Can't Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie looked at Nate, concerned. Her brows knitted together and her forehead creased as she saw his rustled form sit next to her. She reached out hesitantly, but paused, for a second, unsure. However, she quickly shook it off and rubbed his back in a comforting gesture. "Aw shit, Nate. Sorry she's been a bitch about this," she said.

Nate was so mad he wanted to cry. "She tried to kiss me Stevie. I was cornered. I couldn't fight my way out, since they were girls, and they cornered me. She tried to make me break my promise and if she had succeeded... I could never have forgiven myself. Luckily, I got pissed enough to shove a few of them and get the hell out of there." Nate said. He rubbed his arm. "Acrylic nails hurt like hell." He muttered. Nathan had completely forgot about the presence of anyone but Stevie. "Im sorry that I was such a dumbass and didnt just shove her into the wall the moment I saw her." Nate said. His feelings were shifting to worry; worry that Stevie might be mad at him. In his heart, there was only a place for Stevie. She really meant a lot to him. "Holy hell Nate, your whipped!" Chad said. "Oh ho, we all knew this was a long time coming." Another guy from the team said.

Stevie was touched that Nate cared so much about her, and though at first she had been worried that Nate would get tired of her, it was a relief to know that he would be faithful. She smirked at the guys, knowing they meant nothing by their jokes and muttered 'assholes' before giving Nate a kiss on the cheek. "Nate, don't worry, I'm not mad. The only reason she cornered you was because you're not the kind of guy that would kick the shit out of a girl. And I like that about you. Andrea's a fucking bitch, that's not your fault," she tried to comfort him.

Nate's anger and worry eased, and he found himself smiling. "Thanks. You always know just what to say, don't you?" He teased slightly. Te boys glared at Stevie. "Oi! We are not assholes." Chad said. "Yes you are." Nate fired back, grinning cheekily at the boys. "At least we're not whipped. Dude, you know as soon as you get a steady, sex stops." Liam said. Nathan rolled his eyes. "I don't care about sex guys. I don't. All I care about is that Stevie makes me happy." Nate said truthfully.

Stevie rolled her eyes but laughed nonetheless. Her face turned slightly red at Nate's words. He's such a sap, she thought. It was a surprising side of him, but if she were honest, she kind of liked it. "He's lying," she joked. "I have a week to put out, otherwise, we're over." She laughed again before taking another huge bite of her burger.

Nathan looked at her in shock, before realizing her jest. Nate rolled his eyes and ran his hand through his hair. You could hear a collective female sigh through the lunch room. "Now that sounds more like you buddy." Chad said smacking Nate on the back. Nate coughed and glared at him. "Shut it."

Stevie laughed along with Chad as Nate told him to shut it. She got up and threw out her lunch before sitting back down to give Nate another kiss on the cheek. She wasn't normally so public with her affections, but it looked like Nate could really use some affection right about now. "I'm going to head outta here first, but I'll see you outside at the end of the day, alright?" She said to him before grabbing her books and heading to her locker. Stevie liked to leave lunch a minute early to beat the rush of people in the hallway and reach her locker (which was on the other side of the school unfortunately) in time for class.

((If you want you can time skip to the end of the day))

Nathan smiled at Stevie. "Ill see you then." He said.
At the end of the school day, Nathan was waiting outside of the school for Stevie, talking to the football coach about maybe joining the team in the fall. The coach seemed pleased, and Nathan was pretty much guaranteed a spot as quarterback. The coach left and Nathan leaned against the wall, his sunglasses protecting his eyes from the harsh sun. Nathan's mind went back to lunch, and Stevie's comment. A week to put out, or they were through? Was that really what Nate was like? He thought about the ease with which his friends believed it. Was that what everyone thought of him? Was he just sex and sports to everyone? Sure, he had sex with a lot of girls, but he wasn't like that, was he? Nathan frowned. He didn't want to be the jock that had no brain and could never have a real girlfriend because he only thought about sports and sex. Nathan was committing to Stevie. Was that too 'out of character' for Nate so that it wasn't believable?

Stevie was walking outside looking for Nate when she finally spotted him. Even with his glass on she could tell he was deep in thought."Nate," she said, trying to catch his attention, "u can hear you thinking from here, what's up?" She walked up next to him and leaned against the wall, letting some of her weight rest against him.

Nate looked at Stevie and smiled. "Oh, just thinking about lunch today." He said, reaching out to take her hand in his. "I talked to the football coach." Nate said, trying to change the subject. "He wants me as a quarterback. I told him you convinced me to do it." Nathan stood up straight, not leaning against the wall.

Stevie saw that he was trying to change the subject but didn't press further. She knew that he would bring it up eventually, and if he didn't then she would. Instead, she looked at their hands that were now intertwined as she listened to Nate talk about football. She let out a small smile before looking back at him. "Congrats, Nate! I told you he would let you become quarterback. Now I bet you can't wait until fall," she said.

Nathan shrugged. "Im content to wait. It makes it that much sweeter in the end. Plus, I want to savor every moment with you." Nathan said, smiling. "You know, I plan on dragging you to every single one of my games. You'll be there when we win and lose. Though, I'm betting on winning more than losing." Nathan said.

Stevie tried in vain to fight the small flush on her cheeks and with the hand not in Nate's, she rubbed at her neck awkwardly. "Oh geez, Nate, you're so cheesy. I'm not your fucking cheerleader," she groaned but it held no real venom. Even if they weren't now dating, Stevie wouldn't have missed one of Nate's games for the world.

'Fall, huh?' She thought to herself. It was so.. Far away, but it was nice that Nate sounded so confident that they would still be together months in the future.

Nate smiled. "Come on. We have homework to do. My place or yours?" Nathan asked, gently squeezing Stevie's hand. "Plus, I don't like cheerleaders. I like you." Nathan said. Nathan knew she meant no venom, and knew she wouldn't miss his games for the world. Plus, he noticed her blush and his smile widened

"Let's go to yours," she said, getting off the walls and starting to tug on Nathan's hand to urge him forward. "I want to get it all done and then we can relax," she said, happily. "And get that stupid grin off of your face," she grumbled.

Nathan laughed and followed Stevie. Nathan walked beside her happily. But his earlier worries nagged him in the back of his mind. They got to his place and, surprise, his roommate wasn't there. Nate sat on the couch.

Stevie stayed silent as they made their way back to Nate's room. She was counting on the fact that his roommate wasn't there, he never was. Once inside, Stevie made her way to the couch he sat on and plopped down next to him, leaned back and stretched like a cat on the couch. "Alright, Nate, fess up. What's on your mind, man?" she asked as she turned to the side and lifted her legs to lay on his lap as a footrest. "I can tell it's bothering you, whatever it is."

Nate looked at her and frowned. He had been hoping she wouldn't press the issue. "Stevie, I..." Nathan sighed. "What you said at lunch. The week thing..." Nathan started. "Not only that, but how everyone seemed to believe it, though you were only joking." Nathan pursed his lips. "Am I really like that? Is that what people think of me? Is believing that easier than believing that I really want to commit to you? Is that how I come across? Are those the things said about me? Because I don't want to be that guy. And I'm not; to myself at least. But if everyone thinks of me that way, is that who I really am?" Nathan said, his green eyes dark with meloncholy.

Stevie listened to Nate as he spoke what was on his mind. Her brows rose up behind her bangs and she moved her legs and changed her position on the couch so that she was leaning against him with her head on his shoulder. She thought of the words she was about to say carefully before she spoke them aloud. "To put it simply. Yes. You are like that," Stevie finally said, deadpan. She wasn't going to sugarcoat it, even if he was her boyfriend. "Well, at least you were like that. Listen, Nate. I know you don't want to think of yourself as some pig who slept with a different girl every night. But when it came down to it, you did sleep with a lot of girls and it gave you a reputation. But no one actually believes you're a man-whore. Everyone knows that you never slept with a girl who was actually looking for something serious, but the fact of the matter is, you have a history. Even I don't know how many girls you were in a committed relationship with up until me, and I'm your best friend. Your --" She paused for a minute and sputtered before finally managing to get the word out. "Your girlfriend," she finally managed to say. Damn, that word still felt weird to her. But that wasn't the issue at hand right now. "Everyone who's talking about this knows you're going to be faithful while we're dating, but the fact of the matter is, if things don't work out between us and we break up, I'm not entirely convinced that you're not going to return to your old ways and start sleeping with girls casually again. That doesn't mean that people doubt that what you feel for me is real. And that sure as hell doesn't mean that I doubt what you feel for me is real. And that's all that matters, right?" She finished her rant with a huff of air that sent the bangs in front of her face flying upwards a bit.

Nathan was silent. Hearing that... Especially coming from Stevie, his Stevie. He just wanted to hide, and claw out any part of him that was that. It crushed him. He wasn't like that on the inside, he knew. But it was how he acted, because it was what society expected of him. Nathan swallowed. He couldn't meet Stevie's eyes. "Right. Come on, lets just get this homework done." Nathan said, the fight drained from his voice. Nathan had never been in a committed relationship before. Stevie was his first real girlfriend. Nathan knew she was describing how he acted, not how he really was inside, but the words still stung. Nate grabbed his notebook and his mathbook. "Lets get to work, eh?" If it was the last thing he did, Nathan would change that reputation. He refused to conform to societal norms anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.