Bound by Honor

Status
Not open for further replies.
---

Night had settled on them quickly and the twins had informed Evel and Anrar that they'd come upon the Rebels in two more days and the Elemental Kingdom lied three days past that point. The fire elemental had taken the news calmly, much more so now that he'd actually made a decision, felt more decided in his course of action. Even if said course of action still made him uneasy and frankly, scared. Still, it was not what he was feeling right now, but Evel that he was focused on and Anrar had gently pulled her away from the camp so he could speak to her out of earshot of Irin and Isis, though, he knew they wouldn't have tried to eavesdrop on purpose.

Dark green eyes looked down into a lighter green now and Anrar brushed Evel's hair back behind her ear, the backs of his fingers gliding over her cheek when he was done with the first action. "You've been awfully quiet, even for you." he started, studying her face for a long moment before his head dipped and he pressed a light, but lingering kiss to her mouth before pulling back again slowly, smiling that smile he only gave her.

"Will you tell me what is on your mind?"

He had a few good guesses, but he wanted to hear Evel's concerns from her own mouth.

Evel was slightly confused when Anrar took her away from the camp. She blushed when he kissed her, still not used to that kind of affection. It made her feel so warm inside. She gave a small smile when he asked her to tell her what she was thinking of. "It only seems fair." She said quietly. The small elf thought for a bit, trying to think of what to say.

"I don't know how to say it..." She sighed before continuing. "I guess I'm scared. I'm scared that when we get to the elementals that they'll reject me because I'm an elf and I'm not as strong as most of the other species. They're going to expect me to be some pompous sage that I'm not, and immediately hate me because of that." The elf leaned against Anrar, closing her eyes in worry and slight fear. The poor elf was shaking.

"I'm also scared that you're going to find some elemental girl who can give you everything I can't, and you'll leave me. I know it's a stupid worry..." But Isis doesn't want me for you, and I can understand why.... was what she wanted to say. She couldn't though. Isis was his friend. She wasn't going to try and make the man made at one of his friends.

Evel held back tears, wondering why they were coming at a time like this. "And I'm scared that you'll get your memories back and that will hurt you. I'm so worried that someone is going to do something so stupid that after you get them back you lose both those memories and your memories of me..." She bit her lip trying hard to keep all of the stupid sorrow out of her voice.

Anrar wrapped his arms around the elf, instantly hating her shaking and he let the heat that she was so familiar with seep into her, soothing and loving as his head rested on her own and he simply listened to her words, not interrupting or correcting, waiting until she was finished just as she'd done for him. Her last topic had him frowning, though, the thought of such a thing never having crossed his mind and surprise overtaking him that she should think of it either. He could not even imagine forgetting her. Anrar looked down at the top of her head and he placed as gentle kiss there, pulling Evel a little more securely against him.

"Evel, I will not forget you." he promised quietly. "And I might get my memories back, and they might be painful, but they will not hurt forever. There is no guarantee they will come back at all, either." the fire elemental reminded patiently before he tilted his head back and then slipped his fingers under Evel's chin, making her look up at him with a firm but gentle instance. His dark green eyes held her gaze, expression earnest and true.

"I love you. You are the only one I have ever loved and you are the only one I will ever love. I am yours, no other's and no elemental, no matter how they might be able to relate to me, will change that. No one could be you, Evel. No one could ever take your place and the joy you bring me and if my people can't see that, then they are the ones who are blind and not worthy of my time. No, not all of them will welcome you, but such is the way of the world."

Anrar smiled a little. "And as long as we have each other and we are true to each other, we can stand against anything."

Last edited:
Evel smiled as she felt the heat sweep through her body. Anrar never failed to cheer her up and make her feel safe. He was a bit more open about being affectionate toward the other than she was, but she could live with that. As he promised not to forget her, she wanted to trust that he really meant it. She wanted to make sure that he never did... but there was always that possibility that loomed over her head. She ignored it for the most part, just enjoying Anrar and his company.

"Thank you, Anrar." She said, daring to give him a kiss. She made it long and sweet, though afterwards she was blushing a bright red and looking away from him. After she finally got over her bout of shyness, she looked up at the elemental again. "By the way, I've been meaning to ask... That heat you use to help me relax... do you know what exactly that is? It doesn't feel quite like the fire you use..."

The elf started to walk back as she waited for an answer. The thought had been plaguing her for quite a while now. What else could her betrothed do besides the already impossible things he had in his arsenal.

The kiss made his head spin and his heart leap in the most intoxicating, welcome way and the fire elemental was smiling when she pulled back, wider than he'd smiled in a long time, but Evel missed it as she was looking down. The shine of happiness was still in his eyes when she looked up though, her face still a pretty pink, but not so deeply shaded anymore. He found it incredibly enduring and might have said as much if he'd not know that she'd blush red as a tomato again and deny it if he did. So he kept it to himself and simply drank in the sight of her in the semi-darkness, the way the moon lit upon her blond hair and caught in her eyes.

Her question surprised him, though, and Anrar tilted his head, his own golden hair falling over his shoulder, impatiently pushed back behind his ear again as he frowned thoughtfully. He blinked, realizing Evel had slipped from his arms and was walking away and the fire elemental slowly followed, thinking still.

"I...am not sure. It is my fire, or at least it comes from the same place, but it...I don't know, it changes just before it leaves my skin. It's like...it shields itself in a haze. I...I can only do it with you, so I think it's tied to my emotions."

It was an educated guess at best for Anrar had not grown up learning about what he could do, what it was called, the different ways fire could be manipulated and changed to his will. The best he could do was tell Evel what he thought and what he felt.

Evel nodded. "That's a good guess at the very least. Maybe we'll figure it out later." She grabbed some food as she started to help cook when they reached the camp. The elf was cooking when she asked the twins. "What are the rebels like? Is there anything I need to know so I won't offend them too badly?" She asked, not wanting to make the elementals hate her more then they were already probably going to. Something probably make them angry at her, there was no getting around that.

The elf finished up the meal and served it to the group. It was simple meat cooked in a stew, but it was good nonetheless. The night wore on as even the night animals fled, wary of the creatures that lived around the area. They knew the dangers that the races brought, so they stayed out of the way.

Evel ate slowly as she listened to the twins. As she listened, she felt tiredness try and sweep up on her.

Isis and Irin glanced at each other, both wondering how to answer a question like that. They'd grown up with the Elementals their whole life and had been with the Rebels for a long time as well. Everything that happened there was...normal to them. Expected. Familiar. How were they to describe it to outsiders, though? Where would they start? They struggled with those question for a few minutes without answering and then Irin finally spoke, almost cautiously.

"Well, the Rebels are like any other Elemental."

"Then perhaps you should tell us what Elementals are like." Anrar chimed in, looking up from beneath his long hair as it shadowed his face, his fingers stirring the fire without aid of a stick, the flames licking at his arm as if greeting an old friend. Isis wrinkled her nose, frowning. "Elementals are different according to their typing. There are four main-types and many sub-types. Water, Wind, Fire and Earth are the four main." she pointed out and Irin nodded, expanding on that knowledge.

"Isis is right. And the sub-types are thus: for Water there are Ice, Snow and Blood. Wind doesn't really have a sub-type, but some Elementals argue whether Storm Elementals are Water-based or Wind-based. As for Earth, they have a few sub-types, namely Jewel, Plant and Steel. Fire Elementals have sub-types of Lightning, though, both Fire Elementals and Lightning Elementals are rare." The male twin sat back, relaxing a bit as he'd finished eating, giving Evel a smile for the food. "Now for Elemental personalities...they tend to match their powers. For example, Earth Elementals are very steady in temperament, patient, tend to be wise and they are slow to anger. They are also stubborn, slow to change and very judgmental. If you manage to anger them, they are really very terrifying, but it takes a lot to push them to that edge." Isis was nodding, agreeing with her brother before she spoke her own piece, jumping in. "And Water Elementals are practical, but are the second-most temperamental kind of elemental after Fire Elementals. They are easily offended, but just as easily forgive. They love to debate and are pretty loyal unless you piss them off...so I guess they can be a bit fickle...but their intentions are usually good...usually..."

Anrar was nodded slowly, eating even more slowly and he raised a brow. "And Wind Elementals?"

Both twins smiled and Isis answered once more. "Wind Elementals are the funnest to be around. They are playful and happy, very accepting and caring. They aren't stupid, though, and they do have their mean streaks when pressed too far, but they don't like confrontation all that much and so they are really good peace-makers." Irin nodded and continued in the place of his sister, looking to Evel.

"If any of the Elementals are going to accept you easily, it will be the Wind Elementals, but most of our kin should be respectful to you anyway by virtue of who you are to Anrar." he pointed out.

Evel nodded. "Alright. I think I have an idea now. Thank you, Irin, Isis." She nodded to each of the twins before finishing her food and starting to get ready for the night. It had been strangely peaceful as they traveled to the Rebels. The elf was glad for that, though it put her on edge. Something was bound to happened sooner or later. Her gut told her so.

A howl rang through the air. She froze. She knew that howl. It was too familiar for her to not recognize it. "Shit..." She muttered, quickly moving to her bag and trying to grab a bottle of potion. "We need to go." She grabbed the bottle and muttered the activating word, Sumat. The clear liquid glowed a white color before settling down. "We need to leave, now." Her voice was strangely steady, her mind back into war mode. She was leading her squad of archers again. Fighting to keep the werekin from aiding the centaurs. They needed to leave now. She started to gather up things, packing her things back up.

The werekin were known for holding grudges, especially if an important figure happened to be killed in battle. They never forgot the scent of the killer on the person, leading them to chase the killer whnever he or she was near. Evel started to sprinkle the potion on the ground before getting some on herself. It helped mask her scent as she put the bottle away.

The short knight was completely composed, the only indication that she was nervous or scared was her speed and her abruptness in the matter. What could have gotten her so worried? The howls grew closer.

Anrar knew something was wrong the moment Evel stilled. He'd seen her do that before, once or twice when she'd hear a wolf's howl or the sound of a yowling cat, she'd still and listen so attentively that sometimes the fire elemental had been unable to snap her out of her trance. And when she'd finally seemed to come back to herself, she'd appear jumpy and evasive to questions, but brisk in movements and wanting to get somewhere 'safe'. And now the blond elf was doing the same thing all over again.

Only this time, the howl hadn't been from any ordinary wolf, but a werekin. There had been more depth, more power and complexity to the sound than a normal wolf would have. The indication of the werekin drawing near them when they should have stayed away, had Anrar standing swiftly, nodding to the twins to start getting the horses ready - not because Evel was panicked, but because they were too close to werekin land as it was and there was every possibility that they were just being warned off. It would be wiser to move, no matter what the reason for the werekins' sudden arrival.

As the twins moved to do that, though, Anrar started to help Evel gather the rest of the the camp put away, but when they'd packed everything and she started for the horses, he reached out and gripped her arm, not to hurt, but to stop her, dark green eyes piercing her in the darkness. "Evel, what's wrong? It's not like you to be so panicked and if you tell me it's nothing, I swear to all that is holy, I will stay right here and ask the werekin myself what is going on."

He wasn't kidding and this time she wouldn't get the drop on him in order to knock him out.

Evel frowned. "Can't we talk about this later? Let's just go!" She pulled, only to be held back. She tried to get out of Anrar's grip but failed. "Alright fine! On a mission I killed the werekin's prince, happy? Now let's go!" She ran over to the horses after breaking away from Anrar's grip and jumping on. Once everything was packed away she started running away with her horse.

The howls got a bit closer before getting farther away. Evel didn't relax until she couldn't hear anymore howling of any kind. Slowly, she finally stopped her horse. They were a ways away from the boundary line of the werekin and closer to the rebels. It was still night so she got off and got ready to set up camp. The elf looked skittish, checking behind her every so often.

The knight jumped when her horse poked his nose into her side, nearly screaming in fear.

Killed the-

What?!

Anrar cursed as the next howl sounded into the night and he rushed for Firekicker, noting that Isis had already taken off after Evel and Irin was waiting for him, the ice elemental's horse dancing with nerves even as Anrar mounted his own stallion and the two males took off after the females as they fled from the werekin borders. And as they galloped into the night, Anrar mentally went through all he knew of the werekin. They were a species divided into Tribes; Feline, Canine and Avian, and each Tribe of species had sub-categories much like Elementals, but far more integrated and interbred between each other so that the only true titles they claimed were the three primary. Judging by the howls, they were being chased by the Canine Tribe and Anrar had heard news that their Prince - well, a prince since Canines had litters of pups, even among the Royal Family, so there was likely another heir available - had been killed.

But he hadn't known that Evel had been the one to do accomplish the deed and now that he did know, he was sure that there was more to that story then his betrothed was telling him. Evel was not a cold-blooded killer. She wouldn't have just killed a Prince to do so. Something had to have happened, circumstance that had led up to such an event. And even if she had done it purposefully, the fire elemental would bet anything it was under orders and not of her own volition.

And if by some twist of fate, Evel had decided, on her own, to kill a Werekin Prince in cold blood...Anrar would still love her.

Right now, though, he had to calm her and as they stopped and he dismounted quickly, shedding Firekicker's saddle and then moving to Epona's doing the same for him before he moved to Evel and placed Epona's reigns into her hand. "Walk him. Now." It wasn't a suggestion and he led Firekicker forward, starting to walk the overheated stallion and gesturing for the blond elf to follow. If they didn't cool their horses after running them that hard, that fast and that suddenly, they'd end up with lame animals and that would not do any of them any good and would be cruel to the horses.

As they walked in large circles - the twin doing the same a bit away from them to give privacy, Anrar glanced to Evel, knowing that this movement would calm her even as it would help her horse. "You going to tell me what happened?" the fire elemental requested quietly.

Evel was surprised to find Epona's reigns in her hand. As she walked with Epona, she felt her heart calm. She couldn't hear the howls anymore, but she still felt fear course through her veins. They were going to follow her and kill her. She was sure of it. Though walking her horse with Anrar was calming and almost therapeutic. She was so glad to have Anrar with her, calming her.

When Anrar requested her tell him, she sighed before she started talking. "Well, it was on a mission. We, the archers, were suppose to kill the allies that were coming to help the centaurs. We took them by surprise, raining death on them in a sense. It wasn't long before they caught on and fought back. One happened to get a bit too close to me. He landed a hit on me, giving me this." She showed him the edge of the long sliver of a scar across her torso. "And I shot him in the head. It was quick, too quick for me to react any differently. The werekin started to retreat. It was only when I saw the tattoo on the werekin I killed's chest that I realized who I had killed. Then I blacked out."

Evel stroked Epona's head as she walked the horse. The poor thing must have been so tired. She sighed as she felt her scar sting a bit, though it hadn't hurt for years. The memory probably was fooling her nerves or something. The night was silent. She couldn't believe that it could be so calm after she had freaked out that badly. She shouldn't have been that worried... it would have been alright. The thought of a werekin killing her flashed through her mind. She had sealed her own fate.

So it was just as he'd suspected. She'd been ordered to kill werekin and had killed a Prince on accident, in the heat of the moment. It had been life or death and she'd barely won that battle. There was no shame in dying in a fair fight or being killed by an enemy worthy of you...and Evel had been both to the werekin Prince. So why were they coming after her? Yes, werekin would kill those who killed royalty in their clan and they never forgot, but there were exceptions to that rule. And judging from what he'd heard, Evel should have qualified as an exemption to the werekin. It had been a battle and any of the Canines could have testified that their Prince died fighting. This hadn't been assassination or foul play.

So why were they seeking vengeance?

It was puzzling to him, but Anrar knew they couldn't get the answers tonight and instead he needed to comfort Evel and assure her that everything was going to be all right. It was because he was not going to let anything happen to her.

The horses had cooled sufficiently and now the fire elemental released Firekicker to graze or sleep as he would, prompting Evel to do the same with Epona and giving the horse a pat as he trotted off after the red stallion. The blond turned to the elf then and he simply pulled her into his arms, holding her securely as his hand rested on the back of her head, her head over his heart. "Little bird, you did nothing wrong and nothing is going to happen to you. No werekin is going to kill you, I promise."

Evel felt like crying. "They were coming to start a peace talk." She said quietly. "The Captain told us exactly what we were getting into when he gave us the mission. They didn't have weapons. Only their claws. It was an unfair fight. We had a huge advantage." Guilty tears burned her face. She buried her head into his chest. "Yet I still went... I could have backed out, could have said that it was wrong..." She was nearly sobbing now.

The elf couldn't believe Anrar was still comforting her after her confession. Did he really love her that much? As she listened to the heartbeat, she felt a small smile. Yes. He really did. He wouldn't let anyone this close to him unless he really did love them. Even though she kept sobbing, she felt a bit of comfort bloom in her chest. Even if she was a murderer, Anrar would still keep her as his.

Evel felt tired. Tired of all of this nonsense. She wanted to just stay with Anrar like this, get rid of all her guilt, and just stay in a little bubble forever. No more werekin, no more elves, no more elementals, no more anything! Only peace and long nights with Anrar were what she wanted. However, that would never happen. Something would always get in their way, and Anrar had a whole slew of things to deal with, and he wasn't sobbing about it.

There went that guilt again. She would have to write her feelings down later.

A peace talk....yes, but with the Centaurs, the enemies of the Elves. If a third race got themselves in the middle of a two race war, they should know the consequences of such a thing. And the werekins were a proud and smart people. And they were hardly helpless, even without weapons. Most werekins in a tribe didn't use weapons anyway. They must preferred their fangs and claws. They were animal-like in their ways, it was instinctual for them to fight as nature had equipped them. A werekin would not have considered it an unfair fight.

Something was wrong with this. Someone had misinformed Evel about werekins...and something was causing the werekins to believe they needed vengeance on Evel.

Something was very wrong with this, but Anrar didn't bring any of that up right now. He'd speak to the twin about it, see if they could dig up information once they were with the Rebels, but right now he simply held Evel and as she clung to him, crying, he scooped her up into his arms with little effort and no hesitation, moving over to the fire that Irin had built, something he nodded to the ice elemental for. The twin never liked building the fire, but they'd done it this time and he was grateful to them for it as Anrar sat down and cradled EVel in his lap, holding her close.

He shushed and soothed her softly, his fingers combing through her hair until her sobs died down and her eyes had closed, exhaustion overtaking her.

And Anrar didn't move, simply accepting the blanket the twins offered him, settling it around his shoulders as he stayed where he was. He simply let the elf sleep in his arms, knowing she'd probably get more rest that way and he wanted nothing less for her.

Evel awoke the next morning slowly. She felt herself blush at how Anrar was holding her and slowly tried to weasel her way out of his grasp. They had things to do, and she was thoroughly embarrassed. She was crying like a fool last night. Blubbering on about lies her captain told her. She wasn't sure if they were lies or not, but one never knew with an elf. They were fickle creatures.

The elf managed to slip out of Anrar's arms and start getting things packed up. Epona trotted over to Evel and nudged her side, wanting a treat. The small knight laughed as she ran her hand through Epona's mane. The stallion walked in front of Evel, stopping her from continuing her work. The horse didn't leave her alone until she gave him a small piece of a carrot.

The morning sun left the early horizon.

Anrar woke to Evel leaving and for a moment it was on the tip of his tongue to call her back, to ask why she felt the need to depart at all, but he stilled his voice before the words could leave. He didn't understand why she didn't want him to hold her or kiss her, show her affection if anyone could see - and often when no one could either unless it was platonic, like he'd done when they were mere friends - but the fire elemental was trying to be considerate of those boundaries. He didn't understand them and had to fight the feeling of rejection each time she pulled away with no explanation or seemed to be in a hurry to stop their conversations, but he'd respect what she wanted.

He wasn't angry. Merely confused.

He smiled to see her laughing even as he rose in his silent way and roused Isis as well, greeting Irin with a nod that the ice elemental returned. Irin tossed his sister the water as Anrar moved to his own stallion, taking a fresh look at Firekicker, examining his legs and body for any cuts or swelling from his mad dash that night before. He found a stone in the horse's hoof and crooned softly to the stallion in sympathy as he worked it out and then chucked it away, relieved to see that there was minimal swelling around the pad of the hoof and no cuts. Good, no risk of infection then.

Isis was over to his left, doing the same with her grey mare and she flashed him a raised brow, questioning his stare.

"We'll arrive today, won't we?"

The ice elemental nodded, flipping her dark hair back over her shoulder, muttering about braiding it. "Yes." Another side glance to her Prince. "You will be fine." she assured and Anrar nodded, combing his fingers through Firekicker's mane, wishing he believed that.

Evel looked over at Anrar and after making sure Epona was alright, she walked over to him, taking his hand. "It'll be alright." She said quietly. The elf looked up at him and gave him a small smile, squeezing his hand in reassurance. "I'll go make us some breakfast." She quickly gave Anrar a kiss on the cheek, blushing afterwards as she started to make breakfast. Showing affection was always hard for Evel. It made her feel womanly, which after living as a man for stars knew how long frightened her. She had always been referred to as a he, never she. It almost made her believe she was a man, even if she really wasn't. Men didn't show affection to another man, but women did.

It was all so confusing. Most of her mannerisms could be considered manly. How she sat, how she ate, even how she walked told of masculinity. She was never sure how to act like a girl. She didn't know how to braid hair and the most feminine thing she did do was take care of her own. Even though she told herself she was a girl, she didn't act like it.

The elf looked in her supplies bag and found the ingredients needed to make a morning stew of sorts. It would good to leave on an empty stomach. She took out the cutlery and bowls, getting ready to serve the quick to make meal. The blonde pushed her short hair behind her ear, taking a taste to tell if the stew was ready. Once she deemed it good enough, she smiled and started to serve it, calling out, "Breakfast is done."

The act of affection brought a small smile blooming to the fire elemental's face, even that simple gesture lightening his mood, his heart. He looked after Evel with a slight shake of his head before his attention moved back to Firekicker, untangling the red stallion's mane with a patience he never showed for his own blond mane. Of which his horse was attempting to chew on now, earning a swat of the hand from Anrar to the equine's nose. "Stop that. For the thousandth time, it's not hay!"

Brown eyes looked at him dubiously, affronted by the smack and the removal of his snack. Firekicker snorted, moving his head away from his master's hands to start grazing again and the fire elemental snorted after the animal, the smile on his face grow just slightly. "Drama queen." he shot after the stallion who flicked its tail at him before Aanrar moved away himself, going to Evel and the food she'd made. He wrapped a quick arm about her waist, kissing her temple before releasing the blond elf and taking the plate she offered with a soft thanks.

Sitting, Anrar started to eat, but he slowed about halfway through, his expression more thoughtful as his dark green eyes found the road they were to take to reach their destination. And he couldn't help but think about that destination, his fingers playing nervously with his fork, not even touching his food anymore as his stomach tightened. Nerves, fear, a battle, they always put the fire elemental off his food and right now he felt just as unsure and jittery as he had his first skirmish, thoughts running wild within his mind.

What if they didn't like him? What if they expected too much, more than he could offer? What if it was a trap?

His dark eyes flickered to Isis and Irin, wondering, but that thought Anrar quickly dismissed. No. The twins were honest, that much he could tell, but it didn't take away the nerves he felt and when he saw that everyone else was done eating, he rose quickly, jittery. "We should get going."

The ice elementals looked to each other but said not a word as they rose as well and all four helped clean and pack up the camp, saddled their own horses and were soon off. Isis led with Anrar and Evel coming after, Irin bringing up the rear.

Last edited:
Evel noticed how he didn't touch his food. He was nervous, more than just nervous she could tell. Evel kept stealing glances at Anrar as she rode on Epona. He must've be thinking about whether or not the people would like him, would they put too much pressure on him? She would work her hardest to make sure that didn't happen. If she needed to help to take the pressure off of him, fine by her. Whatever he needed, she would bring.

As they neared their destination, Evel felt excitement and fear crawl up her spine. Turning, she gave a small smile to Anrar. "You're going to be alright." She told him before focusing on keeping Epona on track. The horse seemed very interested in getting out of the area, starting to feel tension in his rider's posture. Evel tried to relax herself to hopefully get Epona to calm down a bit more.

As the small group grew closer, the sun grew higher and higher. Soon enough it was noon. Evel had tried to talk to Anrar to calm his nerves during the trip, but she wasn't sure how effective at it she was. Hopefully he felt at least a little bit better as she pulled a brave front. Even though her heart was hammering wildly in her chest, the way it did whenever she went into battle. It was a scary yet welcomed feeling she hid for the sake of Anrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.