Empire of Remanus (OOC|Open)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw your banner and I had to click it! Consider me interested!

Oh wait...

I present your two companion NPCs for your first mission. I hope to get a few more people on board before giving you guys the mission blurb and getting into the IC, but I am excited to launch this RP and am encouraged by all of your questions and your interesting characters so far.

• Name: Ianuaria Alypia
    Sex: Female
    Birthplace: Woods outside of Virunum
    Species: Faun

Appearance: Slight and skinny, Ianuaria has a petite frame, standing at 5'2", but her slightly stockier goat legs add some weight to her frame. Her horns are tightly curled and hard to hide, and her ears are the most downturned of her siblings. She possesses light brown eyes, creamy skin, and dark brown, almost black hair which is a few shades darker than the fur of her legs, which is actually quite a common trait in fauns. She wears a very simple top and has collected several bangles, bracelets, armbands, and rings that travelers have managed to lose in the woods. Gaudy as they may seem when worn all at once, she regards each one as a treasure.

Biographical Notes:
    • Ianuaria is the first born of a large family of fauns.
    • Has spent a lot of time tracking animals and hunting in the woods, though she rarely kills.
    • Crafts poisons for local farmers to kill pests in their fields.
    • Has always desired to go adventuring, because she doesn't have the same skill for magic and tending for groves like the others in her family.

Notable Points:
    • Ianuaria makes a good scout, being used to traversing the woods nearly soundlessly, handling varied terrain with ease, and being able to communicate with animals.
    • Her handwritten journal full of sketches and descriptions of all sorts of plants found throughout the empire proves to be a valuable resource, if hard to read.
    • More experienced with poisons and antidotes with general balms and healing ointments.
    • Has good aim with a hunting bow, but no real experience using it under life-threatening pressure.

Name: Aestus Marum

Sex: Male

Birthplace: Larius Lacus, just off the banks of Novum Comum

Species: Oceanid

Appearance
Undeniably an Oceanid, Marum towers at 6'0" with bluish skin and a short tail. His head's the biggest giveaway: Three small fins, a protruding jaw, and total lack of hair will do that to a guy. The rest of him is humanoid, of course, with only minor differences; pointed teeth, webbing, gills... You know. The works.

mfnbcqi.jpg

Personality
Aestus trusts in his own strength. He's known to be impatient, even reckless, sometimes. Most of the time. Shut up. Though he isn't exceptionally smart, his occasional gruff silence isn't as thoughtless as some may believe. Determination and ruthlessness kept him alive in the ring, but he has a good heart beneath his temper. Deep beneath. Probably.

His years in captivity have left him with a negative impression of humans, especially those in the hunting or lanista business.

History
64 BC. A man stands alone in the calm surf.

Which would make a terribly boring story, should it be true. Good that it's wrong on three counts.

First count. The creature in the surf was no man.

It was tall, nearing six feet, towering over the fronds and reeds. Its skin, rough as sandpaper, tints deep blue in the pale light of the moon. Young fins sprouted from its head, arms, and legs, matching the short adolescent tail that trailed behind it as it walked. It walked. It walked. Could eyes be believed? Though it looked for all the world like a fish, like a feral monstrosity of a creature that sucked blood and killed children, it walked. On two legs, it trudged through the shallow mud. On two feet, it stomped down the lilies and fronds. With two hands, it clenches two solid fists. And with one mouth, it lets out a feral monstrosity of a roar.

Second count. The surf was not calm.

Cruel laughter tears the air. Water, dyed red by a trail of blood. A girl, a body, robbed of life in the moonlight. Blood, seeping, flowing, pouring, from three small holes in her infant chest. Dumped in the lake to hide, as if no one would know. But the creature knew. Laughter rises in frequency, joined by two other throats. It took evil to commit the deed. It took a monster to revel in it.

Third count. The creature was not alone.

Three soldiers, skilled hunters of both prey and men, amble uproariously away form the shoreline. The first, the only one to matter tonight, carries a bronze trident tipped in blood. Ale sloshes in their stomachs. Then a noise. A commander? Fear shines in their eyes. Their pace quickens. Another rustle. A bear? An authority? No, only a young creature from the lake, seething with rage. It leaps for their throats. It bites and it slashes. It is bruised and is beaten. Three holes, like those in the girl, stain burlap's inside red. The laughter returns, louder, raucous, elated at its new burden.

54 BC. A man stands victorious, defeated, as cowards look on.

A lion, three holes through its pelt, lies dead in the sand. A net, still wrapped around the mane, is gathered up by his killer. Would this hunter, this murderer, feel sorrow? He had, long before, but his lips soon grew still. He pitied his opponent, though he no longer showed mercy. The crowd cheers. The travelers stand, applaud, shocked that such a large beast could be felled. The locals chuckle quietly to themselves. They know; They've seen it before. This retiarus, now scrambling for the moisture of its hypogeum, was fearsome in the ring. Its bronze trident, stained with blood, struck down men and beasts alike each day.

It enters its cell, cool and damp in the darkness of the tunnels. Strength slowly returns. With a brush of its hand, wounds stem and skin mends. It waits, anxious. Weary. Defeated. The next call aboveground would not be the last.

44 BC. A man runs, exhausted. Elated. Ecstatic.

Dearly it clutches a small vial on its flight. Novum Comum, great city of glory and games, fades all too slowly from the horizon. There was no turning back.

Now, a man stands free.

Traits
- Anathema
- Gladiator
- Lateral Line
- By Land or By Sea
- Healing Touch

Custom
- Shark Skin: Spawned without the rigid scales of his people, Marum's skin grew tough to face the rigors of combat and punishment. After 34 years, it is thick, rough, and abrasive; its protection rivals stout leather, or that of a shark.

Equipment
- Bronze Trident
- Weighted Nets
- Pugio (Dagger)
- Manica (Arm guard)
- Galerus (Shoulder guard)
- Tunic
- Greaves (Leg guard)
- Sandals
- Loculus (Satchel)
- Vial of Seawater (Worn as an anklet)
- Completely legit freshwater canteen

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I don't want to be "that guy" or seem like I'm throwing a petty anal retentive hissy fit, buuut.... it occurs to me that at least some of the characters might not need to have names that apply so closely to the "Reman" norm. In real life Rome, foreign slaves or naturalized citizens were probably given familiar Greek or Latinized handles, but the three-name structure would not strictly carry over, as that was primarily to help Roman families distinguish themselves from one another.

Of course, I understand we aren't going for 1:1 historical accuracy here and I don't want to criticize anyone for names they like. I'm kinda just using this as an excuse to geek out and share some knowledge of Roman customs and to help out if anyone feels like they're squirming to conform to certain preconceptions.

I love Rome and Greek and The gods and goddesses. I wish I lived in those times, would have been fun. Anyway going ot have a cs up either later tonight or tomorrow. Might make Demi-god Mars or Neptune, those are my favorite gods, I don't know which to decide...uhh.

Okay, I don't want to be "that guy" or seem like I'm throwing a petty anal retentive hissy fit, buuut.... it occurs to me that at least some of the characters might not need to have names that apply so closely to the "Reman" norm. In real life Rome, foreign slaves or naturalized citizens were probably given familiar Greek or Latinized handles, but the three-name structure would not strictly carry over, as that was primarily to help Roman families distinguish themselves from one another.

Of course, I understand we aren't going for 1:1 historical accuracy here and I don't want to criticize anyone for names they like. I'm kinda just using this as an excuse to geek out and share some knowledge of Roman customs and to help out if anyone feels like they're squirming to conform to certain preconceptions.
tumblr_mbtfhovYcI1r583r1o1_500.gif

Caetus Aestus Abyssi Rex Vacuo Scipio Caesar Mortum Cognus Deus Marum disagrees with your logic and history, good sir.

In all seriousness, I really should've read this before deciding on a name. Whoops.

Caetus Aestus Abyssi Rex Vacuo Scipio Caesar Mortum Cognus Deus Marum disagrees with your logic and history, good sir.

In all seriousness, I really should've read this before deciding on a name. Whoops.
This is a good one to check out, too.

No kidding, though, Rex is my real, true blue, meatspace name. So yeah.

I see where you're going with 'Abyssi Marum,' though. Is 'Caetus' based on Cetus or Ceto? Anyway, it could certainly be something your PC does in an attempt to conform, or something someone else slaps on him.

EDIT: Whoops, it's 'Caertus,' sorry.

That feel when you get so caught up in your character's history that you forget to say anything about his personality. ._.
EDIT: Whoops, it's 'Caertus,' sorry.
Ah! Ninja-reader. Caertus was a typo; Caetus is the right name.

Well played.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
@Stopwatched, Caetus is accepted. Custom looks good to me, and thanks for adding in that personality blurb. It's just always nice to know in advance before we get into the thread.

@Pastor ćhoi and @Tempest, we've chatted about your customs (for Felix and Iacis, in this case) and both are approved. Just give me some background for your characters soon, and there should be no problems with getting them accepted.

@Shattered♦Secrets™, I hope to see a CS from you soon. The more the merrier!

Reactions: Stopwatched
@Foxxie I have one question, can my char be a warrior in the Remanus army, since he is going to be a demi-god Mars is going to be his father. He wants more then to just being a warrior he wants to travel the lands conquering beasts and things like that is that ok?

Ooh, tides. I mean, sure thing, Swatch. Which I've just started calling you, oops. I haven't updated the OP yet, and I probably won't be able to for a little bit longer, so make any changes you need. And if anyone has anything they'd like to edit, it won't be an issue.

Soldiers in the army are totally fine, Shattered. In fact, we have a trait especially for them, and @Tempest's character happens to be one and one of your NPCs is the equivalent of a lieutenant, so there's tons of context for soldier PCs.

• Thank You
Reactions: Justin
It's a hundred times more effective than when I whistle for you.

*whistles* C'mere, girl.

He's an obedient hurricane. She's his boss in a Roman roleplay. Watch as they take on Iwaku... And each other!

Coming this fall to the Libertine section.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's an obedient hurricane. She's his boss in a Roman roleplay. Watch as they take on Iwaku... And each other!

Coming this fall to the Libertine section.
Funny. Mine's cognomen from what I was told by Foxxie is pretty much Tempest >_> <_< or charge. but I prefer Tempest

Sex:
Male
Birthplace:
Remanus
Species:
Demigod-Son Of Mars
Appearance:

Out of his Roman Armor, Tiberius is a magnificent man, standing at 6'3' and 220 Pounds of pure muscle. In the sun his skin glows brilliantly bronze, showing off his godly heritage. Tiberius is usually wearing his armor, when he doesn't he is wearing regal outfits. Tiberius is a demigod, he can't go around looking like a peasant, now can he.
Personality
:
Strong | Willful | A Leader | Powerful | Smart | Impulsive | Loyal | Charming
Tiberius is a man that takes chances and backs down to few. He's a strong man and he knows what it takes to be a legendary soldier. When something goes wrong, Tiberius is usually the one that goes out of his way to fix it. People see how Tiberius can take the reign as a leader when he needs too, but that attitude can also backfire sometimes. He can be impulsive, not thinking before he does something, he shows respect to those that show it back. All around Tiberius would make an amazing ally, but he would make a devastating enemy. It's best to stay on his good side.

Biography:
Tiberius was born in Remanus to a strong woman, he was the only child and she was a wonderful mother. Tiberius got his strength and prowess from his father, but he got his charm and leadership from his mother. Tiberius wanted to be a warrior since birth, he came out fighting. His mother never hid from him that his father was a God. She couldn't even if she tried, everytime he would leave their home his body would glow a bronze gold, showing everyone he was special.

The people of Remanus would show him respect and love, since they knew his father was the same man that fathered the man who founded Remanus. Tiberius had never met his father formally, he had always seen hints of him. Like a wolf would follow Tiberius when he was on his own in the forest or foreign places. He would also see that same wolf, when he was in a battle. As if the wolf was cheering him on, howling at every blow or slash he made.

When Tiberius was 18 he joined the Remanus Army. Tiberius felt it was right for him to join, his father being The God Of War after all. His father would be proud of him. The proud father one night came down to visit Tiberius in a human form, his true form would never fit in the little house Tiberius lived in. His father told him he was proud of him, but he needed to keep pushing himself.

His father was brutally honest with him, he told Tiberius that he would never be a fit son of his if he didn't become something in the world. Mars only wanted sons that were legends or war generals, some kind of powerful men. Tiberius took that as a challenge, he would show his father that he was worthy of being his son.
Traits:
Divine Infighting: While your parent god might have your best interest at heart, despite being too busy to intercede most of the time, gods who are rivals of your parent will be more inclined to take out their grudge on you, putting you at risk of smiting, or at the very least, unlucky encounters.

Soldier: Having served in the military, you are quite fit, used to the pressures of the battlefield, and able to handle swords, spears, and bows with fair proficiency, never growing more accustomed to one over the other. You're a jack of all trades in combat.
Spitting Image: You look like a god. Not just any god, but kind of like your parent god. Your good looks can get you far, but don't expect to hide your ancestry from anyone anytime soon. For every few humans you can seduce with your glowing skin, expect to run into a monster with a familial grudge.

Divine Favor: Tempered Steel-You have the ability to infuse any weapon you touch with a fighting energy that will make it nearly impossible to break, which means that your spears, shield, and armor will be much more resilient than most, although not entirely unbreakable. This power also works on metal objects. This process takes a moment or two, and does wear off with time, so best to apply it before battles.
Aura of Importance: People tend to give you things and show you a lot of respect, even if you're not saying anything. You have the swagger to intimidate or to pass by unquestioned into a fancy party because you always just seem like you belong and you're in the right.

Custom:
Godly Combat: In a battle, Tiberius thrives in it. The more he gets hit and hits, the stronger he feels and gets. He's not unstoppable of course, but being his father's son it makes him pretty close to it. It takes a lot to get Tiberius down, you would have to withstand a long bloody battle if you want to face Tiberius.
Equipment:

His Spear And Shield, that his father gifted to him. He rarely uses any other weapon(s) in battles.
His Remanus Army Armor, with a custom red wolf design on the back of his chest plate.
A bag of many coins, never know when you'll need spare coins.
His late mother's golden necklace, that he wears all the time, to bring him good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.