Escape the Pack

Tony watched her pace. "Been here, are you f*cking kidding me," he groaned. He knew he shouldn't have gotten out of bed... He watched her, listening to her as she thought of their options. "You're not registered for classes, Lea, I can't take you there. They won't let you in. We'll just have to skip classes today and do something else," he sighed, shaking his head as he thought of what else they could do. Of what they should do. "I've got nothing," he raked his hand through his hair and shook his head.

Lea's jaw clenched; she was disrupting so much of his life with this. She should have just left him last night, not said anything about all of this and just left. He would have been devastated by her absence, but he'd be safe from all this.

"We need to come up with a plan, or something. They'll be back," she mumbled. Then, clearer, "Are your parents gone already? I didn't see them, but I was really focused on this I'm not sure I'd have noticed."

He stared at her and charged back down the stairs to look in their room. Their bed was made, and it was the last thing his mom did before leaving the house. So she wasn't rushed. Or so it seemed. He went back up to Lea. "Well, the bed's made, so they weren't forced out before then," he said, though his brow was furrowed.

She nodded. "Most of my interaction has been with you. If they were this close to the house, they've likely been watching enough they know that," she told him before walking over to him and pushing her face into his chest, something she would do as a dog when sh wanted to feel close to him, comforted. "I just don't know how much more than that they know. I'm afraid for you, Tony."

His arms went around her, an automatic response for when her head was on his chest. "There's no way of knowing," he told her, rubbing her back gently. "I'm kind-of afraid, too," he admitted. "But we've gotta think up a plan. Something so no one else gets involved." He rested his cheek on her hair as he thought, feeling a little helpless. He wished he didn't feel like this - he hated it.

They'd have to leave. Lea knew that, she was just denying that it was the best one they had. Sure, they could stay here and hope for the best. But the wolf from this morning would return. And he may have friends, which means Tony's family wouldn't stay safe. But if they left, Tony would still be in danger. Unless he was Changed, and then he'd be a little safer. But could she Change him? Her eyes squeezed shut.

"We have to leave, Tony."

He nodded, his arms tensing around her. He knew she didn't want him to go, too, but he knew she wanted to keep him safe. "When do we leave," he asked her softly. He pulled back to look down at her, but still close enough to keep her in his arms.

"As soon as you can be ready," she answered, pulling away from him entirely. "I suggest packing light. And leave a note for your parents." She pulled off the shirt and dropped the pants. "I need to see if I can find a place for us to stay. Luckily we're not too far into the city, I should be able to slip away pretty easily to find a secluded area outside to hole up in." Lea turned to meet Tony's eyes. "We'll... probably have to discuss the Change then. You can think about it more in the meantime."

And then she shifted and, shaking herself a little, ran out of the room and out the door downstairs.

He nodded, letting her go. "Alright," he murmured. He grabbed his bag and began packing the essentials - lots of socks and underwear and other clothes. Tony packed some survival tools he had in his closet. He wrote a quick note, saying he was gonna be gone for a while, that he just needed to be out and he would return when he could. He didn't leave any more detail than that. He went downstairs to see where Lea went, his bag over his shoulder. "Lea..." he asked, looking around the kitchen.

She sniffed the perimeter again, making sure no one else had been by since the morning visitor. No new scents could be found, but that didn't mean they weren't close by and watching anyway. With nothing else to do without Tony, Lea went back inside and shifted to be able to speak.

"Tony!" she called before finding him in the kitchen. He was holding a bag. "Oh, good. Are you all ready then? I'm not sure what we'll do once we leave... Should we take the bus, do you think? I can put on some of your clothes...."

Tony heard her say his name and looked over at her. She definitely had his attention. Damnit, don't look, he mentally told himself, keeping his eyes on he face. "Yeah, the bus sounds fine. Go ahead and change into whatever you need to. I'll wait here."

Nodding, Lea turned and went upstairs. She grabbed whatever she needed and pulled it on, ending up in a pair of sweats and a T-shirt that fell a little baggy on her. She considered finding a pair of his shoes, but she was small enough compared to him that they would never work for her. The soles of her feet were calloused enough it wouldn't matter much, but it would look odd to others that she wasn't wearing shoes.

Covered, she walked back downstairs as she tied the sweats to keep them from falling. Entering the kitchen again, she smiled at Tony. "Are you ready to go?"

"All ready," he nodded, standing from leaning on the counter. He picked up his bag from the floor and slung it over his shoulder. He let out a breath. Suddenly, he wanted to look around to say goodbye to the house. He felt like he was saying goodbye to most everything he'd ever known. He bit the inside of his cheek forcing his feet forward and out the front door. His parents wouldn't be safe if he stayed. He knew he was doing the right thing. He just had to let go of his family for a while. He glanced back at her and started towards the bus stop. He was resolved to keep her and himself safe, as well as his family. This was the only way.

((I totally didn't realize I was ready to reply for some reason. >< Starting a job and then getting the sickies just don't agree with a person. I'm so sorry, love.))

Lea nodded at Tony, and then headed for the door. She had nothing here except Tony binding her to the place, so she didn't feel much more than a twinge of emotions at the idea of leaving it, and that was only because Tony's parents did bring them together. The walk to the bus station was quiet, and a little long as it was several blocks away.

"We'll look at what the buses are running, and go as far as we can by bus," she said as they got closer. "The tickets will be pretty expensive..." She bit her lip, having forgotten that until now. It didn't feel quite as right to be taking advantage of his money for her own safety, even if he had insisted to come with her. She wasn't even sure to what extent his resources went.