Breaking the Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
[fieldbox=Liam Wright, #7f68d1, solid]
Roxy barked at Vere, before sinking her teeth into the toy and beginning to pull as hard as she could. Shaking her head from side to side, she tried to rip the toy out of the assassin's grasp. Liam chuckled softly, before sliding over a mug of hot coffee. "I slept alright, just a bit cramped," he replied, trying not to make eye contact for fear of blushing. However the red still spread across his cheeks at his next question. "Hey uh... Could I get your phone number?"
[/fieldbox]

Vere grinned at the dog, but being an assassin meant she had to be in tip top shape so she barely even moved as Roxy yanked the toy, though she did ket the dog hav it when her coffee was slid over to her. The female picked up the mug and took a swig, only to nearly choke at Liam's question, very few things took her by surprise but that did. She sat the mug down and let her eyes focus on him, a small smile ghosting over her lips.

"I shouldn't get attached, and neither should you. It would mean that you would become a target for the enemies of the company I work for." Vere responded after a momemt, only to sigh and shake her head, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a card with an address and city name on it and nothing else. "But, if you ever need me, you can come here. Ask for me at the front desk." She gave a small smile and put the card down on the counter, picking up her mug and sipping her coffee. She shouldn't do this, it would cause problems and put him in danger but... God, she'd gone so long without friends, so long without anybody...

Roxy growled, shaking the toy from side to side once Vere dropped it. Once she had sufficiently shaken it, she dropped it before looking up at the assassin with puppy eyes. She was panting, but after staring for a while she turned around and padded over to her dog bed.

Liam dropped his eyes to the ground, feeling embarrassed and a bit disappointed. Of course, how could he have even asked such a question? She would be constantly busy, and unlikely to have spare time to even chat with him. However, he lifted his head when something was passed over to him. His eyes widened as he examined it, before looking at her. "Are you sure?" He asked uncertainly.
[/fieldbox]

Vere smiled at the dog's reaction, despite that she kept her attention on Liam as he reacted to the card. "I'm sure, it won't be a bother, though I might not always be available the company will give you a room to stay in until I return from whatever job I'm on, or will contact you once I get back. I don't go on many jobs nowadays though, not for long anyway." This was actually true, this job had taken her the longest in awhile, mostly because she had been gathering data.

Vere finished her coffee and sat the mug down, having drank it quickly. "I suppose now I should be going, it's already dangerous that I've stayed this long."

Liam smiled brightly. Success! He hadn't actually expected her to give him his number, after all he had been one of her targets, yet maybe she was interested in him as well... Or just wanted new clients. His mood dropped ever so slightly, but he didn't let it show. "Thank you," he said with a smile, before glancing down at the card again.

"I suppose so. Feel free to visit if you ever need company," Liam offered. As if she would visit you... He shoved the thoughts out of his head before the doubts could take hold. "Thank you for saving my life."
[/fieldbox]

Something about the way Liam brighrened up made Vere smile, it was small and timid but it was still a genuine smile. "I'll keep that offer in mind, and no need to thank me. Goodbye Liam, I hope to see you again soon." She stopped to pet Roxy before walking towards the front door and leaving, not letting herself look back as she mafe her way down the road towards her hotel. She would gather her things and call for somebody to collect her, then get to the medical ward so she can have her side examined by a professional as it still stung like hell. After that, well, she'd probably just take a nap. God she had earned one of those.

"I hope so too, Vere, I hope so too," Liam murmured to himself, but he still kept smiling at Vere. There was just something about her that he wanted to see again. Not just for his own benefit, but for hers as well. Roxy barked at her as she left, seemingly sad that her new friend was going. As the door closed, she ran over to Liam who gave her some treats. The shifter kept glancing to the door, half hoping she would walk back in, before deciding he needed to get about his day. There were people he needed to see, after all. But in time, they would meet again.
[/fieldbox]

It had been a month since Vere had been in this city, and now here she was, walking down the very alleyway she had met Liam before. This time, however, she wasn't here to target him, the assassin had just finished another job and was taking a walk to clear her head, she was also somewhat hoping to run into the wolf shifter again but wasn't getting her hopes too high, instead reminding herself not to get attached. That didn't stop the small shimmer of hope though.

The white haired female walked out of the alleyway and began trudging slowly down the street, to any average person she'd look unfocused and zoned out but, to the truly observant it was obvious she was still completely focused and even on edge. She was trying to relax, yes, but as an assassin, it was nearly impossible after living in the lifestyle she had for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.