Breath of Fresh Air

At first, Mr. Harn didn't even realize Nel was talking to him. He assumed he was talking to Pumpkin. But when a silence hung in the air and he felt Nel looking at him, he blinked and glanced over with a soft chuckle. "Oh! Apologies. I didn't realize you were addressing me." He smiled and nodded. "I did live in Upper Floaten, until recently. Now I live here with Grandpa Jenkins. I own a dragon saddle factory in Upper Floaten, but with the elevator I made recently I can commute to work whenever I need to."

His eyes sparkled. "You know, now that you've got a dragon of your own, we ought to get you and Noah fitted with up to date equipment." He glanced back and forth briefly before lowering his voice. ". . . Don't tell Lily. But Noah intends to gift her a set of equipment as a surprise thanks, for saving his life. He's very excited about it."

-----

Just as fun? It seemed even more fun this time, especially since Noah had an excuse to ride with Lily and spend time with her. He giggled in delight when Infernus took off with a running start. His stomach dropped a bit with the change in gravity, but not alarmingly so, and his goggles kept his eyes free to gaze around at the layout of the city. He whistled and nodded. "This view never gets old. Seeing everything from a dragon's eye," he told Lily.

Chaital called out happily and darted back and forth across the sky. She gave Infernus plenty of space, but she'd occasionally fly higher to practice darting between pipes, or she'd dive and take a quick turn at the last second.

Noah waved at her briefly with one hand before holding onto Lily again. "Great job, Chaital! You're doing amazing!" So that's what she looked like to everyone while flying. Her scales glistened in the sunlight, and she looked absolutely majestic.

Nel didn't mind the silence, though he wasn't sure what to do about being ignored. He was sure Axle was just lost in thought, and would have simply gone silent and not asked again if the man hadn't eventually spoken up. "An elevator?" He managed, a bit stunned at the thought. One that went all the way to Upper Floaten? He didn't know a feat of engineering like that was even possible, but he chalked it up as usual to his lack of traditional schooling. Perhaps things like that were normal now and he just hadn't heard.

"I- I have some money saved. . ." He said shyly, gaze straying back to Pumpkin rather than continuing the fight to maintain eye contact with the man he was actually speaking too. "I just haven't gone anywhere yet. . . It's very nice of him to want to get her something. I'm sure she'll like it."

A saddle was going to be expensive if he got Soot one that was decent quality like he wanted to, but he didn't really spend what little he made from the Dragonry on anything that wasn't a necessity of some sort, so he had enough saved to get one without worrying, it was just strange to think of spending the amount all in one go. Soot was worth it. If he wasn't so worried about imposing on others, he might even have seen if Jasper wanted to take a commission for one, once his current job was wrapped up.

"Never gets old!" Lily said with a grin, but in the city didn't hoop and holler like she did when they were just having fun in open skies. With Noah along as well, and a great many potential obstacles around them, she was more serious and focused, though still as lighthearted as ever.

Infernus looked up to see Chaital darting in and out of the structures above, making sure not to move suddenly up towards her or make any motion that would threaten to topple Noah from his back. Used to carrying potentially fragile packages and a great deal of letters, he was much better at being steady than nimbly dodging through obstacles as she did, though he was not incapable. It was interesting to watch the way she moved when she was flying by herself.

When they arrived at the workshop and apartment, Lily had Infernus touch down in the street when it was empty, and from there he folded his wings in to walk closer to the front doors. "All good back there?" Lily asked, relaxing her legs and twisting to look back at Noah with a smile clear in her eyes despite being covered by a mask, a hand held out to help him on his way down. "Now that you're more used to flying, I bet you won't even have jelly legs as you get off!"

"That's right!" Mr. Harn said proudly, lifting his chin. "First of its kind. In fact, I keep it locked for safekeeping. But you're welcome to take a ride in it if you'd like to sometime. I've already taken Noah and Lily."

He raised an eyebrow, tilting his head a bit. "Hm? Oh. No, you misunderstand. You wouldn't have to pay for it, lad. You're a Harn now. You're entitled to free supplies from the factory as needed." He smiled and nodded. "I can bring you the catalogue, if you'd like to look at your options without having to visit the factory."

-----

Noah giggled when the group arrived at the workshop. He carefully unbuckled himself and hopped off, rolling before jumping up to his feet. "Jelly legs? More like spring rolls now!" he joked. He wandered up to the front door and set a hand against it, a wistful look in his eyes. "Huh. Feels like forever ago you first dragged me through here."

He gave Lily a warm smile. "I'm so glad you did." Then he knocked on the door a few times and rocked back on his heels to wait for a response.

Nel could only shake his head at first, a bit astounded by the idea of an elevator that went so high but knowing he shouldn't go on it. It wasn't his place, up in the richer areas of Upper Floaten. He would have said something to that effect if he hadn't been stunned momentarily speechless by Axle's follow-up offer. It had finally clicked together, the man's name and business, and the brief, off hand mentions he had heard before of Harn Saddles. He hadn't really thought much about them before, because he hadn't had a dragon of his own and they would have been far beyond his pay grade even if he had, but the idea of suddenly being handed such things was - overwhelming. It was the only word he could think of.

"I couldn't -" He started and stopped, flustered again and beginning to flush a bit at the strange mix of touched and confused that he felt. He knew that families gave each other gifts, but he had never imagined being given something so expensive. "I- I don't mean t- to just take it, that - that's your business. . . I . . ." He trailed off weakly at the end, looking at Pumpkin in his lap again and feeling out of sorts as his protest died in his throat. He had never imagined he would just be handed something like that. Usually he was very good at accepting gifts, knew that it brought people joy to give others things, but everything was happening very quickly and he couldn't help the initial protest. Was it really okay, just receiving something so nice for free?

Lily was stunned at first by Noah leaping off of Fern's back, but was laughing at his antics by the time he was up to his feet again and shortly followed after him. "Spring rolls?" She repeated, with a little chuckle and an eyebrow raised at his puns. The way he touched the door to her home, though, and the way he looked at her after, made her feel warm and fuzzy inside, and for a moment she wasn't really sure how to respond to such sincerity. His words always felt so honest.

"I'm glad I did, too," she said softly, finally, and for a moment was so lost in the idea of what would have happened if she hadn't that she forgot to look for her keys.

Jasper opened the door before she could recover and dig them out of her bag, an annoyed look on his face and soot streaked across his unclothed forearms. "Who died?" He demanded incredulously, as if it was the only reason they could possibly have dragged him away from his work to come and answer the door, but did graciously step aside to allow them in. "Need I remind you that you live here? You have keys, y' know."

Lily only laughed, hurrying in so he could close the door and she and Noah could take off their masks. "I forgot for a minute! You probably needed to take a break anyway."

He rolled his eyes, but after an annoyed little flick of the wrist to lay the towel he'd used to clean his hands over his shoulder didn't really protest. "What are you here for, anyway? Shouldn't you be at work right now?"

Mr. Harn raised an eyebrow and shrugged. Maybe Nel was like Jasper in that he didn't want to be anywhere near Upper Floaten. That was understandable. But when Nel began stammering about the saddle, Acle scooted closer to him, and reached out an arm to set on his shoulder. "Nel," he said softly. "Of course it's my business. That's why I'm offering. Our primary customers are dragon riders, and we have a high cost overhead. I assure you, gifting my family saddles and supplies will not run me out of business," he promised with a gentle smile.

-----

But Noah's face immediately lit up when Jasper appeared, and he burst out laughing when the young man automatically assumed someone had died. "Damn, Jasper. You say that like we look like someone had died. I mean, I get my hair's messy, but come on."

He strolled into the house after Jasper, pulling off his mask once the door was closed and the air was circulating again. "Okay. We have great news. Jasper, you and I have another brother now! Father adopted Nel!" he burst out, flapping his hands. "We're thinking of having a celebration dinner. You wanna come?"

Nel shut his mouth and stopped trying to make more words when Axle moved closer to him. It was easier to be quiet with the warm weight of the man's arm on his shoulders, his voice soft and encouraging in ways that were familiar enough to be almost painfully nostalgic. Though he had known many kind men and women over the years, it had been a long time since he'd had a father. It felt strange to think of a man he'd just met that way, but for now he could at least accept the man's kind offer.

"A- All right. . ." He said softly, a bit flustered still but much more calm, and even managed a faint smile though he couldn't quite meet the man's eyes. "Thank you. . ." He wasn't so used to accepting gifts, especially expensive ones, but for Soot he would do anything.

"Hey," Jasper said as he closed the door, walking back towards a workbench in the shop where Naga was waiting for him, ready to work, "if you interrupt me while I'm working, someone should be dead." From upstairs, Nobu came flying down into the shop to land at Noah's feet and shove up against his legs for attention.

Lily rolled her eyes and smacked Jasper across the arm on his way by, letting her mask dangle from around her neck for now in case Jasper wanted to come back with them. "You can take a break, you've been working hard," she said, and only smiled and was quiet while Noah shared his news.

Jasper was already leaning over his the table again by the time Noah was through, and paused to raise a skeptical eyebrow at the young man. "Another one already?" He asked, almost incredulously. "Better keep an eye on him or he's gonna start collecting orphans off the street."

Lily laughed a little and shook her head at him. "Jasper! Be nice!"

After a moment of thought, Jasper finally straightened up and heaved a weary sigh, running his fingers back through his hair. "Look," He said in as kind a tone as he could manage, though he did cross his arms over his chest, "I like you, Noah, you're a good kid. You like me enough to call me family, sure. Whatever. But let's get one thing straight. He's not my father, and he never will be."

Axle Harn could adopt whoever he wanted, but Jasper had already had a father before and he was determined not to want or need another one. Axle could be a friend, some day, but never that.

Lily put a hand on Noah's back, to soothe him if he was upset by the words, but also to try and prompt him to just let it go. If Jasper was going to come around to the idea of accepting some kind of fatherly figure in his life, it was not going to be now. "We'll run ahead so you have time to wash up, okay?" She said gently, smiling tentatively for the both of them. Do you want me to send Fern back for you?"

Jasper shrugged and let the defensive posture drop, finally, giving his head a little shake. "If you want to. It's faster than walking." He didn't mind the distance, but if she wanted speed she would have to send Infernus to pick him up.

"You're very welcome," Mr. Harn said softly. "Now, eh, seeing as how you're going to be officially adopted - we thought it might be fun to have a celebration dinner. Would it be all right if we invited Jasper and Malia? And also, what would you like served at the meal? It's your special day, after all!"

----

Noah squealed in delight when Nobu came tearing towards him. He knelt down at once and scooped the dragon up, rocking him in his arms. "Hey, buddy! Been a long time. You been behaving?" He scoffed at Jasper and shook his head. "Aw, c'mon. A little good news never hurt anybody."

He burst out laughing at the joke and wagged a finger. "Don't tempt him! He might actually do it." But when Jasper's tone and posture changed, so did Noah's. He relaxed a bit, and his facial features softened. He could practically hear the subtle pain hiding behind Jasper's voice. "Hey," he replied quietly, smiling and waving his hands. "It's okay. He doesn't have to be your father for us to be brothers." He took a calm breath and nodded. "Anyway, if you have time to swing by, I bet Nel would really appreciate you being there. Even just for a little bit."

His eyes sparkled when it seemed like Jasper was going to come with. "Sweet. We'll see you soon, in that case! Oh. And Nobu and Naga are more than welcome to come with."

He bumped Lily's shoulder with his, and then smiled and tossed his head towards the door. "Hey, you wanna ride with me on Chaital this time? Give Infernus a chance to fly solo?"

"Of course," Nel said softly, focus on his own hands where he was gently massaging Pumpkin's paws still, shy under the continued attention. "Anything is fine. . . Having everyone together will be nice. . ." As much as he tried not to bother her so much anymore, he hoped that Malia wasn't too busy to come. It didn't matter as much to him what they were eating as who they were eating it with. He and Jasper weren't very close, but he did like the other man well enough. Jasper had always been a very hard worker, and was respectful of the dragons and both their feelings and their potential dangers, so he and Nel got along well enough.

Nobu lifted his front half to be picked up more easily, eager to be closer to Noah's face to nuzzle him and chatter happily as if they were having a conversation. He was perfectly happy to be held and rocked like a baby, but it made Naga watch them, debating on whether or not she was jealous enough to seek out attention from the boy herself. For now, she stayed glued to the table, eager to get to work.

Noah took the potentially divisive argument more smoothly than Jasper had thought he would, having expected a fight or at least to have to convince the younger man that he wasn't joking. A cool, understanding response took him a moment to adjust to, his eyes drifting away as he mentally backed down from the argument that never happened. "I'll bring 'em with me when I come."

Lily gave a soft, relieved sigh, grateful no one had fought or gotten upset, and managed a little laugh at Noah's suggestion even as she turned to move towards the door. "You changed your mind about riding bareback?" she asked, surprised and doubtful, and just gave her head a little shake. "I don't know if that's a great idea. Fern's used to carrying weight around, he'll be all right. Let's get back so we can help make dinner!"

Mr. Harn's eyes twinkled. "Aww, come on, now. Don't you have a favorite food or dessert? This is a special night. I want to make sure you really enjoy the dinner," he added with a chuckle.

Pumpkin rumbled and relaxed, splayed out blissfully across Nel's nap. Nothing was more calming than pets and a massage.

----

"Please do," Noah told Jasper, running his hand down Nobu's scales with a smile. "We love seeing them as much as we love seeing you!" He ruffled Nobu's horns gently. Then he set him down on the floor. "All right, Nobu. We'll see you tonight at dinner, okay? Be good! You too, Naga!" he called out.

Then he headed out with Lily, giggling a bit. "I mean, she could wear Infernus' saddle for a bit or something. But it's a lot of work to change saddles, so we might as well just ride Infernus again. I don't mind either way!"

He patted Chaital's shoulder when they went outside and grinned. "Hey, girl! You having fun?" Chaital chuffed and playfully head butted him, evoking a laugh. "Good, good. We're gonna start heading home to cook the celebration dinner!" He wandered over to stand by Infernus and waited for Lily to give him a hand up. "I hope the party won't be too overwhelming for Nel. Think he'll be all right?"

Nel flushed a little more, making a soft, uncertain sound and suddenly feeling as if he couldn't think of any of his own favorite foods. "I - I like lemon-flavored desserts . . . and simple, fresh dishes. . . I just - eat what the kitchen makes. . ." Growing up far out from any large cities, he was used to eating whatever his family had been growing on their land, whatever fish they could catch in the river or whatever they had enough money to get their hands on. He really wasn't picky, and he did not perform well under pressure when asked to make decisions that would affect more people than just himself. It was a flaw Malia hadn't quite been able to teach out of him yet.

Nobu flopped into a sit, disappointed at being put down, but beyond pouting on the ground didn't complain about Noah leaving, only sulked off to go back to Jasper and wait for when he could have attention again. Lily laughed at his dramatics and followed Noah outside, happy as she always was to climb back up onto Infernus' back.

"He'll probably suffer a little," she joked with a little chuckle as she helped pull Noah up onto the saddle behind her, "but it'll be okay. Just try not to pay too much attention to him. I know dinner's for him, but if everybody in the room is looking at him for too long he might explode." She smiled a little and shook her head, twisting in her seat to look back at him. "I think Nel will be happy to just spend some time with everyone, he just doesn't like being the center of attention." He was a very friendly person, and always kind, but better with dragons and other animals than people, as some were.

"Ooh, I haven't made something lemon flavored in such a long time," Axle said with a smile. "And simple, fresh dishes - there are so many that would pair well with a lemon dessert. I think I'll confer with Grandpa Jenkins and we'll get something whipped up for you," he said happily. He stood up and arched his back, cracking it a bit. "It's probably going to be an hour or two before dinner. You're welcome to make yourself at home wherever you'd like, or you can relax in your and Noah's room. It's very quiet upstairs," he added.

-----

Noah nodded thoughtfully as he climbed up and settled in behind Lily. "Center of attention . . . Oh! I've got it! Do you think he'd mind if we invited Malia? If we invited her over, and got my father a flashy flower to wear, the two of them would be the center of attention. And my father doesn't mind attention much," he added with a smile.

Nel was glad for the reprieve, to have the choice largely taken out of his hands, and thought he might just stay where he was to try and relax for a while, or maybe go out and see if Boulder had any aches and pains that needed addressing. He was caught off guard, though, by Axle's suggestions, and blinked owlishly up at the man from where he sat.

"My . . . room?" Noah had suggested he move in, but Nel hadn't truly taken the offer very seriously, having been used to taking up as little space as possible and causing the least amount of trouble he could. But now Axle seemed to expect him to move into Mr. Jenkin's home as well, and it had Nel wondering if the older man was going to suggest it at some point too. Was it really okay, just moving into their home like that? So soon? How easily the Harn's had accepted him was unexpected to the point of shocking.

Lily cackled at the idea of pulling Malia into the dinner just for the purpose of pushing her and Noah's father close together, absentmindedly reaching back to pull one of Noah's arms around her so she could guide Infernus into turning around and getting ready to go. "Perfect! She took care of Nel when he was younger, too, so I'm sure he'll like having her there! We can ask when I drop in to tell them I'm back." She was sure Malia would say yes. She and Nel were close, even though they'd spent less and less time together as he got older.

Mr. Harn cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. He'd overstepped again, hadn't he? Nel was a functioning adult. He probably had his own room already - maybe even a house, at his age. "Yes. Ah - if you want it, of course. Or you could consider it a guest room, if you'd rather stay in your own home. We'd certainly understand," he added. He ran a hand through his hair. "In any case, the room upstairs is available whenever you'd like it. I know Noah would be delighted to share; he's told me as much."

------

Noah grinned when Lily moved his arm around her, and he couldn't help blushing a bit. "Yeah, sounds good." He scooted closer to Lily, resting his chin hesitantly on her shoulder. "You know, I really hope Malia and Father end up together. They're so good for each other. And Father's happier than he's been in years with her and Nel around."

Nel shifted his feet a little on the carpet, looking down at Pumpkin for a moment and trying to think of how he wanted to respond. Could he even have an answer to that, so quickly? "The Dragonry is my home. . ." He explained quietly, wondering not for the first time if there were people who would find it shameful or strange that he simply lived in the rider's quarters that were more meant for transitory periods rather than full time living. "I . . . I need to think about it. . . Thank you." The offer, at least, was very kind, he just needed time to figure out what he felt about it. When his mother had been alive, she had always told him to take time to 'have a good think' over things he wasn't sure about. He wasn't as quick as others, he knew, but it was an important decision. Even if someone tried to rush him, he had to give himself time.

Lily gave Noah's arm a couple pats when he settled himself against her back, absentmindedly tilting her head lightly against his when she felt him on her shoulder and freeing the hand that had guided him to help direct Infernus into facing the right direction. "Maybe they will," She said with a little shrug, careful to be gentle and not to hit him with the motion. "If he's happy, and she's happy, I don't see why not." She'd seemed happy enough with him, in the little time Lily had seen them together, but who knew. She didn't want Noah getting his heart too set on it, just in case.

"Taking off!" She announced when they were ready, and after a little shimmy of limbs to get ready Infernus took a leap into the sky just as his wings beat down and they lifted off, a slower ascent without the room for a running start but still quick enough. "She's less serious when she's with him," she mused aloud once they had mostly leveled off, focused on keeping them on the right track but also knowing Infernus knew what he was doing and wouldn't knock them off. "I think that's a good thing. I don't remember seeing her dating anyone seriously before." Not anyone she brought to the Dragonry, anyway, though Lily wasn't privy to the matriarch's love life and had never been bold enough to ask. "Maybe your dad's just special!"

Axle smiled gently and nodded, patting Nel's shoulder. "Of course. Take all the time you like. Oh! Another option would be to switch back and forth. Stay a night here, another night at the Dragonry - but again, whatever makes you the most comfortable." He rocked to his feet and stretched. "I think I'll go help Grandpa Jenkins get that food started. If you need anything, we'll be in the kitchen, all right?"

Then he strolled off, disappearing beyond the doorway. And a few minutes later there was the sound of pots and pans clattering while he got out supplies.

-----

Noah grinned and giggled, nodding. "He is very special," he said softly. "And I know Malia's had a big impact on him. He hardly ever changes his fashion sense - but now he's wearing flowers! It's nice to see him like this."

He blinked and glanced up when he saw a shadow fall over them. And there was Chaital, flying upside down and mirroring their movements. He burst out laughing and shook his head. "Chaital, what are you doing, you goofball?"

Chaital chuffed and snorted, clearly enjoying herself.

The reassuring tones and gentle gestures helped Nel to be calm, and for a while after Axle left he sat around idly petting Pumpkin to make the little dragon happy, and thinking. What was it that he wanted? He wasn't sure he knew anymore. Everything had happened so quickly. Perhaps it was best he sleep on it, and try to come up with a good enough answer in the early hours of the morning while he worked. It was always easier to think when the only things around were dragons.

After a while to consider, he eventually picked Pumpkin gently up and got to his feet. "I'm going to go and see if I can help," he told the small dragon. "Do you want to come with me?" He would set Pumpkin down or let the little one settle on his shoulder, and once Pumpkin had decided he walked cautiously into the kitchen, not wanting to feel like he was intruding on anything. "Is there . . . anything I can do?"

Sitting around doing nothing while others worked wasn't his strong suit, even on days when he was tired. Malia had always told him he should rest more, but he often forgot.

"What a strange and temporary accessory," Lily mused, a thoughtful tilt to her head. "I kinda like it!" They were a cute little pop of color, one that really softened the businessman on sight rather than after he had spoken for a while.

When Noah looked up she did as well, and gave a startled laugh at Chaital above them. "That's not how you fly, silly dragon!" She called, grinning and shaking her head at the thought as she watched. She'd never seen a dragon go upside down for so long!

Last edited:
Pumpkin was more than happy to clamber up onto Nel's shoulder, where he curled his tail around his arm for support. Then he licked the young man's cheek and chirped. After realizing they were heading for the kitchen, he flapped his wings in excitement, very nearly squawking once or twice. The kitchen was where food was.

It didn't take long for Nel's presence to be noticed. Axle turned around from moving something. His face lit up in delight, and he held out a spoonful towards Nel. "Nel! What a pleasant surprise. Yes, as a matter of fact. Would you care to sample this glaze and let me know what you think? It's for the surprise desert." It was a sweet lemon glaze that was going to go on top of lemon bars, although those were currently baking thanks to Grandpa Jenkins.

The older man glanced over from slicing up potatoes and smiled. "Oi, Nel! Glad yer here. Say, when yer done tastin' glaze, you want to help me season the potato slices?"

-----

"I do, too," Noah agreed. "He looks way friendlier. I mean, he is friendly, but if you don't know him, it's hard to tell that."

Chaital eventually flew right side up again, gliding down until she was level with Infernus again.

And a short while later, the familiar old mill house came into view.

Nel gave a soft chuckle at the Pumpkin's excitement, letting the little dragon settle in before walking to the kitchen. He paused for a moment, surprised when all Axle asked him to do was taste something, but did at least manage to nod. Everyone was so inviting, it almost made him feel nervous about not disappointing them.

"O- Of course," he murmured softly, and stepped closer to gently take the spoon and give the rich glaze a small taste, eyes a bit wide at the flavor. He hadn't expected something with such a sweet but citrusy flavor, and felt a bit stunned at the man's talent. "It's very good." He said earnestly, and was only drawn from the somewhat embarrassing desire to ask for another taste when Mr. Jenkins called to him. "I can do that."

It was a pleasant warm feeling in his chest, being invited into their home and their kitchen so freely, even if simply helping make dinner didn't seem like something very big. In a small space, working alongside other people, it gave him peaceful memories of helping out his own parents as a small child. It was a strange mix of melancholic and happy that those thoughts brought him, but he embraced it quietly and surely. Some day, he thought, the memories would overlap and twine together so firmly they would never feel sad again.

Lily was happy for the time they got to spend flying together, however short it was. It was just something magical to share, the experience of soaring through the air on the back of such a mighty beast, and one she trusted and cared for so much. Even if it was nothing special to some people, it felt important to her.

When they had landed, she helped Noah off of Infernus' back, then followed him down to the ground with a smile. "All right, Fern," she said reaching up to him so he would set his muzzle in her hands and going up on her tiptoes to give him a kiss. "Go and get Jasper for us, okay? We'll wait for you here!"

Infernus gently nudged her with his snout, huffing his approval, and stepped back away from them to turn and take off on his own. He knew the way there, after all, and how to get Jasper's attention from outside.

Axle's eyes glittered proudly, and he nodded. "It is, eh? Wonderful. Just wait until you see how it tastes on the actual bars!" he added happily, setting the glaze aside and covering it with plastic.

Grandpa Jenkins reached out to muss up Nel's hair when he approached. "There he is! So I was thinkin' of adding some salt, pepper, maybe a few other spices. Ya got any recommendations?" he asked. With Nel around, there was even more life breathed into the old mill. And Nel brought with him a gentle, calm energy that was pleasant to be around.

And then there was Noah's energy. He burst in through the front door, grinning and tossing his messy hair out of his giggle covered eyes. "We're back!" he burst out. "Where are you all? Oooh, someone cooking?" He was just as pleasant, but far more energetic than calm.

Axle burst out laughing. "In the kitchen, Noah. You want to taste a bit of glaze?"

Noah grinned and nodded. "Yeah! Lily, you want to come taste some with me?"

"Bars?" Nel murmured idly, wondering what exactly was for dessert but willing to let it be a bit of a surprise, and only smiled when Mr. Jenkins ruffled his hair. "Oh- I'm not sure. . ." He browsed over what the older man had on hand, picking up a couple bottles to look at and thoughtfully contemplating what others might like. "Mother was a fan of garlic. . . But the cooks at the Dragonry like to use a bit of paprika sometimes. . ."

Mostly garlic had been popular in his home because they grew it in the garden, but now that he lived in a place where spices were easy to procure he was open to anything. He hadn't regularly cooked his own food in a long time, only helping in the kitchen every now and again when they needed an extra hand. He was incapable of saying no to requests for help, even when he was tired.

"Oo, samples!" He heard Lily chime in as she and Noah arrived, and a moment later they hurried to the kitchen with little springs in their steps and laughter in their voices. "But if we all taste it, we won't have any left for the actual food!"

The old windmill was a much more boisterous place than his old home had been, but if he stopped thinking so hard it was easy to let it make him feel light, and happy. At peace, like he belonged there with all of the people inside it, even if he didn't feel like he'd done enough to earn it yet. It was okay to let life give him good things, he thought, even if sometimes it was hard to accept. Everything would be okay.