D.A.P.P.E.R [OOC and Signup]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to say I never really left. I just never saw anyone posted.

I would keep the thread subscribed in that case~~

I will just go ahead and push this forward then. I canot wait this long for players. Sorry anyone getting left behind!

I'm sorry...I'm not sure I can stay in this one anymore. I can't think of any replies and I'm also stuck on my phone for the foreseeable future, so my posts won't be that great anyway. Sorry. :(

Sorry to hear that. I wish you best of luck in the future. Thanks for your contributions to the RP. I will now proceed to terribly murder both the poorly armed nerds. Sorry everyone :((

I made a draft round, and prolly have three more players :D

I'll be posting IC tommorow.

A new soul, signing up.

Name: Kim, Jiwon AKA: James
Appearence;

51k-road1-pic5.jpg

James is an average sized male in American standards at 174 cm, but for a mostly ethnic Korean he is relatively tall compared to other Korean males. He also typically looks well-groomed especially when he has to meet important people, but when he's off dealing with the unknown he let's his body return to a more "natural" state since it helps to maintain a certain image that James has determined to help when talking with spirits. Other than that, he has relatively typical traits of an East Asian male.

Age; 31
Rank; (This will be provided to you by GM.)
Brief Background;

Jiwon is the product of generations of a noble Korean family. However, instead of being a prominent, political family in Korea, James' family was a well known patron of Buddhism and the spiritual in the region. Thus, it isn't surprising that he grew up in a very spiritual and educated background that practically shaped his path in life. His childhood was spent in the Japanese occupied period in Korea, and because of that he was no stranger to the societal miasma that spread from the death and despair from the war. He could practically smell the misery in the air everyday. Still him and his family were spared from the worst as they were saved due to their well known position in the Buddhist community in Asia. However, this specialty also forced them to be targeted for their abilities as Jiwon's family was often involved, begrudgingly, in experiments by the infamous Unit 731 where the Japanese tried to utilize spiritual beings for use in the war.

When the war ended, the Kim family was left to deal with the spiritual aftermath. Temples were looted, monks and priests were missing, and a generation was left to pick up the ruins. The Kim family took it upon themselves to help the people. They provided the spiritual and psychological guidance for thousands who were caught in the middle of the bloody war. But as the years passed, more and more paranormal reports were popping up around the region. From reports of malicious wolf spirits from the Ainu and the yuki-onna in the northern extremes of Japan to Jiangshi in Nanking. The Kim family started a spiritual cleansing crusade in the region as it was obvious that the malignant miasma from the war was a likely catalyst for the sudden spike in supernatural sightings. However, the mission has been... precarious to say the least. Korea soon split into a distinct North and South with different pretenders rising to lead the post occupied Korea. Still it wasn't hard to choose a side. One was a Communist leader who began a religious purge. The Kim family had to side with the Southern leader, "President" Rhee, who, although was a despot who threatened to kill anyone else who exhibited any capabilities of harming his power, wasn't launching a full on war against religions and spirituality.

The Kim family's efforts were stifled when the Korean War started as it was clear that traveling would be difficult. When the war ended another million souls were lost and the miasma simply grew. It was in this interim that Jiwon began properly training in the spiritual arts. He heard ancient scrolls and read the Great Learnings. However, what truly captivated him was the folklore of the various religions and culture in the area. To James, it seemed that all these spirits were disturbed by some sort of human activity, but there were numerous ways to allow the spirits to come to peace. There were violent ways that relied on finding some inherent weakness of the spirit such as a reliance on a physical anchor. However, there were stories and reports of people being able to talk and convince spirits to move on or at least not bother anyone anymore. This method of finding ways to convince spirits through reasoning or talking intrigued him. Thus, he began to develop his unique techniques. It wasn't the typical, brute force methods such as performing exorcisms or rituals. Rather, he took a bit more of a psychological approach and found way to pacify angered spirits through talking and diplomacy.

When the first Republic formed, James was sent away on a goodwill mission to the US. Although official documents state that it was a diplomatic exchange program, the Kim family knew that the President was simply trying to remove any threats to him as he consolidated power in the nation that just survived its first war. Regardless, James took advantage of the opportunity. For two years, Jiwon, who picked up the name James since a lot of people were having difficulty pronouncing his name, attended the University of Notre Dame where he studied theology. There he had his first extensive experience with the Western religions and folklore. When James returned to Korea, he believed that he was truly ready to start. He began his travels throughout Asia to pacify violent spirits and cleanse areas of the miasma while sometimes enlisting help from friends and friendly supernatural beings. For a few years, he was diligent, but at a certain point he came to realize that he couldn't manage it on his own. He was only one man when there were dozens of cases popping up every day. James returned to Korea and decided that it was time to take a more strategic route. Using his family's religious prestige and connections, James began to revitalize the Buddhist community in Korea. Due to his initial success, the government caught wind. The Second Republic, led by another "President", a former Major General of the Korean Army who won a coup, began cracking down on Buddhism. The new President stated that the Buddhist community was a "Japanese infiltrated" organization that had no place in Korea since the new government saw the rise of Buddhism as a threat to their regime. Thus, the Kim family started a political war to protect the Buddhists in Korea. James had to quickly learn to become a clever diplomat who made deals behind closed doors. He talked to the US diplomats, paid off government officials, and carefully established his relations since his own life was at stake... after all what kind of dictatorship would tolerate a family that was the forehead of a religion that could destabilize its regime?

By 1961, the Kim family survived. Another Republic was established through another military coup, but the new elected "President" Park was much more liberal than the two prior dictators. Thus, James survived the political war of attrition, and the Buddhist religion began to grow again. However, by this point, the US government caught wind of what the Kim family had been trying to do. It was through a diplomatic acquaintance that James first met a member of D.A.P.P.E.R. and learned about the organization. Seeing how the organization's goals and his ultimately aligned, it isn't surprising that James joined the organization.

Skills will include:
Area of Expertice; Diplomatic Liason
Major skill; Diplomacy, Networking/Relationship Building
Minor Skill; Eastern Spirituality/Folklore, Theology

Inventory will include;
Weapons;

A Hwando, a Korean Saber that is a family heirloom. However, it takes a fairly decorative appearance and does not look that threatening and appear to be more ceremonial. However, it is a religious heirloom and seems to just be invested with spiritual energy that even harms ethereal spirits.

A Colt Commander, which he rarely uses, but keeps it hidden on his body when things get physically bad. The last time he had to use it was when he was on a mission and got ambushed by a squad of Red Star Brigade members in the middle of a forest.

Specialized Equpiment;
Buddhist Prayer Beads (Japa Mala)
A Pack of Incense Sticks that are used to call forth and calm spirits.
Pack of Waterproof Matches
A Small Canteen of Sake that is usually used as an offering
A Small Stack of 5 Buddhist Paper Talismans that are supposed to protect/stop malicious spirits
A voice recorder
A Small notepad and pen

A slight Delay. I got called out for work today. I will have the next IC up tommorow.

Well. It shouldn't be TO hard. Alot just happened. The a malevolent spirit just attacked the group, you have a bunch of splinter to dodge if you don't want to end up like Carl. There is chaos, and you guys are in serius need for either "Spiritual Mojo" of "Light in the fucking darkness" :D

I am in. Just got back to Iwaku! I'll work on a post this afternoon.

Hey @Hellis, I am working on a post but I want to make sure I understand. The teams were going down a corridor/hallway. Sprinkled through out the corridor are doors leading to rooms. The team reached the end of the corridor and got attacked. Now we need to (I think) go back the way we came?

I am just having a little trouble understanding the lay out of the encounter. Perhaps a small diagram will help?

We werent quite at the end of the corridor, the closest route is to go trough the corridors end door. otherwise we pass more doors on our way back, places so far used to ambush us.

We werent quite at the end of the corridor, the closest route is to go trough the corridors end door. otherwise we pass more doors on our way back, places so far used to ambush us.
Okay, and are there side doors between us and the end door?

None, The one that exploded, and the one that the tendrils came from was the last ones before the end door.

Ok, last question, does Josef need to be saved?

I posted. It's not much though. Did what I could with out assuming control of the spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.