Day 52: The long road.

"You can try the taps in the café down the street, though I can't guarantee anything," Jude said. She looked at Red, watching each move. She glanced at Matt anxiously. The mistrust misting her mind by now, she is nervous.

Red looks at the little girl witb wide eyes. "Hm surr thanks." She picks up the recees products and hands them to her. She then sighs and puts her hand out. "Im red kid whats your name?"

Jude still watched the events folding out in her, and finally chose to sit down and take a break from trying to help out.

"Uh... I'm... Alaya." She smiles nervously, looking back at her brother who looks blankly back. She feels her palms gut suddenly sweaty, "so um...the kitchen is out this way. It's a bit of a mess and you might have to pull on the tap a bit to get it to work."

"Kay thanks little one." She goes over to the kitchen and whips out her purification bottle. She than pulls on the tap as the water starts to fill the bottle. She puts on the cap and shoves it back in. "See you guys later and little one or alaya make sure you only share some of those"

Jude shuts the door quickly after Red leaves, "Nobody else find that a little bit strange?" she eventually says, her suspicion rising, and she starts to think of all the possibilities. Did she poison the water? Did she break the things she'd offered? Did she threaten Alaya? All the questions, no answers. "Nobody's that nice, right?"

Matt nods his agreement, "it's odd but at the same time there seems to be no reason to do anything. The water is in no drinkable state right from the tap so that'd be pointless, I cant guess why the food would be contaminated, we'd all be dead in a few days anyway..."

"What if she didn't do anything, what if all she did was share what she had as payment for our trust and some water," Alaya burst out, "what if it's just you, selfish and pathetic. Not everyone is a cannibal or a murderer or a thief or something." She stood in silence and lowered her head. She felt the angry looks she was getting.

"The most deceiving thing of all is not being deceived," Jude thought but said, "I doubt that. We can all live, we just need to, like, move around or something. We will die over here. We should try and find clean water, and food."

"Food is doable, there is sure to be some food somewhere, in a house or a shop. Water is the problem, we may find some with any food we find burt we won't be taking anything that isn't in a bottle." Matt looked around the room, calm and collected he put a hand on his sisters shoulder, she was right in a way. Humanity itself had degraded into things it had avoided becoming for all of its existence.

"Exactly. We can't stay here forever though, it will all run out," Jude said, "I think some of us should go on a supply run. I don't trust what we've just been given."

"I'm sure we won't be the first people to think of it, but if we can make it to San Jose Hospital there might be something we can salvage. I used to work there, I know my way around it some. I'm willing to bet there's places most thieves haven't found yet. If nothing else it's a good place to hole up until we can find somewhere else."
It was a risky move though. Quinn had seen fortresses erected pretty quickly, and had avoided them all. He still recalled the grisly sight of heads mounted on spikes out front of an elementary school. He didn't get close enough to see if they were adults or children. That was when he still had two eyes and his clothes weren't the tattered rags they were now.
"Of course, it could already be overrun. Slim chance it's overrun by someone I know. The choice is yours, but I'm not keen on sticking around here too much longer anyway."

As Matt opened his mouth to speak a horn demolished the surrounding calm. A massive pick up truck trundled down the hill, burning. A man had had his eyes held open, the flesh on his chest had all but been removed but most horrifying was that they were all alive, so high on whatever substance that they appeared to be having the time of their lives, whooping an cheering to the grave. Matt new that they had only seen the first wave, it was a simple shock and awe tactic. It worked. He covered his sisters eyes but it was just a moment to late. He'd pressed himself to a wall in an attempt at hiding from the marauders and mad men.

Aria had jumped out of the way of the truck, not yet inside, as she'd seen it roll down the hill. "Aria!" Jude yelled, not really thinking. She then sat down, hiding in a desperate plea that her sister was alright or at least, dead rather than in pain. She pressed herself in the corner, taking a deep breath before holding it. A breath could kill her. Once again, her suspicions rose.

Red watched all of this from the rooftop and smirked at all the doubts they sent along. "Oh my it seems the little home has been broken. I'll step in if it gets to serious." She keeps a close eye on everything that happens.

Jude wanted to check if Aria was okay, because she felt like if something went wrong with Aria she would be guilty, as the older twin. If she was caught, she can't do anything and then they'd both be dead.

Xavier was about to say something when the truck came rushing over, Scarlet pulled him behind cover and told him to be quiet, "Do you dare tell them. It's suppose to be a secret, between you and me." She whispered, "They seem like they really need help." He mumbled, Scarlet crossed her arms, "And you think we don't? Let's be honest here, everyone needs help of some sort."
"They have food, we have water, it's only fair trade"
"Kid, the water source is our jackpot. We can survive without food, but not water."
"Well do you still know where it is?"
"Of course, I drew it down, I got it right here... Shit! Where is it?!" Scarlet began checking all of her pockets, while Xavier ran through the backpacks, "Its not here.." "Bloody hell! That little bitch must have stole it." Scarlet cursed.

The only little bitch that Xavier knows is the girl that sheltered them for a night, along with her father who was very much a modest man, who shared his meal because there weren't enough for everyone else. "What are we going to do now?" He nudged her, "We'll wait and see."

Aria crawled towards Xavier and Scarlott. "What's happened?" she whispered, "What is that?" She wondered what the truck was, and why it was on fire, as she saw a burn on her hand.

"Dunno, just stay hidden for now." Xavier replied, Scarlet nodded, "you don't know these people?" She asked, if the girl said no, then they were in trouble.

"Listen, I'm not very trusting, but I'm also not downright stupid. I point guns, I accuse, yes, but I don't do...that," Aria said. "I thought it was you guys..."

"Well, people think, that's what we do. At least now we know that they are dangerous strangers... Here, out some of this stuff on your burn." Scarlet held out a small container of clear, slightly greenish liquid. "It's aloe juice." Xavier corrected her, "thanks for the clarification."