Dungeons and Dragons

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Well, when there is this much corruption of nature, it's only natural for the animal's habits to change as well. AFter all, animals are the first and quickest to adapt to changes in their respective environments. And besides, if everything is resolved cleanly, without waking the spell casters, and I go off and hunt down a deer, it's all good.

What the hell, Xenosis.

Mabu, if this wasn't the internet I would throw a book at you.

As it stands the only option would be to mail a book to you with a post-it note saying "apply directly to the forehead", but I'm far to lazy for that.

Using bluff on other party members is still a massive violation of etiquette, and then there is the sheer insanity of not only leaving part of the party in the dark about danger but even going so far as to lie to them to hide it!

Sales had his sleep interrupted already, it doesn't help if he goes right back to sleep!

Well, I'm sure your half-legal healing powers can save us, Archy. :D

Anyway, isn't this what the Rogue is supposed to do in a D&D quest? Xeno seems to be playing the "Tasslehoff" role pretty well so far. All he needs to do now is start pickpocketing the Lizardman, and it'll be comedy gold.

it's the sort of thing maybe a chaotic nuetral or a chaotic evil character who doesn't like the character they are lying to might do. Other exceptions would be for people with chronic backstabbing disorder or major, party-shattering secrets. And then you don't leave it up to dice, you go with whatever works better.

It's the same sort of thing as why you don't shoot the villain in a pre-battle monolouge, even though you can.

But...but...I don't have pockets

*Watches Xeno try to pickpocket his axe* You're right...comedy indeed.

I agree with Archy about the monologue...those villains probably rehearsed their evil scheme reveal and since we all KNOW the heroes are going to win...it's just polite to let them have their time on the stage.

So I'll just stand and guard the party from the ravenous mountain deer...here for revenge on their fallen kin in our stomachs.

I wonder what Sales would get modifier-wise to see through Xeno's cunning lie of needing two well armed party members to take down a deer while two others split his watch.

Seems natural.

Not as much as a +10.

Maybe he just puts it down to "strange human habits". Or he's too tired to give a shit.

Xeno's already mentioned that it's safer to travel in groups just in case. Frankly, at this point, after having lost about half the original party, if you didn't heed this advice, I'd have to call you a moron. And unless Angus feels like an ass, he'll probably tell Kryx what is really going on.

Archy, ever heard of a white lie? You're making too big a deal out of this and spinning it way out of proportion. It's not like Xeno told a lie so that he could get Sales to give him everyting he owns. He told a white lie so that Sales could got back to meditation so that he could get his spells back and be fully rested.

In my experiences, villians aren't always as weak as they seem, those in need of rescue rarely need it, and the odds of being killed by the DM during the next encounter are often far greater than he lets on.

*Looks at Asmo's secret plans*

Yep...rarity of survival is a given *nods solemnly*

Man, splitting up never works out for the better. Have you not seen this movie?

That's why we're going in groups, so we aren't completely split up. Another reason only two of us, the two stealth characters, might I remind you, are going to check out the light, is so that the entire party doesn't find itself trapped in the canyon by yet another of those oh-so-common rockslides.

Okay, I've heard that Angus and Karwik are okay with this plan, so I'll start rolling DCs.

TNT and Palonis, these are the checks you can make in your post. The moment you pass one you can stop and take cover and I'll describe what you hear/see. Otherwise, just write yourself bumbling along blindly to your dooms.

Lighting torches or lanterns won't really help, since this thing has the Scent ability and by the time you get light on it the thing will know exactly where you are. So the only hope is to see its eyes or its flame-breath, or to hear it from a distance.

The creature is hiding in a 140ft stretch of the gorge, so for each spot and listen check you roll, you must also roll a move-silently check for yourself. A roll of a 1 on Move Silent means you disturb some loose rocks and give yourself away. A roll of 20 on a spot or listen check means the creature uses its flame breath and gives itself away.

150ft from creature
Spot Check 1: DC44
Listen Check 1: DC44
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC4

135ft from creature
Spot Check 2: DC34
Listen Check 2: DC34
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC1

120ft from creature
Spot Check 3: DC40
Listen Check 3: DC40
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC9

105ft from creature
Spot Check 4: DC29
Listen Check 4: DC29
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC2

90ft from creature
Spot Check 5: DC27
Listen Check 5: DC27
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC1

75ft from creature
Spot Check 6: DC30
Listen Check 6: DC30
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC7

60ft from creature
Spot Check 7: DC33
Listen Check 7: DC33
DC to successfully stay quiet: DC15

Below 60ft from creature
Spot Check 8: Auto
Listen Check 8: Auto
DC to successfully stay quiet: NOW YOU'RE FUCKED

I RETURN!

Okay Asmo, aside from those checks being virtually impossible, I'm all up on this plan of slowly advancing towards the evil creature of the night. I'll get a post up for you when I get back from school.

*crumbles under the suspense*

Right, let's get this thing rolling.

Okay, that's the surprise round done. Let's get ENCOUNTERING!

Angus and Kryx - you've heard Xeno's scream.

Karwik, you've heard it too. :D

If I'm grappled or pin, doesn't Karwik get his Sneak Attack?

*Burps up a d20*

Just so I know what to roll for, of the two previously mentioned statuses, those being grappled or pinned, which am I?