Breath of Fresh Air

"Nel says it's okay to come over, Father!" Noah called happily, and Axel came walking calmly down the hill and across the fields to join them.

Mr. Harn smiled and tipped his hat before offering a hand. "Pleased to meet you. Mr. Harn, at your service. May I pet Joachim, do you think, or is that inadvisable?"

Chaital chuffed happily. Then she flopped onto her back and exposed her belly. Besides Infernus, there weren't many dragons she trusted as much as Joachim. She spread her wings in the grass to cool them off from the warm sun. Eventually, she sat up again and began preening, licking her scales with her long forked tongue.

Nel only flushed a little at Axle's greeting, shifting awkwardly backwards a half step to keep the man from getting too close. "I- I would shake your hand, but . . ." He held his arms out a little away from his body, one fully covered in tacky dragon spit, the other hand not exactly clean either. Having lived most of his life a bit isolated, and the rest of it at the Dragonry caring for large creatures outdoors and at times dealing with average livestock as well, he didn't think much about getting dirty and was almost never dressed 'properly' with vest, hat, and tie, but he knew enough to understand that clean, well put together Axle Harn wouldn't exactly want to touch him.

"Ah, Joachim is friendly," he said with a little shake of his head, always more confident talking about dragons than simply interacting with humans in his own, "but he isn't much for petting. You can touch him, if you'd like, but his scales are very tough, so it takes something stronger and rougher to feel like much to him." He didn't blame the man for not knowing that. Most of the dragons at the Dragonry weren't much larger than, say, a very large horse, plus wings.

Mr. Harn only scoffed and waved a hand. "Ah! Right. Half a moment." He reached into his pocket, and pulled out a handkerchief to give to Nel. "Here, you can wipe off with that and then we can shake hands. I'm not worried about dragon smell or anything. I already rode over here on Chaital."

He smiled when Nel described Joachim as friendly. "He is, eh? Good to know." With a slight nod to Nel, he turned and headed towards the large red dragon. "Pleasure to meet you, Joachim. May I pet you?" he asked, holding out a hand for the dragon to sniff.

Nosh laughed and climbed up onto Chaital's neck, and then lounged in the dip of it between her wings and her head. "Don't take too long saying hi, Father! We're ready to train!"

Chaital squeaked in agreement and swished her tail.

"Oh, I-I couldn't-" Nel started, but he, like most people, often automatically took whatever was handed to him, and as a good, obedient boy only did as he was told without further protest. He cleaned off his less disgusting hand and let Axle shake that, his hands calloused and scarred here and there from working with dragons and other animals alike but his grip firm. He gave a hesitant little smile afterwards, unsure what to do with the handkerchief that would likely smell a bit like dirt and dragon breath now. "I can . . . have this laundered." He wasn't sure the man would want it back.

Joachim, turning away from where he had been watching Chaital with an almost paternal fondness, looked down at Axle from above and gave a low rumble, the sound something Nel could feel in his chest when the large dragon opened his mouth enough to let some of it out. He closed it again, though, as he craned his neck down to very, very carefully set the tip of his muzzle against Axle's outstretched hand. He didn't need to get close to smell the human, but the friendly sentiment of wanting to give a greeting was appreciated nonetheless.

"You're very brave," Nel said with a pleased little smile when Joachim pulled away again. "We have some on staff who still get nervous around him." It was intimidating, surely, to be around something that could fit you inside its mouth, but Nel had a feeling he understood dragons more than many of them and it had been a long time since Joachim had made him even a bit worried. The dragon was aware of how big he was, and was always careful not to crush anyone, often treating all like they were his own hatchlings.

"I'll show you where the training saddles are." Nel said after Axle had decided what to do with his handkerchief, and started to walk when they were ready. "Joachim is very self-sufficient so he doesn't need me much, but he's had that bone stuck in his teeth for a few days, and it was starting to hurt him." He couldn't get it out by himself very easily, and it hadn't dislodged on its own, so he had done the thing that proved dragon intelligence over and over, and asked for help.

The man shook his hand firmly, but gently, and smiled at him. "That's all right. I can launder it myself," he told him, taking the handkerchief back when it was offered and sticking it into his pocket.

And when Joachim leaned down to very gingerly set his muzzle against his hand, he stared up in awe, taking in the feeling of the dragon's larger scales. "Amazing," he murmured at last as the dragon pulled away. "Thank you, Joachim."

He turned and walked alongside Nel when the boy started to leave, folding his hands behind himself. "Ah. I take it you're the Dragonry's resident veterinarian? You certainly have the skill and kindness for it," he said warmly.

Nel blinked, surprised, and gave his head a little shake as they walked. "O-Oh, no, no, thank you, but I just help out with whatever I can. Malia calls me her . . . behavioralist, but I haven't had any schooling. . ." None at all, really. He'd learned everything he knew from his parents when they were alive, and from books, and from the people here at the Dragonry.

He smiled just a little, glancing at his own arm as they walked and thinking he should probably wash it off soon. "I just think Joachim knows that the only people who would help him would be me, or her." She was the only other person who was trusting enough, and perhaps brave enough, to stick their whole arm in his mouth to reach the problem, she was just so busy running things that she didn't always have time to be hands on with the dragons as often anymore.

"Ah, a behaviorist! Certainly a much needed position in the Dragonry," Mr. Harn said with a smile. "You don't need schooling to recognize behaviors and treat people kindly."

When Nel said Joachim knew only he or Malia would help him, Noah smiled. "I'd be willing to help, too!" he told the dragon, glancing up at him. He pointed at the old windmill. "I live there with Grandpa Jenkins! So if you ever need something, you could come over and get me or Chaital. Okay?"

Chaital rumbled and bobbed her head in agreement. While Noah was still very green to dragon riding and their health and care, he was completely obsessed with dragons and she was sure he'd pick things up quickly.

Nel ducked his head a bit, cheeks dusted pink at having gotten the words wrong. If he hadn't already admitted to not going to school, he was sure that would have sufficed. "Thank you. . ." He murmured softly. "Dragons have helped me, and I'd like to do anything I can to help them, too." He smiled a little, glancing back over his shoulder at Noah. "I'm sure he appreciates it. I wouldn't advise reaching into any dragon's mouth, though. . ." He had been working with the dragons for years already, after all, and known Joachim for a long time. Many dragons didn't have the temperament for such things to be at all safe.

Joachim only rumbled back, amused by the new tiny human's eagerness. It reminded the big dragon of Nel, when he was even smaller and beamed at any opportunity to help, from cleaning scales to giving medicine and keeping sick dragons company through sleepless nights. Humans needed other humans around to be healthy, so maybe the two would be friends.

Mr. Harn beamed. "I'm quite fascinated by dragons, myself. Do you suppose you could give Noah and me an overview on dragon behavior?"

Noah giggled and shook his head. "Well, no, not any dragon. But I mean if a dragon came up and asked for help, and they were patient enough, I'd do it." He walked closer to Nel and grinned. "So, where's this training saddle at? I'm so damn excited I'm going to explode."

"Not literally, I hope," his father called with a chuckle.

"Nah, not literally. But still! I'll finally get to fly with Chaital!"

Chaital chuffed and flapped her wings a few times. She, too, was eager to get back in the sky with a rider. Especially one who was prone to actually listen to her and follow her body language.

"An overview?" Nel questioned, a bit hesitant still but much more willing to talk about dragons than himself. "Many things about dragons are very intuitive. . . If they seem angry, they are. If you think they're going to snap their teeth at you, they probably will. But I wouldn't mind answering any questions you have. Chaital is a very tame example - she's been used to people for most of her life, and has been through a lot of training. Feral dragons have different behaviors, but I don't think you'll see those much."

At Noah's enthusiasm, he gave a patient smile, gesturing forward towards the building they were angling towards. "We're almost there, I promise. Getting there is an early lesson in patience."

Axel nodded, and he pulled out a small notepad from his pocket and began taking scrupulous notes. ". . . I see. How would you describe a dragon that seems approachable, or friendly?" he asked. Nel was clearly an expert in the field of dragon behaviors, and like Noah, he wanted to learn as much as he could about the unusual creatures.

Noah was trying to listen but groaned dramatically, only to laugh when Chaital playfully swatted his head with her tail. "Okay, okay! I'll be patient!" he promised.

Chaital chuffed in a laughing sort of way and licked his hair.

"Shhh! Quiet, Chaital! I'm trying to learn," Noah teased, playfully shoving her head aside with both hands (which wouldn't have worked if Chaital hadn't allowed it).

Chaital let her head swing back hard enough to knock Noah onto his side, but not hard enough to actually hurt him, and she laughed again when her rider hit the ground in a plume of dust and dirt.

Nel blinked in surprise at the sight of Axle taking notes, and smiled just a little bit at his enthusiasm. "If you'd like, it's much easier to see in person. There are some dragons here that shouldn't be approached by beginners, but there are many that are peaceful as well."

He looked back when Noah toppled to the ground, and gave Chaital an amused but chiding sort of look. "Now, now, no play fighting when you're In the saddle. He'll already be saddle sore later."

It was a sort of barn they finally arrived at, and Nel invited them inside with little fanfare. It was only for supplies, with no dragons or people inside, and after a few minutes of searching he dragged out a saddle the correct size for Chaital. It was a heavy thing, made of leather with adjustable straps, and when he dragged it out to the grass he gave the eager she-dragon a smile.

"All right, Chaital," he said gently, "Will you give me a hand getting this on?" It was easy enough to show her where her head would go, and once she was through that loop they could pull it on over her back and start tying straps.

Last edited:
The moment the barn doors opened, the scent of leather and saddles had Chaital pausing in place. She took in a few deep breaths and tilted her head back and forth as she took in all the different sights that were achingly familiar. And when Nel began dragging out a saddle into the grass, she squealed and ran around in circles, flapping her wings.

Noah chuckled softly and nodded. "You're excited, huh? How long's it been since you had a saddle?"

Chaital could hardly wait for Nel to let go of the saddle. She shoved her muzzle underneath it at once and slid right into it, wriggling her wings to help it settle in place on her back. Then she tapped her front paws impatiently and waited for someone to finish strapping the saddle on.

"Damn, she is ready to go!" Noah said with a laugh. "How do I know how tight to make the saddle belts? I don't want her to be uncomfortable. Or me to fall off with the saddle."

Nel didn't laugh at Chaital's antics, only smiled warmly at seeing her energetic and happy again and held the saddle up so she could push her head into it. He avoided her wings with an easy, practiced duck, and just pulled the saddle into place once he was past it, taking the strap that would go around her tail first.

"Easy, easy," he urged gently. "If you wiggle too much, it'll only take longer. I'll put everything in place this time, Noah, and you can test the tension on the straps after so you'll know what to do next time. When you've tested the saddle out for a bit, I'll help you take it off and put it on again for practice. Don't worry, I don't think your hands are strong enough to pull it so tight it will hurt her. Chaital will let you know if she doesn't like it by nosing at the straps herself, or refusing to fly. Luckily for us, she knows what she's doing and how it should feel."

He was just happy to see her happy again. Before Noah had brought her home, she had been so sad.

Chaital let out an excited rumble and licked Nel's hair, and she did her best to quit fidgeting.

Noah watched carefully as Nel began adjusting the saddle straps - as well as how he avoided Chaital's wings when she flapped them. "Got it. Sounds like a plan. Oh! Um, when I'm in the saddle - how do I steer? Or do I just ask Chaital where to go and she maybe goes that way?" he asked hesitantly.

It was easy with his space cruiser; the stick shift and pedals controlled the craft down to the exact inch he needed it to move. But Chaital was her own entire being, and while he'd gotten better at communicating with her, he realized he had no idea how to communicate about flying with her.

Nel did laugh a little at the way Chaital licked him, just pushing her gently away with one hand so he could go back to fastening straps and buckles. "Let me work, my friend. You can thank me later."

When he had all the straps settled in place and tightened well enough that the saddle didn't move when tugged on, he pointed to the hand and footholds for Noah. "You'll need to learn to direct her with your body, once you're more sure in the saddle. For now, you can use vocal commands for anything more complicated than left or right. She's used to words like lift and dive, if I remember correctly, but she'll do well enough with up and down. She's a smart girl."

Smart enough to know not to go too rough on Noah on his first flight, but excited enough, perhaps, to forget for a moment. In light of that, Nel walked around to her front and offered a hand to her until she would bring her head down to him willingly, and looked her very seriously in the eyes. "Remember to be gentle," he instructed, his directions firm but his voice soft and level, "even if you want to go fast. Noah isn't going to be strapped in while I show him how to sit, so I need you to fold your wings for me and be still. Okay? I'll help you teach him."

She knew what could happen if she flew recklessly, better than most. What had happened to her last rider wasn't her fault, but he knew she wouldn't want to risk it happening again. She was a good dragon, she just needed a little calming down before she got too eager, that was all.

Noah nodded, carefully taking in where the footholds and handholds were. "Got it," he said softly. He couldn't help but grin at the way she wriggled and pawed at the ground. Chaital was just as excited to fly as he was. The only reason he wasn't jumping up and down was because he was trying to focus on learning how to fly with a dragon.

Chaital already knew how to fly with a human. But when Nel offered his hand, she blew out a long breath and tried to settle, rumbling softly. Especially when Nel told her Noah wouldn't be strapped in right away. She folded her wings and slowly relaxed. That was probably wise, getting used to a saddle while on the ground, and gradually she was standing still and a bit more at ease.

"I already know how to get up on a dragon!" Noah said happily. "Can I just go ahead and climb up?" Even he was learning to show some restraint. Earlier, he might have just tried climbing up straight away without any hesitation.

"Thank you, Chaital," Nel praised gently, giving her head a gentle stroke or two to reward her for being good and settling down as best she could. "Don't worry, I'll get you in the air soon." It would be all right to just let her lead, and let Noah get used to being in the saddle in the air before he took more control.

"Not quite yet." He directed when Noah asked to go up, holding up a finger to signal him to wait for a moment. "You still need a harness, too."

He hurried off back into the storage room, and only a minute or so later emerge with a series of leather straps all connected together which would go around Noah's shoulder, waist, and upper legs, two thick metal D-rings on either side of the waist strap. "This is what will keep you from falling. Later on, when you're more used to the training saddle, you can use just a belt around your middle, but for now it's best to use this. If you lose your grip, it can be painful to have all your weight supported by just one ring, so you'll have to endure the harness for a little while. Here, I'll show you how to put it on, then you can mount up."

Axel relaxed visibly when Nel announced Noah needed a harness. As much as he trusted his son and Chaital, they were still new to riding together, and any safety precautions they could take were welcome.

"Oh! That'll be great," Noah said with a grin. He nodded on seeing the harness, and while Nel explained how to put it on, he carefully followed the man's instructions. He stood up proudly and nodded. "There! Now I just gotta attach it to the saddle somehow, I'm guessing?" he asked, moving towards Chaital's saddle.

Chaital, too, looked relieved at the sight of the harness. Even after Noah had mastered riding, she'd be sure to insist he wore at least a safety line - something her previous rider had insisted he didn't need.

Nel was diligent but kind in showing Noah exactly how he should wear the harness and how tight it should be, to be sure he wouldn't slip around too much. "You'll have a strap on your left and right, so you cant go much of anywhere," he explained, too distracted to notice Axle's relief but conscious enough of Chaital's. "Go ahead and climb up."

Once Noah was seated, Nel showed him the straps of the training harness and how they hooked onto the D rings on his harness. "This way, there isn't enough slack to slide away from the handholds, and you can't fall back very far either. I know it feels silly, but if you let your weight fall towards me without hanging on, you'll get a better feel for what it might be like to lose your grip." He put a hand up near Noah's shoulder, just to prove he wouldn't let him hurt himself by swinging his weight against the straps too hard. "If you lose your grip in the air, it can feel scary, even if you're strapped in. Once you practice getting your hands and feet back in the right place after leaning over in the harness, you'll be all right for a test flight." He didn't want Noah to slip and panic in the air, even if he wouldn't fall.