• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"I wouldn't miss you. I don't miss people often. I don't miss my deceased father. Why would I miss you, knowing I'll see you again? You're so silly, Alfred. And you're the heir of your kingdom? My word," he tutted, rolling his purple eyes as he pointed out a few extra treats for himself. Sure, his mother was rather strict about what he ate, but a little treat wouldn't hurt. Not when he was growing annoyed with Alfred's possessiveness. He really didn't seem to care that they'd be separated for six years - it barely mattered to him when he knew he'd be seeing Alfred again. If this was the last day they spent together for the rest of their lives, then he'd feel bad-- but it wasn't, so where was the issue?

"...Come on, Ally-- look, have a nice muffin," urged Hope, frowning more at the boy's sullenness. "...Or I'm going to end up eating it and I'm too greedy as it is. Have a cupcake, or just-- something. A cookie?"

Alfred looked at his kitten and crossed his arms a bit. "...I guess I'll have a muffin." He mumbled. Once they all had their sweets, they walked to the park, happily eating. Bexan and Hope sat on the bench, enjoying the Spring-like weather as the children played.

Alfred was still...Quite upset about Incy's comments earlier. He wouldn't miss him...That was...Well, cruel! Ally loved Incy so much! He didn't understand that Incy had trouble expressing himself. No..It wasn't trouble expressing himself, more like, he had a different way of showing feelings. And Bexen knew this well. He knew that Incy was fond of the dragon, the way his tail moved around, and the way he allowed Ally hold his hand and show affection. He just hoped Ally wouldn't let this get to him so much.

Bexen smiled a bit, before looking at Hope. "Sorry...I know Incy seems a bit cold, but I assure you that Incy likes Alfred. He just doesn't express himself much."

"Oh, you don't have to convince me of that, I can tell they like one another. It's... a little soon for my liking, but I'm sure it'll all work out. And I do love a good wedding. Not that I've ever been to a proper one, but I know it'll just be so lavish and fabulous-- oh, and I suppose my wedding to Apophis will be... nice," she smiled, though her enthusiasm clearly took a huge hit. She was evidently thrilled about Alfred's wedding six years away than her own wedding in a few months. The reasons were obvious for that. Alfred was marrying someone who he had feelings for and who would at least like him back; they would be together, just them.

Hope was marrying a man who had four other wives and who barely cared about her these days. It was hardly something to look forward to. She loved him-- but not this version of him. She loved the man she first met, who she could pillow fight with. She knew she had messed that up by trying to kill him, but he had messed up her feelings for him too. Now, she just hated him.

"...So, you dating anyone, Bexen? I've seen about twelve women in this pack glance over to you in the space of ten minutes," she pointed out, grinning to herself as she spotted another. "Oh, make that thirteen. Bit of a magnet for women, aren't you?"

"Well, they certainly like a man in uniform. They all know I work for the Queen, so of course, I'll attract some eyes." Chuckled the man, nodding politely at the woman caught staring lustfully at him. "But no, I haven't dated anyone since Hunter's mother passed away. I've been far too busy with raising him and working for the Queen. I don't have much time for myself nowadays. You see, the Queen needs a lot of attention. She gets so worked up and stressed out sometimes about her Kingdom, and since the King passed away, she had more to burden her with. And when it gets around his birthday, or their anniversary she gets so down...So I'm here to help her get through it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a relationship with her." He joked lightly, smiling at Hunter who was happily swinging on a swing.

"I miss her...My late wife. Hunter takes after her, obviously. My wife, Rosella, was a cat hybrid. I met her when I first moved to Escaflowne, and I guess you can say it was love at first sight. She had these big yellow eyes and curly brown hair. She worked at a flower shop. I went there every day for a month, buying flowers just to work up the nerve to talk to her." He laughed fondly, looking down at Hope. "When I finally asked her her name, you know what she said? She said, 'took ya long enough. I thought I would be an old woman before you finally asked me'. The rest is history." He grinned, looking back to Hunter happily.

As heartwarming and as cute the little story was, it only achieved a mild sense of melancholy in Hope, because she'd never had that. All her life had been a struggle, and there was no time for romance when you were literally selling yourself to survive. Even what she had briefly with Apophis wasn't 'love', at least not the romantic, cute kind she could tell her children about one day. She'd met Apophis when he literally pulled her from a strip club for a few nights of sex - it wasn't love at first sight or anything she could look back fondly on.

And sitting with this man as he reminisced about the love he once shared with someone just made her feel more... horrified with how awful her life was right now. She had the kids but... that was literally it.

"I... I think I ought to be getting back now-- to the castle. The boys should head back for dinner, and I want to rest, so-- so let's go. Please."

Blinking, seeing her go so pale, obviously the man worried. Bexen felt her forehead instantly, to see if she was warm. When finding she wasn't warm he figured it was nausea. "Are you feeling sick? Come, I'll help you." He told her, standing up, and helping her up slowly. He didn't want her moving too quickly in case she got dizzy. He held her so tenderly, and so gently. "Okay, up we go, Hope. I'll carry you." He told her, before picking up the little woman easily. "My lords, we must get back to the castle. Hope's gotten sick." He called the Princes. He then looked at his son. Smiling down gently at him, h told him, "you run back to your aunt's house. I know she's worried."

Huffing softly, Hunter nodded, before waving to the bunny. "Bye bye Hope! I'll see you soon~!" Giggled the little boy before running off. Alfred hurried over, looking at Hope a bit worried.

"Are you okay Hope? Is it too hot out here for you?"

"It must be, she got pale all of the sudden. But I've got her. It's about time we head back anyway for dinner. My lord, are you hungry?" He asked Incy with a smile as he began to walk.

"She's clearly not well. Has she thrown up? There's stuff under the bench. Did she wet herself? That's so childish, even I don't do that. I never have done that, Mama said I was a perfect child--" Began Incy as he trudged behind the others, glaring at the ground. He may like to think he was grown up and mature, but he clearly wasn't if he didn't seem to recognise the suddenly serious situation Hope was in, because she hadn't done anything embarrassing that warranted him smirking up at her.

Rather, her waters had broken. Clearly the life inside her was growing quickly, which wasn't too much of a shock to her. Pregnancies for her kind didn't last long, just 6 months or so-- but this was still ridiculously early nonetheless. She barely even took into account the fact they'd broken, and it was only when the little Prince mumbled that she realised that. Then a mild contraction hit, lasting just a second, but it was enough evidence to suggest that this was happening now.

And it terrified her. She wasn't at all ready for it. She thought that she had another two months to prepare for the child (or children), so knowing that it was happening now was overwhelming, especially when it was way too early for it.

"I... I'm f-fine, I... I just... put me down, you can't pick me up without me giving permission," she snapped, her worry easily overriding her ability to be polite about it. "...I... can walk, it's not a problem, I... I need to get to the carriage and go home, I think... I'll be able to make it, it's not that far and labour... lasts hours, right?"

"Labor? Are you nuts? We need to get to the castle quickly!" Bexen panicked. "My lords let's go! We have to hurry!" Within thirty minutes was Hope in a hospital bed. She was in the hospital wing of the castle, and doctors were watching her, preparing to bring a new life or lives into the world.

In Apophis place stood Bexen, holding her hand tightly. He knew she needed someone right now, and while they notified the King, he wouldn't be able to make it in time, so he sat with her, holding her hand. "Just breathe Hope, okay? I...I'm fine, don't panic." Bexen whispered in a panicked voice. Of course, he got nervous during times like this. "You're going to be just fine okay? Oh, this is wonderful, you're about to be a mother!" He tried to lighten the mood, going to softly rub her stomach.

"Shut.... the fuck up... I don't care how you are! Do you have a fucking baby coming out of you? Until that happens, shut up about your feelings!" She growled up at him, clutching the bedsheets in the balls of her fists. She didn't mean to be so angry with him, but she was hardly going to be sweet and speak in hushed whispers either when the contractions hit and her whole body felt like it was going through hell. She was also too engrossed with the paint to realise she was hardly acting in a royal manner with her cusses. She was supposed to pretend she was of royal blood-- but that hardly mattered either. Besides, she was going through childbirth - whatever she said ought to be overlooked.

Moving to grip his hand instead, she squeezed as hard as she could the moment she was apparently urged to push, which did surprise her. Her mother's labour lasted hours, no matter how many children she'd had before, yet Hope's lasted a brief 30 minutes without any real difficulty. Yes, it hurt-- but the actual childbirth part didn't make her scream or yell or feel faint with pain. In fact, she managed to glance up at Bexen in surprise while her child was being born, breaking away from him as the doctors rushed the baby across to the side to clean up and check. After all, the baby was born months too early, so they were expecting a myriad of health problems-- and began muttering amongst themselves in shock when absolutely nothing seemed to be wrong. In fact, the baby was of healthy weight and perfect health.

The others weren't so lucky. Hope was pretty out of it through exhaustion and pain when the other two children made an appearance, and she was so exasperated that she barely even noticed the fact there were no noises or sounds of newborn cries. Eventually, though, when they broke the news, she had to accept the fact that not everything had gone the way she had thought. Not once had her mother lost a child; losing two for Hope was... difficult. She may not have every desired motherhood, but she had started to feel bursts of excitement in the recent days.

The hours that followed were horrendous. She was caught between grief and elation; when she looked down at her newborn son, she felt both delighted and then equally saddened by the realisation that his two brothers weren't cuddled in alongside him. Instead of even trying to talk to anyone, she demanded to be left alone-- which is why she glared furiously up at Apophis when he burst into the room, cradling her only surviving child to her chest.

"Get out," she growled lowly, her eyes wild and raw in her convulsions of grief. "You aren't to c-come near me. I... am not in the mood to deal with your egotistical bullshit, Apophis. Not today; not right now."

He looked at her, his eyes full of concern, and they too were red from crying. He'd never lost a child, but it hurt. He hadn't felt so much pain in his life before. The King, who was actually dressed in casual clothing, not his grand kimono walked over, slowly sitting down, not making any moves to hold the baby since she obviously didn't want anyone taking him.

Before he could stop himself, he covered his eyes letting out harsh and violent sobs. This was the hardest thing he had been through. "I-I...I-I'm so sorry...Th-This...This wasn't supposed to happen!" He whimpered, wiping his eyes. "I...I can't...I'm sorry Hope...I'm so sorry." He whispered looking at her, then looking at their son.

"You wanted me to have an abortion the first moment you assumed I was pregnant with your children, didn't you? Why are you so upset about this? Doesn't this just solve some issues for you? I don't belong in that castle, as... Queen. I don't want to be that. You can't have children with someone you aren't married to, so this is all very convenient for you, isn't it? You've eliminated a few issues. One survived, though, so there's still a problem for you. Not all our children-- died," she began, her voice initially hard and unrelenting, barely reacting to the emotional display-- but the consolidation of the fact that she'd actually lost children did make her whimper; her hard tone relenting and becoming much softer.

"...I didn't... do anything wrong. I... I didn't lift heavy things, I took gentle walks, I... I didn't do anything strenuous. I don't understand what went wrong," she mumbled, forcing her eyes anywhere but on Apophis, both because his emotions only made her want to cry-- and because she still resented him. It was only when the baby in her arms gurgled and moved that she dared glance at Apophis again. This situation was far bigger than the petty issues she had with him. They could at least be pushed aside for the time being.

"...He's a rabbit," she murmured slowly, pointing out the cute little ears atop the baby's head, a proud smile peaking at her lips. "So I basically win. I told you he would be like me. I... I'll let you hold him, if you want. Just... be careful. Very careful. I know how clumsy you fucking are, Apophis-- make him cry, and I kick you where it hurts. Got it?"

Apophis nodded, before carefully taking the baby in his arms. Tears welled in his eyes as he stared down at the baby, before letting out a little laugh. "...He's so tiny and fragile." He whispered, leaning down to take in his fresh baby smell. Losing children made Apophis want to be a better dad. Not just to this little one, but to all of his kids. Alfred, Azula, Avery, Felix, and Dax. They were precious, all of them, and he needed to spend more time with them. "....I'm going to be a better father to all of them...I...I could lose them so easily." He whispered easily crying again.

"...I want them to know how important they are...When I get home, I'm going to have a talk with all of them...Start taking family trips with them, just to bond with them...They deserve it...I...I'll be better." He promised himself, staring down at the small rabbit in his arms. "....What should we name him?" He asked sniffling a bit. "He deserves a powerful sounding name, something fitting of the little Prince. He's the first bunny hybrid Drakon. So he needs something nice." Chuckled the man, looking up at Hope. "...Hope...Hope...I...I wanted to tell you...I love you okay? I'm...I'm going to treat you better. I understand you don't love me, but I love you, and I will show you...I'll divorce my wives...I'll become a good husband and a good father, I promise."

All the buzz words and the promises were all Hope had wanted to hear since she first realised, months ago, that she loved the man. Back then, she'd have loved to hear him tell her he was going to be a better father to the children; that he was going to divorce the wives he had just for show. She wanted nothing more than to have the reality of being with him and him being not just a loving man to her, but a superb, caring father too.

Now, though? She just didn't believe it.

"...When I told you we were having a baby, you told me you had to fake documents in order to marry me, because I wasn't of royal blood. Do you know how... upsetting that is? You're forcing your own son into a marriage just for power, and you didn't even care enough about him to come on this trip with us. He... does love Incy, which I suppose is all that matters, but you didn't even ask him first. You just... threw him into it. The poor boy was sick with anxiety-- so I don't believe you can change, not at all. Actions speak louder than words, right? But I... I suppose I ought to let you try. I changed. I wanted to murder you when we first met and now I just want to punch you in the face," she murmured with deadly seriousness-- though did smile a little afterwards to at least show she was somewhat joking around with him. If she didn't try and smile, she was just going to have a complete breakdown-- and she didn't want to do that when she actually had a child to look after and gush over.

"I'm deciding his name. If he was a dragon, you could, but he's like me. I like the name Anders. After my best friend, Sandra. I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for her. She... helped me with you, that first night we met. If she didn't tell me how to act, I wouldn't have gone home with you, we wouldn't have had sex, Anders wouldn't have been here-- I owe it to her to name him after her," she decided, nodding firmly for emphasis. "...If you divorce your wives, it doesn't mean I'm marrying you. I don't want to marry you. I don't want to date you, not... immediately. Not until I know you've changed, I guess."

Apophis nodded and looked down at the baby Anders. "Anders, I like the name...And...I'll prove that I'll be a good dad. Promise. Anders Drakon. It has a nice ring to it." Smiled the man as he looked down at the baby with white hair and bright golden eyes. He was adorable. The perfect little baby. "...I'll be a better man, I promise." He whispered to the little baby. And Apophis kept his promise. An entire year later, he was still being a good father to his children. He actually spent time with them. He made it his mission to have every meal with them, ask them about their feelings and their days. When he learned the girls hated dance lessons, he decided to cut them and put them into things they enjoyed. He sat with his children and even played with them like a big kid. He wanted to be apart of their lives. And he knew it would be hard for them to accept him, but he tried and he was making great progress.

He divorced his wives like he said he would and didn't go to the strip clubs anymore. He hired Sandra into the castle, giving her a job as a maid, which she adored. She was glad to be out of the club and living in the castle. He spent time with Hope and while they still weren't dating, he hoped that one day they would be married properly. One afternoon, Apophis was in the garden with his children and Hope.

Little Anders had just begun walking at only age one. The kid moved like his knees were just hinges, wobbling to and fro before falling on his padded bottom. Then he'd clapped like it was all part of the plan and rolled to his stomach to get up again. He was dressed in a little kimono. His snow white hair was a little wavy and his long floppy ears reached his shoulders. Anders wobbled after his older brother Dax giggling and gurgling as he tried to play with him.

Apophis watched the scene happily laying in the grass. "So, how's Sandra?" He asked Hope.

A year later, and Hope knew she ought to be happy with how her life had turned out. The children she saw as her own had a father in their lives who had kept to his word and begun to perform his duty properly. She fulfilled her promise to Sandra and got her out of the club, and was able to speak and have lunch with her every day. Hope's own son was adorable and being a mother was the best experience-- even if it wasn't entirely new to her. She felt like a mother to all the children, and she didn't treat her biological son more favourably than any of the others. They were all hers, really, and so that ought to make her happy.

But losing two children was difficult to get over. A year was too short a time to pretend like everything was okay again. Whenever she smiled, it was often forced and she often went silent for long periods, unable to tear herself out of the memory of having to physically bury two children.

But she also knew that she was at least lucky to be left with a family. She wasn't alone and she still had children who loved her and needed her. It was the only reason she hadn't just lost her mind already.

Tearing herself from her thoughts, she glanced over at the King with a faint shrug. "She's okay. We're having lunch tomorrow in the city. She likes it here, it's... nicer for her. And all the butlers fancy her, so she'll have to tell me which one she likes so I can set up a date for her," she began absently, smiling and waving over at her son, even if, just nearby, was Dax, and she couldn't look at him without frowning. The fact Anders, the younger brother, could toddle about and Dax couldn't was concerning, but she still maintained that he would work it out for himself soon.

"...Someone in the tavern asked me out for a date and I agreed. I wasn't going to tell you because my love life's none of your concern, but I suppose you'd better know. His name's Oli. He seems nice. I mean, I would have said no but we're not dating. I'm single, I can... date who I want. It's not a problem, is it? If you have a problem, I can always stay here and not go out with him."

Of course, it bothered him, because he was in love with Hope. But he learned not to be selfish. He loved her and wanted her to be happy. "...Does it really matter what I think?" He asked with a faltered smile. "...If he makes you happy, you should go, enjoy yourself. I'll take care of the children tonight. We can go to the theater and see a play." He smiled before looking at his children.

It was tearing him up on the inside, but he was learning, and he made so much progress in such little time. But...He'd rather busy himself these days and be a better person. It helped him cope with...The lost of his sons. He didn't pretend like it didn't happen, he thought about it every day, but being around his other children helped immensely. "Avery, darling, come here. Your hair is all messy." He chuckled lightly, moving to fix her dark black curls.

In all honesty, going out with the bartender wasn't something she wanted to do. A part of her wanted Apophis to refuse to allow her to go, offer himself up for a date instead, because... well, she did love him. Him changing over the year was hard to refuse, and it definitely reawakened the love she'd always had for him. She just didn't know how to tell him that without looking like a fool, so she thought she'd test his reaction to hearing about her date, see if he still loved her-- so when he seemed to encourage her, it wasn't what she expected at all. She had no choice but to go along on this date now, however much she didn't want to do that-- but a small part of her knew that she could come back having enjoyed herself. She owed Oli the chance to go along to the date and have some fun.

But she clearly hadn't had fun when she returned from the date, hours later, angrily fuming and shoving her coat and bag to the side of the living room. She knew the children would all be in bed by now, which is why she let a few angry cusses leave her lips before flopping down in an armchair opposite the fire. Hope did look rather beautiful in the knee-length bejewelled dress, with her hair done properly and a little makeup, even if her mascara was halfway down her cheeks from angry tears that had spilled over.

"...Can I have some wine? Maybe... a sandwich or something?" She mumbled, refusing to glance up from the fire but knowing enough about Apophis by now to realise he was standing awkwardly in the doorway behind her. "You don't have to linger, I'm... fine. Really. I might have broken my hand, but other than that I'm fine. You know, punching you dragons is pretty hard. I had to climb on a stool to punch that guy and it fucking hurt."

Apophis walked into the room, wearing a thin white silk robe. He was obviously reading for bed, but he was waiting up for Hope, wondering if she would get home safely. He didn't expect her to come in angry. Walking into the grand living room, he stood in front of her to look down at her worriedly. "...Did he say something inappropriate, or touch you? Or did he assume you were there for a different reason other than to have a nice dinner?" Asked the King as he lowered himself on the marble floor to look in her eyes.

He then gently took her hand, grimacing at the puffiness and nasty purple color it was turning. "...You must have sprained it. Well, I'm sure that man deserved a punch in the face." He sat her arm down, looking back at her. "...You looked beautiful tonight. Too bad it's gone to waste. I would make you a sandwich but...I don't know where anything is in the kitchen." He answered honestly. Well, he was royalty, and he never had to make himself something to eat. So he had no idea where anything in the kitchen was, nor did he even know where the kitchen was.

"He thought I was still a prostitute and tried handing me cash to... do stuff with him. Apparently his friends were... clients of mine in the past and he hoped I was still... doing that. It was degrading and insulting and-- it's fine. I broke his nose so it made me feel a bit better about it," she sighed, letting him examine her hand while her spare one rubbed her temples, attempting to massage away the growing headache she had-- though her head snapped up the moment he continued to speak.

"Oh. Oh yeah, you're the King, I forgot that you have all these servants do everything for you-- come on. We're making a sandwich. I'm teaching you how to make a fucking sandwich, Apophis. It'll be fun~" She grinned, slightly tipsy-- which at least explained why she was actually willing to do something with him, rather than shy away and be on her own. "We'll have a sandwich and some wine and... then go to bed. Yeah? I don't want to be alone and cold, and you're basically a natural heater."

Watching her get up, Apophis stood as well, his lips parted in astonishment. Well, mastering how to make a sandwich could be fun, right? Following her as she walked, he looked around the huge kitchen, as if it were his first time seeing it. And...Well, it was. In all his years of living, he's never, not even once, seen his kitchen. "How do we find anything in here?" Whispered the man, as if he wasn't allowed to be in the kitchen like he wasn't the King.

"Okay, okay, sit down, I'll...I'll find the stuff. How hard could it be? I just need bread and...Stuff." It took him about thirty minutes trying to find everything he needed for a damn sandwich, but it was hilarious watching the King look around helplessly. Then the real fun began once he made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The first attempt sucked but the second was decent. He even made himself one and they were currently eating the sandwiches. Chuckling a bit, wiped some jelly off her cheek with a smile. "How's the sandwich? Aren't I like the best cook."