Change of Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
---------------

Lyra was still going to Cata, but plans had changed just slightly to extend the departure time a week out. Nik would be coming with her and he had to get the all clear from the healers...which meant being extremely compliant after the stunt he'd pulled disappearing that day. The white-haired male had made it clear, though, that he wanted Lyra to have free access to him. He'd stay, let them evaluate him, do anything he was required to do and he wouldn't be stupid, but he wouldn't be do anything they wanted if Lyra was kept from him. It was a tentative agreement, requiring some arguing, but he'd gotten his way.

It had actually surprised Nik quite a bit that he had, too.

He'd been deemed fine physically, only cautioned to take it easy as he built up his strength again and to eat properly. His mind, though...well, it wasn't getting any worse and it wasn't getting any better. It had stabled out and after a few days of tests and truly making sure he wasn't deteriorating in any way, the healers, Arrah and Rhelic had reluctantly admitted there was nothing they could do. If he was going to get any better after this, it would be up to him and time.

Nik was given permission to go home two days before they were to leave for Cata and his first course of action had been to spent the entire first day - and poor Nyaisah had to follow him everywhere, not about to let him out of her sight again - figuring out how to see the red woman. No one thought it was a good idea for him to, but Nik was insistent. He needed to see her. He needed to know she couldn't hurt him again - she'd gotten into his mind twice, he had some right to be wary about hearing that she couldn't do it again - and he needed to know if there was any chance of getting any information out of her.

At the moment he was giving Jak an exasperated look, sighing before he ran a palm-scarred hand back through his hair - hair that desperately needed a cut. "Jak, there must be something you can do. I just need a few minutes. I just need to know she's not a threat anymore." He'd come to his brother-in-law because well...Jak seemed to be able to do pretty much anything he was determined to do and Nik needed the help.

Looking carefully over the man before him, his bridged fingers tapping simultaneously the golden blond hair shook against his request. "I know there is something I could do, but it's within the rights of what I should do are entirely two different things." He could appreciate the boy's enthusiasm and in turn want to see it with his own eyes on whether or not she was being properly held and bond to make sure the evil witch didn't strike out at him again; but it wasn't about to go allowing it just because.

He could see the determination in his gaze and that alone gave him warning to what sorts of possible schemes he could try when he was denied. Sitting up in his chair rather than slouching into it, Jak narrowed an eye to him. "Nik I get it. Seeing it with your own eyes you believe that it will give you some sort of rest knowing she won't attack you again. But I won't allow it. It is nothing against you but the woman proves to be...." Jak sneered, "Impervious to our attempts. She is quite stubborn and while Rhelic is keeping her at bay with relative ease I'd personally much rather not give her an outlet to see you up and well... as well as one could be. Just as much as you might want to witness her with your own eyes, she might be waiting for you to come and then possibly do something we could never expect. It is for your own safety."

Watching him, Jak sighed. "If it is that important, the only way I'd even think of letting you close is if you have Lyra with you. I can say the only thing I have seen with this woman is the fear she holds when Lyra's name is mentioned. But that is if you can convince her to join you. That is the only way and Nik, if I find out you tried to sneak in at any costs, I may be family but I will reprimand you within my limits. Do not test waters you do not wish to see wild and uneven."

Nik frowned. He had known, he had, that Jak would say no, but he'd had to try. In part, he knew the blond elf was right and that what he was asking was not wise, that he should trust those around him that told him he was safe from her - and he did to a degree - but Nik could not shake the feeling that there was something missing to this puzzle. The red woman had invaded his head the first time without any kind of warning and had stayed there for a month before demanding he kill Lyra. Why? Why do nothing for so long and then command such a thing when it would have been far easier - if Lyra had been the target all along - to make him do it sooner? And then the second time, she'd been working with his family, but had claimed she wasn't going by their agenda. She'd tried to break his mind this time. Why? And if that was the goal all along, why leave him after he'd 'killed' Lyra?

This wasn't adding up and while everyone else had tried to make her speak without success...maybe he could.

He didn't know, but damn he wanted to try. Otherwise all this was pointless, a violation of his mind, harm he could not reason out and that sat like bile in his throat when he thought about it. He knew why his family had abused him. No matter how wrong they'd been, they'd had reasons that he could hear and understand even if he didn't agree with their logic. This woman, though...she'd hurt him in a way his family never had, she'd created damage that still wasn't healing and he wanted to know WHY.

The halfbreed nodded slowly, looking up from the floor and back to Jak, determination blazing in his pale eyes. "I won't do anything to shame our family. I won't go against what you have told me. You have my word, but if I can convince Lyra, do I have yours that I can see her?"

Cupping his chin into her fingers looking over the half breed, he shook his head at first, shrugged and casted out his fingers. He was too determined for his own good. "I am trusting you Nik but if Lyra does not agree there will be no more talk of this. You will not go to the Regent lord asking for his pardon. You are smart enough to leave well enough alone. But yes, you get Lyra to agree and you can see her. But there will be restrictions even with Lyra there." Those blue eyes took on a haunting stare, "I partly want to see this witch scream and try to get away from Lyra and secondly we need to be able to make sure that Lyra can handle it as well. So there is a condition to this; you must have Tiron's blessing to say that Lyra is capable of this. He is the best judge on her progress, not even Lyra can say she's fit enough for it."

Nik resisted the urge to sigh with all the restrictions, but he nodded and he'd given his word so he'd keep it. If Tiron did not approve Lyra and Lyra couldn't come with him, then he'd stay away from the red woman. Simple as that. "Thank you, Jak." It was all he said, all he felt he needed to say before he left, contemplating just how he was going to ask Lyra to do this with him. Nik moved through the city in a half-aware state and he knew he'd been going toward the house but when he next looked up next he noted he was not at the house at all. He couldn't remember how he'd actually gotten here and the halfbreed gripped his head, giving a frustrated yell before he looked up again at the trees around him.

He was in the clearing the wolves had made their home, their den while in Faradar and Nik felt a vice tighten around his heart as he knelt on the ground and just studied every feature of the forest around him, memories swimming before his eyes. He missed them. So much sometimes and then not at all others. He knew the latter was a defense mechanism and the former...he didn't know when that would ever lessen, every go away. He didn't know if he wanted to because then he was afraid he'd just feel guilty, DID feel guilty.

It was his fault they were dead.

He couldn't bring them back. Nik touched the ground and closed his eyes for a moment before he stood and looked toward the direction of the house, a few miles from here and he vaguely realized he must have run. He looked around once more before starting back. No, he couldn't bring them back, but he could make sure their deaths meant something. And in his mind that started with figuring out what the hell game had been played in his head - and who had been playing it.

Nyaisah greeted him when he came upon the house, the female wolf growling slightly in reprimand as she'd not been able to find him immediately, and the halfbreed ruffled her ears with a sad sort of smile before he looked up to where Lyra was on the porch. He looked down as he climbed the stairs to her and sighed. "I'm sorry. I...blacked out again, ended up in the woods." He gave her the most reassuring smile he could, but sadness lurked in his pale eyes. "Nothing happened, though, I did see your brother before that and...I need to talk to you and your father about something."

Watching as the husband came meandering up the stairs with a gaze crossed somewhere in wonder, between concern and bristling with thoughtfulness. Though she had heard the griping from Nya about not being about to find him - not that she was about to say otherwise, sometimes it might have been nice just to be out of sight, mind and ear shot. But that could be just her.

Clicking her tongue at him, she wasn't daft enough not to note the pang between his gaze and patch it together with being lost in the woods. It wasn't going to be easy to let that hole heal that the wolves had occupied and she wasn't expecting it too. Though him stating he went and seen Jak brought her eyes up and trained well on him. It only got better, "My father and myself? What's going on?"

Nik sighed, but didn't answer straight away, bringing his forehead to rest against Lyra's, his eyes closed for a moment. He felt strangely off balance, but he knew he always felt that way after a black out and he knew it would pass...until the next one. It was frustrating and still scared him sometimes, but it was the feeling it left him with, like he was missing something for more important than just lost minutes - or an hour; that was the longest he'd gone, though, he'd not told that to anyone - when he came back to himself.

The white-haired male brushed his fingers through the hair at Lyra's temple before he pulled back and met her gaze, stepping back completely to lean against the rail at his back. He was going to ask her something she'd have to think about, something she might not want to do and something that would be difficult for her. He didn't want her to think he was trying to manipulate her in any way when he did it. So Nik spoke factually and with a neutral expression on his face that showed little of the true desire he actually felt for her to agree...well, then again, as neutral as he could be with someone who was starting to know his signals better than he himself did.

"I spoke to Jak about seeing the dream-caster, and his reply was that he'd only allow me to do so if you were there. He also said that he wouldn't allow you to be there unless you were approved by your father. I told Jak I would respect his decision on the matter." Nik shrugged just a little before he folded his arms and looked down at the porch, feeling both vulnerable and defensive for reasons he couldn't exactly pinpoint. Maybe it was because he expected judgement about his desire to do this at all.

"So I am asking you if you'll consider it and speak to your father about it if you feel it is something you could do." He wasn't going to try to convince her anymore than that. He would explain his reasons if she wanted to know, but as for Lyra's decision...he was asking her for help. She could say yes or no. Simple as that.

What was going on? It certainly seemed like a lot more than a simple question point blank, no even to her still learning ways of him, she knew there was something else at work here.

As he leaned back to the railing, she threw a bit of a look to the wolf then to him as he began to speak. He was wanting to see that crazy psycho who had harmed him so much and he was hoping Jak would have allowed it? Not to mention the fact that she was now being pulled into it. Oh she knew Jak and she knew that he was relying on her to say no. This wasn't a hard protocol to figure out. They were holding someone of great misery and great power and now a civilian was wanting to see her. It was dangerous and not allowed unless a military personal was there. She was of a general ranking and was the one who helped ensure the accursed woman's capture. It made sense and then it only continued to do so when he spoke about Jak wanting Tiron's blessing for her. She could still be easily riled into snapping back into the other side and with this woman that caused him so much agony, it made perfect sense. But she could tell even if he was trying to hide it that he was wanting her to come. It wasn't how he said it, or how he was looking at her with the mask of neutrality, it was something she could feel prickling on her skin.

Rubbing her head, she sighed heavily. "You know how difficult that could be for the both of us?"

Ears prickled as it seemed on cue that the massive creature had come reappearing out of the forest, his attention shifting quickly towards them both before sauntering over. Gold peered over Nik, uncertain of him fully but was trusting nonetheless; Tiron's ears moved forward in wonder. "Greetings Niklomaus," he spoke through the heavy accent, looking to her and then back to him and then Nyaisah, seemingly sensing something. "Something wrong?"

"Nik has asked me to go and see the dream caster with him;" Tiron's ears swiveled around to pin to his skull already not liking that idea, "Jak said I'd have to get permission from you firstly."

"It is not wise." his voice rumbled in his chest, "You know she was a trigger and still can be. Though-" his eyes landed on Nik watching him carefully, "What purpose would this serve?"

Nyaisah didn't like this idea at all and the look she sent back to Lyra reflected that displeasure, shining through her eyes even in her wolf form. She watched Nik just as closely as Lyra did because the she-elf was right; there was something going on with the halfbreed and either he didn't know what it was or he wasn't telling them and with Nik....it really could have been either. Time and maybe some well-applied pressure to make him talk would reveal which it was. In the meantime, they had to deal with the situation at hand and right now Nik's suggestion sounded downright crazy to the canine.

But it wasn't her decision to make.

Nik looked between father and daughter slowly, still remaining calm when his heart pounded in his chest and his mind raced for a reason. He knew he didn't have one, though. Not one that made sense. He finally sighed and unfolded his arms, rubbing his face briefly before he brought his hands to the rail behind his back, gripping tightly as he brought his gaze back to Tiron. "It would serve nothing but a selfish one. It would be for me and wouldn't benefit anyone else and that is why I did not ask for anyone else to come with me initially. I...know this would be risky for Lyra and I will accept if you think this is too dangerous for her. I just....if I don't ask...then there is no chance the answer might be yes."

Tiron shook his head with a mild chuckle, "You are wise enough to know what you ask for is unreasonable but stupid enough to know it not a mistake worth making." he wasn't trying to be mean or rude, he was stating it as it was. "Do you think this dream caster is the only one who holds those answers for those questions you want answered. The world is larger than your mind is young pup, it moves beyond even that of your own nose. It is not wise to put your faith and your mind again into the warped hands of a witch. Not to mention you risk my daughter, your wife to a fate that is too premature to seek. You must not feel guilty for your actions but you must reflect deeper on them. You spoke to Jak firstly correct?" Lyra was the one to nod as she seemed content letting Tiron speak for the time being, fingers coming to preen and smooth Nyaisah becoming more of a habit of comfort to the lone female; Tiron took in a heavy breath.

"You handpicked the path to deny you the moment you spoke to the Colonel. Granted I may not know the lad as well as you two, but he is firm in his beliefs when they need to be and unfaltering when he knows it is required. He knew I would say no to Lyra attending, hence why I was used as a leverage. It may seem like it was done in trickery but he worries for you and knows in turn Lyra is your weakness. Making a fine way to tell you no, and make certain you keep your word." Tiron nodded shortly, "Do not place your hopes on the snake in the armies clutches young pup, you will be coming to Cata soon enough and you may learn that we demons could unlock those answers for you in a way that is not dangerous. There is more ways to skin a cat?" he looked to Lyra who started to chuckle, "Did I say that right?"

"Yes papa,"

The halfbreed listened quietly and when Tiron was done, he nodded, sighing quietly but accepting. He had said he would and he meant it. He didn't want to put Lyra in danger and while part of him wanted to be mad at Jak, Nik was finding that anger seemed to be beyond him these days. He knew that he was being worried over and part of him was awkward about it, but more of him liked it and he understood why he was being told no. He didn't like it, but he'd given his word and would abide by it.

Besides, he was being offered some hope, right? Maybe he'd have to wait for it, but the demon spoke more logic than Nik could combat - and he didn't want to; even the thought made him tired - and he'd have to trust that those around him were making the best decisions possible for him...because he obviously didn't know what was good for him anymore.

Should he be more alarmed by that?

Nyaisah released a relieved sigh, leaning against Lyra's leg like a faithful hound - even if her head did come up to the she-elf's high waist - and she watched Nik closely, ears flicking back in some concern when he spoke. It wasn't that he sounded sad or angry or disappointed. He just...didn't sound much like anything.

"I understand. I have no wish to put Lyra in danger and I will do as you say."

"Do as I say?" Tiron blinked at him before raising a brow, well as much as he could with the mask on his face, "I did not say you had to agree to most of it, you could be a hell raiser if you wanted and tempt my daughter against better judgement. I did not decree anything against you lad, I was merely stating my opinions from an aged mind and careful thought." Lyra frowned at Nik. Something was still seriously wrong with him, he seemed... docile. No that wasn't it, he seemed to be just accepting things by the word of mouth rather than his once lively and rambunctious feral nature.

Glancing to the leaning wolf, she knew she was not the only one seeing it. Nya had a different connection to Nik and the way she was watching him told Lyra that she was also aware of something not quite right.

"It is fine to rebel and seek what you wish even for the wrong reason Niklomaus, it is what makes you alive. Living carefully sometimes leads to nothing but boredom and submission. Lad," now she knew her father sensed it as well, "You do not seem well still, are you sure you are alright?"

Niklomaus looked almost confused for a moment as he stared at Tiron, frowning slightly as he looked between the demon, the wolf and his wife. Why would he rebel if it would get someone else hurt? Enough people had been hurt on his account. He didn't feel the need to raise hell or be angry. Tiron had been logical and Jak might have tricked him somewhat, but he was doing it because he cared. Why would he want to fight against that? He'd never had that before. He didn't understand why they'd want him to rebel.

The halfbreed brought his hand up and rubbed at his temple, feeling his head start to throb. The more he tried to focus and think these days, the worse it got. The fores could find nothing in his mind that they could fix, though, and even Arrah seemed a bit mystified as to why he was struggling so much. He was fine physically and most of the time he seemed fine mentally, but as the days passed, his demeanor was changing. He could see it, but it was as if he saw it from a distance and could do nothing about it....and it didn't alarm him. And he didn't even want to question why it alarmed him.

Even as he did. Wasn't that why he was asking to go to the dream-caster? Even that seemed like a foolish idea now.

Nik smiled just slightly, shrugging a bit. "I feel fi-" He never got to finish the sentence as Nyaisah snarled suddenly and she leaped. Her form shifted, hackles raised and fangs bared as she hit Nik square on and he hit the wood of the porch with solid thud. She sat on him, muzzle attempting to lunge for his throat, only stopped by Nik's hands grabbing at the fur on her neck, holding her back. The werewolf snarled horribly and for a moment the briefest flash of temper flared in Nik's eyes before it was gone and he let her go, going still beneath the she-wolf. Nyaisah jerked back then as if she'd been struck and she rose off him, appearing shaken beyond what she knew what to do with.

"You're not fine." She said it with pure conviction, shaking her head and then she looked to Lyra. "I should not have been able to do that! He is above me in pack structure, he should have fought me! He's submissive. This isn't right." She couldn't even put into words how not right it was in her mind as she watched Nik sit up, looking anything but angry, only confused.

Last edited:
Watching suddenly as the louve jumped as Nik began to speak, Tiron snapped jumping back a good pace baring his own fangs letting as Lyra rose quickly to her feet. But before she could even do something, Nya drew back snapping her words at him.

She was right thought. Nik was suppose to be this sort of alpha leader and yet he was curling into this defenceless puppy If it didn't anger him, it surely angered her. Jumping down the porch, Tiron was glowering at the whole thing only advancing around to look to Lyra then disapprovingly to that of the half breed. "No Nya your completely correct," her gaze drew tight looking at him, "This isn't about you missing a piece of your sanity Nik, this is about you retracting! You are the cause for your own plight not the dream caster." She gritted her teeth, "Your hiding again but on a whole new level, it makes sense now. Instead of you dealing with the matters of the pack's death, the torment your family put you through, the pain your brother caused and the agony from the witch, you decided to stop fighting and accept it as is. You are withdrawing and that won't be fixed by others hands," she was seething at him, "Nyaisha is right, so right about all this. And yet..." she looked to the she wolf frowning deeply, "This is enough." A glint of gold sprinting quickly across her features, she gritted her teeth, "None of us will be able to help you open up again. You are suppose to be upset, hurt for what happened and slowly progress with it until you heal. But-" Lyra turned to face her father, "You are doing this alone. I am tired of watching you regress into something or rather someone I can't feel anything but pity for. If you are capable of just pushing yourself into a state of remorse then what is saying you won't stop loving Nyaisha or myself. Words are words Nik, and I won't watch you crash and burn anymore. I can't, I won't. I'd rather love what you were than see what you're willing to become because you can't cope with the pain or the anger. I know it hurts and it's horrible to think of, but it's the only answer you will have to your own sanity."

Tiron narrowed his gaze as she rocked her jaw, hating her own words but she meant them. He was destroying himself and she couldn't watch him do it. She couldn't be the one to save him this time, if he loved any of them, he would have to open himself back to that pain, that anguish that ruled over him.

"I'm sorry meu amor, but if you aren't willing to fight for those who have lost their lives, you won't fight for anyone."

I am fighting! Can't you see that! I am fighting, I am screaming and no one can hear me! That is why I am losing time, blacking out! Dammit, let me go! Nik's will fought against the psychosis that was slowly pulling him deeper and deeper into himself. Day by day it was getting harder to break through, to show those he loved that he was trying. It had started so simply at first that he'd barely realized what was happening, but whatever the dream-caster had done to his mind, it was still active. It wasn't HER power anymore, though. It was something stronger, something that had channeled through her to get to him and Nik didn't know what it was, but it was royally pissing him off! Why couldn't they stop messing with his effing head?!

S**t he had to make them see he was still in here...

Pale blue eyes stared at Lyra's back, startled and sad, but not angry, not indignant, not fighting. It was like he'd not heard her words at all by the expression on his face. There was no reaction as he stood slowly. Not at first, anyway. Nyaisah, though, still looking at Nik, saw it first. It was a flicker of pain that crossed his face, and then a flash of pure, undulated rage that made the werewolf's ears perk and she set a hand on Lyra's arm. She'd not understood what the she-elf was doing at first, but now she thought she understood and hope sprang up within her. It grew as she watched Nik hiss and his knees buckled under him as his hands flew to his head, gripping tightly as he fell back and started to convulse.

Nyaisah was at his side immediately, pulling his hands away from his head and holding his wrists down as she watched his eyes roll back and blood start to pour from his nose. It ended soon enough and when Nik blinked, the she-wolf's tail began to wag slightly. It was NIK she was staring at and he grinned back at her, flexing his wrists and pushing her off, albeit without causing harm. Pale blue eyes met Lyra's then with anger and grief, stubborn will and hurt, and a gratefulness and love he didn't try to hide as he rose.

"You are brilliant. Wrong about pretty much everything you said, but brilliant. Now where is Rhelic? I am so tired of f***ing people in my head and I'd damn well like to know who these new ones are so we can kick their asses."

Peering back across her shoulder watching through a mask that was trying to stop herself from losing her own mind, her father kept himself close almost like a border between whatever the hell was going wrong with the lad and her. Defensive through and through; they watched unsure of what to do or how to go about it. Nyaisah had experience in a sense dealing with such a thing where she did not. And that alone ripped her gut apart.

Waiting till it seemed it had passed, Tiron narrowed his gaze to the boy very hesitant to the whole thing as she let out a shaky breath. "I know I was wrong, Nik. But I needed something to make you do something," she was muttering, before she pointed towards the council base. "In the base like she would be with the witch," her tone had gone monotone, sliding a step back away from him she shook her head. "Go and take Nyaisha with you."

She was tired honestly, tired of having to keep escalating and falling down this emotional ride of hell and back. She couldn't keep it up and it seemed Tiron was aware of it. Putting himself between very effectively, Lyra turned her gaze away. "You are doing this alone, I was honest in saying I can't keep doing this Nik. Separation might be exactly what we need."

He felt as if she'd stabbed him and each word she said only twisted the blade in deeper.

Nik stared at her, very differently this time, with all the hurt he felt. She wanted him to go. He was too much for her. Too big of a problem. Not what she wanted. The halfbreed felt numb in that moment, a cold that spread over every inch of his body as too many emotions clamored for attention. Anger was there and it was potent. Anger over her giving up, anger at whoever was doing this to him, anger at the injustice of it. And betrayal. It sat in his chest like cold fire and the halfbreed let everything shut down in his face. It was far more complete than he'd been before and Nik took a step back and straightened.

"If that is what you wish, ástin mín."

It was quiet and filled with more messages than even he could decipher right now and Nik looked to Nyaisah as the werewolf looked between the both of them with a panicked expression on her face. Her silver eyes met pale blue and Nik's will there was clear. "Stay with her. Keep her safe." The wolf whined, took a step toward him and then stopped, her oath binding her and Nik smiled just a bit before he took one last look at Lyra and then her father....and then bolted.

He didn't go to the council. He'd been stupid to ask for Rhelic. They'd not been able to help him before and they couldn't help him now. No, he was going to fight tooth and nail to stay himself for as long as he could...and he was going to find the people who were tearing his life apart.

"Again!" he snapped at her, alarmingly blue eyes glared at her causing her to lunge at him only to find herself tumbling head over heels to the dirt. "Are you going to get up princess or would you like me to haul your sorry hide up?"

"Rune!" She spat rolling aside just in time to escape him diving his fist into the ground, "I surrender." she winced cowering at the fellow half breed demon - though certainly a lot more aggressive than she ever had been, he scoffed at her openly.

"Of course you do," his mouth cocked into a half grin, half scowl stepping over her to stop and look down at her. "It amazes me Tiron has you for an offspring, and you expect to master your demonic heritage. Well princess, it's been a month since you did one thing right." Kneeling down, she was scowling up at him, "We don't accept the weak, we might be half demons you and I, but we are more than those elves and those beneath the elves."

Huffing blowing her bangs out of her face, he reached forward grabbing her chin to tip it upwards. "A woman should not be protecting their husbands you know that right, you married a nothing. But just you wait," he grinned smugly, somewhat softly, "Soon as your father has your mother annul that sham of a marriage, you'll be treated to a real husband."

She said nothing, it wasn't like she could. She could but she knew with him in her face, Rune would only manage to strike her off guard again. He released her chin, "Go home, your filthy."Plated boots creaked under his weight as she dared to get up, his hand grappling around her own to jerk her forward to her feet. Thin irises watching her with delight, she yanked back. "Soon you'll realize princess, that your mistake will be forgotten. What man runs away and lets his bride make the choice to leave. One that can't stand on his own feet, pathetic disgrace."

Scratching her head, running her fingers downwards to fall short at the nape of her neck, she glowered at the ground. Rune didn't know what he was talking about but why... did she want to believe it. As much as she hated it, she was alone... yearning for someone's comfort again and yet she knew that wasn't going to happen. She was tired of being the one in control, she wanted... exactly what Rune said.

"I say again, Arkne, you should not be going back."

"And I reply once more, Sevore; I didn't ask for your opinion." Nik's voice was granite as he reigned his horse in and looked upon the city of Cata. The man by his side was red of hair, far older than Nik was, but robust and he frowned, glancing over at the halfbreed. "She didn't want you, Arkne, just as the Sidhe didn't. You would be better to-" He stilled, words cutting off as lightning crackled about his neck in a ring and pale blue eyes looked over, cold and dangerous. "Don't try to get in my head. That didn't work so well last time, did it? And I told you, I don't want your advice. Don't make me repeat myself."

It was spoken calmly and Sevore remained still, Nik only releasing him when another voice spoke, a feminine one. "Arkne, much as I would like to see you fry the Fourth Elemental, lets save the violence, hmm? In a city of demons, we might need it....not that you need to recharge..." That last bit was mumbled as the female came up alongside the two males. She was blue of hair with the same tinge to her skin, lithe and young, probably in her teens. Tesna was a water elemental and Sevore one of fire. The two could not have been more different and yet, between them they'd managed to teach Nik far more than he'd learned with Lyra. "And besides, we were in your head to help, remember? You can't blame us for the fact that some of our kin got a little crazy."

Nik smirked, not answering and looked back at the city he knew Lyra to be in.

Sevore was right. It would probably be better if he didn't go back. Probably wiser. But he had to. In the last month of hell and confusion, her face was the only thing that had gotten him through it, that had kept him going. Even when he didn't want to see it, even when he was furious at her, it was still her memory that had kept him sane. He loved her. She was infuriating and she'd hurt him - probably just as much as he'd hurt her by leaving - but he loved her and he wasn't going to give her up.

Oh, he knew those around her would be telling her to. They were so fickle with their assessment of strength and what it meant, but he wasn't going to be surprised by the things they'd say. Not anymore. He'd had time to grieve as he wished without anyone judging. He'd gotten through the nights of terror without help, he'd figured out his problems on his own and he'd found the source of his new tormentors on his own, learned what he needed to on his own and maybe it had made him harder to everything around him, but that was what everyone had wanted, right? The world and everyone in it seemed to want to turn him into a bitter, wild creature who didn't care about anything and yet was willing to fight over everything.

Nik clenched his teeth as he spurred his horse toward Cata.

----

Nyaisah didn't like Rune. No, scratch that, she hated him and the werewolf growled at the male as he left, not hiding her displeasure with him in the least - part of the reasons the demons respected her kind so much and vice-versa...usually. She didn't like what was being said about Nik, what had been said for a month now and she was irritated with Lyra in the same way she was with the halfbreed. They were both being idiots! Morons! Stubborn, pig-headed, cubs! She would knock their skulls together when the time came. The canine huffed to herself as she pushed away from the ground, having been soaking in the sun while the spar went on, and she approached Lyra, tossing her a canteen.

"Drink."

While the she-wolf had become far more gruff in her mannerisms and far less patient, she was still protective of Lyra and she was always looking out for her well-being. It wasn't just the command Nik had given her either. Nyaisah truly did care for Lyra, just as she did Nik...even if she thought they were both being stupid.

Eyes peeled back watching the canteen being tossed to her, Lyra watched where it had fell blinking slowly as her feet were beneath her She ignored it actually, then again she mostly ignored most things a self taught technique though it proved quite useless with the wolf. Nya was probably the only one she did sort of speak to but even then it was lacking. She knew the wolf was frustrated at her, with her and honestly she had tried to send her away a few times back to her actual alpha.

"Keep it," she muttered, Rune flicked his gaze towards the wolf narrowing his sights on her. He could've cared far less what this four legged creature thought of him, he wasn't here to impress her.

Walking up beside the shorter woman, Rune chuckled at her expense. "It is always an experience with your lap dog. Glaring and huffing as if it mattered." he threw her a look. Sure the demons appreciated her tough exterior but to him, the mongrel was just there serving less purpose than a rug on a carpet floor. And he wasn't remotely concerned whether or not it tried to take him down. He was a Merc for a reason. The only reason he was here was for Lyras benefit. He was the only other adult elven half breed like herself but he grew up with exploring his demonic side, she did not

Lazily an arm came around to loop against her shoulders, Lyra making no motion to sweep him away, but her gaze certainly found his. "Such hopeless eyes," he muttered, "You spend too much time wallowing in what was, it dampens your resolve. Come on princess," Rune tilted there way into the village of demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.