Breath of Fresh Air

"Why not both?" Grandpa Jenkins asked with a shrug. "They're both delicious. An' I've mixed 'em together before. Real nice. Whyn't you go ahead and sprinkle some of each over the potatoes? And maybe you could get Pumpkin to melt this bowl of butter for me," he added.

Pumpkin squeaked and jumped down to the floor. Then he leaned back with his paws up, snorting a bit.

Grandpa Jenkins chuckled and nodded. "You heard me, eh? Watch this, Nel." He lowered a nearby bowl of butter a bit, just above Pumpkin's muzzle. "Pumpkin, would you heat that up, please?"

The orange dragon let out a small flame, focusing it on the bowl until, slowly but surely, the butter within began to melt.

"Thank you, Pumpkin. Good lad," the older man said, setting the bowl aside and patting Pumpkin's head.

Noah, meanwhile, finally found his way into the kitchen. "Aw, we're not gonna eat a whole lot. Just a tiny bit. Oh! Hey, Nel! You all having fun in here?" he asked. Axle handed him and Lily spoons of glaze, and without even hesitating Noah stuck his spoon into his mouth. "Mmmm."

Nel paused thoughtfully, wondering if everything would turn out okay, but with Mr. Jenkins' insistence he took down the appropriate spices to carefully sprinkle the slices of potato. "Oh?" He followed Pumpkin with his eyes when the little dragon hopped down, watching with interest as Mr. Jenkins lowered the bowl down towards him, only pausing to give Noah a little smile and wave.

Nel's eyes were a little wide as he watched Pumpkin work, seeing the older man's hand so close to the flame, but as the butter melted in the bowl he gave Pumpkin a quiet little round of applause. "Ooh, such good control!" He praised, gentle and encouraging despite his surprise. "Very impressive."

"I was just kidding," Lily promised with a chuckle, taking her spoon with a little 'thank you', and unlike Noah took a moment to look at it before eating it, wondering what was in it and what it might taste like. It was sweet, enough to curb the sour citrus taste inside it just enough, and after she'd sampled she gave Axle a big smile. "Wow! Is there anything you can't make?" Desserts and dinners and barbecue - everything she'd tried that he made was so good!

"Pumpkin!" She cried after setting her spoon aside to be washed, having noticed his flame, and came over to crouch down next to him and pet his head. "How's my little buddy? Gettin' all the treats and kisses?"

Pumpkin lifted his head proudly at Nel's praise, even going so far as to trot around in a little circle. He went up and licked Nel's hand in gratitude. Then he heard Lily's voice. His ear fins and face lifted straight up, and he bounded over with a squeal before leaping into her arms. As much as he loved Nel, Lily was quickly becoming his favorite human. He chittered and curled up against her, wiggling in delight.

Axle snorted and shook his head. "I can make almost anything except Pumpkin's top five list these days. It's clear to me who his favorite is. What are the rest of us, Pumpkin? Chopped liver?"

The orange dragon stuck his tongue out playfully.

Noah giggled and set his used spoon in the sink. "Aw, don't worry. He'll still let the rest of us pet him." He went over where Nel was and leaned in towards the potatoes. "Oooh, these smell good! What's in them?" he asked.

With the group sufficiently distracted, Mr. Harn began prepping some of the side dishes and the main course, including simple salads, dumplings as a main dish, and fresh fruits and vegetables.

Lily held her arms open for Pumpkin when he made a beeline for her, gathering him up when he leapt to her and cradling him in both arms as she gave him a nuzzle. "Did you miss me?" She cooed, peppering him with little kisses as she moved put of the way of everyone cooking, just holding him while watching them work and instinctively rocking as if she were holding a baby. "What a sweet dragon~"

She gave a delighted laugh at Axle's faux concern, and at the way Pumpkin reacted to it. "Aww, that's not true! He just sees you more, so he misses me!" Perhaps, in some way, he also liked having a 'woman's touch'. Even though Axle and Noah were good and affectionate towards him, maybe she reminded him of the young man's mother. It was a thought that made her feel both happy and sad at once. Even if he had to miss the woman he'd made such a strong bond with, Lily would gladly give him some sort of familiar comfort, if that's what it was.

Nel only smiled at the way the little dragon latched on to her, knowing that like others Pumpkin would come and go as he pleased and it was for the best not to encourage him in either direction without a specific need for it. Like cats, many dragons would freely come to him if he didn't force himself on them, and a peaceful, easygoing style of treating them worked for Nel. Clearly, Lily's affectionate nature worked as well.

"Mm, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika," He listed off, a bit unsure if that was everything even as he shifted aside a bit to let Noah see them. "And, I think butter, eventually. How was your flight?" He'd heard Infernus land outside and leave again, but hadn't been paying too much attention. He hoped Noah hadn't decided to ride bareback on Chaital instead of just going with Lily, even though everyone was clearly fine. For many, it was a very dangerous way to ride.

Pumpkin was more than delighted to be babied, and he squirmed closer against Lily, squeaking and nudging her gently with his nose.

Axle laughed and waved a hand. "I kid, I kid," he replied. "But you're right. He doesn't see you as often, so it's an exciting event when you're around." Then his expression softened a bit. "Besides, you clearly remind him of his previous rider. No wonder he likes you."

"It was great!" Noah replied, a touch of blush tinting his cheeks and nose. "I even got to ride with Lily on the way back. It was so nice. And Chaital did some cool flying tricks, like going upside down! I loved getting to watch her from a different perspective," he added.

Then he blinked and chuckled. "Oh, yeah, we were gonna ask - is it okay if we invite Malia over for the celebration dinner? I wanted to ask first so we didn't make you uncomfortable by inviting too many people," he explained.

Lily pouted, eyes gone a bit big and watery, and held Pumpkin a little tighter. "Don't make me cry. . ." She complained, only half joking, and gave Pumpkin another nuzzle when he pressed closer to her. "Love you, too, baby Pumpkin." Infernus was hers and she would always love him best, but Pumpkin was small and baby-like; even though she knew he was fully grown, she couldn't help wanting to hold him and shower him with affection like a hatchling.

Nel smiled, utterly clueless about the way Noah's cheeks turned a faint pink. "I suppose it would be hard to see her flying while on her back," he agreed with a little chuckle, but when Noah mentioned Malia his expression softened into something almost embarrassed. Malia had always been good to him, and he did care for her, but since he was little he had always tried to be less of a burden so no one would want him to leave and the idea of not taking up more of her time than necessary clung to him even in young adulthood. It was difficult to simply say yes, even if it was what he wanted.

"If she isn't busy," he said instead, eyes drifting shyly away as he rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. "I don't mind if she's here, too." He liked all of the people around him, even if he did get nervous around crowds when they were too focused on him rather than allowing him to be a quiet observer. Sometimes, he had to force himself to go outside of his comfort zone, so he could grow. She had taught him that.

Axle only smiled gently and chuckled a bit. "I'll do my best. If you cry, then I'm going to start crying, and I'll be a whole mess." He watched as Pumpkin reached up and licked Lily's nose with his tiny tongue, and as the tiny dragon sighed happily, closing his eyes and fluttering his wings a tiny bit while he let himself get cozy. If anything were ever to happen to Axle, he knew exactly who he'd want to take Pumpkin.

Noah lilted his head to one side, smiling warmly at Nel. "I bet she'd make time for this if she was able to." He patted the boy's shoulder and headed for the door. "Lily and I were going to go invite her. Do you want to come with?" he offered.

"Or, if ya want to stay, I can give you a tour of the house while the potatoes cook," Grandpa Jenkins offered. "But there ain't no rush. We can do that later, too."

Lily managed a little chuckle at the idea of them all dissolving into teary hysterics and thanked Pumpkin for the kisses, focused on making sure he was comfortable in her arms and rocking him gently still. "Oh!" She said a bit startled when Noah mentioned going to invite Malia. "I should go report in, anyway!" She gave Pumpkin a little kiss as she startled to follow, tone reassuring as she leaned her head gently against his. "You can come with us, Pumpkin. I won't need my hands for anything." He had just gotten comfy, after all, so he could stay with her and cuddle while they walked back and forth.

"I think . . . I'll stay." Nel answered after a moment to think, nervous still because he didn't want to refuse but thinking if he stayed and got more used to the house it would be easier not to be so nervous once there were more people inside. "If you don't mind. . . I can help set the table." It was more an excuse to give himself something to do with his hands, but he wouldn't mind a little tour, too.

Pumpkin blew out a soft breath of air, as though to stay he understood and he was quite content to relax in her arms.

Noah tossed his head. "C'mon! We can ride on Chaital's back if we want to get there faster. She likes walks."

With that, he led the way outside, heading over to Chaital. "Hey, girl! Would you mind kneeling down so me and Lily can get on with Pumpkin? We're heading to Malia's."

Chaital chuffed and carefully knelt down on the soft grass, her tail swishing pleasantly.

Noah smiled and held out a hand to Lily. "I can help you both on, if you like."

Grandpa Jenkins smiled. "Ah'd appreciate that, lad. C'mon with me and I'll tell you all there is to know about this place." He stood up and set off at a slow shuffle, pointing out the various rooms of the mill house as he went. "See, that there's the main level bathroom - real important room, that one . . . and over there's the living room - well, you seen that one . . ."

"That might work!" Lily agreed as they walked out, though she wondered at her own ability to get up onto Chaital's back. "That way we might get back around the same time Fern comes back with Jasper."

She was just beginning to contemplate how exactly she would get up without putting Pumpkin down and had determined she could just go one-handed and probably make it when Noah offered his help. "Oh, thanks!" She said with a sunny little smile, and carefully made sure Pumpkin was supported before letting go to accept his hand. "I was just gonna go for it and hope for the best."

Nel was happy enough to trail after Mr. Jenkins, eyes wandering more freely now that he wasn't being asked to make tough decisions or borrowing clothes after coming in soaked to the bone. "It's very cozy." He said as they walked, smiling a little to himself. "It must be nice having Noah and his father around."

He knew once his own parents were gone that their home had felt too empty, too silent. A little noise, a little mess, and a little commotion were what made a place feel like Home, weren't they? And Mr. Jenkins had been happier lately, after years of developing a reputation of being a very angry person, at times. Nel had always assumed he had his own reasons for being cranky, and was just glad that the older man had found people that made him happy.

Noah laughed and gently grabbed onto her hand, carefully helping her up onto Chaital's back. "You're starting to sound like me. Uh-oh," he teased. "Here, you can hold onto me this time. Chaital won't go too fast, though, don't worry." He settled down at the front of her shoulders, glancing back with a bright smile. "Let us know when you're ready."

Once Lily gave the word, Noah turned around and nodded to Chaital. "Okay, Chaital! Let's go!"

The copper dragon took off across the fields, galloping happily all the way to Malia's office, and Noah giggled and hardly had to hold onto her for most of the ride. They were both so in tune with each other that he didn't need to think much about what was going on.

Eventually, they arrived at the office. Chaital slowed to a stop and knelt down. Noah slid off her back, and then turned and offered Lily a hand down. "Enjoy the ride?" he asked with a lopsided smile.

-----

Mr. Jenkins chuckled a bit and ran a hand through his beard. "Eyup. Sure is. I can't remember the last time I've been so happy." Then his eyes twinkled. "Oh, wait. Yes, I can. Today you arrived." He patted Nel's back, and then carried on down the hallway. "So, eh - any part of the house ya got questions on so far?"

Lily laughed helplessly as she carefully settled in, holding Pumpkin securely with one arm and wrapping the other around Noah's middle for balance without squishing the small dragon between them. "Oh no, I'm catching a case of the Crazy Noahs!" She declared with a little giggle, settling in for the ride with her legs carefully braced so as to be jostled the least, for Pumpkin's sake. "I'm ready!"

Chaital rocked as all large creatures did when running, but she was a smooth enough ride and Lily was used to keeping balanced atop a dragon of similar size so she wasn't at risk of falling off, though she did tire her legs a bit trying to keep extra steady for Pumpkin. It was easier having someone with her to hold onto, and she rested her chin on his shoulder to watch where they were going and to better hear his laugh. He was so bright and happy, she was sure she would never hear enough of it.

When they stopped, she let Noah go so he could get down first, carefully swinging her other leg around to the correct side of Chaital's back to accept Noah's help with her free hand.

"Smooth as a river rock!" She said with a grin, letting him assist her down and returning to holding Pumpkin with both arms once she had her hand back. "Thanks, Chaital!"

Nel turned back to Mr. Jenkins as he spoke, curious at what he might say, but found himself stunned by the words, almost to the point of feeling tears well in his eyes again. He blinked the feeling away before they could actually water, and after a pause to gather himself hurried to catch up with a flush to his cheeks. "A- Are all the bedrooms upstairs?" He managed, flustered and warm inside all over again. It was all he could think of to ask. Everyone was saying such nice things to him today.

Noah giggled back, his face lighting up with blush again. It was so comforting feeling Lily's arm around him. And when she lay her chin on his shoulder, he all but melted. She was so soft, and gentle, and he fully understood now why Jasper had been so protective of her when they first met. He would've been, too.

Eventually they reached Malia's office and he gently helped Lily down.

Chaital rumbled warmly and nudged Lily's hand with her muzzle, and then Noah's. Noah grinned and rubbed her scales. "Thanks, Chaital. You're the best. We'll be right back, okay?" And with that, he went over to Malia's door and knocked, rocking back on his heels to wait for an answer.

-----

"All the human ones are, yup. The dragons have their shelter just outside the house," Mr. Jenkins explained. "But once the remodel's done, there'll be some rooms where riders can spend the night with their dragons. Noah's real excited about that," he added with a chuckle. "There's three main rooms upstairs. Mine, Mr. Harn's, an' yours and Noah's with the extra beds."

Lily grinned at Chaital's display of affection, rubbing Pumpkin's back as they turned to head inside the office building and humming softly to him as they waited. She hoped the closed door didn't mean Malia was in the middle of a meeting, but after a minute or two of waiting she did come to open the door.

"You can check in with the others," she said, with a faint, somewhat bemused smile on her face at the sight of them. "You don't have to come directly to me." She gave her head a little shake, though, waving the mild scolding off and just gave them their attention. "Did you need something from me? I'm in the middle of a call."

Lily nodded quickly, not wanting to intrude but wanting to get the invitation out. "We'll be quick! Noah and I wanted to invite you to dinner at Mr. Jenkins place!" She would let Noah decide if they should tell her exactly why or not.

Nel nodded along, paying attention as best he could while still recovering from getting all flustered. "Like the stables?" He asked, curious despite the distraction. Many chose to sleep in the hay with their dragons, or in the loft above which was doable but not entirely ideal. Most riders were used to being rather 'rugged', if that was the right word, and didn't often mind the strange lodgings. Mr. Jenkins made it sound like something different, though, like there would be actual rooms. "I- I haven't decided yet. . ." He didn't want to upset the man by saying it wasn't his room, but the way everyone seemed to want him there was beginning to make him feel almost dizzy. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, leaving his quarters and coming to the house. It would make him walk a little further to get started with work every morning, but he didn't mind walking. Maybe he would ask Malia for advice later, if she had the time. Talking to her always helped him make sense of things.

"Oh, trust me. We had to come directly to you for this!" Noah burst out, practically bouncing. He pulled in a breath and tried not to yell. "My father adopted Nel, and we're having a celebration dinner tonight and were wondering if you wanted to come!"

Chaital chuffed from nearby, shuffling her wings a bit in excitement.

-----

"Eh, sorta," Grandpa Jenkins said with a shrug. "But they're gonna be a bit different. Noah wants to make 'em so riders can sleep right next to their dragons if they want. Maybe stick a bed on one side of the stable. It's still in the works," he admitted.

He headed into Noah's bedroom and picked up the music box. "Well, whatever you decide, feel free to consider this your room too whenever yer here. An' if you ever want a nap and have trouble sleeping, just play this. Works wonders. Do you know how to use it?" he added, holding the music box out.

Malia raised an eyebrow at Noah's enthusiasm, staring at him for a moment in silence. "Adopted him?"

When she looked at Lily, the young rider nodded quickly. "It's true, I was there." She said, excited but much more sedate than her counterpart. "Nel's a little confused, but I think he's happy."

Malia considered for another moment, then gave a soft, fond sigh. "All right. When should I be there?" This wasn't something she could miss.

Nel was still trying to picture the stable/bedroom combination and what an endeavor it would be to build when they reached Noah's bedroom, eyes wandering and taking it all in better than he had the first time he'd seen it. With several beds in the room, it made it feel as if the younger man was begging for company. Nel couldn't help but smile a little, though it shifted into something more curious when Mr. Jenkins held up the music box.

"I don't think I've seen one. . ." He admitted softly, tilting his head a bit as if to see it better and trying to think of if he knew anything about them. "You . . . wind it up, like a clock?" He was certain that was it, but it felt too delicate for him to attempt it on his own. He didn't want to accidentally break anything important.

"Well, technically I adopted him first," Noah said with a chuckle. "I wanted him to be my brother. But my father said yes right afterwards!" He beamed and leaned back on his heels. "Maybe around half an hour or so from now? The food should be done then. Or if you have time now, you can ride back with us." He waved a hand. "It's going to be a pretty casual, relaxed dinner, so - whenever you're able to will work. I know Nel will be happy to see you."

-----

Grandpa Jenkins smiled and nodded. "Eeyup, that's exactly it. Like so." He demonstrated, showing Nel how to turn the crank, and the music box began playing its melody. "It usually goes for a minute or two when it's fully wound up. Gorgeous, ain't it?" he asked.

The music box slowed to a stop, and the old man held it out towards Nel. "Here. You try it, lad. Get a feel for the thing, eh?"

Malia couldn't help a small smile at Noah's insistence that he was first, because it did seem more like something he would do and simply drag others into. She would get the rest of the story from Axle later on. "I'll walk over on my own after I wrap up a few things, thank you. A half hour?"

Lily nodded, smiling brightly for the woman. "Yup! We promise not to eat without you!" She gave Noah a little tap on the arm with the back of her hand and nodded back the way they'd come. "Come on, Noah, let's get back before Jasper does." If they were quick enough, she might have a little time to sit down and give Pumpkin some stationary cuddle time before they ate.

"Oooh," Nel murmured softly, listening carefully with his eyes glued on the music box as it played. "It's very pretty." It played its own little song, a little tin-y in its sound but beautiful in its own way. When Mr. Jenkins handed it to him, he felt almost like his hands would shake.

"I - It looks so delicate. . ." He protested, holding it very, very carefully and not quite moving to wind it on his own just yet, his eyes finding the older man's. "Is it really all right for me to touch it? Isn't it Noah's? I- I don't want to break it." Something so pretty and delicate was something meant to be kept on a shelf and never touched, wasn't it?

"A half hour," Noah agreed, smiling and following after Lily. "We'll see you there!"

He grinned and hopped up onto Chaital, offering Lily a hand up again. "Actually, maybe we should give Jasper some time to settle in without me there. I have . . . a lot of energy, sometimes, and I feel like he and Nel are going to jive really well together. I don't want to interrupt their meeting, you know?"

-----

"It's the family's," Grandpa Jenkins said proudly. "But, eh, lad. This here is a home with dragons about." He took the music box from him gently and let it drop on the floor, where it hit with a dull thud. Then he picked it up again and grinned. "It might look delicate. But like the rest of our family, it's strong and good looking. Yer not gonna break it unless you got the strength of an adult dragon," he added with a chuckle.

He set the box in Nel's hands and nodded. "Go on. It's all right. Give it a lil' twirl, eh?"

Lily smiled and thanked Noah for the help as he assisted in pulling her up, making sure Pumpkin was settled and automatically loping her free arm around Noah's stomach for balance. "He's a grumpy old man," she said of her friend with a little laugh, "but that doesn't mean you have to try and change for him. He'll ask for space if he needs it - and besides, he likes Nel cuz Nel treats his little babies like he does. Nothings gonna change that!" Nel was one of the few people Naga liked, and the only other person willing to let her climb on him and chew on his hair, or to endure Nobu's sometimes painful affections without complaint. Anyone who was nice to Jasper's little dragons was already on his good side.

"Anyway," she continued as they started to move, "he and Nel get along okay since they're both content to let the other person be quiet and work even if they're near each other. Jasper's just a grumpier version!" They could both be quiet and 'chill' when the metalworker wasn't all riled up by something or other, and even if he was Nel's calm did wonders for helping the other young man simmer down. Noah's cheer wouldn't make anything bad happen.

Nel blinked when Mr. Jenkins took the music box from him, and nearly shouted when the man dropped it on the floor. He still jumped, as it was, making a startled sound and pressing a hand to his chest like it hurt his heart once it thunked harmlessly to the floor. He heaved a relieved sigh when it was fine, closing his eyes for just a moment to try and settle his rapidly beating heart.

"Th- That was terrifying," he admitted even as the older man pressed the box back into his hands, and after a few careful breaths to calm himself down managed to turn the little mechanism even with shaking hands. Now that he could make himself do it, it did feel rather sturdy, taking a bit more force to turn than he had thought it would.