Black Sun Chapter 1: The Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to you - if there's a few things you'd want to keep secret, PM it to me, otherwise here is just fine.

I'm sorry but it rubs me the wrong way - while there's nothing inherently wrong with the character, allowing it sets a precedent for happening in a distant future of the Halo universe... I don't think I can do that. Sorry. Think you could come up with something that doesn't link it to the Halo universe? I mean - it's fine if you use the Sangheili species itself, but you'll need to at LEAST come up with a history or such to explain their presence in this universe.

Would a criminal AI be sent on this mission?

Cheesy as all hell, but I'll allow it - as long as you make him more than a generic character. If you can pull that off, welcome!

so how will roles on the ship go? Is that decided amongst the players, or will there be some NPC's that take up roles (such as a captain or soldier)?

what exactly is the enemy here xenomorphs from the alien franchise or what?

*Spoiler alert* the enemy is...
SPACE!!!
OOOOOOooooooo!!!!

Roles will be distributed at the beginning of the RP - but several key crew (CO, XO and pilot, most notably) will be NPCs - no players, most likely, will occupy an important post BUT do not worry, I am always very open with my RPs and the players will have major direction power in it.

As for who the enemy is, it would be rather boring if you knew all the story from the beginning, wouldn't you agree? As a side note, though - this does not happen in an established universe, and as such the likelihood of people explicitly encountering somebody/something from somewhere else is very very slim.

Hello! I'm really interested in joining this as a Vesparian, and am in the process of getting a character sheet together. I was just wondering how appearances work, since Vesparians are such long-living creatures.
- They look like humans, but are there any characteristics which visually distinguish them from human beings?
- How do their looks change as they age? Do they simply take longer to mature? (Eg. a 100 year-old Vesparian looks/behaves like a human child/adolescent) At what age do they look/behave like adults? (Obviously behavior varies according to personality, but just for a general indication).

Vesparians, generally, would have shades of silver or light blonde for hair (platinum, bright blonde, gray, etc) and silver-to-purple eyes and saucer-like ears (along with, but not forced, a node at the back of the neck for a neuromuscular compensator to make up for the strength they might not have because of a low-gravity homeworld), but due to the nature of their existence they can, if skilled enough, uphold any appearance of their wish for as long as they're conscious.

It varies depending on their lifespan, but they live in a quadratic scale (humans start looking old towards 50%/60% of their lifespan with a steady progression and growth - Vesparians look youthful and almost childlike until at least 50%, and don't start showing signs of old age until 80%/90% but when they do they appear quite quickly. Psychologically it's more complex - the maturity/personality scale with their age (as in they might legitimately be more childish, bouncy and generally happy-go-lucky up until 50% of their lifespan), but their technical maturity (empathy, skills, knowledge, and so on) develops just as fast as humans, meaning that it's possible to have a 100-year-old wise-beyond-their-years (wo)man-child. Of course there are many outliers, so don't let this bind you.

Ok thanks! So basically, if my character was expected to live until around 1700 and was around 1070 years old (approximately 63%) they would look like a young adult, although obviously they would have a great deal more experience than a young-adult human?
When creating character sheets, do you want pictures? (Simply because obviously there are no images of 'Vesparians' out there).

For the maturity part, that's exactly it.

For the character sheet, it's up to you - pictures or text. If it's going to be text, though, I'd like a decent deal of description - so that its not "Generic Character #273". Own your character.

1341674-bigthumbnail.jpg

Name: Kazuran "Kaz" Sentri

Race: Human /Male

Log file: Kaz was a small child when he was exposed to his first taste of blood. It was late one night and a ring came to the doorbell, only him and his father were left home Kaz's mother had to work overtime for missing a day. Kaz's father naturally went to go answer the door, but it wasn't his welcoming neighbor or pal it was some woman Kaz didn't know. The woman carried a cybenetic cooking knife that heated itself so you didn't have to put ham or other meats in a stove, she slit his father's throat with it and slowly lurched to Kaz and put the knife in his hands. She had the scariest expression on her face one ready to die, she grasped Kaz's hands and drove the blade in her chest. This was Kaz's first experience in the art of killing, when he was only 8 the case was ruled self-defense.

5 years later the age of 13 Kaz enrolled in a military academy where they train young boys to be soldiers, it was a very expensive camp and the only reason his mother could afford it was due to the fact that she was dating the director. Here is where Kaz learns his combatant skills, he constantly fought and sparred and learned how to use certain weapons from a B-Rank assassination class. The weapons from the class consisted of; Vendetta String: An electron wire capable of traveling astonishing lengths and cutting through its enemies with ease., and A proton rifle. Sword skills were an essential part of the curriculum and he learned Swordplay along with Marksmanship.

The age of 19 Kaz graduates and is sent on an assignment with a small team. Their objective was to secure a drifting convoy, it was supposed to be a simple mission if Kaz wasn't a liar. Once they reached the drifting vehicle it stopped and latched onto the ship, Kaz started wrestling with his crew of three others in an attempt of assassination. He suffered a many cuts, bruises, and rounds in the scuffle. Kaz's whole body was scarred except for his face, but the only reason Kaz made such a giant leap was to get closer to an assassination group that sent him on a mission the same time as the academy. If he completed it he would be accepted and given a mark of acceptance, the tribal mark on his face indicates he is a killer.

4.75 years go by before Kaz ever hears about it again, he is 23 in a ship yard when a note proving him guilty was given to him. Kaz had gotten all that time of peace and to have this come up enraged him. He started killing members of government who knew about this, every day he set out to kill another official. On his birthday the last politician he was going to kill had a note. The note was another 'Your Guilty' letter, but this time it was because of the politicians. The difference as well Kaz was surrounded and only given two choices; to rot or to complete a job. Of course he took the Job.

Is that okay @Yiyel ?

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you - your character (or maybe it's the way you've written it) rubs me the wrong way. However I have nothing in particular that would rule out your character, so in the spirit of fairness, it's in - except for a few details I'd like you to expand on.

First thing you should know, this RP is going to follow the confirmed rules of physics (that only means that the laws of physics we have a good grasp on - if you want to use a yet-to-be-discovered phenomena and make it sound like it COULD be real, it's good). Heat is one of them. So would you explain to me how that cooking knife works? The way I see it, either it'd sear the cut surface, not be as useful as advertised or would take FOREVER to cut and cook something. (Honest note: I was going to question the relevance to the story - but fuck it, it sounds like you're bringing up interesting tech so let's hear it).

Second, a bit more background on Kaz' homeworld would be very welcome - it sounds like a very harsh, dirty and corrupted world if a murderer is prone to showing up at any home and committing a murder-suicide like that (that's not even mentioning the fact that there's a military academy for children - AND the fact that it's completely voluntary from the parents).

Third, if you don't mind (that's just personal info), mind what a B-class assassin entails, and if there's any other classes to mention?

Fourth, I'd like to know exactly how that Vendetta String works. At first I pictured a Hitman-style string-choker except really sharp, but then the length part confused me. Is it like a launcher that shoots two anchored things that slice people? Or a variable-length sword thing? What is it exactly?

Fifth, same goes for the proton rifle. What exactly does it shoot? A single proton at relativistic speeds? A short beam of protons? Or does it use protons for other nasty ways to kill?

Sixth, is there any particular reason why swordsmanship is part of the military curriculum or is it just a rule of cool because swords are awesome?

Seventh, who is that assassination group and how did they contact Kaz?

Eighth, is there a reason why Kaz was given a note of guilt in public instead of in a court house summon or something? Is it part of why his world is so harsh - no real legal system?

Ninth, this sentence really confused me: "The note was another 'You're Guilty' letter, but this time it was because of the politicians". What does that mean exactly?

Tenth, just making sure this is right, you are saying that Kaz had been offered the job before being incarcerated right?

The only parts I'd really REALLY like you to answer are fourth, eighth and ninth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very cool and it's been far too long since I've done some genuine sci-fi. I'm super interested if you're still accepting characters for this

Name: Neith Qexar

Species and gender, if applicable: Vesparian, Female.

Life: 1068/59.3%

Appearance: In her true form, Neith is a slender young woman, standing no taller than 5'5'' with a small frame and very little muscle. She has a small waist, and a slightly short torso in comparison to her legs. She has a long neck, a round face with a pointed chin and large bright silver eyes flecked with purple, which she has a habit of narrowing at people when she is irritated or suspicious. Her nose is slightly upturned and her lips are small in proportion to her face, and shaped in a way which gives them a childish, pouty appearance. The right side of her head is bald and scarred due to an incident in the past: on a day-to-day basis, she alters the skin's appearance in order to conceal the scar, but hair cannot grow there and when she is asleep/unconscious or drained the scar's normal appearance shows. The other half of her head grows thick, long, wavy silver-blond hair, and she has been known to part it in order to conceal the bald side of her head. She also has a scar low down on her chest, although it is far less conspicuous, from the surgery she underwent in order to instal a buffer lung implant to allow her to breathe in lower oxygen concentrations. Being a Vesparian, she has the species' signature saucer-shaped ears and a neural node on the back of her neck, although her hair often conceals these.

Log file: Neith was born to an upper-class Vesparian family, with whom she often traveled to Earth and other planets as a child. Upon reaching adulthood, she began to work as a news reporter, a profession which required her to travel often. Eventually, she settled mainly on Earth, where she lived happily for the greater part of a century. However, a complication in her personal life resulted in her killing three of a prominent politician's body-guards in self defense (the same incident which resulted in the scarring on her head), and then brutally murdering the politician himself.

1. The cooking knife is simple. Using a heater the size of 2 small AA battery in the hilt, you pre-heat the knife and must cut quickly since you cannot set a temperature. The battery is half of the heater component and is changed by simply sliding it out after popping off the casing. Most people just pre-heat the blade to its maximum temperature by running the battery to a quarter of its life. This knife is typically used by professional cooks who can basically cook using their five senses, it is also common amongst murderers. In the case of murder it serves in 2 ways: The classic slice n' dice or the battery injection. People will cut the battery open and shove it down there victims throat, it isn't common with normal murderers like the woman who killed Kaz's father. The battery kill is found in more complex kills.

2.Kaz comes from a overpopulated world, where poverty as well as wealth is common. Due to the government's harsh punishment system of "Guilty means death" criminals tend to commit suicide. This is because the punishment system in Kaz's world solves everything, no matter how small, with the death penalty.As a result of such, rebellious gangs and assassination is common. Most of these goto the military academy and learn their skills there, this is what Kaz did. The academy is mandatory and all academies have a scholastic schedule as well.

3. B-Class means "Covert OP" - Spy/Assassin
A-Class means "Infiltration OP" - Hacker
S-Class means "Combat OP" - Soldier
X-Class means "Explorer OP" - Demolitionist

4.In Kaz's appearance you see that red string right? And the bracelet? That thing works like spiderman's web shooter, but instead of getting him places it serves as a trap. By flicking their wrist the user unlocks the string and it shoots out until it makes contact with any object that can smelt at a cooking temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit. When the user has met his desired target he can continously smold the string creating a thin web at high temperatures. Once the wire cools it is invisible to the naked eye and can be used to: hang, cut, ensnare, and dice up your enemy.

5. The proton rifle works by firing a large continous beam that lasts around the same time it would take you unload a M9 clip, shooting as fast as humanly possible. To reload you have to actually open the gun like an Olympia shotgun and reload. It only has two shots per round.

6.Swords are a part of the curriculum because it is a reliable weapon in close combat. When your out you switch
to whatever you were taught in the academy. Each class learns something different.
B-Class - Kendo
A-Class - Fencing
S-Class - Knuckled knife
X-Class - Boxing

7. The Assassination group is known as The Band Of Rogues or BOR. They were the ones who comforted Kaz during the academy, he met them after getting into a fight at the school. A teen member was watching. They became friends and he was eventually caught up in the BOR organization.

8.There is no courthouse. The police investigate if they say guilty and provide evidence... off with your head! Or you can choose life chained.

9. He killed several politicians because of the first note. If someone got a hold of that evidence that he killed his crew his life was over. As a result the last politician was prepared and gave him another note declaring him guilty and his death sentence dated. He was given a way out by retrieving those ores you mentioned in the overview.

10. Sorta he was incarcerated on the spot and would have been shot to death if he declined the offer to retrieve the items. (( He is surrounded by soldiers the minute the politician passes him the note and as awesome as Kaz is he's not invincible))

@Yiyel

Last edited:
I like this. A lot. You're in. Lemme just make sure I understand the Vendetta String: it's essentially a flash-forged ultra-sharp whip-thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.