Clumsy

"Oh, yes I am, I'm just trying not to eat so much that you spend to much money. I'd feel bad if you spent a lot of money on me just to buy me dinner. I mean, I still feel guilty about the car and the penthouse! I suppose it's just the way I was raised though so it's just a normal habit of mine to refrain from causing others to spend so much.

She was being honest with him at that moment, especially since he was being so honest with her. Besides, it was just the way she was. Having others spend money on her made her feel bad, mostly because back home she was used to handed down clothing and old toys, she rarely ever had anything completely brand new. So when people spent money on her she felt bad, mostly because she thought that it wasn't really needed for them to spend so much on her.

Damon was surprised. None of the other girls had such a problem with him lavishing money on them. He could see that Marie was different. She had to be treated differently.. or at least, a bit more gently until she got used to it. There was no doubt that she would get used to it before it was all said and done, because he wasn't one to stop his habits. He would continue to spend freely on whoever he wished.

"I see.. Well, Miss Marie, you need not worry. My meals here are paid for quite easily and you will not make the slightest difference in my bill," he assured her with a dimpled grin. "As far as the car and the penthouse go, those are for every employee that I feel needs them. If they make you too uncomfortable, you can feel free to give them back. However, I would require you to find another apartment in the same neighborhood as the one you are in now, because distance to and from the office is a necessity. I don't need anybody stuck in traffic when they could be much closer," he explained, nodding a little in agreement with himself. He picked up his chopsticks and scooped up another roll from the new plate, munching contentedly as he awaited her response.

She gave a small smile and chuckled a little bit to herself.

"Thank you for understanding...Though I think I'll keep the car and apartment until I make some money first. Since I lost my other job I don't have a lot of money to spare and that area of town isn't cheap. I promise to return both the car and apartment once I can afford my own place and transportation though, how does that sound." She said as she took her glass of water and took a small sip from it.

The idea of the car now only being temporarily her's instead of being a full on gift from him did make her feel a little bit better about the arrangement and a little less guilty. Though with all this lush stuff she might get to used to it and end up having to save money up for a long time before she could return the items. Though, she was certain her boss wouldn't mind waiting awhile. After all, he gave them to her without much of a second thought or even a mention of having it returned at some point in her life. She grabbed her own chop sticks and took another piece off of the new plate.

"Though I will say that if I am surrounded by all of these night things, I might get too used to them and find myself needing to save up more money just so I can buy them for myself." She joked a little.

"Agreed," Damon said immediately, giving her a nod. He knew that she would be able to afford such a place quite easily when she got her first paycheck, but perhaps by then he would be able to change her mind about moving and giving up the car. As much as he wanted to encourage her independence, he didn't like the idea of one of his employees living somewhere that he did not control. It felt way too unprotected. Something horrible could happen to her if anybody realized what position she was in once she started working in his office.

He chuckled a bit at her joke and nodded.

"Ah, that is the sweet trap of luxury. It happened to me in much the same way. When I first came to this city, I was fifteen and have twelve dollars. Needless to say that all went out the door when I got my first whiff of chili cheese fries," he explained with a half-grin. "After that, I had to work hard to get even a handful of change. Living on the streets is no fun, but I got lucky. A man took me in and started teaching me his business. I got so used to the lifestyle that I couldn't stand the thought of being so poor again, and now look at me. The things one can get used to are quite astounding, Miss Marie."

"I can only imagine the things you are accustom to, Mr. Ricardo." She said with a small smile before she picked up her chopsticks. "As far as I have seen you are used to quite the life of luxury, I would hardly expect someone like yourself to have a past of being poor and on the street. You were a very lucky man."

She looked back to her plate and took another delicious piece of sushi, smiling a bit as she chewed her food slowly. If he had fallen in love with the riches of the worlds then she probably would as well, She'd have to be careful of that. She wouldn't want to become dependent on being served or driving an expensive car. However, a life like that did sound nice, it meant being secure enough in one's expenses to be able to afford such access in cars and homes.

Sitting back a bit, she finished off the last piece on her plate, letting out a happy sigh as she set her chop sticks on her plate and wiped her face lightly with her napkin.

"That was perfect. I am so glad you brought me here, Mr. Ricardo. I had a lovely meal."

Oh, how I would enjoy showing you the things I am accustomed to..

"Extremely lucky," he agreed with a smile, taking a sip of his drink as he watched her finish her sushi. Judging by her sigh and her comment afterward, he guessed that she was finished and gestured for the waiters to take everything away. They left the drinks, of course, just in case.

"You are most welcome, Miss Marie. Having such a grateful guest is.. very refreshing. It is definitely not something that I'm used to," he said with a smile, getting up and offering his arm to her. Once she had taken it, he walked her to the door and slipped the host a tip, earning a very delighted 'have a good night!'

"Did you save room for dessert, by any chance?" Damon asked as he opened the car door for her and gave her a grin.

She continued to smile at him as the plates were cleared away, only the drinks remaining. She finished off her water as he spoke, her smiling at him as he thanked her. Shaking her head a bit, she waved off his thanks. For her she was just being polite, just like everyone should be. There was no need to thank her for being a proper dinner guest.

"Oh please don't think anything of it. You have been the one spoiling me, I should be saying thanks much more than you need to." She said as she stood, taking his arm. She put her jacket on as he tipped the waitress, her arm linking with his once again as the left the restaurant arm in arm.

She stepped into the car as he mentioned dessert, perking her interest quite a bit. If dinner was this amazing then she could only imagine what dessert would have been like. Nodding her had a bit she smiled happily at him as she set her purse into her lap.

"I always have room for sweets." She said with a giddy tone.

Damon chuckled at Marie's obvious excitement for dessert and stepped into the car after she did, glancing toward the front as their driver awaited directions.

"The garage," he said simply, then turned back to Marie as the car started moving.

"Now, the important question is which dessert is your absolute favorite. It can be anything. What comes to mind first?" he asked, genuinely curious about what she was going to say.

"Cheesecake." She replied simply as she looked up at him. "My mother used to make a really rich one that she'd topped with cinnamon cooked apples. I loved it a lot. Though I will say that New York has lovely cheesecake, it's nothing compared to my mother's."

She was being completely honest as well. Mom made the best, no matter where you went or how much it cost. Nothing compared to mother s sweet, rich and smooth cheesecake. Now she just had to figure out how to get the recipe off the woman and she would be set for life. Though, at the moment her mother was ready to take that recipe to the grave with her, she hoped that would not be the case.

"What about you? Do you have a favorite dessert Mr. Ricardo?" She asked politely as she sat back, relaxing as the car drove off.

"Apples on cheesecake? Mmm.. That sounds positively delicious. You'd best make sure that your mother never comes into the office, or I have a feeling I'll be begging for her to stick around and make dessert," he replied with a quiet chuckle.

"My favorite is decidedly more rare than cheesecake, unfortunately. I do not often indulge," he admitted, then paused as the car came to a stop.

They were in a large parking garage, parked near the elevator. Damon stepped out and offered his arm to help Marie out, then gently guided her over to the elevator. He pulled a key from his pocket and pushed it in under the call button, turning it a quarter to the right. A soft bell sounded and he smiled as he put the key away and looked over to her to explain.

"The key lets us go to a level that is purely mine. I like having security over my vehicles," he said, then gestured for her to step into the elevator first with a smile.

Stepping out of the car with his help, she smiled a bit as they walked over to the elevator. As he explained the purpose of the key, she blinked a little before turning her around and looking over all the other cars in the garage. If the way he was saying it was correct, then all of these other cars...were his as well? She knew he was rich, he had proved it many times that night, but there were things that were still surprising her with this man.

"So then...What is your favorite dessert exactly? You never really told me what it was." She asked again, bringing up dessert once more as she figured that bringing up the cars would bore him. She had already been overly impressed most of this evening and she didn't want to keep bothering him with all her questions about his wealth. That could only go on for so long.

Besides, he really didn't answer her question to begin with and she was rather curious to see what sort of sweets this rich man could possibly love.

Damon waited until he had pressed the button to his personal level of the garage and the elevator doors whooshed closed in near silence before he turned to Marie and tilted his head slightly.

"My favorite dessert is not actually a food, Miss Marie. Forgive the.. crude answer. I was hoping to avoid it," he admitted, then cleared his throat and shrugged. "All edible sweets are the same for me. All very delicious. I adore sugar," he added, hoping to ease any anxiety he might have caused.

The elevator stopped and he stepped out, his eyes sweeping the level. There were dozens of cars that were all his, but he already knew where he was headed. He strolled over to his selection and opened the passenger door. None of the cars down here were locked - there was no point with all of the security. He turned to Marie and gave her a dimpled grin, gesturing to the seat.

"Your chariot awaits."

2uetrhd.jpg

"Oh, it's alright...I just suppose I didn't understand then." She said with a small smile as she stood with him in the elevator, leaving the topic of dessert at that.

As the doors opened, revealing even more cars that he owned, she stepped out with him and approached one of the cars. For a moment, she was in shock. Looking over the car, she blinked once or twice before getting into the car and taking a seat. The longer this night when on the more she found herself surprised by his wealth.

"If this is what you drive on a regular day, I can only imagine what you drive to show off." She joked with a smile as she sat back in her seat.

"Oh, I am always showing off, Miss Marie," Damon said, chuckling and shutting the door once he was sure that she was inside safely and wouldn't be whacked with the door.

He strolled around the front of the car and got in the driver's seat, buckling his belt before starting the car. His darling engine purred to life with a power that made him grin like a thrilled little boy. When he looked over at Marie, there was a spark in his eyes that was usually lacking. This was where he thrived - not in some boring business meeting with his associates.

"For the record, this doesn't count as a splurge. It was a gift that I just tweaked a little bit," he said, shifting into gear and cruising smoothly out of the garage and onto the street above. A guard waved to them on the way out.

"Gift or not, I consider it splurging. This car if far to lush and fancy to not be a special case." Maire said with a grin as they drove out of the garage.

As they went on their way, she looked out the window quietly, barely noticing the sounds of the engine or any other noise for that matter. She was still slightly lost in the high that was riding in such a car. Though, as they went on their way, her mind returned to the thought of what actually got her into this car into the first place.

"So...Do mind if I ask where we are going now? You did mention dessert so I would assume some place to eat, but if Mystique wasn't a good enough place to eat dessert that where is?" She questioned, having trouble thinking of any other place that could be as lovely and wonderful as Mystique.

"Mystique may be the best sushi place in town, but their desserts are rather limited," Damon explained with a grin, pleased that she was obviously enjoying the ride. He shifted and merged onto the highway easily. "First I'm going to keep my offer and show you one of my more expensive toys. After that, we'll go find a place with good cheesecake."

"Does that sound like a good plan to you?" he asked, looking over at her as they made their way easily around traffic. Just a few exits down and he left the highway, taking a road away from the center of the city and toward a more boring-seeming business district.

"Alright, that sounds fun." Marie said with a grin as she looked back out the window, watching him get onto the highway.

She couldn't help but wonder where they were going to go, and what it was that they were going to see. So far everything had been amazing and lush, far more than she was used to in truth. Her imagination couldn't even picture what it might even be. So she sat there silently and waited, happy to just be invited to all of this and treated so nicely by her new boss. As the rather boring office buildings came into view, she looked around curiously.

"Where is this? I don't recognize this area." She asked quietly.

"This is the business district. There are a lot of names for it, but I typically just call it boring. Technically, we're still in the city limits, but toward the outskirts. This is the part of the city most tourists never see. It's not exactly pretty, and there are no shiny things to buy," Damon explained, pulling up to a stop in front of an ordinary looking office building. He shut off the car and gestured to it.

"I own this one, along with several others around here. They all perform various duties and run different companies. That, however, is not why we're here. I'm far more interested in what's on top of the building than what's inside it," he said, grinning as he stepped out of the car. A guard walked over from the front door and opened Marie's door for her, standing silently. Obviously they had been expected.

"Ready?" Damon asked, offering her his hand.

"Ah, I see, I've never been in this area because most of my life as been more main down town." Marie said lightly as they pulled up to the building.

She watched as the guard opened her door, not having expected to see someone here at this time of night. He must have had around the clock security on the place then, since it was his building. Looking over to Damon, she took his hand and stepped out of the car, glancing around again before smiling a little.

"Well I suppose I am. Though, I can't help but question why we are going onto a roof of a business building of all things. Care to enlighten me now or do you still want to keep this as a surprise?"

Damon chuckled and looked over at Marie as he walked her to the door, opening it up for her and gesturing her inside to the boring lobby.

"Oh, it'll only be a surprise for a few more moments," he assured her, guiding her gently to an elevator and pressing the 'up' button. The doors glided open immediately and he stepped inside, waiting for her to join him before pressing the 'roof' button on the bottom of the keypad.