Day 52: The long road.

"There isn't a hospital left, there is a surgery about five minutes away but for all we know there may be nothing there." Matt gets to his feet, "whatever we do we should check the crash." He walks to the crashed vehicle, the two men are still twitching so he cuts their throats, hiding a sick smile the best he can. That smile soon becomes one of joy. Food, guns and enough water to last at least a week. He picks up one of the four guns, an L85 with a full magazine. This was the first sign of a possetive future since everything started.

Aria looked around, noticing Quinn, and his defence. "There's guns. And food...food and water," she says, grinning, and then looking at the two men, "What about them? What if there's something in their pockets?" She is dreaming, probably, that there is a small knife of some sort she can take.

Quinn watched with resignation as Matt slit the throats of the heaping piles of burnt meat in the cab of the wreck they were in. It wasn't the worst thing he'd seen, not even close. In fact, a dark little place deep down in his soul said that it was a mercy, too good for those men.
Quinn approached the car, beholding the same sight that Matt had come across.
It was too good to be believed, but it really was all there.
"Where in the hell did they get this kind of firepower? Only place I can think of that weapons like these would be from is...the national guard depot?"
Quinn grabbed a hold of a 12 gauge pump action and a box of shells. He stuffed the shells into a pocket on his makeshift poncho. It felt better holding a weapon in his hands, especially one with a kick. He didn't have a lot of experience with guns, having only fired a shotgun once at a shooting range and pistols a mere handful of times. Paper targets didn't move or shoot back though, and they certainly weren't so whacked out on drugs that they didn't feel fire on their bare skin.
"If there is a surgery like you say, I'm going for it. Anyone who wants to follow me can come, I'll bring back anything useful I find."
Quinn rummaged for a bottle of water, and in doing so, found another hunting knife in a cheap leather sheath. It was similar to his old one, however far less rusted. He slipped it over his waistband and started on his way.

"Mind if we join you?" Xavier was the first to come forward, he smiled brightly at the group while Scarlet stood behind him with her arms folded, glancing to the side. "They have weapons now, tons in fact, it's best if we stick to them." She kept on thinking about what he said, this kid doesn't act like a kid, at least his mind doesn't. She glanced down at Xavier, maybe she should keep an eye on him from now on.

Aria strugged at Scarlett and Xavier. Jude had never seen her so calm. "The more the merrier," Aria said, and Jude thought she'd never say that. It's like she's me and I'm her. She nodded, though looked puzzled, as her mind worked it out. There's a problem with her. I hope it doesn't get worse. She felt nervous but smiled, so fake.

Matt nods, "we need to stick together. We were lucky to only have one casualty given how far apart we were." He checks the pockets of the corpses, a few paperclips, a knife, and a pack of cigarettes. A revolver lay next to a foot, it only held four rounds, but it would be worth keeping around. He walked back to Alaya who had sat up despite concern, he sighed putting an arm around her.

Aria glanced at Matt and the knife in his hands. "We should leave. Other travellers could follow the truck tracks and there's no promise they'll be friendly," Jude said. She was staring at the truck, not really looking at anything else.

she calls down "even if I did, do you think I would hand you a weapon?" she stares at him with determination "survival of the fittest hon *she throws down a blade. "look out for yourself and remember you don't owe anything to anyone, having a group will slow you down, so don't let them drag you down with them" she disappears.

Aria hears the girl but she's a few seconds too late. She picks up the blade, feeling the handle with her fingers. "It's an older blade." Her mind tells her to keep it, but she hands it to her sister.

With some help Alaya gets to her feet, she looks around finally calm enough to help but as soon as she takes a step a wave of extreme wave of dizziness comes over her, her arms and head feel like led. Ringing echoes constantly in her ears and th taste of blood and metal is hard to ignore. Limping over to the rest of the group she started packing supplies in to various bags.

"You relax," Jude tells Alaya, not firm, not really gentle, not quite an order, not quite a question. "It's been a long day." She's not really looking at what she's doing yet she can do it almost perfectly, as if she's memorised these positions. Aria is much slower, she picks one thing up at a time and spends a few moments deciding where to put it.

"ugh they won't make it long without help" *she stood at the edge of the roof* "what th- not good" *she ran to the hole in the roof using her climbing axe to get down* "people we gotta move". reena knew no one would be in the mood to trust her but now was not the time if they knew what she had seen they would cooperate.

"Who said we've gotta move?" Jude snapped, even though she's packed and is now packing Aria's due to a lack of speed.

Whether they believed her or not by the time they did anything it was too late Not that anyone would have expected it. There had been no sign that the military was still active let alone planning any future attacks or operations.

At that moment a jet flew overhead halting all activity from shock and awe, the jet circled around and delivered a horrific payload of nerve agents and high explosives. The gas is a putrid green and sticks of sulfur and rotting flesh. Matt struggles to get his sister to the ground, protecting her from rubble and gas. he feels his heart in his mouth as he holds his breath, he hoped that this wouldn't last long. He could hold his breath for a good length of time, Alaya on the other hand naturally being smaller could only manage for so long. She and potentially everyone else would either suffocate or suffer the effects of the unknown gas. This wasn't war. It was an extinction event.

Jude grabs Aria and vice versa. The older sister had held her breath before and was doing it again, but Aria isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and panics before realising what's happening. The intake of gas may not be enough to kill her but Jude worries. She wants to tell everyone not to panic, but Jude knows that would be stupid. She doesn't want it to last very long and she wishes she had listened to Reena.

After a few moments, Aria breathes in again. Jude knows she can't keep doing that. She's considering running for the door and seeing if that would boost the chance of survival.

Last edited by a moderator:
reena needed to act fast leaving would allow what was outside to come in then we'd be in trouble and without any zombacide these people wouldn't last long "DON'T TOUCH THAT DOOR!

"Why not?!" Aria yells back before the intake gets to her and she coughs, before lying on the floor in a deathly state. She sacrifices herself for a reason. Jude thought that that was the way she wanted to go, but her eyes still stung as she had back tears, sobs and wails over her sister's clear death. Don't Jude. Then you'll both be dead.

Matt scrambles through the rubble to to Aria and Jude, with all that is happening he has to keep a level head or no one will get though this, he carried a gas mask, the plastic was damaged and one of the lenses was cracked but it still mostly worked. His heart sank as he saw Aria, his first instinct was to check for a pulse, which could still be felt, it was extremely faint but it was there. Fitting the mask around her head he looked at Jude pointing to the ragged bit of cloth he had over his nose and mouth, he took a deep breath before pulling the cloth down and saying: "Piss on something and cover your face, don't ask just fucking do it." He'd breathed in to much, he felt his muscles twitch as the gas got to work. He knew this couldn't last long but knew even without the gas, th dust and rubble would do them no help either.

((In other new you are all doomed, I just found my copy of the Cormac McCarthy's The road...))

Last edited by a moderator:
Jude tore away part of her shorts with the knife Reena had dropped away. She wet it and put it to her face. It didn't smell as bad as the air around her. She breathed, trying to get as much air as possible and lay down next to her. She wanted to go towards the door but was awaiting Reena's explanation.

All around her Alaya heard the sounds of chaos, she could hear her brother somewhere but thick clouds of gas and dust obscured her already impaired vision. Only when she considers hiding in or even the truck does she realize how far they are from it. She was scared as anyone would be, the sounds of her friends were faint but the sounds of unseen phantoms were right next to her or behind or in front. Shadows danced as the sun light danced in the dust and smoke as it shed its last rays. The creatures in the dust, irradiated freaks, cannibals all could be just a meter away. she whimpered as the urge to vomit grew stronger, she held it back fearing what might hear her. On the verge of panic attack she felt a hand grab her wrist, it wasn't her brother...