Case File 1: Heartbreak Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Approaching the Shandor Building."

Came the reply from the front as soon enough, the infamous building came into sight as they drove on in, down an alleyway and down a concealed ramp that opened as they approached, dropping quickly as they descended. Into darkness briefly they went, before the lights flashed on and finally they parked.

The lot was immense. Lots of cars, and at least five military grade vehicles, including a tank. From that point...The choice was their own.

How do they go about this investigation?

And who would they seek out first?

For her part, Maiya stepping out of the side would remark.

"I'm going to the library. There's someone there I'm going to compare notes with. When you're ready to leave, seek me out and I'll drive you to your destination."

@C.T. @Thuro The Assassin Potato @BarrenThin @TheSpringwoodSlasher @OrlandoBloomers

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
He adjusted his coat, then looked at Emiya's guns. "Mister Emiya, I would not recommend placing too much faith in your weapons if I'm even in the neighborhood of the threat we face. Shooting a Horseman is about as effective as poking a bear with a slightly sharp stick. You'll stop him in his tracks, yes, but you won't even hurt him a little."​
"The warning is appreciated, but do not concern yourself with me. I can handle myself. I've stood my ground against ethereal beings many times more powerful than myself. And if the opponents we face are actually of flesh and blood like me...and wield magic? To them, I would be agony itself."

DdnaePm.png

"Everyone who wields magecraft such as mine has an origin. Mine is in severing and binding. To cut and tie. Picture, if you will, I cut a thread and then tie it back together. The thickness would be different where the knot is. No getting around that change. Irreversible. My Thompson Contender, as said a bit earlier, harnesses that origin in custom made bullets. If the target is using magic against me when one of those bullets pierces their body, it will obliterate their Magic Circuits. The circuits would then reconnect improperly. The more powerful the Mage, the more Magic Circuits get destroyed. They will never recover, neither as a Magus or as a human. Their magic goes out of control, causing their body to rip itself apart. Heart, lungs, stomach, liver, on and on. Torn asunder. No less than heretical Magi deserve. Let us hope those are the adversaries we run into." He exhaled.

"If not, I will think of something." Kiritsugu turned away, heading off after Maiya. "Compare notes?" He questioned, falling into step behind his assistant.

@Saint Guillotine @BarrenThin @TheSpringwoodSlasher @Thuro The Assassin Potato

"The warning is appreciated, but do not concern yourself with me. I can handle myself. I've stood my ground against ethereal beings many times more powerful than myself. And if the opponents we face are actually of flesh and blood like me...and wield magic? To them, I would be agony itself."

DdnaePm.png

"Everyone who wields magecraft such as mine has an origin. Mine is in severing and binding. To cut and tie. Picture, if you will, I cut a thread and then tie it back together. The thickness would be different where the knot is. No getting around that change. Irreversible. My Thompson Contender, as said a bit earlier, harnesses that origin in custom made bullets. If the target is using magic against me when one of those bullets pierces their body, it will obliterate their Magic Circuits. The circuits would then reconnect improperly. The more powerful the Mage, the more Magic Circuits get destroyed. They will never recover, neither as a Magus or as a human. Their magic goes out of control, causing their body to rip itself apart. Heart, lungs, stomach, liver, on and on. Torn asunder. No less than heretical Magi deserve. Let us hope those are the adversaries we run into." He exhaled.

"If not, I will think of something." Kiritsugu turned away, heading off after Maiya. "Compare notes?" He questioned, falling into step behind his assistant.

@Saint Guillotine @BarrenThin @TheSpringwoodSlasher @Thuro The Assassin Potato

Ichabod simply shook his head as Emiya left before he could respond. The Horsemen didn't feel pain. They didn't use magic. They were just instruments of death and mayhem. Conquest was perhaps the most dangerous; nothing Emiya did would faze the entity. The only way to stop him was to stop his plague. If they were lucky, Ichabod was wrong about the threat they faced. He prayed that was so.

But, if he wasn't, Emiya would face a very rude awakening.

@C.T.

• Useful
Reactions: C.T.
Kiritsugu turned away, heading off after Maiya. "Compare notes?" He questioned, falling into step behind his assistant.
It was obvious she had taken the time while Kiritsugu was away at the White Chapel to familiarize herself with the place. Even going off of brief memory with the map she had acquired, she walked as one who had been here all her life. Not a step was wasted, not a bit of hesitation seen.

At any rate, it was a very unique place to look around. A Government Watchdog association for the Moonlit World, the Hidden Societies and one of many, from Japan's SDC to the British Empires Hellsing Organization to the worldwide Church divisions, from the Burial Agency to the more black-operations Iscariot XIII. Yes, if anything it was a testament to Humanity and their ability to fight back should anything happen. The only question was simply this.

Would it be enough?

Humans and otherwise passed by the party members, of all kinds. Each one in a uniform or suit as they went about the relatively quiet work of ensuring the Accords were kept. But eventually, for those who entered the Library like Kiritsugu decided, they would see the following.

hellboy_scene___semi_circle_room_by_enexus-d4j629z.jpg

It was a cozy little area, and behind the desk examining an array of books would be a new figure. Somewhat...Fishy looking in appearance.

.....Literally.

He looked up and courteously replied to those who had come.

doug-jones-as-abe-sapien-in-hellboy-2004.jpg

"Oh, hello there! Abe Sapien, at your service. Scholar of the Occult and research assistant should you actually find anything in your investigations. Maiya."

"Abe."

Maiya greeted him with a courteous nod, their meeting obviously not the first one as she turned to those here and spoke. Her words meant for her boss, but applicable to everyone.

"You have the evidence folder, but you currently need direction in which to aim the investigation. In that regard, the Professor said that he would trust to the collective minds here as well as the support we're able to give. I will drive you all to wherever you wish as well as get whatever weapons I am authorized for. Anything special will have to go through one of the Executors on this joint project."

"I on the other hand, can help identify whatever you may find, provided enough evidence is collected and information is clear. The more you find, the more I can assist. So to whit, I also have a list of locations I am slowly compiling with someone on that might prove to be fruitful investigation grounds, coupled by his personal experience as well as any unusual events that occur. Beyond this, much of what happens lays upon your shoulders."

Maiya nodded.

"Your first choice is obviously the Chelsea Hotel. But we also have the bodies down in the forensic lab, if you wish to examine them among other collectibles you'll find in the folders given. Otherwise, as Abe mentioned? Its all up to you."

@C.T. @Thuro The Assassin Potato @BarrenThin @TheSpringwoodSlasher @OrlandoBloomers

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: C.T.
It was obvious she had taken the time while Kiritsugu was away at the White Chapel to familiarize herself with the place. Even going off of brief memory with the map she had acquired, she walked as one who had been here all her life. Not a step was wasted, not a bit of hesitation seen.

At any rate, it was a very unique place to look around. A Government Watchdog association for the Moonlit World, the Hidden Societies and one of many, from Japan's SDC to the British Empires Hellsing Organization to the worldwide Church divisions, from the Burial Agency to the more black-operations Iscariot XIII. Yes, if anything it was a testament to Humanity and their ability to fight back should anything happen. The only question was simply this.

Would it be enough?

Humans and otherwise passed by the party members, of all kinds. Each one in a uniform or suit as they went about the relatively quiet work of ensuring the Accords were kept. But eventually, for those who entered the Library like Kiritsugu decided, they would see the following.

hellboy_scene___semi_circle_room_by_enexus-d4j629z.jpg

It was a cozy little area, and behind the desk examining an array of books would be a new figure. Somewhat...Fishy looking in appearance.

.....Literally.

He looked up and courteously replied to those who had come.

doug-jones-as-abe-sapien-in-hellboy-2004.jpg

"Oh, hello there! Abe Sapien, at your service. Scholar of the Occult and research assistant should you actually find anything in your investigations. Maiya."

"Abe."

Maiya greeted him with a courteous nod, their meeting obviously not the first one as she turned to those here and spoke. Her words meant for her boss, but applicable to everyone.

"You have the evidence folder, but you currently need direction in which to aim the investigation. In that regard, the Professor said that he would trust to the collective minds here as well as the support we're able to give. I will drive you all to wherever you wish as well as get whatever weapons I am authorized for. Anything special will have to go through one of the Executors on this joint project."

"I on the other hand, can help identify whatever you may find, provided enough evidence is collected and information is clear. The more you find, the more I can assist. So to whit, I also have a list of locations I am slowly compiling with someone on that might prove to be fruitful investigation grounds, coupled by his personal experience as well as any unusual events that occur. Beyond this, much of what happens lays upon your shoulders."

Maiya nodded.

"Your first choice is obviously the Chelsea Hotel. But we also have the bodies down in the forensic lab, if you wish to examine them among other collectibles you'll find in the folders given. Otherwise, as Abe mentioned? Its all up to you."

The Englishman cast a look at his new comrades before beginning to head down to the lab. He figured a closer examination of the bodies was a good place to start. Conquest's disease was distinct in its symptoms. If that was the threat they faced, he would recognize it. Before completely leaving, though, he poked his head back in. "Oh. I'd recommend quarantining the lab until we confirm Conquest was not involved. Do you have any protective gear I could wear?"

@C.T. @Thuro The Assassin Potato @Saint Guillotine @TheSpringwoodSlasher @OrlandoBloomers

"It was done in the subsequent time the bodies were discovered and brought to our morgue, for study up to and including the point you all arrived at the White Chapel. But perhaps you'll find something we missed. Protective equipment is provided at the lab door."

Said Abe helpfully.

To get to those work levels, Crane would be directed to an elevator, a freight one. As much for security as other reasons as they descended and were brought to the place in question.

microsoft_cybercrime_lab-100068462-large.png

Welcome to the Forensic Lab

On ready tables, after prepping would be the tools required and a mike to request other, estoric tools if needed.

There would also be the seven bodies. Three Human, Three Vampire, One identified Mage. An autopsy report would be hanging from the feet of each metal slap they were on.

@BarrenThin

"It was done in the subsequent time the bodies were discovered and brought to our morgue, for study up to and including the point you all arrived at the White Chapel. But perhaps you'll find something we missed. Protective equipment is provided at the lab door."

Said Abe helpfully.

To get to those work levels, Crane would be directed to an elevator, a freight one. As much for security as other reasons as they descended and were brought to the place in question.

microsoft_cybercrime_lab-100068462-large.png

Welcome to the Forensic Lab

On ready tables, after prepping would be the tools required and a mike to request other, estoric tools if needed.

There would also be the seven bodies. Three Human, Three Vampire, One identified Mage. An autopsy report would be hanging from the feet of each metal slap they were on.

@BarrenThin

Without hesitation after getting properly prepared, Crane stood next to the bodies and began to examine them for the telltale signs of Conquest's disease. Pale skin. Black veins. Anything. He needed some assurance that he was wrong, now that he could see them without the thick coating of insects.

@Saint Guillotine

Without hesitation after getting properly prepared, Crane stood next to the bodies and began to examine them for the telltale signs of Conquest's disease. Pale skin. Black veins. Anything. He needed some assurance that he was wrong, now that he could see them without the thick coating of insects.

@Saint Guillotine
Careful perusal showed nothing of the sort. Death was slow and lethargic, to say nothing of painful. They were literally eaten from the inside out by the bugs. Otherwise, nothing else seemed to be wrong with them. It would have been a powerful working to keep all of them under.

Or some hardcore fanaticism to keep them still for the duration of their deaths.

@BarrenThin

Careful perusal showed nothing of the sort. Death was slow and lethargic, to say nothing of painful. They were literally eaten from the inside out by the bugs. Otherwise, nothing else seemed to be wrong with them. It would have been a powerful working to keep all of them under.

Or some hardcore fanaticism to keep them still for the duration of their deaths.

@BarrenThin

A sigh of relief escaped him, despite the gruesome nature of their deaths. "Good. Whatever this is, maybe we can actually kill it," He muttered to himself. Crane began to inspect the bodies for distinct marks that might indicate deeper involvement. Maybe a tattoo.

@Saint Guillotine

A sigh of relief escaped him, despite the gruesome nature of their deaths. "Good. Whatever this is, maybe we can actually kill it," He muttered to himself. Crane began to inspect the bodies for distinct marks that might indicate deeper involvement. Maybe a tattoo.
The humans had no distinct markings. Apparently, all evidence seemed to indicate that they were just random people with no apparent connection, save all of them being in good shape when alive. What fingerprints remained had no record whatsoever, showing that they were off the grid. A look into their mouth revealed something interesting however.

Their tongues were all cut out.

Onto the vampire corpses, other then the fact they had serrated teeth like a shark and their other surviving organs, save those for digesting blood were shrunken and shriveled, there was no other identifying mark upon them.

The identified mage was the most devoured and thus most of her identifying marks were gone.

@BarrenThin

The humans had no distinct markings. Apparently, all evidence seemed to indicate that they were just random people with no apparent connection, save all of them being in good shape when alive. What fingerprints remained had no record whatsoever, showing that they were off the grid. A look into their mouth revealed something interesting however.

Onto the vampire corpses, other then the fact they had serrated teeth like a shark and their other surviving organs, save those for digesting blood were shrunken and shriveled, there was no other identifying mark upon them.

The identified mage was the most devoured and thus most of her identifying marks were gone.

@BarrenThin

Tongues cut out. Lovely. Well, that likely had some sort of ritualistic meaning. He stood tall with a sigh, then checked the insides more closely. He was fairly sure he'd found all there was to find, but there was no point in not checking.

@Saint Guillotine

Tongues cut out. Lovely. Well, that likely had some sort of ritualistic meaning. He stood tall with a sigh, then checked the insides more closely. He was fairly sure he'd found all there was to find, but there was no point in not checking.
There was nothing more to be found. But Crane had found enough to give them some kind of idea.

1.) The Deaths were slow and excruciatingly painful, yet they laid down to die and didn't cry out.

2.) The three Humans tongues, were cut out from their mouths.

3.) They were devoured from the inside out.

4.) The vampire corpses were all the same species.

• Useful
Reactions: BarrenThin
There was nothing more to be found. But Crane had found enough to give them some kind of idea.

1.) The Deaths were slow and excruciatingly painful, yet they laid down to die and didn't cry out.

Writing all this down, he rejoined the others, where he sat his notes down on a table. After casting a confused look at Abe, he began to speak. "It was not the Horseman of Conquest, fortunately. Unfortunately, that means the only historical clue we have is that word... Croatoan. The link to Roanoke. My autopsies didn't reveal too much we didn't know, but I'll say it all anyways: They all died slowly and painfully, yet without protest; they were willing, drugged, or otherwise manipulated. The vampires were all of the same variant. The humans all had their tongues cut out. Lastly... they were all devoured from the inside out."

@C.T. @Thuro The Assassin Potato @Saint Guillotine @TheSpringwoodSlasher @OrlandoBloomers

Writing all this down, he rejoined the others, where he sat his notes down on a table. After casting a confused look at Abe, he began to speak. "It was not the Horseman of Conquest, fortunately. Unfortunately, that means the only historical clue we have is that word... Croatoan. The link to Roanoke. My autopsies didn't reveal too much we didn't know, but I'll say it all anyways: They all died slowly and painfully, yet without protest; they were willing, drugged, or otherwise manipulated. The vampires were all of the same variant. The humans all had their tongues cut out. Lastly... they were all devoured from the inside out."

"Oh my. Our reports noted the cult-related mutilation, but it may interest you to know that in our, admittedly sketchy analysis we discovered that the humans were all with a mysterious compound in their system. Due to the erratic nature of the bodies, we're still working on retracing it. I'll forward the results to you and the group as soon as possible Dr. Crane."

At the least, it was one step closer to uncovering the truth....The next step would be up to the party. Where would they go next? What would they do, with all the information they had?

@BarrenThin

@BarrenThin

"Oh my. Our reports noted the cult-related mutilation, but it may interest you to know that in our, admittedly sketchy analysis we discovered that the humans were all with a mysterious compound in their system. Due to the erratic nature of the bodies, we're still working on retracing it. I'll forward the results to you and the group as soon as possible Dr. Crane."

At the least, it was one step closer to uncovering the truth....The next step would be up to the party. Where would they go next? What would they do, with all the information they had?

Eaten from the inside out by bugs. Slow and excruciating agony. Kiritsugu's brows furrowed, flashes of Odd Borzak resurfaced. Thoughts he quickly squashed and buried. That ordeal he had dealt with decisively but quite correctly, despite the pain it caused. This situation would be no different: quickly and decisively rectified. Random people(test subjects?), all in good shape and off the grid. Nobody would take note. Tongues removed(but not to silence the screaming, since they did not cry out. What then? A sick trophy? A blessing? Sacrifice?), the mage most heavily disfigured to prevent identification. And a mysterious compound(drug? Magecraft gone wrong? Something else entirely?)

He sighed. The bodies had little more to tell. "Stay in contact. I'm heading for the hotel itself. I need to see it." He turned without another word, coat swishing lightly behind as he went.

@Saint Guillotine @BarrenThin

Eaten from the inside out by bugs. Slow and excruciating agony. Kiritsugu's brows furrowed, flashes of Odd Borzak resurfaced. Thoughts he quickly squashed and buried. That ordeal he had dealt with decisively but quite correctly, despite the pain it caused. This situation would be no different: quickly and decisively rectified. Random people(test subjects?), all in good shape and off the grid. Nobody would take note. Tongues removed(but not to silence the screaming, since they did not cry out. What then? A sick trophy? A blessing? Sacrifice?), the mage most heavily disfigured to prevent identification. And a mysterious compound(drug? Magecraft gone wrong? Something else entirely?)

He sighed. The bodies had little more to tell. "Stay in contact. I'm heading for the hotel itself. I need to see it." He turned without another word, coat swishing lightly behind as he went.

@Saint Guillotine @BarrenThin
And Maiya would fall in his wake, stepping lightly as the sound of a gun safety being pulled back echoed briefly in the silence as she followed.

@C.T. @TheSpringwoodSlasher @BarrenThin @Thuro 116 Pendragon

(Follow or choose another path, its up to you.)

Gods and Monsters. That was what it boiled down to in the end.

Checking out the hotel revealed a monstrosity left behind, a collective consciousness of mosquitoes that swarmed and attacked the investigators until they were destroyed via a combination of gas line leaks and a spark at the right time. The ensuing explosion was written off and the party realized that whatever it was, could control vermin. From there, the other encounters with the help of unusual aide from Father Anghelscu to Mr. Heartland at his club increased their knowledge as they discovered more about this monster.

How it controlled corpses via insects.

How it was summoned my the Mysterium, who used the emblem of the tarot card Strength as their symbol.

About how it was a God of another age, identified as Erra. Old Gods being reborn into a new world, a god of plague and death.

The city reacted to its presence, rats and fleas and more coming out by night to plague New York City.

Until they finally had enough information to finish it.

Those still left that is.

Crane suffered injuries, a rat swarm from the shadows before they managed to get them off him.

Nottingham was shot, a snipers bullet causing a lung injury as he was hospitalized in the safe house.

Maiya, in a coma from a direct attack from Erra meant for Kiritsugu as she shoved him out of the way.

Hellboy would be aiding from another direction, facing the God on a different plane while Kiritsugu fought on the physical. A two pronged attack, that would hopefully kill the god for another countless centuries of peace, hopefully...It was still weak. Still learning its powers.

But dangerous for all of that.

And in the heart of an abandoned hospital in its place of power, the B.P.R.D. and Emiya and allies would have gone to ensure a lasting death of a creature meant only to bring about pain.

@C.T. @TheSpringwoodSlasher @BarrenThin @Thuro 116 Pendragon

@Michale CS @HeartlandTower @The Silver Paladin @OrlandoBloomers

GM: I was going to run separate adventures to bring you guys in too, since you expressed interest but its dragged on too long and I'm just going to end it. Sorry about our various RP's, but at the time I was hoping for more active players. Feel free to join in this boss encounter if you like, but afterwards it'll be a while before I run this setting for a group.​

Status
Not open for further replies.