Closing Open Registration on January 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we don't intend to kick anybody out. XD But people naturally fade and leave over time. So EVENTUALLY with a little bit of monitoring and adjusting of when/how we allow registrations, numbers will level out to a place we are comfortable!
Keyword: Eventually. XP Just watch that time frame be 20 + years or something. :P

Bad idea! What if you're really interested in that thread, and you don't know anyone there?
As someone who came to this site through a random Google search for a Trigun RP, this question feels especially relevant.

If they let everyone who applied be a CV, this place would go to shit.

Even the people who DO end up CV (or even Staff) occasionally turn out to be fucking nuts or just looking for the prestige so they can beat people with their e-peens. Or they're well-meaning but will never be good at it even with training, because it's too stressful or too much to remember.
How high quality (or at least in sync with the current admins and staff) that help is however is a different matter, which is where the whole training element comes up.
I literally just said that the post before... :/
I mean it's nice to see that we agree, but this seems more like it was trying to correct me than agree.

Might have mis-read this though.
Chat's without tones of voice or facial expressions are a bitch.
I'm always here and -cough- I might -cough- have plenty of -cough- time on my hands. I might also -cough- have an app in -cough- for CV/Staff.
Although the same applies to me, I think the Staff have outright said before (though through TS) that those who constantly poke/re-apply have their chances reduced.
Something about filling the Admin's feed too much, and they already note and remember you from the first application. :P

Reactions: ElBell
Feel free to do that! Unless you are a god of advertising (aka, just really put some work and effort in to it), you probably would not get enough registrations for it to feel exactly like open registration! And if you did, damn son. O___O Can't punish somebody with those kinda skills, that's pretty sweet.

Everyone spam iwaku links and make Diana cry!

Personally, I think this is a great idea, but it doesn't go far enough. We need to start a grand culling! Get down to no more than 20 members per staff person, and 20 staff per admin.

There can be a grand lottery to choose those who will be culled, and we can have a huge party every weekend where we select 100 to feast upon!

Something like the above. I haven't actually planned it out or picked the appropriate sauce for the feast.

Personally, I think this is a great idea, but it doesn't go far enough. We need to start a grand culling! Get down to no more than 20 members per staff person, and 20 staff per admin.

There can be a grand lottery to choose those who will be culled, and we can have a huge party every weekend where we select 100 to feast upon!

Something like the above. I haven't actually planned it out or picked the appropriate sauce for the feast.
I say the most recent 1000 user registrations get to stay, EVERYONE else gets deleted.

Although the same applies to me, I think the Staff have outright said before (though through TS) that those who constantly poke/re-apply have their chances reduced.
Something about filling the Admin's feed too much, and they already note and remember you from the first application. :P

That's actually not true and probably just people trying to make sure you're not driving us insane. XD Reapply as many times as you want to update your application with new info, we always go by the latest application. In fact, it's a good habit to resend once every 4-6 months because it lets us know you're active AND serious.

What you prolly DON'T wanna do is keep asking about it in Pms about when we're gonna grab you. Because we won't have an answer. O__O It's always different and based on the needs we having during that hiring week. Some people wait forever and some people don't, is just how it happens. If you wanna know if the app went thru, thas no big, but otherwise we'll not have any answers. D:

That's actually not true and probably just people trying to make sure you're not driving us insane. XD Reapply as many times as you want to update your application with new info, we always go by the latest application. In fact, it's a good habit to resend once every 4-6 months because it lets us know you're active AND serious.

What you prolly DON'T wanna do is keep asking about it in Pms about when we're gonna grab you. Because we won't have an answer. O__O It's always different and based on the needs we having during that hiring week. Some people wait forever and some people don't, is just how it happens. If you wanna know if the app went thru, thas no big, but otherwise we'll not have any answers. D:

aka The app was received! Don't bother us about it, gorramit.

I am very firmly against this idea, but there really is no argument I can make that will undo this...I just thing 2500 is hardly enough to get 10 interesting roleplays per genre when you run the numbers.

I am very firmly against this idea, but there really is no argument I can make that will undo this...I just thing 2500 is hardly enough to get 10 interesting roleplays per genre when you run the numbers.
Well then. Apply for staff and imbue those lowlives with your enlightened holiness. Come up with an actual propoisition to their issues instead of needlessly whining next time.

Well then. Apply for staff and imbue those lowlives with your enlightened holiness. Come up with an actual propoisition to their issues instead of needlessly whining next time.
I like how every single time I proclaim my distaste for someones actions someone else has to use their high horse to attempt to joust with me because I want to let my voice be heard. How about you step off that horse and look to me eye to eye and understand that it's you putting that "holier than thou" tone in my voice and perhaps instead of assuming I'm just some prick with nothing better to do than to insult people I disagree with you take just half a second to breath and think "If I say this, am I only being an asshole or is there a point to be made here?" Inhale and exhale deeply, consider that perhaps the person in question would rather their stance be known rather than sitting quietly in a dark corner grimacing at any change who later disappears with no explanation. If everyone that disliked changes did that eventually everyone would just vanish into a confusing cluttered corner of opinions that were never even stated in the first place. You really want to know my stance? I'll just quote myself talking about it. All points that I know can't convince the staff to change their minds, but points I have none the less, thus why I previously chose not to waste my time complaining to the staff about something they probably don't even want to hear.
Ah, I just don't think 2500 people is enough to cut it off, especially given that they claimed to have wanted enough GMs. If you filter out all of the fandom roleplays that (and I don't mean to offend when I say this) anyone can make and look at how many people make roleplays, which in my experience is about one in 5, means there's 500 people willing to make roleplays. Now filter out all the carbon copies of super heroes and school settings, which is again in my experience about 3/4, leaving only 1/4 you're left with 125 interesting roleplays with genuine original thought. We have 10 sections, so if we were to assume each was used equally, which they aren't, you're looking at an average of 13 good roleplays with GMs and players dedicated to seeing it through to the end per section. Consider one of those sections is "fantasy" which can mean anything between Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, you're not looking at a very high amount of original ideas. As far as management goes, most managements on roleplay sites comes from GMs and if a player really does start some issues the use of the report button.

Maybe my inner cynic is just telling me these guys are wanting an excuse and don't really want to tell us why. I think it would be more fair to say its a temporary state while they work on all the site updates that we go through every 3 months.
It might be a good idea to, instead of assuming that I think I'm some sort of all knowing deity of forums, you might consider that my distaste is not disapproval. Know this, I am not one to take any of that kind of attitude, I say what I say to let it be known, not to prove a point.

tl'dr: Don't you dare put that attitude into my mouth. It's insulting.

Do I need to start with the Nicki Minaj gifs?

Cos I will totally start with the Nicki Minaj gifs if you two don't chill out.

Ah, I just don't think 2500 people is enough to cut it off, especially given that they claimed to have wanted enough GMs. If you filter out all of the fandom roleplays that (and I don't mean to offend when I say this) anyone can make and look at how many people make roleplays, which in my experience is about one in 5, means there's 500 people willing to make roleplays. Now filter out all the carbon copies of super heroes and school settings, which is again in my experience about 3/4, leaving only 1/4 you're left with 125 interesting roleplays with genuine original thought. We have 10 sections, so if we were to assume each was used equally, which they aren't, you're looking at an average of 13 good roleplays with GMs and players dedicated to seeing it through to the end per section. Consider one of those sections is "fantasy" which can mean anything between Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, you're not looking at a very high amount of original ideas. As far as management goes, most managements on roleplay sites comes from GMs and if a player really does start some issues the use of the report button.

Maybe my inner cynic is just telling me these guys are wanting an excuse and don't really want to tell us why. I think it would be more fair to say its a temporary state while they work on all the site updates that we go through every 3 months.
If you actually wrote this before, then I'm to blame for making a snap judgement.

[BCOLOR=#333333]ill stil fite ur winy ass[/BCOLOR]

It's nice to see that someone is finally speaking up to tell the majority of the member base that their ideas suck and they shouldn't bother making roleplays that they think sound fun. I mean, now they can move on and do things that are good enough.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
It's your choice to assume that's what I meant, even though I never said any ideas suck, just that high school and super hero roleplays are beaten to death. This doesn't mean they're bad, it means people who've been roleplaying for longer times such as myself have already had their fill. I'm not talking about good roleplays, I'm talking about creative (not necessarily original, arguably original doesn't even exist) roleplays. Taking what I say as offense is your decision.

I've been RPing for 16 years or so, by the by.

I don't judge creativity solely by genre.

Also you're the one projecting your own tastes on everyone else and saying that there's not enough diversity for you as it is. If you think you won't be able to find enough good roleplays, maybe you should just go to a different site.

That's the part I find offensive. The part where you're speaking for everyone else. You're quoting incredibly subjective numbers and assuming that everyone shares your preferences to make an argument against this idea. And then getting mad at other people for supposedly putting words in your mouth.

Can we please just not turn this into another general discussion thread? Where everyone assumes to be speaking on behalf of everyone as they ride atop their white, shiny steeds? Everybody speaks for themselves and nobody else, nobody needs to be told that.

@Ozzie Chanter You should know better than to be directly going after someone's personal character. You swat at me for that shit, so cut it out.

@Squee Don't presume to speak on behalf of everyone's personal tastes just because you're sick of a certain genre or set of role plays.

You're both great people and I've known you both for months (in Squee's case, years), so, cut it out. Just drop it. Take it to PM's. This ain't GD, don't pull that shit here. I know you're both capable of better. :ferret:

EDIT

Yes I also realize the irony of my saying this. I'm working on it too. I'm not some perfect social savant who does no wrong, and my steed was looking pretty shiny there. So I'll just go ahead and remind everyone that I'm in no way, shape, or form, better than Squee or Ozzie. I'm just trying to prevent yet another forum slap fight because if I'm tired of anything, I'm definitely tired of those and would prefer those staying in 2015.

Reactions: White
Status
Not open for further replies.