EquinoxSol x RangerKay

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He smiled at her mumblings, closing his own eyes. Lying next to her was extremely comfortable, and it was making him drowsy as well. However, he decided that he would take the first watch.

She mumbled, clutching onto his shirt with her fingers. "Protect.....slums....running...."

Gently increasing his hold on her, he whispered into her ear, "Shh, Annabel...it's okay..."

She quieted down suddenly, mumbling to herself.

Yawning, Niko brought up a hand to cover his mouth before settling once more, simply holding her close to him. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep, and once he did, he was dead to the world.

Annabel panicked, her dreams turning into a fight for survival and she jumped awake, trying to reach for a weapon of any kind. "NO!" She screamed, her mind coming fully awake. She stumbled from the bed, shaking and covered in sweat.

Niko jumped into consciousness when she screamed. At first, he couldn't figure out what was happening, until lucidty returned to him and he saw Annabel. "Annabel!" he shouted, trying to get her attention. Kneeling at her side, he gently placed his arms around her, trying to calm her down.

Annabel pushed him away. "I'm okay..." She put her forehead on the edge of the mattress and groaned. "Leave me..."

"I...I'm sorry," he answered, standing up and backing away from her. Stepping into the kitchen, he sat at the table, and tried to focus on the puzzle.

Annabel calmed herself, moving to stand and walk over to him. She put her head on his shoulder and spoke, "I'm the one that should be sorry."

He sighed softly. "It's okay," he replied, looking to her.

She wrapped her arms around him. "I always...always have the worst dreams..."

"I'm sorry," he told her. While he had experienced terrifying dreams, it was nothing like what Annabel must have had. "If there's anything I can do to help...tell me." After a moment, he looked out the window. It was now dark outside. Absentmindedly, he asked, "Where's Thomas? Wouldn't he have been back by now?"

Annabel shook her head. "Thomas will spend several hours watching the stars...." She wrapped arms around him and shook. "Can you...can you hold me?"

"Of course," Niko answered, standing up. Leading her back to the bed, he sat down with her, gently placing his arms around her.

Annabel leaned into his hug. "Thomas would do he same..." She sniffed. "I never would let him..."

"Then why do you let me?" Niko asked, frowning slightly.

"Until you do know, then," Niko said, "I will hold you as long as I can..."