Closing Open Registration on January 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a good call. Kinda had the feeling Iwaku would one day become an exclusive bunny club >w>

What I /DIDN'T/ expect, though, was seeing Nikki gifs when I clicked on the topic. Okay

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Don't expect anything. EVER.

• Love
Reactions: Yuki40
Those of you who want the doors open again, perhaps try volunteering and help the staff and admins out a bit.
As much as I'm trying to stay out of this and be neutral, I think it does need pointing out that people already got the means to try to be a CV and help out.

The issue is they kind of can't unless Admin approved. Meaning the amount of people running around helping with stuff is almost entirely up to the Admins (almost because they can't exactly promote the entire site, but there's still a good amount of people who apply who are either not accepted, or wait for a long while before being accepted).

How high quality (or at least in sync with the current admins and staff) that help is however is a different matter, which is where the whole training element comes up.

• Useful
Reactions: Luxii
If they let everyone who applied be a CV, this place would go to shit.

Even the people who DO end up CV (or even Staff) occasionally turn out to be fucking nuts or just looking for the prestige so they can beat people with their e-peens. Or they're well-meaning but will never be good at it even with training, because it's too stressful or too much to remember.

Honestly, I've seen people get the chance who probably shouldn't have gotten it, but the Admins are nicer than I am.

Bad idea! What if you're really interested in that thread, and you don't know anyone there? What about the new guys that don't have any friends yet? How are they gonna be in a thread if they need to be invited? What if in real life you don't know anyone who is in Iwaku? That would be unfair. I think you should find another approach, because that will only decrease the number of members, and people will soon stop joining or new members might delete their accounts, cues they can't do anything anymore.

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. Briggs Inc.
@GamerFangirl

This is only about new members getting access to join the site. They aren't talking about keeping people from RPs without invites, if that's what you're talking about. o__o So you can join whatever RP you want as long as it's open for new players (which is up to the GM/thread owner).

Anyone can join the site with an invite from an Iwaku member. That means that if you want to join, all you have to do is find an Iwaku member- could be in real life, could be someone you know on the internet, could be you post a message anywhere on the internet begging for an invite really- and then you can join. Or wait for an open registration day. Diana's also hinted this probably won't be permanent.

The entire point is to stop from getting new members for a while. So that's why they're doing it.

It won't affect anyone who already has an account, so there's no need for anyone to delete their account.

If you don't know any of the 2500 active members who are already here, you can invite people from other sites or from your friend group. It's that easy.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Bad idea! What if you're really interested in that thread, and you don't know anyone there? What about the new guys that don't have any friends yet? How are they gonna be in a thread if they need to be invited? What if in real life you don't know anyone who is in Iwaku? That would be unfair. I think you should find another approach, because that will only decrease the number of members, and people will soon stop joining or new members might delete their accounts, cues they can't do anything anymore.
In my experience, having closed registration helped make the community closer. Plus there are huge RPG fan bases on places like tumblr, so if someone posted on there askind for a code or asking for somewhere to RP, someone from here could easily give them a code. I don't think this is a bad idea at all. Sites with giant member numbers tend to get really lonely really quickly.

But my hair is real! ;___;
images

Real, sexy hair.

• Love
Back in my day, when I first joined Iwaku nearly ten years ago....We had 300 members only and maybe only 100ish were active. Now it's 2500. Neat.

• Love
The biggest issue is that we can't hire volunteers and staffers fast enough to handle the size. D: We have to find people who are trustworthy AND have time. AND train them on how to do both maintenance work as well as social work (member drama and so on). By the time we get someone trained, someone else has to retire because of life commitments, etc. With our current number of members we need AT LEAST 30 active staff members, and we're barely able to reach 20 (on a good season).
I'm always here and -cough- I might -cough- have plenty of -cough- time on my hands. I might also -cough- have an app in -cough- for CV/Staff.

the logical thing to do is to stop letting in so many people until they get things under control, instead of continuing to do a shit job of running the site.
Exactly. I would rather see a site being well-managed and running smoothly than see one constantly mismanaged and all but collapsing on itself.

I would challenge the logic that people need so much handling.

This isn't a restaurant; there isn't a limited number of seats, we don't need cooks to make content for us, we don't need waitresses to direct us around. This is more like a picnic ground- we might need one or two security guards to break up fights, but generally people should be bringing their own food, and cleaning up after themselves.

This isn't a school where we need teachers and faculty running things, this is an open message board where all we need is a giant wall upon which to staple our writings.

And that should also explain exactly why limited access to this place is such a bad idea.
This IS a community that is very large and, mind you, NOT free to run. The more people that come and post regularly, the more bandwidth is used. The more that is used, the more expensive the site. The more expensive the site, the more donations are important, etc.

Granted, that isn't what this is about, so I will return to the topic at hand

The fact remains that the staff cannot keep up with such a volume of individuals. They are trying very hard to do so, but many do not have all day every day to simply handle site matters. As such, they are trying to stop the site's managerial matters from getting too bogged down and stagnating... thus leading to severe issues site-wide. YOU may not like it, but you are being very shortsighted and narrow-minded. People will be allowed to join if they are invited, and Diana has said there will be periods of open registration.

Relax, mate.

Not entirely correct. Take me, for example. When I was new, I hung out in the chatboxes and got to meet new people. It was a bit awkward at first, but after a week or so I felt comfortable and posted my first attempt at an RP on this site (not my first ever RP... been doing that for eleven years now. Yes, I am old.) and got a good group of people. Some knew me from Chatbox. Some knew me from the past. Some were brand new people. Some were long-time members who wanted to give the new guy a shot. We're a friendly community full of laid-back and awesome people. There's no need to be worried about that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-​

All in all, I can say this is probably a good move. And hey, if we can get the Staff/CV situations more stabilized... what's to say we can't reopen registration to 3000 active members or more? It's all about the community. This site has ALWAYS been about the community. The more stable we can make things, the better off we are as a whole. So, my fellow members, just relax and realize this is for the good of the site and for us.

I'm always here and -cough- I might -cough- have plenty of -cough- time on my hands. I might also -cough- have an app in -cough- for CV/Staff.
Same :o Or maybe I chickened out. I can't really remember if I sent it or not.

This is a wonderful Idea. I've been on the site for two years now basically sort of, and I've had a vanishing problem. People who start a rp and waste my time by vanishing and not even bothering to tell me they need to leave or have lost interest. I'm really hoping this closed registration will weed out all the vanishers that I've run into for the last two years.

I've met one other person that had my luck. Still I'm glad we are doing this. People are are inactive don't have to come back which will help people a lot and make the community a lot tighter. If something happens by mistake I'm sure Daina or some other staff would be nice enough to give an account back depending on the situation but I can't be the judge of that.

Anyone my point is, vanishing sucks and I hope it will happen less now that registrations are closing. I think this will be really good for the site and since I enjoy you thought processes here, I shall be donating for the frist time when I can :) just have to figure out how.

*Runs off to Self-help section that is available.*

Have a good night everyone! :)

what if I want to exploit this and sell invitation keys cheaply?

what if I just give invitiation keys out en masse and freely?

Just to point at possiblities.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Izurich

Just to point at possiblities.
You are only allowed to do this if it is on a site hosted by Atabyte... I mean uh... I suspect that would be highly frowned upon and would ruin it for everyone else.

Just so ya know, me and @ConstructPylons are on the same IP fairly often. There's a couple of people who can confirm we're two different people.

You prolly wouldn't be able to do that cause getting an invite code would be so easy, thus not profitable. (Plus, who the heck wants to pay to get in to a dumb roleplay site? O_O It's already a surprise so many people donate!)

Feel free to do that! Unless you are a god of advertising (aka, just really put some work and effort in to it), you probably would not get enough registrations for it to feel exactly like open registration! And if you did, damn son. O___O Can't punish somebody with those kinda skills, that's pretty sweet.

You get banned. SIMPLES.
Or we could do that. D:< BUT IS NOT WORTH IT

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Izurich
Or we could do that. D:< BUT IS NOT WORTH IT
I say BAN THEM IF THEY DUN GIVE US 75% OF THE PROFIT FROM THE PAYING MEMBERS! MOHAHAHHAHA

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Izurich and Beta
Status
Not open for further replies.