Breath of Fresh Air

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
The other riders and dragons, if they regarded Lily at all, were mostly a mix of confused and slightly annoyed that Malia would send someone outside of their official ranks. One or two scoffed.

One of the guards standing nearby let out a lengthy sigh and turned towards the man Lily had given the letter to. "Is it quite urgent? You know how busy the Grandmaster's schedule is today."

-----

Mr. Harn nodded. "That's right." He couldn't help but smile a bit. "Noah's very excited." He went over to a seat at once when it was offered, folding one leg over and making himself comfortable. "I have some slightly good news, at least. The crystal is meant to power the backup air thrusters, primarily. Which means if and when it shatters, we would theoretically have plenty of time to evacuate the city. Provided the actual supports don't give out."

He took a breath. "The city's main infrastructure centers around seven support beams. They're quite hefty. But in the event more than three are damaged, depending on the placement . . . if those went down, we'd have a matter of minutes."

"Yes, sir," Lily managed, despite being out of place and unwelcome, putting on her best brave face inside and staying calm outside. "It's absolutely necessary that the letter be delivered, and a response collected before I go. I won't take more of his time than is needed."

Even so, it would probably be hours before she was home, she knew. She couldn't go back without the response in her hand.

——————

Malia was quite a moment, thinking, fingers running idly over a pencil from her desk as she considered the problem. "What are your insights into the stability of the physical supports? Are they in good repair? In your opinion, will they hold for very long?" The best plan was to prepare for the worst, she thought, to begin evacuations the second the crystal died, but at the same time if they sent the entire city into a panic it would be pandemonium. It was a delicate balancing act.

The guard clicked his tongue. "Very well." He pushed open a large oak door with a heavy creak, gesturing Lily inside to a shiny ceramic floor and fancy furniture. "Find a chair and make yourself comfortable. I shall go fetch the Grandmaster for you."

-----

"More good news for you, then. The supports are all in excellent repair," Mr. Harn announced. "The only thing I'm worried about is if a dragon or something else very heavy were to slam into one and cause a dent." He thought that over for a moment. "But then, that would only be one support. So even that isn't a large issue." He smiled and relaxed. "So unless something unthinkable happens, we've got plenty of time."

"Thank you, sir." Lily said with a respectful now, and turned to reach up to Infernus' muzzle. "Be good, Fern. Hopefully I won't be long." She had a feeling it wouldn't be a short amount of time, but how long was still up in the air. Infernus only nuzzled her hand, then briefly touched his muzzle to the top of her head as if to give her a kiss, then let her go.

She took a deep breath, but did so as she walked through the doorway into the sort of lobby before the Grandmaster's office, and took a seat to wait. As nervous as she was, she was determined to see her mission through. She would be respectful but insistent, and wouldn't leave without the response in hand.

—————

Malia took a moment to consider again, mind running through possible scenarios and all the staff she had on hand, all the ones that had already been mobilized. "That's good news," she affirmed with a nod. "We'll have to see if we can increase the frequency of scout patrols, to keep an eye out for any damage, but we should have time to send out a retrieval party to look for a new crystal. The trouble is knowing who to send. While our fastest are making their way to the nearest cities to request aide, scouts with increased workload, and the staff needed to care for the dragons we have here, we're looking at having to hire unknowns."

Their ranks were simply spread too thin. Either they had to locate and pay for riders of unofficial ranks, or they would have to send those that were inexperienced. Either way was not ideal.

"What are your thoughts in the powers that be, in Upper Floaten?" She asked after a pause, reaching for a small stack of papers on her desk to make a note for herself, to triple check which riders they had at their disposal and how their scheduling would need to change. "Do you think that they view this as an urgent problem, or do you think they will wrap it in red tape until it's too late?"

Last edited:
Eventually, with a great amount of effort, the Grandmaster made his way to the door and pushed it open with a loud "harrumph" noise. "Lily, I presume? What do you need?" he asked flatly. He was the oldest of the dragon riders, and sometimes wise. But he was also cantankerous and very set in his ways. He wore ornate robes and armor, and his bushy eyebrows pointed down his face.

----

Mr. Harn raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "Well . . . seeing as how there isn't any rush . . . how many people are you looking to hire? I know Noah would jump at the chance if you let him. And I'd be willing to sponsor his training, as well as anyone else you need to hire."

He scoffed and made a face, without even thinking, when Malia asked about the officials in Upper Floaten. "They're very difficult to work with. Even if you get bribes involved. Knowing them, they'd wrap up the case with so much red tape it would still be tangled in it after the incident happened."

Lily flinched at the door opening, having drifted into thought, and was quick to get to her feet and come a bit closer, so she didn't have to shout to be heard but wouldn't be invading his space either. "Yes, sir." She said with a small, curt nod, and took out the envelope she'd been given to hold out to him. "I come with a message from Malia Jekart, of the Floaten Dragonry. She instructed me to give this to you directly, and to return with your response, posthaste." She was sure Malia had dealt with the man before, though she didn't know if their relationship was good or bad. She was only the messenger, though, so she was sure enough that if he didn't like what was in the letter itself he would simply hand her another paper to take back with her and be done with it, hopefully soon. Even if all the letter said was 'I can't help you, go away', at least it would be something.

—————

Malia shook her head, making an uncertain sort of face. "I wouldn't go so far as to say we're out of danger entirely. It's unlikely the series of events needed to bring Upper Floaten crashing down will come about, but not impossible. We should treat this matter as if the supports could give out at any minute, and react accordingly."

After a pause for thought, she gave a soft sigh. "I'm sure Chaital can't wait to get back in the air, but I don't know that I feel confident enough sending an amateur rider on such a perilous mission. Your son's heart is in a good place, I'm sure, but he would have to train day and night and show a course of very quick improvement before I could even consider letting him go. If a more experienced rider had the reigns, so to speak, in his place, perhaps it would be different." But she wasn't sure Chaital would allow it. They were strapped for staff, but she didn't want to put a child in unnecessary danger.

The Grandmaster grunted and took the letter, slicing it open with a letter opener, unfolding it, and reading it carefully with a pair of glasses pulled from his pocket. Then he read it again and frowned. "Mm. This is actually from Malia? You're not attempting to prank us with such a serious matter?" he asked incredulously.

-----

"Oh, he wouldn't need to go on the crystal mission. I was hoping perhaps he could fill in for someone with a slightly less dangerous job. Perhaps he could help with security checks and making sure the supports are in good condition?" Mr. Harn offered. "As for Chaital - I suppose I could ask Lily to try flying with her and see how she takes it. But Chaital's very amicable. I can't imagine it'll be a problem to have someone else ride with Noah."

He pulled in a breath and nodded. "But you are right. We ought to treat this with urgency. How many dragons and riders are you hoping to procure? The Dragonry may have some connections, I hope."

Lily stood by at a sort of loose, unpracticed attention, waiting patiently for the man to read. The letter itself was simple enough, a statement of the problem and a request to know what, if anything, was being done about it, if any riders could be spared to go on the search for a new crystal. At the man's suggestion her eyes popped open a little wider and she gave her head a quick shake, in shock at the very idea. "No, sir! She sent me herself - She was very specific in her instructions. I wouldn't dare waste your time if she hadn't." She'd thought the official stationary and the signature would have proven the letter was real on its own.

—————

Malia frowned a little still, but more in thought than any sort of denial, sitting back in her chair a bit as she thought over the matter. "Six of our fastest are being sent out as we speak, to seek aide from other cities. We'll need all of our scouts here to fill out a more thorough schedule of watch. We are already working with a skeleton crew here, with as many dragons and buildings need caring for. It doesn't leave us with many 'extra' hands. She is young, still, but Lily has had more years of experience with dragons than some of our older staff. If the mail corp can spare her a while, she could be helpful in training extra hands. The trouble is finding them. Most of our bonded riders are already being used, and there aren't a great many dragons without human companions that will cooperate as mounts."

Finally, she gave her head a little shake. "Crisis isn't the best time for training, but if becoming a scout is something Noah wants, we can have him start training here, as soon as possible. There are spare saddles which will likely fit Chaital, if she won't take her old one." Nel had held onto it somewhere, after the incident, but she wasn't sure if it would only make the dragon sad. "If no one else is available, Lily, Nel, or myself can help him learn."

With a heavy sigh, the old man set the letter in his pocket and rubbed his temples. ". . . I was hoping it was a prank. This is awfully serious." He shuffled back to his desk and began scrawling a letter back. "And the government up here will never work quickly enough to prevent tragedy. It'll be up to the dragon riders. It often is."

After a few minutes, he sealed his letter with wax, set it in Lily's hands, and set his hand over hers, nodding sagely. "Godspeed, young one. I will wait at the pipe phone to speak to Malia tonight, at sunset."

-----

Mr. Harn swallowed and nodded, smiling thinly. "I - I know Noah would love that. In fact, he and Chaital are outside nearby at this moment. Shall I fetch them?" he asked softly. "As for dragons and bonded riders, perhaps we'll be lucky enough that some will come from other cities to help."

It was really not reassuring, hearing such an experienced man express concern over what was happening. It had to be even more serious than she'd already thought. "Thank you, sir." She managed when he briefly held her hand in his, grateful for the well wishes and maybe panicking a little inside. She tried to just breathe through it, and focus on what she could do now. "I'll make sure it gets to her safely." When he let her go, she walked out of the offices as calm as she could, and only once the letter was tucked safely away and she went through the door leading outside did she break into a jog to get back to Infernus quicker. "All right, Fern. Time to go fast."

——————

At Axle's strained expression, Malia gave a soft, amused huff and a sympathetic smile. "You are not the first parent to worry about their child being near dragons, Mr. Harn. Chaital is a good, experienced worker, and he won't be doing anything too terribly dangerous. She'll take care of him. We'll loan them a training saddle as he learns, so he can be safely strapped in for his first flights."

Mr. Harn relaxed at once, letting out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. I really do appreciate that," he said softly. "Noah's always had a knack for finding trouble, you know. And I suppose I can trust Chaital and his new friends to help keep him out of it."

He made his way outside.

And a few moments later, Noah burst back in through the door, eyes wide and sparkling. "You're going to make me a scout?!" he burst out in delight. "For real? This is amazing! I told Chaital, and she's so happy!"

Chaital's eye pressed against a nearby window, and she tumbled happily. She'd very much missed scouting missions. And being an experienced dragon, she'd be able to help train Noah too, especially since he trusted her so much already.

Malia was just getting to her feet as Noah came crashing into the room, and sighed with a small smile on her face. "Hang on to your thanks until after you've trained so hard you can't move your limbs." She shook her head at him, her tone shifting into something stern, though not unkind. "Keep in mind, only your training is guaranteed. You'll still need to pass qualification tests to become a real scout."

She turned to the window at Chaital's rumble, shaking her head fondly and walking over to push it open. "And you, Miss Chaital. Remember, your charge is young, and knows nothing. You must be careful with him. Don't push too fast." She would not say that Chaital could lose Noah, if she did anything too dangerous. It was a lesson the she-dragon never needed to learn again.

Noah scoffed and grinned. "I already fell from Upper Floaten down to here. Whatever you dish out, I can take it. And I promise I'll train as hard as I can. I won't let you down," he added earnestly.

Mr. Harn smiled and patted his shoulder. "I know you won't. You'll make an excellent scout."

It was all Chaital could do not to roll her eyes at the gentle admonishment. Oh, she knew Noah knew nothing. But in some ways that was a good thing. She could help train him right the first time, instead of having to undo improper training he may have picked up elsewhere.

But it would be harder to keep him from pushing himself than pushing too hard, she could tell. She only gave a soft huff of air and dipped her head in a nod. She would take care of Noah, and make sure he took care of himself, too.

Malia shook her head at Noah's description of what he could do, uncertain if he was joking or not, and for a moment focused on Chaital, reaching out to gently touch her jaw. "This time will be different." She murmured softly, expression soft and sympathetic. "We will see to it. You are not alone."

She gave Chaital a gentle caress, then finally pulled away from her to look at the Harns again. "First things first. You need to learn to fly. Nel should be out in the fields with Joachim - a large, red dragon, you can't miss him. Go find him, and have him find you a training saddle. When Lily returns, she can help begin instructing you."

Chaital licked Malia's hand gingerly and chuffed. She had already been assured by Noah promising to wear a security line on his saddle, and Malia's soothing words offered even more support. She closed her eyes and leaned her muzzle forward for a pet.

Noah beamed and nodded. "Go find Ned, get a training saddle. Got it. Holy shit, I can't wait! This is going to be so much fun. And Chaital and I have already been practicing me sitting on her back a lot."

The dull copper colored dragon bobbed her head in a nod. An important first step of the process was getting used to being on a dragon while moving, and Noah was already picking that up quickly.

"Anything else I should know before we go find him?" Noah asked with a grin.

Malia was sure to give Chaital gentle caresses when she asked for them, and shook her head a bit for Noah. "Listen to him carefully." She advised with a little shrug. "He can help you understand Chaital and what she needs as well as any handler we have. Go on. I'm sure you're eager to get started. You can have your father come with you, if you'd like." She looked to Axle, at that, a small smile on her face. "If there is nothing else you feel I should be informed of, that is."

Nel was still with Joachim out in the grass when he was found, and wouldn't at first notice when Noah came to find him. Joachim was almost fifteen feet tall at the shoulders, his head larger than most human bodies, and Nel had an arm shoulder deep in the beast's mouth.

Axel cleared his throat and shook his head, smiling back. "No, I don't believe so. Feel free to keep in contact if you need any other information or supplies, though."

Noah was eager to begin training, and he took it very seriously. So when he and Chaital arrived and spotted the pair, he glanced up at Chaital and swallowed. "That's a big dragon. I definitely don't want to spook him and make Ned lose an arm. How do we tell them we're here?"

Chaital licked Noah's hair approvingly. Then she let out a calling sound from a distance, announcing their presence without getting too close.

Axel stood nearby and watched with a warm smile.

Joachim was very still, despite his eyes turning towards the sound of Chaital's call. He made a low rumble but settled when Nel gave the side of his head a friendly pat.

"Almost got it. . ." He murmured distractedly, and gave his arm a little jerk back, went still a moment, then very carefully pulled it free. In his hand was a large chunk of bone, and despite having pushed his sleeve almost up to his shoulder his skin was still a bit covered in dragon saliva. "There we are. That should feel much better now, hm? You should be more careful when you're eating, my friend."

He smiled a little, unbothered by the mess and the apparent danger, and turned to raise his free hand to Chaital to show she could come closer and greet him. Noah he had expected when he'd heard her, but the older man with him made Nel pause in surprise. Did they have visitors today?

Noah waved back, grinning. "Hi, Nel! I've got some news for you!" He waited until Chaital began making her way towards the pair, and he followed patiently but eagerly at her side. "Guess what?! I'm gonna train to be a scout! Malia was wondering if you could get us a training saddle?" he added hopefully.

Then he blinked and pointed at Mr. Harn, who was still waiting on the hill. "Oh! That's my father, Axel Harn. He wanted to watch, if it was okay."

Axel smiled and waved, content to keep a safe distance while he watched the group interact.

Chaital kept her body low and folded her wings as she approached Joachim, making a few soft grunting noises and asking permission to be in his space.

Nel tossed the bone aside where it wasn't going to trip anyone, and just waited for Noah to come and see him. "Oh?" His eyes widened a bit, surprise and perhaps a bit pleased when he glanced Chaital's way, and he smiled warmly at the younger teen. "That's wonderful news. Of course. I can show you where we keep them."

When Axle was pointed out, Nel shuffled a bit shyly to be seen by someone new while he was filthy and had been doing something most would consider very dangerous. He didn't want to set a bad example. "That - That's perfectly all right. He can come closer, if he would like; Joachim isn't bothered by people. But- I suppose we'll be walking that way anyway, so he doesn't have to. . ."

The large dragon proved as much, giving Chaital a very low, friendly rumble and leaning down with a closed mouth to gently touch their muzzles together for a brief moment, giving her permission to stay. Given he was one of their larger dragons he had very little to fear from most others, and had developed a very calm disposition as he aged, regardless. He wasn't territorial like some others, and had nothing near him to protect but Nel. He knew the two were friends, and much like the others living at the Dragonry, Chaital would never hurt his favorite human.