Coming Home(ftb)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

KatherinWinter

The best treasures are buried within
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
Online Availability
It varies
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Beginner
  3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Romance
Griffin wasn't looking forward to going home. He had planned to never return to his hometown. It was the last place he wanted to be be. But he had been injured in battle and the doctors weren't sure if he would ever have full use of his leg. He accepted medical discharge as much as he hated it. He had planned to go to Chicago or some place and open or work at a motorcycle repair shop. But before he could decide where to start his life over he got a message saying that his father had died so he had to go home.

When his plane landed he was suppose to go to the lawyer. But he needed a drink before he fast his past. Since his pain reliever couldn't be mixed with alcohol, not that he was a drinker, he decided to go the coffee shop. Living in a small town meant that there was only one shop. A unique place named the Roasted Bean. He headed there hoping the caffeine would help him through the next couple of hours. Leaning heavily on his cane he made his way into the shop.

Christina had no idea that today would be the day that changed her life forever. She left her small ranch style house on the outskirts the small town called jasper . Where there were fields for days and the most beautiful sunrise you would ever see; and the small town where everything was within walking distance if you needed it . It wasn't the most popular place to be but it was home it was always there to welcome you home.

Christina hadn't made much out of her life after high school she hadn't left the small town of jasper like she had planned to for many year she decided this town was where she was meant to be . It hadn't changed much over the years some things had been added to the town they updated the old movie theater and added a few more shops around town. This was the town she had grown to love it was small but comfortable.

It was 11:00am and Christina needed her morning coffee to start her day. As she sat at the table sipping on her coffee as the door to the coffee shop swung open and the bell ring as the face from the past walked into the shop she sat there frozen in her seat, she never thought she would see his face around this town again. She let out a small sigh as she saw him walking slowly, as she walked up the the girl behind the counter and whispered something into her ear. she had paid for Griffin's coffee and had the cashier give it to him. "sir this has been paid for by the young lady over at that table", she said as she pointed at Christina's table she was sitting at waiting to see how he would react to her. She was upset she was happy she had so many mixed emotions she felt .

Griffin was surprised when the clerk handed him a cup and refused to accept his payment. He looked in the direction she pointed. He swallowed when he saw Christina sitting at the table. He hadn't thought he would see her again after being deployed. He hadn't meant to leave without saying goodbye. But he had been shipped out faster than he had expected. He thought he would have had days rather than hours.

He slowly made his way over to her. He didn't know what to say to her. There was so much he had never been able to tell her. She had been his best friend. He had dreamed of one day allowing her to be more but he knew that it would never happen. It couldn't. Or so he thought. Now everything had changed. But he wasn't sure that was enough.

Christina didn't think she would ever see Griffin again. Many times she thought she would leave and start a new life outside of jasper but for some reason she just couldn't see leaving her hometown no matter how much she wanted to just leave and start out in a new life after Griffin left.

As he sat down at her table it took a lot more than she thought it would to burst down screaming and crying and hitting him but she knew that wasn't like her at all ...well at least not anymore the first month after he had left were the hardest for her, Christina took a small sip of her coffee before setting it down on the table.She didn't even really know what to say to him but then she opened her mouth and spoke "you know I forgive you for what happened back then i knew it wasn't something you had control over i just wish you could of contacted me in someway or another" she said, as she paused as she turned towards him ."you were my best-friend Griff and through everything we could of been there for each other" she said as she placed her hand on his thigh she was upset that he had gotten hurt but it came with the job but in so many ways she wished there was a way she could help him.

Christina knew Griffin to well and he was strong and well sometimes to stubborn for his own good she knew why he was in town she had heard about his fathers passing and she was truly heartbroken he was almost like a Father to her since her father had died years ago overseas so it had just been Christina and her mom and Grffin's dad had looked out for them and she was truly grateful for him. Griffin was trying to be strong but she knew deep down he was hurting.

Griffin sighed. He didn't know what to say to Christina. She had always liked his dad. She had no idea the evil the man as capable of. She would never believe him if he told her. Like everyone else she had only seen the respectable business man. "I would have said goodbye if I had been given a chance but the judge decided that it was best if I was shipped out right away."

At the end of his senior year in high school he had gotten into a lot of trouble. He had been the rich man's rebel son. Some of the trouble had been his own but not all of it. He had gotten caught with a gun that had been used in a robbery. His fingerprints had been on the gun even though he had never seen the piece before. No one believed him because of his reputation. His choices had been prison or the military.

"I'm surprised to see you here. I thought you would have moved on to better things." He commented wanting to change the subject. He didn't want to think about the past. It was going to be hard enough to get through this. He needed to focus on other things. Like why Christina was still here.

Christina could tell by the look on Griffin's face that he was hating going back down memory lane, she had remembered all of the rumors that had gone around town about the time he had left for the military. She didn't want to believe any of it and Christina knew griffin he wouldn't mix himself up in something like that; she figured when he felt up to it he would tell her what really happened.

To be honest she was surprised in all that had happened in her life that she was still at home and deep down she knew why she hadn't left she just couldn't see leaving her mom alone and in the town that had so much gossip she didn't want her mom to think it was the worse situation on why she would of left home when it was never the case...
Christina finished her coffee and she walked over to the trash and threw it away and then walked back to the table and sat down as she faced Griffin "you know i tried to but for some reason i felt like that maybe some day you would come home and i just couldn't see myself leaving" He was the one positive thing in her life that made her life better in every sense

"I wasn't going to come back." Griffin admitted without looking at her. He hadn't thought there was a reason to. He knew that no one here would let him lived down his past. It was the way small towns were. He could have lived with the looks and the gossip but he couldn't live with the lies. He couldn't stand having people think he had done something he hadn't done.

"I don't know how long I'll stay." He admitted. He hoped not to have to stay long. But since he was here he wanted to spend time with Christina. She had been his best friend most of his life. She was one of the few people that he trusted. He was sure that she had moved on with her life but they could still be friends.

"How is your mom?" Her mom had almost been like a mother to him since his had passed away when he was only six. He had been every close to her mom until trouble started to follow him. Than he had gone out of his way to avoid her just so that his darkness wouldn't affect her.

If Christina thought about it she wasn't sure he would even show up after everything that had happened between Griffin and his father.She knew that they had a rocky relationship and when he left she kinda felt horrible he had made an effort to be close to her and her mom; but it was neither here nor there now that he was gone. She hurt for him and wanted to help him heal but she had no idea what or how she could help but she would try.

she looked at Griffin even though he wouldn't look at her, "i kinda had a feeling that you might not come but I'm glad that you decided to well as long as your here we'll have to try and find sometime for us to do and catch up on lost time" she said smiling hoping he would want to take time out of doing what he came down to close off this chapter of his life she just hoped she wasn't one of those people he wanted to forget because to this day she still loved him but she never got the chance to tell him.

Christina remembered all the times her mom was there for him, and all the good memories they had together. As they would go back and fourth between her house and her grandmothers ranch; that was on the same piece of land that her grandmother had owned. They spend many long nights laying out in the field underneath the apple tree watching the stairs almost every night since she could remember. "my mom is good its been a little bit of work for the both of us since Grammy passed she gave us the ranch and the land so I've had to keep up on but i really love it" she said .

Smiling as she paused "you know she would love to see you but if you don't feel up to the trip down memory lane i completely understand this is a lot for you I'm sure" she said as she got up to leave feeling as though she was putting to much pressure and stress on him since he had just gotten into town.

"I didn't exactly have a choice but to come back. Apparently father named me his heir and I am expected to take over the family business." Griffin explained. That was the last thing that he wanted but he didn't know if he could get out of it. He hated his father and wanted nothing to do with the 'family' business. He would walk away if he could be he didn't think he would be allowed to do so.

"I would love to spend some time with you. Is rather spend time you rather than the rest of the crap I have to deal with. I have a meeting with father's lawyer but I'm free this evening." Griffin told her honestly. He wanted to catch up with her. He was glad she was happy. He couldn't imagine being happy here. There were too many bad memories here. The good ones he had with her weren't enough.

"I am glad that your mom is doing ok. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma." He had spent a lot of time at Christina's house. He had avoided being home whenever he could. None of them had asked why he preferred to be with them than home. Which he was grateful for. He would have had to lie and he hated lying. Especially to those he cared about her. He had been in love with Christina for years. She had been the only good thing in his life.

Last edited:
Christina felt bad that Griffin didn't have much choice in coming home. She knew that ever since they were younger all Griffin wanted to do in his life was make a name for himself and to leave jasper and never look back but fate had home how brought him back.

"I know it's not where you want to be of all places, but maybe things will get sorted out for the better" she said . Deep down she had hoped that it would take as long as possible because that meant that she could spend as much time as possible with him. On the other hand she knew that he just wanted to get everything done and leave it where it belonged, in his past where she was sure he wanted it to stay. She honestly did miss him more than she wanted to admit after all he was her first love and her best friend.

Christina was glad that he wanted to cat up with as much as she wanted to do the same as well. She wasn't sure what they would do but they could figure that out later. "I can't wait" she said with her cute upbeat smile, as she quickly handed Griffin a small napkin with her cellphone number on it. "Keep me posted and if there is anything you need let me know, let's figure something out for tonight" she said as she gave him a quick hug as she headed for the door to start her which was already starting out on the right foot.

Griffin tucked the napkin into his pocket as he watched Christiana leave. He almost called her back but stopped himself. He hadn't given into his feeling. There was no reason to do so now.. If she had felt anything besides friendship all those years ago those feelings were long dead. She had mostly moved on. He wouldn't be surprised if she was seriously involved with someone. She deserved to be happy. Unlike him.

He finished his coffee. Slowly he got to his feet. Pain shot through him again but he ignored it. He ignored the looks of pity he got as he throw away his cup and made his way out of the shop. He wished he had his bike but until his leg healed, if it did, that wasn't an option so he slowly made his way to the lawyer's house.

He spent the next few hours arguing with his father's lawyer. But the truth was there was no loophole. He was well and truly trapped. Frustrated he left the lawyers. He didn't want to go home and he was too tired to deal with finding a hotel. So he called Christina hoping that she would let him stay there.

As Christina left the coffee shop it took a few minutes for her to actually get up and walk away from the shop, she almost turned back around and ran into Griffin arms; like she bad been wanting to since she had first saw him. Her heart did something that she hadn't felt in years it was an odd feeling, maybe those feelings that she thought she had tucked away after all those years were actually still there.

Christina found herself going about her day like normal, but in the back of her mind she was thinking and worrying about how things with Griffin were going. After a few hours of hauling boxes from her home to into the farmhouse thst was now hers. She kept herself busy hauling hay and cleaning around the farm every once in a while she would check to see if she had missed anything from Griffin.

The day had came and went and the day had become night, she was finishing up the last bit of chores in the barn stalls filling them with food and water. Ad she hauled in the hay from her truck when her phone rang, she didn't recognize the number that's when she realized it was Griffin on the other end. By the tone of his voice she could tell things didn't go very well wirhtbr lawyer, she told Griffin to come by the house and they would talk and she would make them something to eat.

Griffin had just made it into her property when Christina was walking up to the house from the barn. "Take a seat on the swing I am going to change real quick and then we can talk" she said as she took his hand and helped him up the steps and into the swing as she made a quick change of clothes and returned before to long.

After calling Christina, Griffin called a cab. There was no way he could make it all the way to her place. He stood outside the lawyer's office waiting for the cab. He had to take over the bank. If he didn't innocent people like Christina would suffer. He didn't know if the town would like a man who had been accused of robbery running the bank but they had as little choice in the matter as he did.

He climbed into the cab when it arrived and gave the driver Christina's address. The driver tried to engage him in conversation but he had never been much of a talker. Eventually the guy gave up and started singing to the radio.

When they arrived he paid the driver and gave him a decent tip. Then he headed to the house. Her house hadn't changed over the years. Not that he had expected the outside to look different. Good memories made him feel alittle better as he made his way to the door. He knocked, something he had never done before, on the door and waited.

Christina changed into some sweatpants and plain white t shirt, as she looked at herself in the mirror "I guess this is as good as it's going to get" she said as she made her way to the front door; as she left out a heavy sigh if only he knew how much effect he had on her and her heart.

When she answered the door and saw Griffin he looked as though he had been through hell and back again. She didn't need him to tell her what had happened at the lawyer's, it was written all over his face. Christina pulled Griffin into a warm hug he smelled amazing and he had this feeling about him she wasn't sure what it was but she didn't want it to go away.

She shut the door as she ushered him inside, the living room was warm and inviting Christina had the fireplace roaring. "make yourself at home I should have dinner read in just a few minutes hope your hungry I made your favorite" she said smiling at him as she watched him sit down on the couch as she rushed back into the kitchen to finish up making her famous homemade biscuits and gravy

As she made her way into the kitchen her mother came out of the kitchen all smiles and hugs like she always was she was such a bubbly person to be around. "is that our griffin" she said as swooped him up into one of her bone crushing hugs. She smelled of homemade fresh apple pie which she insisted on making once Christina had told her that he was in town and she was more than thrilled once she told her that he would be coming by for dinner. As she sat down with him on the couch "I'm so sorry to hear about your father " she said as the two of them sat and talked until she excused herself to give the two of them their own alone time together.

After what seemed like hours Christina finally emerged from the kitchen carrying a TV tray filled with two plates stocked full with his favorite as well as sparkling apple cider "I'm sorry I don't have anything stronger everything else is at the old house" she said as she placed the food down in front of them on the living room table as they enjoyed the fire and the food together.

Griffin returned Christina's hug. It was a little awkward. What could he say he was out of practice. The military wasn't know for giving out hugs. He followed her inside. His movements were slow and painful. He didn't his best to hide it but it was more obvious now than it had been earlier.

Lowering himself to the couch was alot harder then sitting in a chair because the couch was lower to the ground but he managed to do it without making a complete fool of himself or falling. He hated his limitations. Hated being weak in any way. He had worked to get a place where he felt strong.

Griffin struggled to his feet when Christina's mom came into the room. He gave her an awkward hug before sitting down once again. He nodded when she said she sorry about his father. Like Christina, she had only seen the good side of his father. "Thank you. I appreciate that."

They talked about small unimportant things until Christina brought the food out to them. He wished she hadn't done that. But he felt like he couldn't say anything without looking ungrateful and that wasn't something he wanted. He knew that Christina wasn't trying to demean him in anyways. She thought she was helping. "Thank you for supper Christina. I am still as hopeless in the kitchen as I used to me."

As they finished eating she leaned against the couch " i love cooking and being in the kitchen if you want i can teach you while your here if you'd like" she said as she paused " i have some apple pie as leverage if you help me clean up" she said as she winked at Griffin as she jumped up and made her way into the kitchen.

As Christina made up the kitchen sink filled with soap and water as she began to fill it with dirty dishes, when all of a sudden Griffin dropped some of the plates and silverware into the sink, which made the water splash into her face which left sudsy bubbles on her cheek "you did that on purpose ya brat" she said in a high pitched giggly tone. As they finished the last bit of dishes, she got a school girl idea in her head.

Griffin always made her act silly and made her heart race, even when they were younger he always seemed to have that effect on her. She still remembered one day of many of there memories together when she was having griffin over and she was being her typical dorky goofy self and she walked right into the screen door right as he walked up to the door and of course turned into a red faced giggling mess those were the happy days and the griffin she had been so much in love with he had been there laughing at the same point she still wasn't sure if he was laughing at her or with her or both but that's what she loved about him how care free she could be around him and he wouldn't judge her.

When he stood next to her at the sink to help was off the last bit of soap. She flung water up at him "payback sunshine" she said laughing and before they knew it they were in a full on water fight, in the kitchen laughing and giggling like they used to. As she went to turn around she found herself in friffin's arms by accident she couln't but fall into him staring up into his eyes.

Griffin nodded. Although it wouldn't be easy he agreed that he should be the one to do the dishes. Once everyone was done eating he gathered up the dishes up. Standing was painful and his leg didn't really want to do it but he forced it to cooperate. He refused to accept pity nor would he allow them to wait on him. He had been independent his whole life. He wasn't going to let his injury end that.

He slowly made his way into the kitchen with the dishes. He carried them to the sink. He set them in the water which splashed more water than he intended. He gave Christina a small smile when she teased him about doing it on purpose. Years ago that would have been the case. But this time it had been unintentional.

He grabbed a dish towel and gently wiped the soap and water from her face. He wished that he was the boy he had been. But too much had happened and the boy who once laughed with her no longer existed. No he wished things were different but even though he was stuck here there was no future for them.

Christina knew how stubborn Griffin was so it didn't surprise her when he mad an effort to help her clean up. There were certain things that she missed about the younger and carefree Griffin but she knew no matter what; all of that was going to stay in the past but she hoped she would be one thing from his past that he wouldn't leave there he meant way to much to her .

She smiled up at Griffin as he wiped the soapy water off her face. She knew he had changed in many ways but she hoped that there was still something between them that had not changed over the years.

After they had finished up cleaning Christina pulled the pie from the over. As she sliced into it the smell filled the entire house with the smell of cinnamon and apples. She handed Griffin a plate "your payment dear sir" she said as walked towards the back porch "come with me" she asked as she waited at the back door for him.

The back porch was where they spent most of their nights when they were younger talking venting and just being together. There was a comfortable porch swing with and the night sky that never steered them wrong, along with a small wire fire pit that was placed just where it needed to be to keep them warm for the long hours they spent outside.

Griffin took the plate with the pie. The smell brought back happier memories. He missed those days. But he knew there was no going back. He had changed too much. Going to war had only added to damage his past had done to him. Even if Christina hadn't moved on, which he was sure that she had there was no reason she wouldn't.

He relaxed alittle when he saw the swing. Christina's back porch was one of his favorite places. It was one of the few places he felt safe. Here it didn't matter who his father was or what he had supposedly done. Here he could be just himself. It wasn't something he had experienced in his life.

He sat on the swing knowing that Christina would sit next to him. He had mixed feelings about that. She was his friend. His only real friend. But the feelings he had for her were stronger than he thought they would be. He had to remember that she had moved on with her life. He had to do the same. "So tell me what's new in your life."

Christina and Griffin sat in the swing together as they finished eating their pies. Setting the empty plates aside, she felt something in her stomach before she did what came next; she scooted close to Griffin as she placed her head on his chest. As they sat in the swing, they talked she told Griffin about how her life had been for her. This was the one place could just be together and be real, and forget that everything else existed. As far as Christina was concerned that was okay with her.

Christina went on about her life since he had left, how broken-heated she felt when he left, like she had been missing a part of herself entirely. Se told Griffin about how hard she worked on the farm to make sure it would stand the test of time. She had broken down and told him that she had taken on a full-time job at the coffee shop as the head waitress, just to make sure the bills and the farm were taken care of. The only thing that made Christina cure so much about Griffin was his open heart and his willingness to listen to just about anything she could tell him.