Empire of Remanus (OOC|Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, full disclosure, already working on an introductory scene for Musca and really enjoying it. ^_^ Pretty excited for this RP.

Reactions: Stopwatched
Okay, full disclosure, already working on an introductory scene for Musca and really enjoying it. ^_^ Pretty excited for this RP.
How does one work on an intro scene for an RP that has no first IC post yet?

@Ozferatu Vitellia has been accepted, and since we had our talk about duration of time, the custom should be all good.

@Tempest Callidia is looking good so far. Custom is definitely approved, good work tweaking that mandatory I slapped you with. Just get a bio up and I can read through it and give you the final verdict.

@Pastor ćhoi o_o Keep going on Scruffy.

SO how many people do you want in the RP before we start?

I'd like to cap this around 10-15 people, I suppose. 12 would be a great place to start, as I feel like I can handle 12 of you rowdy roleplayers. So, we'll see who else trickles in.

As for Scruffy/Roman Choi, @Pastor ćhoi, the Divine Favor trait has led to a GM-generated trait:

"One of Bacchus' other names is Liber, and as one of his children, you've been gifted with the ability to escape from almost any bonds that are directly applied to you. Whether a monster is grabbing you, or someone has chained you up, they won't hold you for long. This, however, doesn't apply to cages and locked doors."

I'm almost sorry it's not dolphins.

As for Scruffy/Roman Choi, @Pastor ćhoi, the Divine Favor trait has led to a GM-generated trait:

"One of Bacchus' other names is Liber, and as one of his children, you've been gifted with the ability to escape from almost any bonds that are directly applied to you. Whether a monster is grabbing you, or someone has chained you up, they won't hold you for long. This, however, doesn't apply to cages and locked doors."
I see this being a lively topic in the future.

*A large boulder falls on Choi*

"Alright, Foxxie, I use Divine Favor to free my legs."
-"Nope, sorry. That only works with bonds directly applied to your character."
"There's a rock on my legs."
-"It wasn't applied."
"Choi feels pretty damn well applied right now."
-"It isn't a bond, Pastor. Figure something out."
"How... It's a bond! He's trapped!"
-"Cages and locked doors trap him. That doesn't make them bonds."
"He's probably bonded with the earth by now. Does that satisfy you? Let it go!"
-"Nope. It's an environmental hazard, Pastor. Not a bond."
"But I escaped handcuffs!"
-"Which are bonds."
"And monsters!"
-"Which are bonds."
"How was the Cyclops more of a bond than the slab of granite currently crushing my midsection?"
-"Look, I don't know. Find another way out."
"WHAT OTHER WAY OUT?!"
-"Death?"
"WAAAAAAAGH!"

• Love
Reactions: Tempest
I think most people are, Choi.

Excuse me for a moment as I record that in my "Personal GM Torture Manual".

I'm not like most people, foxxie. I feel pain ;-;

seriouslywherearemyfuckin'dolphins

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
@Foxxie! Could you clarify a few things for me? Last barrage, I swear.
  1. What characteristics do all Oceanids have that aren't listed as Traits? I'd assume they're proficient swimmers, of course, but can they... manipulate water to any extent, for example?
  2. Feeding into the first one: Could you clarify Healing Touch? I'm not sure if it means "All Oceanids can use water to clear hexes/heal wounds, but those with Healing Touch can simply lay their hands on someone and heal them" or "Only Oceanids with Healing Touch can use water to clear hexes/heal wounds/rejuvenation-grope the wounded."
  3. While we're clarifying traits, I'd like to inquire about By Land or By Sea. Is that strictly distance running (sprinting) or does it translate to agility (dodging) as well?
  4. And... Sure, why not. Lateral Line! What's a rough radius on that bad boy? Are we talking wide-as-cities distance or tap-you-on-the-shoulder distance? Inquiring minds must know.

@Foxxie! Could you clarify a few things for me? Last barrage, I swear.
  1. What characteristics do all Oceanids have that aren't listed as Traits? I'd assume they're proficient swimmers, of course, but can they... manipulate water to any extent, for example?
  2. Feeding into the first one: Could you clarify Healing Touch? I'm not sure if it means "All Oceanids can use water to clear hexes/heal wounds, but those with Healing Touch can simply lay their hands on someone and heal them" or "Only Oceanids with Healing Touch can use water to clear hexes/heal wounds/rejuvenation-grope the wounded."
  3. While we're clarifying traits, I'd like to inquire about By Land or By Sea. Is that strictly distance running (sprinting) or does it translate to agility (dodging) as well?
  4. And... Sure, why not. Lateral Line! What's a rough radius on that bad boy? Are we talking wide-as-cities distance or tap-you-on-the-shoulder distance? Inquiring minds must know.
Always good to have people questioning these things because, in my head, they're crystal clear, so I don't think to clarify 'em right off the bat.

1. Proficient swimming and breathing underwater are common traits to all oceanids. As for water manipulation, I was thinking of having a trait for that, but it was eventually filed away because I couldn't think of a good, clean generalization for it... lame, I know. Anyway, I was leaving that open to be custom material because there are just so many types of water manipulation that I didn't want to box it off and make people think they couldn't customize it.

2. Only oceanids with Healing Touch can use water to heal/alleviate hexes and the like. A lot of the oceanid trait names do sort of leave things kind of vague, I realize.

3. Sprinting and dodging.

4. It starts off pretty local, so, let's say that if you're really focusing in to find someone/feel something, it can probably extend... to an 8 meter (24 foot?) radius. That's a number that seems like a pretty fair starting number, and that can definitely improve with time if used enough and through leveling up and whatnot.

As always, good questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Could the Healing Touch ability target its user?

Stopwatched: Asking "Can I Touch myself" since 2015.

• Bucket of Rainbows
It could indeed.

Foxxie: Encouraging Restorative Masturbation since... just a few minutes ago.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Since we're asking questions...

So far, we've got a human monster-hunter/slaver, a lamia with an atypical talent for shapeshifting, an infelix who, based on the nomen Romula, is potentially a Gallo-Roman (or whatever we're calling them) and thus an enemy of the state, and one prospective oceanid gladiator (so a monster and possibly even a slave, or at least treated very much like one beyond the celebrity).

I guess what I want to know is how are all these characters supposed to coexist in the game based on the lore established? As a human and Reman citizen, my PC ostensibly has legal and social superiority over the rest (though demigods, for example, could easily surpass me). I imagine at least one or two of them is posing as a human under false pretenses. But in cases where various conflicting identities aren't hidden, or become known to the other PCs, what happens?

Granted, that sort of thing is the stuff of great IC drama. I'm just trying to get a handle on how our PCs can start off together, or form long-term relationships. Originally, I thought this a situation where a group of ragtag characters team up to fight/slay/capture monsters, but I daresay backgrounds get a bit in the way of that. I suppose it depends on how much we assume these characters will be at odds; maybe Reman society has greater tolerance for some of the anima than I 'm aware. We could certainly be competitors, but I would hope at least some of us can pair PCs up regularly, since character interaction in a RPG is at least sorta the point.

Sorry if that seems obnoxious or nitpicky of me.

Not obnoxious or nitpicky at all. The classes are incredibly striated in this society and it's inevitable that not everyone will get along. I don't want to lay ground rules about how each class/species will interact, because that's really up to the player. So, there will be some competition, I imagine, and the first couple of missions will be a good way to determine how your character views the others and what his belief system is when confronted with this particular cast of characters.

Generally speaking about Reman society, as I cobbled it together, values things on a human-centric basis. If you're an infelix or anima, you're seen as lesser. If you're a demigod, you're, by definition, greater than a human. However, some of that prejudice might not have sunk in too hard, or maybe you internalized it to an exponential degree. And hey, your characters will be spending a lot of time together, more than likely, between monster slaying missions, more political espionage type cases, and whatnot, so the way you interact will obviously change, even if your character might still hate anima in general, they might make an exception for the oceanid who has saved their ass from certain death.

Actually, this brings up something I actually enjoy doing in RPs. Sometimes, if I get a CS in early and it takes a bit of time for the IC to get going, I like to compile a small list of first impressions my characters would have about the other PCs who have been created so far. I find that usually gives me a good idea of their voices and keeps their mental worldview fresh in my mind.

Not obnoxious or nitpicky at all. The classes are incredibly striated in this society and it's inevitable that not everyone will get along. I don't want to lay ground rules about how each class/species will interact, because that's really up to the player. So, there will be some competition, I imagine, and the first couple of missions will be a good way to determine how your character views the others and what his belief system is when confronted with this particular cast of characters.

Generally speaking about Reman society, as I cobbled it together, values things on a human-centric basis. If you're an infelix or anima, you're seen as lesser. If you're a demigod, you're, by definition, greater than a human. However, some of that prejudice might not have sunk in too hard, or maybe you internalized it to an exponential degree. And hey, your characters will be spending a lot of time together, more than likely, between monster slaying missions, more political espionage type cases, and whatnot, so the way you interact will obviously change, even if your character might still hate anima in general, they might make an exception for the oceanid who has saved their ass from certain death.

Actually, this brings up something I actually enjoy doing in RPs. Sometimes, if I get a CS in early and it takes a bit of time for the IC to get going, I like to compile a small list of first impressions my characters would have about the other PCs who have been created so far. I find that usually gives me a good idea of their voices and keeps their mental worldview fresh in my mind.
Thanks for the feedback! As for 'mental worldviews,' well...

I guess what I want to know is how are all these characters supposed to coexist in the game based on the lore established? As a human and Reman citizen, my PC ostensibly has legal and social superiority over the rest (though demigods, for example, could easily surpass me). I imagine at least one or two of them is posing as a human under false pretenses. But in cases where various conflicting identities aren't hidden, or become known to the other PCs, what happens?
*Coughs* If you read my CS then you would know she is hiding her status, and that she would even be seen as socially superior to mancus in some ways.

*Coughs* If you read my CS then you would know she is hiding her status, and that she would even be seen as socially superior to mancus in some ways.
Oh, I did; I referred to all the PCs announced so far. Vitellia was one of the ones I assumed to be in hiding, though it's true I didn't actually recall that being explicit in her bio (or at least if she was keeping up the facade once she struck out on her own). And I totally agree her place in society trumps my character's.

Also, I don't know if you meant Musca, but you're totally free to have her mistake "Mancus" for his name in-game. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.