Blind Hearted

"Right here is fine," he answered, feeling around the counter for the silverware. He felt silly for setting those down instead of just holding them... When he lifted his hand up and set it back down, his face twisted into a mix of horror and sadness. Some of his fingers made direct contact with that slice of chocolate cake!

"Son of a-" Patrick stopped himself from saying anything inappropriate. A woman was in his presence, after all! Delicately, he pulled his couple of fingers from the cake, which he assumed was sabotaged. Truthfully, the only visible damage was a pair of holes his digits made. His fingers were coated with frosting and some chocolate crumbs now.

"Sorry," he whined, feeling absolutely stupid.

Rebecca watched in surprsied as Patrick poked his fingers into the cake by mistake, not having been able to voice a warning before it was too late. For a moment she just looked at the cake, the holes that he left no as bad as he probably thought they were. Then out of nowhere...She started to laugh. First it was a soft chuckle before it turned into a fit of loud giggles. She really couldn't help it, it was just the look on his face, so horror struck and frightened, and all for a piece fo cake? It was just to cute and funny for her not to laugh! She walked over to Patrick, still laughing a bit, and smiled as she gently grabbed his frosting covered hand.

"It's okay...we can save it." She said as she acted without thinking.

It was common in her house for people to make a mess or two when it came to baked goods, so when it can to fingers that had suffered for the sake of frosting it was a game of dibs between her and her father, since her mother was the major baker. She leaned in and quickly licked the frosting off his fingers, not leaving a trace of any as she did. She giggled a little more as she looked up at him before realizing what she just did. She blushed deeply then and let go of his hand, stepping back a bit.

"Ah, s-sorry...It's normal to do that in my family and I just sort of acted...sorry..."

Rebecca was... Laughing? Patrick smiled sheepishly, his cheeks turning a bright pink as she expressed her joy towards his clumsiness. Usually, these situations would make him depressed. People liked to laugh at a blind man tripping and falling, or stepping into something nasty on the ground. It surprised him just how many inconsiderate humans there were in the world! Not her, though. She meant for this entire thing to be light hearted and even said the cake would be saved. That helped to ease him.

Patrick was expecting her to grab a napkin for his fingers, else he would have held them under running water. Instead, she ran her tongue over them, licking up every last bit of the frosting. He felt himself getting lost in the act and he couldn't help but realize that it was... Arousing! When she released his hand, he let it fall back to his side, his lips twitching into a half smile.

"Ohh, don't be sorry," he said in an assuring voice. "You sure you got it all?" He smiled again, mischief shaping his lips.

Rebecca blushed even more and looked down embarrassed, she couldn't help it when he asked her if she got it all. She shuffled from one foot to another again as she mumbled.

"I-I'm sure...we should hurry and eat the cake..." She said her eyes looking back to him as a small grin slipped on her lips. "Before there are to many holes in it." She teased as she then moved back to the cake and took a bite.

She "huumm" happily and then with the other utensil, she grabbed a bite and turned to face Patrick.

"Since you're at risk to getting more frosting on your fingers it might be better if I help you eat, least you get completely covered in the frosting." She said, joking a bit as she held the fork up. "Now open your mouth wide okay?"

Patrick made an inward smirk as he listened to her speak so bashfully. This girl truly was the epitome of shyness! He didn't mind it, though. It would help his manners stay in check, no doubt. While he might not be the most social person, making a rude first impression was better off avoided. Being blind seemed to get him off the hook, though, for some reason. Blindness shouldn't excuse poor behaviour.

After a small chuckle, he opened his mouth, waiting for the bite of cake she was going to feed him. That seemed like the wise thing to do, considering that he stabbed the cake just now.

Rebecca put the fork into his mouth gently, making sure the cake got in and didn't get on his face. She smiled a little more and waited for him to close his mouth so she could take the fork back. She was glad that he was okay with doing this, she'd not have him put his hand in the frosting again...because she wasn't sure if she'd have the guts to lick his fingers again.

"Alright, there you go." She said happily.

The bite of cake was chewed and swallowed thoughtfully, to savour the taste. A smile of approval touched his lips, then he waited for the next bite. He enjoyed that slice of cake with her, both of them in silence, but he didn't think too hard about that. Knowing Rebecca, she was still feeling sheepish about licking his hand.

When the dessert was finished off, he licked at any crumbs sticking to his lips. "What would you like to do now?" he asked, deeply hoping she wouldn't choose to go home.

With the cake done and the movie having been a failed atempt, Rebecca really didn't know what else to do. She had never hug out much and when she did it was others doing the planning, not her. She looked up at him quietly for a moment, uncertain who she should answer his question. She didn't know what she wanted to do, but she didn't want to leave. The only thing at home was Rodger, probably sleeping in his bed, there was nothing else there for her to do.

"I don't know...Can I just hang out?...for a little long?" She asked him, her voice kind of soft and uncertain about asking.

Patrick made a sincere smile, wishing he could see her face and reach out to stroke her cheek. It ached him to know he couldn't do that for her. Part of him even felt that she'd be better off around a man who had working eyeballs. Until then, he could give her the best affections he could offer. She'd allow him that privilege, right?

"You're welcome anytime, Rebecca. For as long as you want," he told her, knowing those were repeated words, but had no problem with that. "I'll even give you my spare key. If there's anything wrong and my door is locked, you can come in and I'll make everything better."

Patrick held a hand to his heart as he made these promises, even slightly bowing his head. She was all he had to cherish, so he wanted to be there for her in every way possible. "How long would you like to stay tonight?" he asked, since that would help determine their next activity.

Rebecca couldn't help but smile when he said that, his words were so comforting and supportive that she felt like she could ask him anything and he would answer her and talk with her without hesitation. A tiny part of her felt guilty though, he was such a nice guy and he got stuck with her, a girl who was so uncertain about herself and her goals. She was really just a giant bag of uncertainties and problems.

"Well, could I just hang out all night? Since my parents haven't been able to get together in a long time and this was technically a date night for them I know what they plan to do when they get home...And there room is right next to mine so..." She said, hoping he'd let her stay since she'd rather not have to go home and then get woken up at some ungodly hour to the sound of her parents going at it like rabbits of all things.

Patrick chortled when she finished speaking, making a shake of his head. He never had the issue of 'late night disturbances' caused by parents, but has heard stories. Even though he never knew what his parents looked like, hearing that kind of activity would be unbearable. "Of course," he laughed.

Since she intended to stay overnight, he would have to make her comfortable to sleep. He had to work in the morning, so he couldn't stay up too late. "You can borrow one of my shirts to sleep in," he offered. Patrick then hesitated with the rest of his words, uncertain if he should say she could slumber in bed with him. That might be awkward for her... Not so much for him, though. It wasn't easy to make him feel uncomfortable around another person.

"You can sleep wherever you'd like," he decided, smiling warmly.

A smile of relief sprouted on her face as Patrick said she could send the night. Rebecca would rather sleep on the streets that be woken up by her parents...playing around.

"Thanks so much, Patrick. I promise I won't be to much trouble." She said, greatful for both the shirt and place to sleep. She thought for a moment, wondering where she should set up camp for the night.

It would probably be awkward if she asked to use his bed, and sleeping on the floor for her wasn't an oppstion. She looked at him again, still smiling, and giggled a bit.

"I'll take your couch then. It looks pretty comfy."

Giving her his bed would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. Unfortunately, it was best for him to not to sleep any place else. It was for his own safety more than anything else. He loathed that factor very much.

"Wherever you're comfortable," he replied, moving his white stick about before making his way out of the kitchen. His stomach felt satisfied with gourmet food and a sweet treat. Now, he was ready for anything! The sugar only made him more awake, so he wasn't quite ready to sleep yet. What was there to do, though? A blind man's home had nothing exciting...

Rebecca smiled and followed him out of the living room slowly, looking around absentmindedly as she tried to think of something else they could do. There wasn't much in his house, which was to be expected of a blind man, and she couldn't help picturing having a bit of color in the place, even if he couldn't see it. Maybe some flowers, or a vace, just something to add to the dullness. She then looked back to Patrick, trying to think of something to keep things from getting too quiet.

"So, is there anything else you had in mind? I'm game for any ideas you have."

Patrick was afraid she was going to ask that. The most he did for fun was listen to the TV or the radio, if not go for a walk. They already did those things! Now, he was at a loss for fun activities. Rebecca claimed that she was a boring woman who didn't do much for fun, too. Their relationship wouldn't be too fruitful without something exciting to share. As he stood there, he scratched at one of his temples, desperately searching his mind for an answer to give her.

"What do you usually do at this time?" he asked curiously, hoping that would solve their problem.

Rebecca thought quietly for a moment as remembered what she usually did around this time of day.

"Well, I either read or write. I usually work on some short story ideas as well as possible novels and such." She said as she looked at him with a small smile.

She didn't have any of her writings with her though, they were all at home in her bedroom, stuffed away in one of her desk drawers. She shuffled on her feet as she thought a little more, trying to think of something they could do together.

"If you want...I could read to you. That is if you have any books around to read." She offered sweetly.

Being read to sounded like a wonderful idea. A sad smile touched his lips, his head shaking at her. "That only books I own are written in Braille. Assuming you never learned to read that way..."

Patrick touched his stick to the floor again, feeling his way over to his bedroom where his shelf of books was. Maybe he was wrong; maybe he did have a 'normal' novel. Since no one else lived with him, he doubted that. His family wouldn't have likely thrown in a book he wouldn't be able to read! There was always a chance, though.

"Follow me. You can look through my book shelf. Otherwise, you can make up a story," he told her in a positive tone, refusing to let their night be any sort of dull. "You may change for bed too, if you'd like. Tees are in here." He knocked at the wooden closet door beside him, smiling. There were plenty of clothes in there and he was consistent with doing laundry.

He had no reason to shield his eyes or turn his back to her... Even so, he loathed that he couldn't do what other men his age often tried to do: sneak a peek. The thought made him smirk inwardly. Patrick was a kind gentleman as his mother raised him to be, but nobody was perfect.

Rebecca looked to the closet and opened it slightly, looking over the t-shirt choices that she had for the evening, most of them were solid colors, though a few did have some designs. She picked out a plaine white tee and took it off the hanger gently before tossing it on her arm to change into later. She then shuffled over to his book shelf and started to look over the books. Each one she opened had braille and the more she looked the more it seemed that they were all that way. That is until a book on the bottom shelf caught her eye.

It was simple looking and had no title on the side, but when she looked inside it seemed to be a fairytale book of sorts. The best part was that it was in plain english, no braille! She giggled a bit and looked to Patrick as she pulled it out and smiled.

"Well lucky us! I found one! It seems a fairytale book slipped into your collection Patrick." She said as she flipped through the pages and started to change at the same time.

She didn't feel weird about Patrick being in the same room as she changed, he really couldn't take a peek at her. She slipped out of her clothing and into the t-shirt, it being long enough to cover everything nicely. She eventually turned to him and smiled a bit as she took her clothing and the book.

"Let go read on the couch, there's more room there." She said as she waited for him at the door.

A small frown touched his lips when she announced finding a fairytale book. "My little brother must miss that," he said quietly, wondering how that could have gotten mixed up with his things. He would have to send it back, but how? United States Postal Service couldn't exactly deliver to his home world. He'd have to request a visit from a mail carrier in his realm... That was a note tucked into the back of his mind.

Patrick felt silly that he was going to be read a collection of fairytales. He was a grown man! This was probably even the book he had when he was a child, which was then passed down to his siblings. No complaints were made, though. Like she suggested, he made his way to his couch, which he didn't think was bigger than his giant bed. 'Whatever she's comfortable with, he thought happily.

A hand felt around for a cushion before he sat down, his stick leaning against the arm of the couch. "Fire away," he told her, leaning back while listening for the story.

Rebecca frowned a bit as well, feeling bad that there was now a boy out there in the world that no longer had his fairytale book. She knew that if she had even been without her favorite book as a child she would have lost it! She walked over to the couch as she flipped through the pages and tried to figure out what she could read aloud. Most of the stories in the book were very short and were more for the very little children who needed to be put to bed quickly.

She eventually found a story, it seemed to be about a princess and a dargon of some sort, it certainly wasn't the snow white or cinderella she was used to from her childhood. She decided to read it anyway, since it was going to be new for her and also seemed to be the longest story in the whole novel. She finally sat down next to him, after flipping through all the pages and giving the shirt she was wearing a quick tug down.

She was rather close to him actually, mostly because she had attempted to get her feet tucked under her and sit down at the same time, causing a minor stumble which had her pressing against him for a second before pulling back and adjusting herself.

"Heh...sorry about that...lost my balance for a second there." She said as she settled on the page. "Hmm, I've never heard this fairy tale before...and I don't think I can pronounce the title either...is it German?" She asked as she looked a the strange title curiously.

Everything else had been in english, only the title had gotten special treatment.