going to become a scary recluse that turns into one of those monster stories kids tell around the fire when camping. That's not happening on my watch, so you can get over it now."

Kain snarled at her when she mentioned Greenwater. "If they let you go there, they're already involved," he snapped, falling silent as she walked away. He waited until she returned to resume talking, but she cut in. Her thoughts on his possible future... they hurt him. He didn't know how to feel. He was all of those things... so why did her saying those things bother him?

He climbed up on the bed and stabbed the pillow with one claw to hook it underneath his head. He crossed his arms underneath the fluffy thing, his feet, wings, and tail hanging off the too-small bed. "...I'm already a monster." His words were so quiet that they were almost inaudible. He was admitting to everything he'd ever wanted to be, but it was to remind himself he would never have a place.

Before Jami could answer, he forced himself to fall asleep, but for the first time in his life, he dreamed.

Blood floated around him in a lake flooding over perfect white bones. Kain was standing there, but he was also watching himself from a far distance. The other Kain looked normal, but there were tears running down his face as he watched the horror play out in front of him. A body floated to the top of the hellish lake, and it looked familiar. He watched the other Kain turn the corpse over and turn away in fear and disgust, because the other dead person was Jami, her body stained with crimson blood and mangled beyond belief. Was that his work? He couldn't tell. Both he and the other Kain turned at the same time as they heard a call, and standing on top of a pile of broken houses and broken bodies was Dr. Naris. Behind her hovered a mass of creations, all with blood on their hands, claws, or whatever other limbs they had. Those other creatures had killed Jami, and Kain was the last one standing. With a hand motion from Dr. Naris, the other creatures rushed him. They tore into his body and ripped him to shreds and--

Kain woke up, though it wasn't a violent awakening. He didn't know what it meant. He didn't think dragons had dreams, but it was unlike anything he'd ever seen before. Was that to happen if they didn't go to Jami's family... or if they did? He didn't know. He slipped from the bed and walked toward the door before nearly ripping it off its hinges from the force with which he opened it. A blast of cool air hit him and the smell of gentle rain washed over his senses.

If his dream was to happen if they didn't go to Jami's family, then Kain would force her to go. Her family had to see the monsters Greenwater was creating.

If his dream was to happen if they did go to Jami's family, then Kain would leave it alone, and they would find some other place to go. Greenwater would be shut down eventually... he hoped.

Maybe his dream wouldn't even happen and his mind, despite his best efforts to keep the thoughts out, was allowing too much emotion. He was hanging around Jami too much. He left the room, and the door, open as he left, flying up to the roof of the motel. It was slanted, but he kept his balance on the slippery shingles, even if he was barefoot. The rain came down and dampened everything, including his mind. He didn't want to think. He hated doing that.

Jami watched Kain for a long time while he slept, his words circling in her mind like a bad record.

I'm already a monster.

She wanted to correct him, to shake him and make him see that he was wrong. Yes, Kain often BEHAVED like a monster, but that didn't mean he WAS one. He could be mean and vicious, frustrating and scary, but that didn't mean that was all there was to Kain. No, she'd seen the smallest glimpses of what he COULD be, the man behind the dragon and even the gentler side of the beast. There was so much more to him than he knew and for years he'd only been encouraged to kill, to hate, to loath himself and to have no hope for anything better.

Jami wished she knew how to make him see differently, how to show him what she could see.

She fell asleep thinking about it and woke in the night, feeling the rain-cooled wind whip into the room, looking around for Kain. It was instinctual now, habit to want to know where he was when she woke and the blond moved from the bed to the door, looking out in the rain. She leaned against the door and didn't know why she wasn't worried that Kain was gone. Somehow she knew he'd come back.

Maybe that was blind faith talking, but as Jami let her back slide against the door frame and rested her head on her knees, watching the rain, she knew blind faith was all she had anymore. And if she was going to believe in something, in someone, she felt that her odds with Kain were better than anyone would ever believe.

Jami once again fell asleep, the rain slowly soaking her through as it came through the door, with that faith alive in her heart, merely waiting for something to help it grow.

Kain stayed up there for much longer than he'd intended. The sun was starting to come up over the trees, so he went back inside. Jami was asleep, but he'd left the door open and gotten her wet from the rain. Somehow, he didn't feel bad, since she'd slept with it. Closing the door, he resumed his previous position on the bed and went back to sleep, dreaming no more.

Kain woke himself back up in a few hours, but the rain was still sprinkling the ground. He chose not to go toward Jami and instead sit up on the bed, the pillow on his knees. He began to pick the feathers out with two claws, but his aim was precise and his movements slow. When he grew bored of that, which was rather quickly, he scratched at the bedside table, creating a rough sound.

Nothing was fun here. Everything was too fragile, so he damaged everything. Finally, he spoke at Jami's form. "...I had a dream." It was a simple statement, but one he never thought he'd say. Dreams weren't Kain's strong suit. Then again, anything related to emotion outside of fear wasn't his strong suit.

Jami started awake at his voice, nothing else getting through, but her ears seemingly tuned into him and she groaned softly, rubbing her face . She seemed to realize she was still on the floor and wet and winced as she worked her way to her feet, her body telling her it hated her at the moment. She happened to agree and the blond collapsed on the bed again, uncaring if she got it damp as she looked at Kain, raising a brow, his words finally registering.

"A dream. You gonna elaborate on that or leave me wondering?"

At this point, she knew that Kain would either tell her what was on his mind or wouldn't. She'd yet to find a way to make him do anything in the regard that he didn't want to do or wasn't at least grudgingly tolerate of doing and she was too sleepy at the moment to try. She just wanted a shower and food and dry clothes, but the two latter were out of her reach until Michael came back - if he came back - so she settled for simply staying where she was, looking at the male patiently.

She was listening if he decided to speak.

Jami did hope her brother arrived soon, though. She wanted to leave this place already and she KNEW Kain did if the ruined hotel room was anything to go by. Normally she would have told him to stop, but they'd get to things like that later....

Kain huffed at her question and was silent. She was shifting around; maybe she was impatient about his less-than-quick response. Finally, he worked up enough words to tell her. And that's what he did. He was slow at describing it, as he was never good about voicing his thoughts unless he was irritated.

He was careful to be detailed this time, from the lake of blood to her dead body to Dr. Naris and her army. For not talking a lot all the time, Kain was terribly graphic in his reiteration. However, he wanted her to know everything, just so that maybe she'd listen to his idea when he was finished. However, he did leave out the part where he died. He figured that her hearing about her mangled and torn body was enough.

"...I think we should go to your home. Warn them. If they know... Maybe this won't happen. Dr. Naris won't try to kill everyone." She would try to kill him anyway since that's what she liked to do best. Still, if he could... defend Jami, or her family, from Dr. Naris' impending wrath, maybe he would do something right in his life. Or maybe he wouldn't, and when the time came, if it did, he would run.

No... he liked killing too much. Dr. Naris' creatures would as well, if they were anything like him.

"...You don't have to believe me." He was so quiet, it was almost scary. He was never this quiet when he spoke. He couldn't figure out why, and as always, he hated to think about it. He scratched the wood on the bedside table again, trying to distract himself from his jumbled thoughts.

Jami had listened to him calmly at first, but as he began to describe with more and more graphic details his dream, she'd sat up, her complexion pale and her eyes wide in the dim lighting. She remained quiet, very quiet and while she was now uneasy, a little freaked out, she found herself focusing on Kain instead. She could tell he didn't really want to be talking about this, but the fact that he'd chose to do so, was telling her so that she might warn her family, THINKING about such a thing as their welfare - or was he thinking about how much it would hurt her if something happened to them? - showed Jami that her faith had not been in vain.

When he finished, she let the silence ring through the air for a good minute before speaking, her eyes never leaving the male, puzzled by his soft nature at the moment, but unsure she should push anything, how long it would last. "I do believe you, Kain, and if you think that warning my family would be wise, then that's what we'll do."

She stood then and hesitated only because she knew he didn't much like it, but in the end, Jami knew it was best for Kain and she reached out, touching the back of his hand, the one scratching at the table. She knew he'd probably jerk back, but he had to learn at some point that not all touch was bad and he was only going to understand that if someone took the courage to do it, cared enough.

She cared and Jami spoke softly.

"Thank you for telling me."

Jami moved away then and she didn't make him respond to her, already speaking again. "I'm going to shower. If Michael comes back, let him in and DON'T be mean.....well, not overly mean anyway. I'd like him to be alive when I come out."

The blond said that last bit with a definite teasing tone before she disappeared into the bathroom and shut the door gently, leaving Kain to his thoughts or anger, whichever way he wanted to react.

Last edited:
The silence was only filled with Kain's scratches against the wood, but he was so focused on his markings that he didn't even see Jami's hand until it was on his. It remained only for a second before he snatched his claws away, growling, but there was little threat behind the sound. However, she stood up and thanked him for voicing his dream to her. He hadn't known what else to do about it, and she was the only person around willing to talk to him.

He didn't speak, but he watched her move into the bathroom. He was... he didn't know how he felt. Now that his dream had been described, and she agreed, he didn't know what to do. They were to go to her family, but Kain doubted they would readily accept her. He heard the shower rush water onto Jami, so he sat near the window to look out just in case Michael showed up. The blinds were closed so no one got a glimpse inside, but he was beginning to grow restless. His tail whipped around, scratching the chair and the wall while his claws tapped on the table next to him. He noticed that he should have stopped after he stabbed the table too hard and left a crack.

...Kain wasn't meant to be in this world. He was too powerful and destructive. The people would wonder how the room had been destroyed, and they would ask and inquire and eventually, Kain's path of broken things would be followed. Jami would eventually be able to integrate into society again, but Kain was too different, too strange to be anything ever again.

He snapped at the air in frustration and gripped his leg, trying to put a dent into his skin with little success. He sighed before he drew one knee up and rested his chin, closing his eyes. He listened in silence to the sounds inside and out, wondering what would become of him once they got to Jami's home.

Michael came back right about the time Jami ended her shower and when he saw his sister emerge from the bathroom, wrapped up in a towel, he gaped and she rolled her eyes. "Oh, give me a break. I've seen bikini's that cover less than this towel does." she quipped before snatching the bag he'd brought from his hand and retreating into the bathroom. What she didn't seem to register was that her brother wasn't looking at her because of her state of dress. No, he was looking at the markings that swirled about her skin....and the multitude of scars that decorated her body, a parting gift from the scientists.

When she emerged again, it was in jeans and a short-sleeved red shirt. Jami slipped her gray hoodie on as she approached the males and Michael sighed, handing her the shoes she'd forgotten to grab and tossed a rather large envelope on the bed as she started to slip the shoes on. "That's all the money in your savings." Brown eyes glanced at Kain and then the damage in the room before coming back to Jami. "I would have gotten clothes for your....friend, but I didn't know his size and..."

"It's fine." Jami cut him off and then stood, glancing at the dragon-hybrid and then her brother. "I changed my mind. I want to see everyone, just for a few hours and then we'll leave."

"What? Jami, I don't think-"

"I don't care." She said the words in an almost warning kind of way, but Michael didn't hear the undertone and continued, looking irritated. "What the hell has gotten into you? You can't keep demanding I do things and then change your mind last minute! I'm not taking you anywhere and I'm certainly not taking your destructive dragon pet-"

Jami lost it. One minute she was silently frustrated, waiting for him to finish and the next she was all claws and fangs, pinning her brother to the wall, fur growing along her body, ears pointing further and laid back against her head, seething with fury. "Shut up! Don't you EVER speak of him that way again! He's the ONLY reason I'm going back at all and it's to keep all of you safe!" She released the male then, working, struggling to contain the killing rage that had sprung up inside her and Michael scrambled away, eyes wide as he brought his hand up to his throat where her claws had drawn blood.

The female hybrid growled, forcing herself to return to her human form - not even having fully transformed - but looking no less dangerous that way as her green eyes remained pinned on the human.

Wait.

Brother. Not just human...brother.

Did it matter? The werewolf inside her didn't seem to think so.

Jami shook her head, the thoughts buzzing around angrily and she stalked for the door. "You can hate me, but leave Kain out of it. You don't know anything about him." She flung the door open and exited, throwing parting words over her shoulder. "If you aren't going to drive, I'm stealing your truck."

Status
Not open for further replies.