Escape the Pack

He thought a moment. "Lea, you know as well as I do that I wouldn't choose human live over something I've been researching since I could read," he pointed out gently. "I'd regret every minute of it, wondering what I'd be doing if I had chosen the path lead with pawprints... You know I would," he raised his brows at her with a slight nod. He began pacing again. "What else would I have to know to become a werewolf," he asked her.

Grunting, Lea let that go. She'd find a way to convince him later, she decided.

But that question...

"Why do you want to be Changed so bad? It's not all painless, and... Well, there's quite a bit of a ritual involved. A bite and..." she paused for just a moment, "sex are both included, to bond both the Changer and the Changee. Your Changer is your trainer, your keeper, until the Changee is basically old enough not to need to be bonded."

He thought about her question. "It's thinking of human life compared to a werewolf life. The latter is so much more thrilling. You know how passionate I am about wolves, and werewolves," he looked at her. "If I have a chance, why would I let it pass me by?" He blushed a little at the sex bit. "This is completely up to you and whether you're comfortable with it or not. I just don't wanna lose my best friend."

Lea whimpered, and then jumped at the sound. She was too used to doing that as a wolf that it was strange to hear it as a human. Shaking that off, she shot a raised brow at Tony before sighing.

"I'll... consider it," she grumbled. "I guess we can talk about the Change... But I'm not saying yes!" she emphasized quickly, shooting him a look and getting comfortable on the couch. "We are encouraged to Change with the moon's call, but not all of us have the same calling. A different moon phase calls each of us depending on when we Changed for the first time. Your first Change might not even be the same night you were made wolf. The moon chooses those it wants when it wants them.

"But we don't only Change with the moon's call. Sometimes we have to miss a Calling because of obligations with humans on the off chance that we are not in Pack territory. Like with me, for instance. My moon Calling is under a waning moon. I had to change last night because I missed my Calling and it was starting to itch.

"Those are things you will have to face, Tony," she finished, looking at him. "And you won't be able to stray from my side for at least a year or two. You will have to be within my sight at all times. In fact, you won't want to be. The only thing a Pup knows is it's Changer's scent and the feelings it invokes. Because of the nature of the Change, that is generally infatuation. Most Pups either grow out of it, or they were Changed because those feelings were already mutual between the wolf and Pup and they last forever."

Tony listened to her, concentrating on what she was saying. "So it's not always a full moon. Interesting," he said, sitting down on the couch and leaning back as he thought. "Alright. So say you decide to Change me. Where will we go? Will we go with your old pack," he asked, looking at her. "Or will they try to punish you for running away?" He didn't want her to be hurt, and he didn't want her to be forced to go somewhere she didn't want to go. Maybe he was being selfish for wanting to stay with her. But she was his best friend, and he wasn't about to lose her. He just couldn't think of a [safe] way he could stay with her while being human. At least, not with the pack around. They avoided humans for a reason; he wouldn't be wanted.

Lea sighed and pulled her knees up to her chest.

"The safest place for us would be with the Pack, especially with you being just a Pup if I Changed you. They wouldn't like it, me returning all of a sudden, but..." Lea shrugged, "At least we'd be on their lands. I'd probably be punished either way because I left. But since I didn't really do anything to expose us, they might be a little more lenient."

She sprawled out so her head was in his lap. "I would rather not put you through this at all."

He nodded in understanding and looked down at her as she put her head in his lap. Without really thinking, he rested his hand on her head and started stroking her hair, like he did when she was his dog-wolf. "I know you wouldn't," he said. "Sorry I'm being a little selfish... I just don't wanna lose you, y'know? And besides... If they know that I know, and you leave me here... What will happen?"

"I'm not sure," she said slowly, her voice quiet. "They might kill you." Lea turned so her face was buried in his stomach. "I wouldn't be able to stand that happening to you. You've taken care of me." She would have to Change him, she realized, no matter how much she opposed it. Though, whether it was because of the Change or the ritual, she wasn't entirely sure. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, the ritual. He'd already seen her nude earlier. What's a little... more... intimacy?

Still, his hand stayed on her head, his other taking a hold of one of her hands to hold. "I couldn't just let you sit outside all by yourself," he told her with a small grin. "Besides, you grew to be my best friend. No turning back, now." His fingers lazily ran through her hair as he tried to find some words to comfort her. The problem was, he couldn't think of any. "I'm not leaving you, Lea," he murmured his promise.

Lea hummed and nodded her head just a little. She laid there for a while just taking in the comfort he offered. But, it couldn't last too long. "I need to Change back soon, I think. You'll need to feed at some point, as will I," she said, reluctantly moving to sit back up. "I don't think it'd be wise for me to spend the evening in human form wearing your clothes." It wouldn't do to tell him about her decision to go ahead and change him. They'd have to wait until evening and hope that no one would hear. They'd probably even have to wait until they could relocate for a night so he could Change. She wasn't looking forward to that conversation, she decided.

He nodded. "Yeah, mom and dad will be home soon," he glanced at the clock, letting her sit up. He stood and stretched. "Go ahead and change. I'll take my clothes back upstairs," he offered, glancing at her and turning away so she had some sort of privacy. He walked into the kitchen and poured her dog food and put a few extra scraps of meat on the top before popping a microwaveable pizza in the little white box and turning it on.

Lea stripped down, placing the clothes on the couch gently, and crouched to shift. It was odd, she thought, having been in human form for so long after not having been able to really all this time. For the first time since she arrived here, Changing was hard for her.

Now back into her wolf form, she shook herself and walked towards the kitchen to sit and watch Tony. Her eyes shifted to her feet and she perked up before jumping over to it, bumping into Tony on the way.

Tony laughed and scruffled her fur before going to get his clothes and take them upstairs. Not a few minutes later did he hear his parents open the door. "Tony, we're home," he heard his mom call. He came back downstairs to get his pizza out of the microwave. "Hey," he smiled at him. "How was work?"

"I thought the day would never end," his mother sighed, dropping her purse off on the kitchen table.

"Well, you're home now," he chuckled, sitting down on the couch.

"How was your first day of school," his dad asked him, coming to relax on the couch as well, after taking off his shoes by the door.

"It was alright," he shrugged. "Normal first-day stuff. Going over rules and all that. Came back home and took Lea out to the park for a while. Been chilling ever since, really," he shrugged again.

Lea chomped down on her food, only half listening to the conversation. She didn't think Tony would say anything to his parents about what had happened, so she didn't listen because of that. It always amazed her at how well humans interacted with others in their family. It amused her a little bit, even. Finishing her meal, she woofed at Tony and his mother and then walked off to flop over in the living room. She wasn't ready for a nap, but it had been a pretty exhausting day.

Tony smiled at Lea and patted her head before she flopped down on the floor. His mother chuckled. "I swear, that is the smartest dog I've ever seen," she said, shaking her head.

"She's the best," he smiled. "She figured out how to turn the TV on with her paw," he laughed. "I came home and it was on."

His mother laughed along with him. "I've heard of a few dogs learning to do that by themselves. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised that she learned how."

A few hours later, it was time for bed. Tony went upstairs and stripped down to his boxers, as usual, and laid down in his bed with enough room for Lea to lay down comfortably.

The evening passed easily. Lea kept an ear out for odd sounds, trying to stay alert on the chance that someone was going to come after her tonight. She stayed on the floor in the living room as the family interacted through the evening, getting up only once to make her rounds outside. When Tony went to bed, she joined him upstairs and sprawled out next to him like it was just another night.

Tony stroked Lea's fur fondly, as he did every night as he drifted off to sleep. He dreamed of running through the forest with Lea, racing her as they dodged trunks, branches, and jumped over creeks, rivers, and logs. The whole dream was running, jumping, dodging. He woke up to his alarm and groaned, rolling over to shut if off. He did not feel like going to class today. "Do I have to go," he mumbled to his dog, petting her as he sat up groggily. He yawned and stretched before climbing over Lea to get off of his bed and into the shower. That ought to wake him up. Beginning by washing himself, and ending in cooler water to wake him up, he toweled off and got dressed, heading downstairs to make Lea her breakfast.

Being awake, but not entirely so, he thought he saw someone standing in the doorway out of the corner of his eye. He turned to look, and his brows furrowed as no one was there. "Lea, your food is ready," he called to her, and opened the door a crack so she could go relieve herself when she felt like it. He looked to where he thought someone standing again, and sighed, shaking his head. Must have been imagining it. I'm going crazy, he thought to himself as he yawned and fixed himself a bowl of cereal.

Lea felt Tony leave but didn't move right away. Her dreams had been full of images regarding Tony and the Changing ritual. She wasn't sure it would be a good idea for her to see him until he was fully dressed. It hadn't ever been an issue before, and that bothered her. Hearing him holler about her breakfast, she got up and stretched before heading downstairs. Needing to relieve herself, she headed for the door and paused. There was an unfamiliar scent there. Growling, she pushed past the door and searched the entire area, taking a moment to pee while she was out before racing back in and pulling on Tony's pants with her teeth. Barking once, she ran upstairs and shifted in the middle of his room. After a split second of awareness, she opened a drawer and pulled out a pair of his shorts and a t-shirt to cover up before he arrived.

Tony worked on his breakfast slowly as he worked on waking up, as well. He blinked. "Lea..?" He watched from the doorway as she sniffed the yard. He held onto the door. "Lea, what- Okay, I'm coming," he said and put his bowl down on the counter, closing the door before he went upstairs. He was relieved to see her dressed when he got upstairs. "What's going on," he asked, frowning.

"Someone's been here," she answered, pacing. "Specifically a wolf. I don't like this, Tony." Lea stopped to meet his eyes. "You can't go to school alone. They'll be following you, looking for a way to use you against me. And they'll want to know how much you know." She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. "If they've been watching long enough they'll already know that you are aware of what I am. Neither of us will survive if they take us to the Alpha in that case." Sighing she tilted her head back and looked at the ceiling. "I don't know what to do, Tony, short of going to school with you in this form for a while."