Bound by Honor

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunate was a bit of an understatement in Isis' opinion, but she said nothing about Evel's choice of words and instead studied the other female, trying to see what it was about the small elf that appealed so much to the Prince. She wasn't gorgeous. Good-looking, pretty, yes, but to pass as a boy...no, she wasn't gorgeous and beautiful, in Isis' point of view, would have been stretching it. She seemed rather timid until seriously pushed like she'd been with the Captain and Lieutenant, but even then it had seemed more desperate than truly confident in herself. She listened well, but did not offer opinion. She was brave by all the accounts the twins had heard and yet she seemed not to even realize that fact about herself.

She was a complete contradiction, too quiet and too nonchalant about all of this for Isis' tastes. But then again, everyone would give full testament to the fact that Isis was a bitch. A loyal one and highly skilled, but icy in her demeanor all the same. Irin was the warmer counterpart, but even her twin's silence sometimes drove the female ice elemental to the brink of frustrated rage against him. It was just who she was. Prone to emotional outbursts, she couldn't understand why Evel was not more affected by this. Did she not see how Anrar was reacting? How that was not a good thing?

Was she the only one who saw this!?

"Isis." The whispered warning from Irin let the female know she'd screwed up somehow and she looked down at her hand to see it was encased in ice. Oh. Right. Taking a deep breath, she focused on reigning in her emotional temper while Irin took it upon himself to answer the question Evel had posed.

"We will take Anrar and yourself, once you are healed enough, to the rebels."

Anrar frowned deeply, eyes narrowed in a type of warning. "This was not discussed with me. I'm not sure I want to have anything to do with any of this. These....they might be my people in blood, but I don't know them."

"They are your people, Anrar! We have been searching for you! We were to come back with you!" Isis insisted and Anrar felt heat flare in his body, his dark green eyes growing darker with anger and confusion, with stress and an overwhelmed feeling he was trying not to show. "Such was not discussed with me." he ground out. "I am not some pawn to be passed around for whoever needs me!"

Evel immediately knew that things were starting to overwhelm Anrar when she felt him start to warm up. Distraction, she thought, he needs something to distract him from the overwhelming things until he can deal with it. She needed something to... a thought struck her. "It's nearly lunch! Have you eaten anything, Anrar? I bet you haven't. Baba said that he wanted to talk to you anyway. Go and eat lunch with him, I'll be fine here. We can't have you starving after all." She ushered him as best as she could out of the bed, hoping the small reprieve would help the elemental by giving him a little more time to deal with things. She looked over at Irin and Isis. "Irin, you should go with him since you two refuse to leave his side, but Isis, I want to talk to you, if that is alright."

Hearing the commotion, the messenger was scared away. He would tell them at a later time, when there weren't so many dangerous people in the room. Evel was inside giving Anrar a hard, stubborn stare until he left, knowing that if needed she could pull out any sort of tactic to get him to leave. She made sure Isis stayed, watching her carefully. She felt like an omega trying to talk peacefully to an alpha. The ice user could easily freeze her to death, and no one would have noticed. Surprisingly, Evel was somewhat okay with that. Even after facing death once, she found that facing death again was a lot easier in a way.

As soon as she was sure no one was listening, she got straight to the point. "You don't like me." It wasn't a question, more so a statement. "You think I'm too weak for him. Too bland, too timid, to casual. You don't understand why he wants me, and you want him to like you." She had seen many a jealous girl and many a jealous man. While she was usually denser than a brick to her own feelings, the feelings of others came as sharp as a needle. "You don't understand why he refuses to help his own race, be the prince he used to be. Most of all, you don't understand why he's different." She finished talking, waiting a beat before asking, "Am I correct?"

Evel's sudden interruption, odd as it was, startled all three elementals, but while Isis and Irin looked at her in puzzlement, Anrar smiled just a little. He felt the heat in his hands start to dissipate just a little even as she started to shoo him off the bed. He looked at her wordlessly, appreciation in his eyes. Perhaps she could have been more subtle about her distraction, but the fact of the matter was that she'd known him well enough to know he needed it. So it was with a mock, long-suffering sigh to her determined glower that he left with Irin, shooting Evel a fond look before he did.

He didn't care what anyone might say. That stubborn, huge-hearted, compassionate, brave, gentle, fierce elf was the one for him and he would never think differently, nor love her less for any of her faults.

--

Isis looked after where the males had gone, her sharp eyes flickering back to Evel when they both heard their footsteps retreating down the hall. Slate gold eyes met green and the ice elemental remained quiet as she listened, eyes blank of emotion. She might as well have been a statue for those few moments that Evel poured out her mind and then finally, a flicker of emotion came; amusement. It was not entirely friendly, but neither was it entirely malicious, somewhere in between the two, exactly like Isis herself. One foot serving the light and the other tampering with the dark.

"No to the first, yes to the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth and the sixth. A half yes to the seventh and no to the eighth. No to the ninth and a definite no to the tenth. But all in all, a good effort, Elf." Crossing her arms, every movement graceful despite the way her body seemed to be made of perfect, sculpted ice, Isis smirked. "I don't dislike you, not completely anyway. I don't know you enough to like or dislike you. As for what I think of you, yes, that is mostly true at the moment, but as for what you think I want from Anrar, you couldn't be further from the truth." She gives a slight laugh, giving the smaller elf a look. "I don't love him in such a way. He is a brother to me and that is all the relationship I desire with him. If I am jealous of you, Elf, it is because you have his ear and his approval. That is all I wish from him."

Isis uncrosses her arms and moves away from her position at the door and to the window, closer to Evel, but having no intention of harming her. She has no wish to die at Anrar's hands. "As for refusal, I have heard no such things from him. All I have heard is a temper-tantrum and he used to throw those even as a child. I am hardly surprised by such a thing. And I know very well why he's changed. He's lived here. How could he not?" Those gold eyes come back to Evel then and Isis gains an intense look like a raptor and she smiles, cold and deadly.

"Oh, I understand why he's different, Eveline. He is far more different than anyone can imagine. I think I understand far better than you do just how he is different."

--

The mess hall was busy and Anrar did his best to ignore the stares he got, Irin staying close to his side and wary of these strangers around his Prince. It was not long ago that Anrar had been sent from the elves to die in an unholy bargain and he would not let such happen again. If anyone had a quarrel with the fire elemental, they'd have to deal with him as well.

Such was not on Anrar's mind, though, as he apprehended some food and looked about for Evel's adopted father who seemed not to have arrived yet. Taking a seat at one of the tables, the blond looked to the black-haired male across from him, dark green eyes meeting gold. Finally the Prince sighed and sat back. "I did not handle that well." It wasn't really a question, but Irin smiled a bit anyway. "I have seen you behave worse."

A nod. "It is just...hard...to hear everything about my life, my past, myself and not know any of it. To..."

The ice elemental tilted his head a bit. "To have so much expected of you when you feel so very lost." When those dark eyes snapped up to meet his gold, Irin only smiled a bit, understanding and compassionate.

"Then I'll just have to learn to understand." Evel said, unfazed by the stare and smile. She'd seen worse in some of her war days. "Would you mind leaving me alone for a bit, the nurses are going to come and start doing their cleaning routines and I doubt you'd want to see that. Why don't you go check on Anrar maybe?" Once the elemental left, Evel sat up. Sure, it was slower than what she'd like to and her back was still slightly protesting, but at least she was up. The next stage was to get standing. That took a little bit longer, but soon enough she was standing and walking around the room. She felt like an old woman, hobbling around, but at least she wasn't lying on that damn bed anymore.

She found a way to slip out of her hospital room and make it out to the small yard behind the hospital. Freedom and fresh air! She couldn't believe it! The small elf was happy to find a bench to sit down on when she bumped into a familiar face. She was about to start apologizing when the person spoke. "So, you really are a girl..." Evel looked up slowly to find Laro staring back down at her.

--

Kazo was running a bit late, but was happy to see Anrar in the mess hall. "Ah, Anrar, son, how have you been?" He asked, sitting down at the same table as the two elementals. He started to eat as he listened to Anrar's answer before continuing. "So, Anrar, I've been thinking and I need some advice from someone close to Evel. Do you think you could help me?" He seemed very awkward as he said this, shifting and trying to avoid eye contact. This was either a serious or embarrassing topic.

Learn to understand. Ha! Would that be before or after she was dead, Isis wondered. But she said nothing, merely raising a brow at the near-command for her to leave. Check on Anrar? Yes, she could do that. She did not need to, though. Irin would take good care of the Prince and if her twin needed help, he would call to her. But the ice elemental left the room anyway, not leaving entirely, merely staying out of sight until Evel left the room herself.

Just as Isis had known she would. The elf was too stubborn to acknowledge that such an endeavor as leaving the room - on her own - when she was so injured was not a good idea. Especially when some elves were not at all pleased to hear of her gender and the way she'd fooled the Knights. But that was just the rumors Isis had HEARD. There might be more malicious reasons for disliking Evel. She did not know.

What she did know was that if she left the elf now and Anrar found out about it....

Isis made the wiser decision to follow silently, a shadow as she trailed Evel. She was close at hand, much closer than either Knight knew, when Laro showed up and instantly the ice elemental bristled, not liking him. But she remained silent for the moment. ANY sign that harm was going to come to Evel, though, and this male Knight would find himself on his rear end before he could even think to touch the smaller female.

Isis might not be fond to her, but Anrar was.

--

Anrar looked up at the sound of his name, Irin tensing just slightly before the ice elemental recognized the older elf and he went at ease again, nodding a slight greeting, but leaving the speaking to the blond. The fire elemental dipped his head slightly in his own greeting to Kazo. "I am well, but that is not why you are here." he stated simply and then raised a brow at the request made of him, head tilting in a bit of confusion and some suspicion he could not help. Not after everything that had happened.

"What would you ask me? I can not answer whether I can help you unless I know what kind of help you need." Most likely he would help as he'd never known Kazo to be unreasonable, a liar or cruel, but he could not be too careful right now, even with Evel's adopted father.

Irin smiled just slightly to himself. Spoken like a true Prince, a diplomat, even if Anrar did not want to admit that such blood and knowledge ran in his veins.

Evel was shocked and took a step back. "L-Laro, what are you doing here?" The man frowned before looking away. The small elf knew that he wouldn't answer so she simply sat down on a bench. "I thought you hated me." She said, tilting her head.

"N-no! I never hated you!" Laro protested, quickly sitting down next to her. "I... I wanted to toughen you up. You seemed so weak... so helpless. At least now I know why." He blushed at the evidence of her girly assets underneath her shirt. This caused Evel to bristle.

"So teasing and bullying not only me, but Anrar, was your way to toughen me up? What the hell is wrong with you?" Evel asked, anger clear in her voice. She clenched her fists. "And you thought I was weak. So suddenly not wanting to fight my comrades makes me weak? And because I am a female, I am automatically helpless?"

"Well, Evel, I..." He couldn't speak, surprised by the elf. She had never spoken out like that before. Heck, she never did anything like that before. So why would she suddenly start now?

"You what, Laro? You thought that I would suddenly just forgive you? That I would be okay with what you and your little, lackeys, did? I'm not! Okay, I never was! I just didn't want to hurt my comrades, the people who I would fight with in battle, but you seemed perfectly God damn fine with that!" She stood up, nearly fuming. "I hope you're happy." With that, the elf walked off, hobbling back to her room as she held onto any support she could. Her body was starting to punish her for staying out of bed for so long.

--

Kazo cleared his throat as he explained. "I... I need help finding the man who has claimed my Evel as his betrothed. I have a strong feeling that I know who it is, but I need to find him first." He stared straight at Anrar as he said this, his tone and actions implying that he knew it was him. However, he wanted to give Anrar the chance to either deny it or to accept it. After that he could get to what he really wanted to talk to Anrar about.

Well, perhaps they elf had a bit more courage than she'd at first thought. Strange courage, but still bravery of a sorts. The ice elemental could not understand why she wouldn't have stood up for herself, even against her comrades - and what kind of comrades were they if they could be so cruel as to torment Evel and they send her to die? - but Isis could admit that Evel wasn't a coward. Good. Anrar was going to have enough trouble. At least he'd have support by his side instead of hindrance.

The ice elemental followed the elf back to her room and gave a sigh at Evel's condition, forgoing cover in favor of approaching the other female. She steadied Evel the next time she stumbled and though Isis' touch was cold, it wasn't freezing. That was just her natural temperature, though, just as Anrar was always greatly warm. "You really should not have gotten out of bed, Elf. The Prince will burn me alive if I let harm come you while you're supposed to be in my care." she chided, as gentle as Isis ever got.

With anyone and that included her twin.

--

Anrar had no idea why they were playing this charade. It was one thing about politics that he understood but actually hated with a passion. Why speak in riddles and ask questions one already knew the answer to? What was the point? Still, he reigned in his impatience, letting nothing of it show on his face or in his eyes as he answered calmly. "I am Evel's betrothed, Kazo, as I am sure everyone knows by now and even more are hearing about even as we speak."

The fire elemental raised a brow, cautioning himself to patience even as Irin looked between the two with some open curiosity, watching his Prince closely, monitoring how Anrar handled odd situations. It would show would kind of ruler he'd be.

"Does that not meet with your approval, Kazo?"

Evel didn't respond, too tired to be able to as she finally managed to get to her room and fall down on her bed. She ended up falling asleep. The silly little elf had worn herself out just walking to the outside. She simply wanted to do something other than lie around uselessly, Anrar's overprotectiveness be damned! The small knight didn't do well with being injured like this. She wanted to move, to be useful to Anrar, to do something other than lie around and fall asleep!

Yet there she laid, completely dead to the world as she slept. The nurse came in a few minutes later to give Evel her herbs, only to find her asleep. She simply set the bowl on the bedside table for when she woke up. They wouldn't want her to have to wake up when she seemed so peaceful.

--

Kazo chuckled and shook his head. "No, just making sure you're proud enough to admit it. You would be surprised at how many men chicken out around me." The man happened to be handling a very, very sharp knife as he said this. One could see where Evel got her strangeness from.

Kazo shifted, putting the knife down and pulling a note out of his pocket. "What I really wanted to talk to you about was this. It's a letter from someone who obviously has been communicating with Evel more than I thought. Some of the contents are a bit worrisome considering who this man claims to be." He slowly pushed the letter toward Anrar, waiting for him to read it.

'Dear Eveline,' The letter started out on a perfectly normal tone.

'I am glad you enjoyed my last letter. I was surprised you managed to keep my secret from others for so long. I knew I was right to trust you. However, I need you to do something for me. I want you and your friend-Anrar was his name?-to meet with me. I have something that might be important to the both of you. Though, it will take some convincing. I know you will have many questions about this when you receive this letter. I am still trying to earn your trust. You do not have to fear me though, Eveline. I am only here to serve and love you. Hopefully I can finally fulfill my duties when we meet again.

I wait impatiently for your lovely reply,
Marlus.'

"Well, when have you ever known me to be afraid of you, Kazo?" Anrar pointed out, but it was quiet, not needing a response as he watched the elf put his knife down and pull out a letter instead. The fire elementals brows furrowed deeply, confused as to the meaning of such a thing. Why would he- Oh. Someone Evel knew, but someone Kazo was nervous about because of who the man 'claimed' to be? What in the world was going on and why was Kazo coming to HIM about it?

Still, Anrar read the letter, the frown deepening at the words 'secret, 'want you and Anrar to meet with me', 'love you' and 'fulfill my duties'. Actually, he outright glared at the last two, feeling a sweep of jealous possessiveness surge through his blood. His fingers threatened to nearly burn the letter as fire flickered over his skin and Irin, thinking quickly, reached out and snatched the letter from his grasp. The ice elemental then calmly handed it back to the elf.

Anrar was now glaring at the table, though, and it was only after a deep breath that he even attempted to speak reasonably, looking up at Kazo, his green eyes darker than usual. "Who is Marlus and why have you shown me this? I am in the letter, I understand that, but what is it you expect me to do about this?"

"I do not know who this 'Marlus' is, but I showed you this because I want you to be careful. I know you already have many threats, left and right, but this is just in case he tries something in the future." Kazo explained. How he didn't notice that Evel was responding to this strange man was just insane. How could he not notice that his little girl was talking to someone who sounded like he wanted to take her to his bed and steal her innocence!

He knew that this would add onto the worries that Anrar would have to deal with, but this was dealing with Evel, his daughter and Anrar's betrothed. If someone was planning on hurting her then he would rather have Anrar be there to make sure that Evel didn't make a dumb decision. The elf sighed as he slipped the paper back into his pocket, taking a swig of brandy. He was starting to get too old for this.

It was then that a young messenger ran up to Kazo and whispered to him. The elf sighed, standing up after downing his drink. "My blessings to you, Anrar. Be safe and don't dismiss any possible threat." With that, the older man left, following the messenger to where the other retired soldiers were. They had council work to do, after all.

Anrar looked after Kazo with a thoughtful expression, still angered by the contents of the letter, but more contemplative about them now as he tipped his cup on the table this way and that with a finger, never spilling anything inside. Irin watched him with patience for a time before he spoke, calm as ever. "You do not have to marry her, to take these burdens as your own."

Dark green eyes, sharper than blades, snapped up to meet gold and Anrar's voice was low with warning. "What did you say?"

Irin looked at the Prince for a moment before he calmly went on once more, not afraid, but not abrasive like his sister either. "I did not mean any offense to Eveline, Prince. All I wanted to inform you of is the option of taking another wife and keeping Eveline as a mistress. You might be required to do it anyway. The Elementals will be hard pressed to accept an elf as their Queen."

By this point, Anrar was simply staring at the other male and for a moment he wanted to blast him with a fireball, to snap his neck for such words, but the anger drained away just as suddenly into pure shocked denial as he shook his head and stood, starting to walk away and back toward Evel's room. What was wrong with these people? With all of them! He didn't want anyone else but her! Why couldn't they see that?!

"Anrar!" Irin was running to catch up and the blond rounded on the black-haired male. "No! I do not want to hear another word about how inadequate MY betrothed is! I don't want-"

"Prince!" Irin held up his hands, a peace gesture. "Prince, I only came to say I am sorry. My words were insensitive and I trust you have chosen wisely in a future wife. Eveline is brave and she is loyal, and she loves you. Such is clear. I do look forward to getting to know her better."

The two weeks Evel needed to recover were too long for her. She wanted to be up and moving, but had to be confined to her bed. Such was the life of an injured knight. But, on the morning she was suppose to be released, Evel snuck out to go practice her archery skills. She had found an old target and her bow and arrows to practice with. She was happy to have her bow back in her possession, but found she was very rusty.

So the elf snuck out to practice. It was exhilarating to finally be able to pull the bowstring back, notch her arrow, then let it fire. She managed to get back to mostly bullseyes, but a few still strayed. She sighed as she finished her practice, walking over to pull the arrows out of the target, grunting slightly at the exertion. She was not very happy with her current results.

The messenger sighed as he walked toward the hospital. He chickened out last time and got punished because of it. Now he had to go try and tell the happy couple that they needed to leave forever. This made the messenger feel somewhat like a jerk, but what was he to do? He was simply the messenger. He just hoped that Anrar wouldn't kill him for giving him the message...

Irin sighed, shaking his head as he watched Evel from a point she'd not yet seen.

Stubborn elf. He could see why Anrar loved her so much. In the last two weeks he'd started to see the reasons more and more, and now he smiled a bit as he guarded her. It would seem she was just as reckless as the fire elemental had been when he was younger, might even still be that way now. Irin wouldn't know yet. What did know, however, was that such a will matched the Prince's rather well and such might often not be guessed of Evel just to look at her.

The ice elemental pondered that even as he pushed away from his position and approached the female. "You should take more time with your injuries, Knight Lonwood. If you push them beyond their limit too soon, you will risk permanent damage. The muscles in your back and shoulders are not entire ready for so much strain as that of a bow." he warned gently, pulling the remaining arrows out, noting that while they were pushed in deep, they were not deep enough. Her strength wasn't quite back yet.

--

Anrar had woken in the room Evel had been staying in, immediately noting that she was gone, that Isis was coming into the room and that Irin was not with his twin. He quickly put the pieces together and relaxed, understanding that Evel was being looked after. He gave a groan, running his hand over his face, still tired and the ice elemental smirked, taking up her position by the wall, raising a brow.

"Long night of passion?"

She said it with a straight face and Anrar promptly choked on air alone, staring at her with wide eyes. And Isis finally laughed even as the fire elemental's flabbergasted expression turned into a mild glare. He reached for Evel's pillow and threw it at Isis, grumbling about insufferable elementals with crude minds.

Evel started a bit when she heard the voice, but soon relaxed. "If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, Irin. Just call me Evel." She smiled as she picked up the one fallen arrow that bounced off of the target. She sighed. "I only practice once a day so it's not like I'm doing too much to my back and shoulders. Besides, I need to get back into practice if I want to be of any use." She put the arrows back in her quiver with a satisfying thud.

The elf started to walk back to the hospital room, wanting to gather her things before she left. Finally, she would be free of the damn herbs and her stupid bed and wanting to sleep all of the time. She sighed as she stretched. "I can't wait to be let out of this prison they call a hospital." She smiled as the breeze ruffled her hair. She was especially glad they allowed her to bathe on her own. Though, her hair had grown longer, almost shoulder length and it was starting to bug her. She had to keep it out of her face for archery so she would have to cut it soon.

Evel looked over at the ice elemental. She liked him a lot better than his sister, though the woman could be a very harsh kind person when she wanted to be. It was a surprise that she actually opened up to the two. She hadn't talked this much since... well ever! She felt like she had changed a lot over the month, and that thought scared her slightly. What if she changed too much and Anrar decided he didn't like the new her? What if the elementals flat out rejected her and killed her, showing Anrar how weak she was? Her mind was then gone, swept away with the growing 'worries' that she often would overthink about.

The messenger was shaking as he reached the door. What was he going to do? Those two knights were vicious in battle... just imagine them out of it! The young man took a deep breath, swallowing before knocking on the door. "Message to Evel Lonwood and Anrar Stormsky from his majesty!" His voice squeaked, betraying his still pubescent age as he waited for an answer.

The ice elemental chuckled slightly at her words, nodding slightly to them, but not necessarily agreeing. He understood what she was saying, but if he'd been Evel's healer, he would not have let her start archery again until at least another two weeks had passed. She was barely healed, her wounds still pink, tender and the internal damage could not have been fully healed yet. She risked more than she seemed to know with even the once a day strain she was placing to her body. Elves healed faster than mortals, yes - a human would have been laid up for three months at least and not able to start archery again until six - but she wasn't fine even by elven standards.

But Irin said nothing as of yet. He was sure Anrar would keep close eye on Evel once they were away from this place.

"Yes, most beings do not enjoy healers or their places of abode." the male agreed and then he watched the female, noting her far-off expression and wondering at it, suspecting he knew the reason for it, too. "Eveline, something about Anrar troubles you?" He would not outright say he knew what it was. Such would be foolish.

--

Anrar caught the pillow as it was thrown back at him, but when he would have retaliated once more, the knock sounded and he paused in his aim, setting the thing down and instead standing. He had slept in his clothes and they were wrinkled and he had to shift them into order again. His hair looked like he'd fallen out of bed and Anrar ran his fingers back through it, giving Isis a look that she offered a slight shrug to as he went toward the door.

The fire elemental opened it calmly and raised a brow at the messenger, a boy really, and he folded his arms casually. Though, it admittedly would probably look intimidating even if that wasn't Anrar's goal. Then again, if the boy was already scared of him, it wouldn't matter what the fire elemental did.

"Knight Lonwood is not present, but I will see she gets the message you have to deliver. What is the word of the King?"

As if he didn't already know.

Evel looked over at the ice elemental, surprised. "No, nothing's bothering me. I'm just thinking..." She ran a hand through her hair, trying to stop thinking about it. A little voice in the back of her head that sounded suspiciously like Isis started to tell her she was too weak for Anrar. Why would he want someone like her? She wasn't anything special.

Yet, she still wanted to stay with Anrar. How could she not? He was the only one for her. She wouldn't want any other, even if she had the choice. Her life would seem that much darker without her elemental. Though she didn't deserve him, he chose her.

"He'll bore of me eventually..." She thought aloud, not noticing she was talking. The silly elf was too deep in her thoughts.

--

The young messenger shaking in his boots. He cleared his throat and started, "The king requests that the knights Lonwood and Stormsky leave the Elven kingdom by order of banishment. Refusal to comply will result in death."

Irin didn't believe the words of denial for one moment and he merely smiled a bit, watching the still distracted elf. Oh, yes, he was well aware that she was thinking. That would be apparent to anyone as she gazed into space with that pensive frown upon her brow and the slight puckering of her lips. It made the ice elemental feel like chuckling for he'd seen that look on his sister often enough - well, more glare-like, but still - and it had usually been her debating how best to kill something. While Irin highly doubted Evel was thinking on such a topic, he couldn't help but draw similarities anyway.

Though, his sister rarely spoke aloud. It would be much more helpful if she did and Irin's brows rose to hear Eveline's words now. He waited to see if she'd say more, if perhaps she was asking a question, but it soon became apparent she'd not meant to speak at all and the male hummed a moment to himself before he decided to answer. "It would seem, young Eveline, that while you do know an elemental as a friend, you clearly have no idea what they are like as a lover."

Irin waited until she registered his words, until their eyes met, before he went on, calm and cool, but not unfriendly as Isis could be with her advice. "Anrar is a fire elemental and while they are rarer than rare, there is documentation on them. They are fiercely loyal, completely protective and nearly feral about their possessiveness over their chosen mates. They do not make such decisions lightly and they never take a second lover, even if the first dies. If Anrar has chosen you, claimed you, then you can trust he means it. Fire elementals, unlike some other types, do not play around in matters of the heart. He will no sooner grow bored of you than the sun will stop rising in the east."

--

Anrar's brows lowered and his expression darkened, but he only gave the messenger a curt nod before sending the boy away. He knew enough not to snap the messenger's head off for a message he had no control over. Shutting the door, he turned his attention back to Isis as she spoke, her tone icy and displeased to the extreme. "It would seem this fool of an Elven King does not believe you are who you say, Prince." If her voice alone could have struck someone dead, the elven monarch would have been convulsing in death throes by now.

The fire elemental shook his head, already starting to gather Evel's things, knowing he'd have to stop by her room and his for the rest of their things, of which they had few. "I have no proof that I am who I say. I believe my claim and engagement to Evel caused enough speculation to give him the excuse to keep her alive, but he can not ignore the laws of his own Kingdom."

"He is a King! He can just change the laws! She saved his daughter's life! Do things like that count of nothing in this god-forsaken place of lawlessness!?"

Dark green eyes rose to look into gold, rather amused. "You seem more upset by this than I am." Anrar pointed out calmly and Isis growled under her breath.

Last edited:
Evel blushed in embarrassment. She really needed to stop talking aloud like that. It would get her in trouble eventually. "Thank you for your reassurance." She said quietly, still slightly embarrassed. Such low self-esteem was a real problem. She would have to work on that so she wouldn't doubt Anrar so much. He could have left her at any time now, and he didn't. That was proof enough that he was serious about her.

As they walked back into the building, the nurses glared at the weapon. "Were you out practicing again, Miss Lonwood?" Her head nurse asked as she checked the girl over, examining her wounds.

"Of course not." Evel said, hissing slightly as the woman probed a rather sore bruise. "I simply miss the way my bow feels in my hands." She let out a sigh of relief when the healer stepped away.

"I don't believe you, but since your wounds haven't been agitated surprisingly, you can still be released after you pack your things up. Now go." The nurse sighed as the elf smiled and quickly bounded off to her room. She just wanted to see Anrar again. the nurse was smart in not mentioning that she had instructed Anrar about what Evel was and was not suppose to do. One of such things was no archery for two weeks unless she had no one to protect her.

Evel walked into the room and immediately felt the icy atmosphere. "Did something happen?" She asked as she walked over to Anrar, the expressions of the two worrying her a little bit.

Irin had to restrain a snort at Evel's lie, but he said nothing about it and merely smiled and dipped his head at the nurse as he followed the energetic elf into the halls, taking a slower pace, but always keeping her in sight until they got back to the room. He could sense his sister anger even before he entered and by the time he did, Anrar was already explaining what the messenger had said to Evel. The fire Elemental had wrapped her up in his arms and both twins could feel that he was feeding her heat, the red haze centering on her back and relaxing the muscles there. It was probably due to Anrar that Evel's body had rebelled on her already considering the strain she put on it when she technically should not.

"The King has banished us. We are to leave under pain of death."

"Utterly ridiculous if you ask me!" Isis spat again and Irin shook his head, giving his twin a look. "No one asked you, Isis." he pointed out and then dodged the ice her fingertips shot at him. It hit the wall and spread in a splatter of frost and ice shards where his head had been as she glared. The male only raised a brow calmly, rather used to her reactions and he looked to Anrar and Evel. "Eveline is being discharged today. Shall you leave immediately or wait a night?"

Anrar looked thoughtful before his dark green eyes looked down to Evel, questioning. "Do you have any reason to want to stay, love?" he asked her softly, already knowing that the answer for himself was no.

Evel sighed and nodded. "Understandable. Elven kings tend to be very skeptical without documentation for proof." She shrugged and held back a bit of a laugh at Isis's reaction. She was taking this a lot worse than the rest of them were. This made her slightly curious. When Anrar asked her that question, she gave a thoughtful look. "Hmm... No. Baba is going to send us off and I know he can take care of himself so I see no reason to stay here any longer." She just wanted to get out of there soon enough.

Evel was lucky to have Anrar giving her heat. It made her back feel immensely better and made her feel in a weird sense, closer to him. His fire was his life source and the fact that he was willing to share something from the thing that kept him breathing with her just amazed her in such a strange way. This made her feel special inside, making her feel for once that she was worth something, if only to bring that small smile to Anrar's face.

The nurses were going through the records to make sure everything was ready when the small knight checked out of the hospital. They were sure to give Anrar another month's supply of the herbs that Evel needed and specific instructions so the silly elf wouldn't do something too stupid. Nurses were running around dealing with other patients as the nurse in charge of Evel got her discharge papers ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.