Would you like to see a low fantasy element added to this RP?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fly

Original poster
CONTACT!
A Super Sci-fi Action Group Roleplay!
Now with a change log!

• [dash=red]The History[/dash]​

In the groovy summer of 1976, America was in an uproar over the Declaration of Independence's 200th birthday. Citizens walked the streets with spangled banners and stars in their eyes. Children wearing red, white and blue ran through blocked off cul de sacs with sparklers in their little hands. The nation felt unstoppable, invincible and, most importantly, patriotic as hell.

Less than three weeks later, The Viking 1 landed on Mars and took the first full-color close up photos of the surface, becoming the first craft to successfully land on Mars and perform its mission. Then, something happened that gripped the nation in a chill. NASA's Viking 1 was intercepted and its feed was lost.

Months go by with little but dead air. NASA officially announces the lander's fate as battery failure, and the nation moves on.

Until, quite suddenly, NASA picks up a signal from the Viking 1. Readings show the craft returning to Earth, but something was changed... or rather, added. A transmission.

"Human kind," the haunting alien voice rang across the nation, played on every TV in every American household, "we come in peace."

Contact.

For the first time in human history, humans and aliens communicate. The message went on to inform the world's leaders that the Galactic Federation, as it is known, intended no harm and, in fact, wished to share information with the people of the world. The message left instructions on how to respond and in no time America was making plans and signing contracts with offworlders.

A decade later, America is producing its first intergalactic ships. The super-rich begin buying their tickets out of the galaxy. NASA works together with many major entities, including everything from corporations to philanthropic aliens, to start putting together the Starlight Program to make space travel affordable for all. Humanity spreads across the universe like rats on plague ships, particularly to the moon of Futura due to the comparatively low living expenses there.

In this RP, which takes place about 25 years after the launch of the Starlight Program, you may choose between playing as a human - either one freshly arrived from Earth or one a little more established - as an alien, or as some kind of bot. The story will begin in the center of Ota, in an area called Capita. Please read through the tabs for more information on the city of Ota, the area of Capita, and all the inhabitants.

• [dash=red]The Roleplay[/dash]

mcbja9p.png

Nothing is set in stone and I am constantly adding to this! I would love for this universe to expand so please don't feel tied down to what I have here. If you have any questions, comments, or would like to show interest, please comment below! Also feel free to PM me. I'm very friendly. :)

Rules
    • 4-6 roleplayers.
    • Maximum of 2 characters per person unless we privately discuss otherwise.
    • Willing to expand to more characters/players depending on response.
    • I reserve the right to accept or decline characters.
    • No anime images, please.
    • 18+, explicit scenes to be expected.
    • Be excellent to each other.
    • You know the rest.
    Wants
    • Intrigue
    • Action
    • Adventure
    • Natural romance

dQGMx6r.png

• [dash=red]The World[/dash]

FX2tQnn.png

The story begins in the megacity of Ota. The city spans nearly the entirety of the small moon of Futura within the Agamemnon galaxy. Ota has become something of a safehaven for humans fresh from Earth, as the cost of living under the Galactic Federation is significantly lower on Futura due to a combination of tax breaks for humans and poor living conditions for all.

Futura orbits a gas giant that in turn orbits a star comparable to Earth's sun. Due to the rotation and geographical layout of the moon, Northern Ota is bright and dry; Southern Ota is cloudy and wet, Eastern Ota has twenty hour nights and West has extended daylight hours.

[dash=white]Northern Ota[/dash]

The Desert North is the poorest of the poor. It is unofficially ruled by a large hoverbike gang known as the Black Steeds that consists of both humans and human sympathizers. The group formed out of desperate circumstances, including overpopulation, starvation and illness, and use their numbers to try and level the playing field by both legal and illegal means. Participating in everything from political debates to back-alley beat downs, The Black Steeds are nearly inescapable on their home turf. Generally not the kind of people one would want to upset.

Full-fledged, jacket-wearing members are, for the most part, treated favorably and with respect in Northern Ota, but have been known to push people's boundaries here and there. Fledgling members can occasionally throw their weight around, but don't have the same clout as more senior members. Promotion comes when earned, which can happen in a variety of ways. An act of impressive bravery can result in a promotion, for example.

I will be playing a senior member (Bruce Hayes) but there is room for more than one! The Black Steeds are hundreds strong so there is plenty of room for multiple senior members and fledgling members. Please click over to "The Characters" tab for more information on my character.

[dash=white]Southern Ota[/dash]
    [imga]http://i.imgur.com/puEK0zx.jpg[/imga]The rainy South is where you go for things more questionable - whiskett tails, yeo talons, drugs, sex, the list goes on. The Inotep family pulls a lot of the strings in this area of the city, though their spread isn't quite as great as The Black Steeds. Despite being smaller, they are quite a force to be reckoned with thanks to their small army of hired alien goons and deep political connections. Inoteps often lock horns with various members of The Black Steeds, as the family controls a majority of southern water sources and tends to use that fact against the desert dwellers.

All members of the Inotep family are available to be played. If you'd like to reserve the head of the family or some other major role within the group, please PM ME. If you choose to run the family, you may run it however you see fit. You are the leader, after all.

[dash=white]Eastern Ota[/dash]

[imga]http://i.imgur.com/Zhfg9gI.jpg[/imga]Also known as the "Industrial District", the East is little aside from a manufacturing wonderland. Most workers live in the area, but some with more money tend to commute from closer to Capita, where the air is clearer. Despite the largely industrial look and feel of the area, this is actually the agricultural capital of Ota.

The farms, which are all indoors, are largely made up of genetically modified fruits and vegetables and other naturally occurring foods. It has a fraction of classic earth foods, like carrots and potatoes, but most of the flora is from off-world parents.

Not only do workers come out of this area, but also successful traders and merchants. Children are often taught a craft by their parents or human-loving aliens.

If you'd like to suggest other types of industrial work (such as vehicle or weapon building) please comment below!

[dash=white]Western Ota[/dash]

The West, or rather, the party kingdom, is all about sin and decadence. This is where the bad boys go, where the high-rollers reign and waterfalls are made of gold coins. Largely self-governing, West Ota is the place to go to misbehave - though it'd be wise to watch your back here as others take the near lawlessness to its extent.

West Ota, unlike its counterparts, is greatly influenced by the whims of the Inotep family. Because this part of the city is self-governing, it's easy for the family to abuse and manipulate the system. Exercise caution when dealing with potential family members, as they can really dole out the punishment without the watchful eyes of Wrakes.

[dash=white]Capita[/dash]

zjKylcC.jpg

Everyone ends up in Capita for some reason, whether it be for food or water, fabric or art. It is the cultural center of Ota, though it's occasionally dangerous due to spillover criminals from the other areas. This is the only part of Ota directly controlled by the Galactic Federation. It is guarded by Wrakes, a quick yet large and muscular species that is intolerant of tomfoolery (more info under The Characters tab).

Wrakes are considered NPCs and will be played by me. Be aware of them on their perches, but follow the law and they'll leave you be... for the most part.

MgMHUG4.png

• [dash=red]Change log[/dash]
    9/30/2016
    Added change log for accessibility.
    Added poll.
    Added more information on Eastern and Western Ota.
    Added CS template to The Characters tab.
    Added Hellexa to The Characters tab.

10/7/2016
    Added magic tab.
    Added magic system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. The posting speed tags are a little discouraging, but I think I'll keep an eye on this anyway.

Oh, don't mind the tags! The posting speed ones were there mostly for thread visibility. Glad you're interested!

To be honest, "sci-fi group adventure" was enough to hook me. Would it be too soon to ask what sort of motivations and goals you have in mind for the roleplay? Good thinking on the group size, by the way. Having more than that seems like it can become hectic, if everyone's interest sticks.

i definitely want some conflict between The Black Steeds and the Inotep family, and i'd like to have some space exploration. otherwise, not sure!

and yeah, 4-6 seemed like a good number to me! i've been in RPs with more than ten players and they were way too difficult to manage.

Ok I found you...So I wouldn't be much help with your rival factions but I will populate your east side. I could have a high tech person too if you wanted. An AI guru of sorts for trade and exploration.

Do you have an IC post yet and do you want CS here?

cool, that sounds good! no IC post yet, but you can go ahead and PM me a CS whenever you have one. there's a CS template up on the Characters page!

I have private messaged you in the glory of all that is right!

Reactions: fly
Let me truly read through all this, but I'd like to express interest. Especially if I could play an artificial being.

CS sent. Had some issues though.

based on the poll it looks like almost everyone is in favor of adding low fantasy elements. if anyone would like to openly object or has any ideas in regards to this, please respond to this comment and let me know! otherwise, i'll likely be adding a basic magic system within the next couple days.

Heyo Peeps, I'd definitely be interested in joining.
(You had me at Hoverbike.)
I'll send my CS ASAP.

Not sure i'd be all about the faction v faction stuff.. but definitely looks interesting!

@fly
Ever thought about using something similar to magi-tech for the lower fantasy ideals? Maybe like you mentioned in my RP Search post- using some sort of sacred or magic stones? Maybe there's a certain planet that grows crystals that are harvested for having 'x,y,z' power? That maybe it powers certain weapons, or vehicles? Or certain gauntlets or pieces of armor that give certain muted or limited powers? Like a gauntlet firing a plasma bolt like once or twice a day, or armor that can produce a small shield temporarily, or something that can produce a chemlite-like glow? Something that isn't terribly overt like fireballs and super magic-y stuff...?

yeah, those are some solid ideas! i'll try to get some solid stuff about the magic up in my thread today or tomorrow. as for the faction stuff, don't stress about it too much. it's not all going to be faction v faction, but they will butt heads from time to time. how much they come in contact with each other and actually fight is going to be up to the players, otherwise it's not a big deal.

i really like the magitech idea, i think that'll solve some of the roadblocks i've been hitting. thanks!

Maybe you could also use the idea of magic circuits. The idea that special geometical shapes drawn on certain materials ((Maybe these crystals, for instance)) give these seemingly ordinary items a unique property. Like, maybe a 'Fire' shape causes a 'blue' crystal to produce a wall of fire when attached to a gun. But that same 'fire' shape just produces a simple flamethrower when used in the same way but on a 'red' crystal.

added a magic system and edited change log to reflect that!

let me know what you guys think about the magic! i'm willing to change things around to make sure you guys are happy!

Magic nitro injector capsule gems. The bigger the better - and more dangerous!

Oh yes.

I like the ideas, but not sure i'm on board. It's getting too magic-y for my tastes in sci-fi [harnessing elemental spells, etc]. which is fine- cuz i think that's what you guys had in mind! Maybe just not my thing, is all. I was not imagining the crystals being like a spell in a stone form- which is a pretty cool idea, by the way.

I think i imagined things a little lower fantasy. Like supplemental magic. Like a crystal being able to possibly give certain property effects to an object?/.. yeah i'm not sure. Or be used as a power source for certain machinery. i dno. I'll keep watching though!

Status
Not open for further replies.