Bigger on the Inside (Zarko)

Hugo grinned as Signy spoke up. "Yeah!" said Hugo. "We could all help, and I'm sure Eva and Kennedy would do your makeup if you wanted. We have tons of stuff in the basement for making costumes and a bunch of old props I'm sure nobody would care if we used. Feathers and sequins and rhinestones and a bunch of fabric nobody has ever touched." The boy's face lit up as he spoke.

Jupiter nodded in agreement. "And there's plenty of stuff we could probably find outside if you want. There's a bunch of glue and paint downstairs too." They paused. "The next show is on Saturday...but I think we were supposed to go watch a friend perform tomorrow night. I'm not sure though."

The twins had already darted from the bedroom and were halfway down the stairs by the time Jupiter finished speaking. Jupiter snickered and beckoned for the girls to follow.

Taken aback, the girls shared a look, and a thought: They want to help us? The boys seemed so delighted by the offer Hugo and Jupiter had extended that they'd already darted off. Jupiter gave a little laugh and waved for them to follow. Worry--that they might start to become a burden, that the Ladies wouldn't approve of the boys getting into the costume supplies with them, that the whole thing might be a malicious trap despite all appearances to the contrary--warred with excitement for the chance to explore a whole basement full of costumes. Inwardly caught in a whirl of thrill and trepidation, the girls followed Jupiter's lead.

Reactions: PunkPrince
Ronan stopped at the top of the basement stairs. Reaching up to flick the light on, he realized the bulb must have burnt out. He noticed the faint light streaming from around the corner as Eva's shadows drifted through it. She must have gone down to work on something. The boy shrugged and bounced down the stairs.

The woman looked up as they reached the bottom of the staircase. "I'm sorry it's such a mess down here," Eva apologized. I usually try to keep things somewhat sorted but I'm down here so often I just wind up destroying all my work again."

Hugo slipped past them and gazed around the room. Various dresses and costumes hung from the ceiling beams, and a few, less frequently used wigs were hanging from hooks on one of the walls.

Eva's own dress was on a dress form in front of her. It was made of brilliant red satin, a split up one of the sides that stopped at the hip. Darker red rhinestones lined the bust of the dress. Jupiter grinned. "What's this one for, again?" they asked.

Eva smirked. "You know what it's for," she said. "That number I do with Kennedy."
Ronan beamed excitedly. "You mean that argument number that constantly makes people think you're getting a divorce?!" he asked, with a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm considering the question. "That's my favorite one!"

"This is what Ronan was working on," Hugo chirped. He stood beside another dress form, this dress black and form fitting, and covered in the glass shards of a broken mirror.

"I wouldn't touch it, though," Ronan advised from near the staircase. "I tried to dull down the edges of the shards before I glued them down but I'm not sure how successful I was. I might be performing in it and bend wrong and remove my own appendix by mistake. I'll probably wear it this weekend. I'll have to see if it takes any body parts off."

Reactions: Zarko Straadi
Halle:

"You ruined me, Mother." Hands gripped tight to the wheel, Halle risked a sidelong glance. Eric was slumped in the passenger's seat. Emaciated this time, skin as pale as death. His hair hadn't seen a comb in who knew how long. His arms bore bruising and scabs from too many failed injections. His face, almost zombie-like, bore all the signs of long-term methamphetamine addiction. She turned her eyes back to the road and forced herself to keep her focus there.

"YOU FUCKING RUINED ME!" he shouted, leaning into her ear. She could smell foul breath mixed with alcohol, smell the meth, a whiff of rotting food. Memories came unbidden, of performing CPR not on Eric, but on someone else's son. Her EMT crew found him sprawled on an old, broken-down couch in a trash-strewn shoebox apartment, a couple hollow-eyed roommates looking on. Resorting to the defibrillator, but failing to save his life despite her best efforts. She hadn't seen the Addict in quite awhile now. This time he wore the guise of her Eric, and it took all her will to ignore the phantasm.

"I'm coming for you Eric. Just as fast as I possibly can."

Halle growled with frustration as she struggled with the last catch for the awning of her motor home. Why did everything have to put up a fight? Finally, she got it loose and folded the awning out so Ziggy and Crow would have shade. She opened the side door, and two fluffy border collies bounded out. One was mostly black, the other multi-tone grey and white. She took deep meditative breaths as they gamboled and played. There was nothing in the universe as happy as a happy dog, and these two changed her mood immediately. Quickly, she set out their dishes, filling them to the brim with water and food. The pair trotted up to her and looked up at her with eyes full of love and adoration.

Halle crouched down and ruffled their fur. "I'll be back soon. You'll be meeting Eric today...if it's OK to bring you over." Not knowing if there would be space for her motor home at Eric's house and not wanting to impose, she'd reserved a slot in a local motor home park. "Please God, let him just be gay," she whispered. Of all the ways her mind conjured for Eric to be "ruined" in a way that would cause such wrath in Derick, homosexuality was the best case scenario. She visualized him living in a nice home with a nice husband or partner, loved and happy with his life. Maybe they'd be latte-sipping hipsters with Bernie bumper stickers on their Priuses. Halle smiled at that image. How it would make Derick seethe! She clipped the dogs' chains to their collars and snuggled them a little more before heading to the back of her motor home.

As she lowered the frame that held her red Vespa scooter to the ground and detached it, her heart started racing. Inwardly, she clung to the happy gay hipsters, preparing to greet Eric's partner warmly if he answered the door, and not blink in surprise--or worse, throw her arms around him saying 'Oh thank GOD!'

Elandren and Signy:

As they left their room, the girls noticed that the piano music had stopped; live playing, then.

Signy looked up from they keys. Elandren stood on the balcony that overlooked the studio. She could have been Rapunzel in her tower, but there was a melancholy in her expression that knew no prince or knight would ever want to rescue her. She saw Signy looking and put on an encouraging smile, twirling her hand in a 'go on!' gesture. Signy hit the wrong key.

"Karen! You
must concentrate! Now, start again. You! What are you doing up there?" Mrs. Chadbury picked up a hand-bell and rang it.

A young dark-haired maid entered the room. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Diane, why don't you find something useful for her to do?" Mrs. Chadbury said, gesturing at the balcony. The maid gave an uncomfortable look, but Mrs. Chadbury had already turned back to her lesson with Signy.

"Yes, ma'am." Silently, Diane mounted the sweeping staircase and gently put a hand on Elandren's shoulder. "Come on then," she said softly.

Elandren's fingers dragged lightly across the balustrade. The darker paneling of the room below and its colorful decor made for a much more cozy feel than the spotless white Romanesque lines of Mrs. Chadbury's mansion. The piano, black instead of white, was now unattended. Her other hand held Signy's. None of them has said anything about my face or treated me different, she thought, trying to reassure herself. Still, if Mrs. Chadbury had been a study in faded glory, the Ladies were at the height of their powers. They exuded glamor and presence, and their version of 'singing at the Bolshoi' was coming up this Saturday.

With Jupiter in the lead, they descended to the first floor and made their way through the house. There were rooms and hallways and nooks and crannies; this was a house that invited exploration, and had many rewards to offer. They reached the top of a darkened stairway. Jupiter flicked a switch, but no light came. Pale light came from around the corner of a doorway at the bottom. Shadows flicked ominously across it. If this had been a movie, there would have been a scree of discordant music just then.

Lofty and elegant as always, Jupiter descended the stairs without a hint of fear. "Confident in their fey power, Elethondriel led the brave adventurers Elandren and Signy down into the dungeon," Signy said softly. Ordinarily she would have said it in Djem'nii, but she decided it was best to use the secret language as little as possible in the hearing of their new family, lest they become irritated. Besides, this Story moment inherently included 'Elethondriel.' If Jupiter overheard, there was a chance they might like being part of the narrative, if they even cared. The Twins shared playful looks. In their minds' eyes, the girls became dressed in their adventuring gear. Elandren in green and brown hooded Druid's robes, leggings and moccasins decorated with Druid symbols, beads, and feathers, Signy in a riveted brass pith helmet festooned with gadgets, matching brass goggles around her neck, canvas vest with many pockets worn over a billowy fencer's shirt, roomy canvas pants to match the vest, and black calf-boots. Veteran explorers that they were, they followed Elethondriel (now wearing a silk gown embroidered with knotwork trim and arcane sigils in fine gold thread and a circlet of gold ribbon woven in intricate traceries--crackling with magic, naturally) down the stairs and into the room beyond. Each girl's mental image of Elethondriel differed of course, but both had seen Galadriel from Lord of the Rings and similar characters, and Jupiter fit the type perfectly in their eyes.

The room that lay beyond was a treasury indeed, but but not quite the sort to be found by delvers in a dungeon. There were beautiful dresses and outfits everywhere, feather headdresses and feather fans, shoes, boots, accessories, props and sundries of various sorts. The girls looked around themselves in wonder, careful not to touch anything. The chamber was inhabited, not by a Lich or some sort of monster, but by a beautiful Lady. The two boys had already joined her, standing near a gorgeous red dress on a dress form.

"You know what it's for," Eva said. "That number I do with Kennedy."

Ronan beamed excitedly. "You mean that argument number that constantly makes people think you're getting a divorce?!" he asked, with a ridiculous amount of enthusiasm considering the question. "That's my favorite one!"

At the sound of the words 'you're getting a divorce' the girls froze, their fantasy of exploration immediately dissolved. The looks on Eva and Ronin's faces and the happiness in their voices said it was just a performance, some kind of joke. Whatever it was, both girls were sure they would not find it the least bit funny. A shared look: they would both watch carefully for the first sign of the real thing, and do whatever it took to stop it from happening.

"This is what Ronan was working on," Hugo said brightly.

"I wouldn't touch it, though," Ronan advised from near the staircase. "I tried to dull down the edges of the shards before I glued them down but I'm not sure how successful I was. I might be performing in it and bend wrong and remove my own appendix by mistake. I'll probably wear it this weekend. I'll have to see if it takes any body parts off." His words were hyperbole of course, but Djem'nii shuddered at the image of Ronan on stage in the dress, face twisted in pain, wine-dark spots of blood spreading from each shard as the dress held him trapped in a sparkling, glassy embrace of wounding.

Signy leaned toward it to scrutinize the shards carefully with her hands clasped behind her back, nose almost touching. She could see the work that had been done to grind down the edges of the glass, but she would not be happy until she could examine each one closely, preferably with a magnifying glass. Her engineer's mind found another potential failure-mode: shards prized off the fabric as it flexed under them with Ronan's movements, or knocked free by swishes of the skirt, so that he or someone else might step on them. Perhaps they could also be flung into the audience by his movements.

"Elandren and I know how to sew with needle and thread," she said, still examining the dress shard by shard. "A few loops of white thread or thin fishing line around each shard should be able to secure them firmly, and not be visible from a distance. We could use black thread to sew a bit of quilted backing or felt on the inside of the dress behind each one. A medieval gambeson could stop sword cuts. We wouldn't need to use anything that thick. Do you know what kind of maneuvers you intend to perform? If you're going to twirl around we'll take extra care with the ones on the skirt, especially closer to the edge, since they'll be subjected to the most centrifugal force. You said bends?" Never looking away from the dress, she moved to redirect her attention to the waist, trying to visualize a bend and determine if the shards there were small enough to tolerate it without poking him, peeling off, or breaking.

Then her eyes flicked to the area below the armpits. Biting her lip, she considered the shape of the dress form, then turned her head to look at Ronan. "You..." I hope he's not insulted! "...don't quite have the inward curvature this form does. There's a non-trivial probability the shards on the sides could cut your arms, especially if you swish your arms over them." She turned back to the dress, her face a mask of concentration.

"You could wear really long opera gloves, but they'd probably snag and might not protect well enough. You're trying to be a broken mirror? I could try to make...something like a..." Signy couldn't come up with a word for what she was seeing in her mind. "...thick wires, like from coat hangers, painted black. Attacked to the front and back, they could go around your sides like magnetic field lines. We could attach larger pieces of plastic to them, painted silver, on the front and back away from the sides and the movement of your arms, so they'd look like more pieces of mirror coming out from you. But on the sides, the wires would keep your arms from touching your sides, and they wouldn't have anything on them. Like guard rails."

"Maybe we could put more plastic pieces on the ends of black wires or clear plastic rods sticking straight out from you like porcupine quills, like glass shattering in all directions?" Elandren said, making an explosion gesture with her hands. If Signy was the engineer, she was the fashion designer. "Christmas snowflake and icicle decorations, broken up to look different and painted silver could work. Or pieces of shiny metal. What about something like a collar or fan coming up from behind your shoulders?" she asked Ronan. "Like...like one of those big oval mirrors breaking from the bottom up...big flat plastic pieces painted silver. At the top they'd be rounded, like the original edges of the mirror, except it's broken in big long shards, pointed down to your shoulders. We could paint black cracks on them, more the closer to you. So people could kinda see what the mirror looked like before it broke and started turning into you or whatever. Maybe we could take some Christmas tinsel and paint it all black except in little spots where we'd leave it silver. We could stick it to your arms or whatever's going to be moving so it could look like little tiny pieces of mirror glass coming off."

"We could secure the shard fan to the same thing that's holding the wires that protect your sides," Signy said, stepping in like a tag-team partner as she continued her study of the dress. "We could take the glass off your hips so the framework could be there and support the weight, then glue the glass to the framework. Computer fans! If I could get them to work from batteries, they'd be perfect! They're already black, and they're enclosed for safety." As the words came out of her mouth, she realized no one else was seeing what she was seeing. "For the tinsel, to blow it around, and maybe some long thin sheets of cellophane that would be invisible except when spotlights hit them and reflected, so the whole thing would be dynamic and moving and shattering!" she said, gesticulating animatedly.

Then, all of a sudden, she turned, saw everyone looking at her and came down from her inventor's trance. "If you...even wanted an exploding mirror effect." The girls blushed and looked at each other, then back at Ronan and Eva.

Halle:

Heart pounding in her chest, Halle pulled her scooter up to park, set the kick stand, and dismounted. Please be here Eric! she thought. She took off her helmet and secured it to the back of the bike, got her purse out and hurriedly used a hairbrush to try and get rid of the worst of her helmet-hair. I don't care if you have a husband or ten. Polyamory could be another way to blow Derick's head-gasket. Living with an interpretive dance troupe who performed in black morph suits while somebody read The Vagina Monologues? Or a coven of Wiccans? Maybe. Either way, this home seemed to prune away most of the nightmare scenarios, or at least make them seem a lot less likely.

Only two yet loomed large: he could hate her forever, or the people here never heard of him and had no other leads to offer. Even if you hate me forever...please just be safe and happy. With an effort of will and meditative breathing she managed not to freeze in place or run up the porch stairs and start pounding on the door. Instead, she put one foot in front of the other until she could reach the doorbell and press it with the finger of a trembling hand.

Eva smiled reassuringly at Elandren and Signy, whose expressions had turned worried at the mention of a divorce. "Don't worry," Eva said gently. "We aren't actually getting divorced. Performances where we pretend to fight are just the most fun to do." She shrugged. "I can't remember the last time we had an actual fight."

Ronan turned to look at the twins as they began to speak. Ronan knew how to sew as well, though he preferred not to. "You guys don't have to do that!" he protested. "Really, I'm sure it'll be fine." He was silent for a moment, and then his face spread into a grin. "But if you really want to...I'm not gonna stop you! It would definitely be a help. That guard rail idea would probably be useful too."

The boy suppressed a laugh at Signy's comment about his lack of curves. "I know," he said. "I have a corset and padding and a bunch of other junk I have to wear under the dress. But that idea would probably be a good choice anyway." His face lit up further at the ideas of a collar and using tinsel. "Yeah!" he chirped. "But I'd hate for the fans to break because I moved around to much. I'll probably spin and jump around a lot."

And then the doorbell rang. Eva looked up from her dress, confused, and then looked over to Jupiter and the boys. "Who could that be?" she asked. "You didn't invite anyone over, did you?"
Jupiter shook their head. "No," they said. "Could it be Cherie, maybe?"
Eva paused at the mention of her drag sister and then shook her head. "It's not her," she said. "Cherie hardly ever knocks. If it were her she would have just walked in, come down here, and probably yelled something stupid to surprise me." She shrugged. "And I think she had to take her daughter to the doctor today anyway."

Kennedy closed her laptop as the doorbell rang. She could finish the flyer for the show later. Not like it was coming out that great anyway. She stood up, heels clicking against the wooden floors as she approached the door. She paused as she opened it. The woman on the other side appeared familiar somehow, though Kennedy couldn't place where exactly she knew her from. "Hi," she greeted. "Can I help you?"

Signy and Elandren:

Both girls gave shy smiles at Ronan's enthusiastic reaction to their suggestions. Their eyes lit with a resolve to help create the very best broken-mirror dress in the universe. While Elandren's mind went on a quest for ways to put Lady Gaga's most grandiose outfits to shame, Signy started having a mishmash of visions. Tension cables with spring-loaded reels that would spool out to let the collar-fan spread out when he spun and contract when he stopped. A Hoberman sphere: perhaps the principle could be applied somehow to suspend "mirror pieces" around him that could he could shoot out and withdraw at will. A set of articulated mirror-shard wings--

The doorbell rang. Signy and Elandren looked at each other. They were still in their old clothes and far from ready to present themselves to company. "Can we go to our room?" Elandren asked. "So we can wash up and change?"

"Is there a washroom upstairs? We'll be as quick as we can!" Signy said.

Halle:

Halle had tried to be ready for anything. Gay lover, goth, punk, biker, Wiccan, Satanist, New Age fortune teller, fiery activist, Buddhist monk, tweedy New Atheist, or any combination thereof. Highly attractive young woman dressed to the nines and dripping with confident sexuality? Bolt from the blue. That awkward blink of surprise she'd been hoping to avoid giving happened anyway.

"Oh, um...I'm very sorry to bother you, but I'm looking for Eric Robins..."

This woman was looking for Eva. Eva hadn't told her she was expecting anyone, and the use of her birth name threw Kennedy off. If this woman knew Eva, she knew her from long ago. Kennedy hesitated.

"Can I ask why?" Now that the woman had said she was looking for Eva, Kennedy could see somesimilarities between the two of them, particularly in the face. Perhaps this woman was a relative? As far as Kennedy knew, Eva had no living relatives that she had remained close with after her transition, or really been close with before for that matter.

"The upstairs bathroom is across from your bedroom," Eva told them. "You can go up and change if you really want to but I honestly doubt it's anybody important." Eva stood and headed up the staircase anyway, Jupiter and the boys following close behind her. Hugo was the first to reach the top, and upon noticing the stranger in the doorway, bolted up the stairs to his bedroom. He'd met enough new people today, thank you very much.

Eva strode into the front hall as she reached the top of the stairs. "Kennedy?" she asked. "Who is it? She turned to face the door, and then froze. She stared at the face at the door, and then took a step backward.

"I–you..." she stuttered. She shook her head a few times, as though the woman might vanish if she did. As far as she was concerned, she was seeing ghosts. "Mom?" she blurted, and then looked pleadingly at her wife. "I'm losing it, aren't I?

Kennedy didn't say anything, only took a step back to stand beside her wife. She gave Eva's arm a gentle squeeze as she examined the woman in the doorway. She looked similar to the woman she had seen in all of Eva's photos, just older. But there was no way this woman could possibly be Eva's mother, because Eva's mother was dead.

Halle:

He's here! An electric jolt of joy, then the wariness in the young woman's voice registered.

"...doubt it's anybody important." The words came from somewhere deep in the house. Was that his voice? Halle resisted the urge to call out his name, and tried to gather her wits to provide the woman in front of her a tactful answer. A boy appeared, took one look at her, and bolted up the stairs. Halle knew that response. Ziggy did it whenever anyone but Halle came near. He was a Rescue dog, and he'd come a long way since she'd first seen him cowering in the back of a cage at the shelter. Abused children? No, that was impossible, had to be; not her Eric. A rescuer of abused children, yes.

"Oh, I'm not here to serve papers or anything like that," Halle said. "I'm his--" Another young woman appeared: tall, stately, with a stride that could grace any catwalk. Halle might have been glad to meet her and get to know her under any other circumstances, but at the moment, her whole world was contracted down onto one person, and he was still somewhere just out of reach.

"Kennedy?" she asked. "Who is it?"

Halle startled. His voice seemed to come out of the new woman. "I--you--"

Halle closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Some new trick of her mind? She couldn't recall a woman like that in any of her traumas, or think of any reason why her appearance would be projected onto Eric, or his voice onto her.

"...I'm his..." She opened her eyes, and the woman was still there.

"Mom?!" His voice. From someone else's body.

Elandren and Signy:

"He couldn't come back and take us away somehow, could he?" Elandren asked Signy in a whisper. "They signed papers!" Rather than come fully into view, the girls leaned to peer out at the stranger. Relief: just some lady.

"Mom?!"

The girls retreated and exchanged a look. "Her mother?" Signy said. Elandren looked back down the stairs. Hide in the basement? "She might call us out to meet her! We have to get ready, fast!" Elandren nodded. She'd thought there was something odd about the encounter, but no time to get it sorted. If there was anyone for whom they had to look, and be, good, Eva's mother had to qualify. Following Hugo's lead, they bolted up the stairs to their room.

Halle:

Two girls, younger, ran up the stairs. Halle got an impression of threadbare, almost homemade--or home-repaired--clothing. One in an ill-fitting tweed jacket and pleated skirt that wouldn't have been out of place in Oliver Twist, the other in a ragged dress that verged on medieval. But Halle only got a peripheral look at them. Her attention was on the young woman who was now seeking comfort from the one she called 'Kennedy'--in Eric's voice.

Looking more closely, she could now see elements of her son--the eyes, the angles of jaw and cheekbones, the shape of his lips. But they were subsumed by an invasive femininity that ironically increased his resemblance to Halle herself, down to a similar taste in hairstyle.

"E-Eric?" This shouldn't be real, couldn't be real. It was that moment in any number of science fiction or horror movies where someone was being taken over by an alien presence, the last remnants of their real self about to be absorbed, and someone who loved them started shouting, 'You have to fight it!' An impulse born of ancient mammalian instinct rose like a tsunami, making her want to grab this person by the shoulders, shake her and shout 'GIVE ME BACK MY SON!' But her rational mind, like a charioteer straining desperately at the reins of out-of-control horses, knew that would be a disastrous reaction. "How? Why?!" she stammered.

• Love
Ronan immediately followed Signy and Elandren up the staircase, Jupiter quickly following after him. Jupiter stopped at the top of the stairs, glancing back over their shoulder at the woman in the door frame. The resemblance was there, but this woman couldn't be...she'd been dead for years according to Eva. Killed by some unknown disease that resulted from a needle prick. Eva had never recovered from it. It was why Eva always spent the anniversary of her death in bed or asleep, and why the days leading up to and following it had always left her even more vulnerable and sensitive than usual.

"She's supposed to be dead," Ronan whispered. "That's what Eva said. She's been dead for like fifteen years...hasn't she?" He looked over to Signy and Elandren as they passed, and quickly shook his head before darting into his bedroom along with Jupiter. Hugo was sitting on his bed, and he looked up as his siblings entered, as though he was expecting some kind of explanation. Ronan only shrugged in response.

--

Eva stood, completely frozen to the spot, her eyes darting between her mother and Kennedy, filled with a mixture of shock and fear. She was completely silent, aside from a small nervous whimper that escaped her lips. "You–" Eva squeaked. "You're supposed to be–Dad told me you died!" She was trembling at this point, only slightly reassured by Kennedy's gentle grip on her arm. The fact that she had never gotten the chance to come out to her mother before her supposed death was what caused her the most panic.

"I'm sorry!" she cried. "I-I was going to tell you, I wanted to and then you...you got sick and I...and then you died, or you were supposed to have died and I just–" She stopped for a moment. Her shaking had only gotten more intense, and her sentences turned into fragments that only came between her panicked breaths. She flinched as her mother spoke, as though she was afraid of being hit.

"Dad, I'm sorry!" Eva shrank away from the man in front of her, who was now no more than a stranger. She flinched, holding her hands up in an effort to protect her face. She cried out as he grabbed her wrist, the bracelet around breaking and scattering the beads about the floor. The man wrenched her arm down and slapped her into the face.

Her mother seemed just as confused and ready to fall over as Eva was. "I'm sorry!" Eva yelped. "Please don't hate me!" Kennedy tugged Eva toward the couch. "Eva," she said softly, pressing gently on her shoulders. "Sit." Eva had calmed slightly, but still didn't dare to look up at the woman in the doorway, her head resting in her hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Signy and Elandren:

"Dead? Could she be some kind of con artist?" Signy wondered.

"I don't know. Come on," Elandren said, taking her hand and dragging her to the washroom. The sounds coming up from below were not happy ones.

"What are we going to do?"

"I don't know. But we need to be ready to do it. I'll take the tub, you take the sink. We'll wash up as quick as we can, then get changed."

"Right," Signy said with a nod, then stepped up to the sink. Djem'nii plunged into the task of washing faces hair and hands.

Halle:

You're supposed to be dead! Eric hadn't said it quite that way, but the thought's components were laid out, like scattered pieces of a small child's four-piece jigsaw puzzle, the solution and resulting picture obvious. Halle felt her heart being ripped out when he went to Kennedy for comfort instead of her. By instinct, her arms stretched out toward him, but she hadn't been invited into their home, much less to go to her son.

"I could never, ever hate you Eric. I just...I don't understand..."

"Dammit Eric, how long have we been practicing this, and you still throw like a girl?! Oh, now you're gonna cry too?"

"That. Is.
Enough, Derick!" Halle said. "You realize I'm a 'girl,' right? Do you really have so much contempt--"

"Oh gimme a break Halle, this isn't about you!"

"Not it's not, but it's not about
you either. It's about him. Let's say he learns this 'lesson' you keep trying to teach him, that a girl is the worst possible thing in the whole universe to be, then some young lady at school catches his eye. How's he supposed to feel about her? How's he supposed to treat her? Or when the nurse hands him his newborn baby and it's a girl, is he supposed to be angry and disappointed that he didn't get a 'superior' man-child? I won't have you teaching him that the only sort of person that's worth anything is Conan the Barbarian! I shudder to think of what you'd be like if we'd had a daughter! Why can't you just let him be the boy he is instead of trying to make him into some cartoon action hero?"

"Did he drive you to this?"

Kennedy looked back to the woman in the doorway. "I...you can come in," she said. "Just..." She trailed off and let out a loud sigh.

Eva's breathing had calmed and her trembling had lessened. She shrank into Kennedy as her mother spoke. She wanted to know why. Well, it was a start, at least. Her father hadn't cared about the why part. Only about how it had affected him, how mortifying it would be to have a son that had become a daughter. Kennedy's presence comforted her. Despite Eva being significantly larger, Kennedy was normally the one who wound up standing up to other people most often. She was usually the one everyone else turned to for protection. Being tough was how she had coped. She had grown up small and picked on, so she made up for what she lacked in strength with her sharp tongue. Eva had done almost the opposite. Rather than snap at people the way Kennedy might, she chose to retreat into herself and hide for a while until the threat went away.

"I..." Eva started. "I didn't do it because of Dad. I just...I knew I was trans when I was younger. I just didn't have words for it, and by the time I did, you were gone."

"Dad doesn't talk to me at all anymore," she said softly. "He was so mad at me and it was an absolute catastrophe when I finally did tell him, I thought maybe it was best that I hadn't told you at all...I missed you."

"Is Eva okay?"

Kennedy looked up to see Hugo's skinny shape on the staircase, peeking out from just behind where the railing ended and the wall masked the rest of it. Normally he wouldn't have dared to venture out, much less speak wit"h a stranger in the house. They must have actually worried him. The boy had begun to cough at this point, loud and hacking, and Kennedy wonder if he had bothered t take his medicines that morning. She somehow doubted it.

She opened her mouth to respond, and the realized that the boy had already vanished up the stairs.

Hugo slinked back into his bedroom, struggling to suppress his coughing. The boy let out a high pitched squeak as something hit him in the side. He sighed loudly as he picked the heavy vest up from the floor. Ronan was staring at him blankly without saying anything.

"Fine," he muttered quietly, slinging the vest over his shoulders and wandering over to the machine by his bed to hook it up. "I'm not doing the mask, though." The boy huffed as he turned the machine on and let it vibrate against his chest. He tended to avoid the thing when he could. It loosened the mucus in his lungs but it required him to stay mostly in one spot so it could work.

Elandren and Signy:

Hair disheveled and hanging in moist rivulets after hurried towling-off, Elandren and Signy dashed across the hall to their room. Opening their closets--marvelous clothes!--no time to enjoy the moment or explore. Elandren grabbed a green dress embroidered with leaves, Signy a cream-white Mod-style jumper, and both scrambled to change clothes as quickly as possible.

Halle:

Trans...transsexual. The word reached Halle's consciousness as a guest of honor arriving much too late to their own party. Like the collapse of a Jenga tower happening in reverse, the chaotic jumble of her thoughts assembled themselves into a coherent, if rickety structure.

"Oh Eric...Erica?" At the other woman's invitation, she entered and closed the door behind her. "I'm so--"

"Is Eva OK?" Halle looked up to see the shy boy--briefly, as he vanished the instant her eyes landed on him. His...her name is Eva.

Halle opened her mouth to speak again, but was interrupted by hacking coughs that pierced the air; not normal. Mucus flowing into aveoli, bronchial tubes constricting, air flow restricted. She could hear it. Oxygen levels in the pulmonary capillaries would be declining. Her demeanor changed instantly. With tears still running down her cheeks, her face became serious, determined. "I'm an EMT!" she said, running across the room at full tilt. She took the stairs two at a time and had her phone in hand by the time she reached the top. The coughs were subdued now, muffled, coming from behind a closed door. Subsiding, or was he running short of air?

"Young man, are you alright? I'm an EMT..." Two girls--the ones she'd glimpsed earlier, but they'd hastily cleaned up and changed clothes--poured out of a room across the hall. One of them screened the other with an arm and moved to interpose herself between Halle and the boys' room. They looked up at her with big round eyes. "I'm not going to hurt anyone. Is he alright?" The girls' heads flicked toward the door and back, their expressions saying they didn't know either.

"Hugo? Ronan?" the protectress said, clearly torn between defending the door to their room with her body and rushing in herself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hugo scrambled to the other side of his bed as the woman appeared in his doorway. He flinched, and Jupiter stood up to stand between their younger brothers and the woman in the door frame. "He'll be fine," Jupiter said, their voice more stern than usual. They turned to look back at Hugo. "If you did your breathing treatments like you were supposed to, maybe you wouldn't cough out a lung ten times a day."

Eva and Kennedy had followed Halle up the stairs. Kennedy vanished into the bathroom for a moment, and Eva gently pulled her mother back by her arm. "You're scaring him," she said quietly. Kennedy reappeared behind Eva with two small bottles of pills. She tossed them over the other woman's shoulder and they landed on the bed beside Hugo.

"Take your pills," she told him. "And then go use your inhaler when you're done with that. Honestly, start setting an alarm on your phone, or something. It's gonna be a lot less fun if you get a lung infection and have to go into the hospital again." She turned to go back down the staircase. "And put your mask on!" she called over her shoulder. "The breathing treatment doesn't help if you only do half of it!"

Eva sighed and looked back toward her mother. "I'm sorry," she apologized. "He has cystic fibrosis, so he coughs like that a lot. He's supposed to be taking medicines and using that vest twice a day." She looked directly at Hugo as she spoke.

"Sorry," Hugo said quietly, though it wasn't clear exactly who he was apologizing to.

Halle:

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you--any of you," she said to Hugo, then shifted her gaze to the girls to include them as she backed away quickly, towed by Eva. "I...got a bit of a scare myself there... I'm sorry Eric--Eva...I must be making a horrible first impression on your family," she said as they reached the stairs and started going back down. "I wish with all my heart that I had been able to find you sooner. I wasn't there for you...for any of this, for any of the times you might have needed me. Oh God, I can only imagine how horrible Derick must have been--and I wasn't there for you!" She turned to Kennedy, fresh tears in her eyes. "I get the impression you were there for hi--her when...she needed you. Thank you."

Signy and Elandren:

Neither girl could think of anything to say to the woman's apology, and it seemed best for Hugo to let Eva and Kennedy get her away as quickly as possible, so they didn't say anything. Once the grownups were on their way downstairs, Elandren turned to the boys and Jupiter. "Sorry Hugo if we scared you too. We're glad you're OK. We'll just go into our room now but if there's anything we can do for you just call for us OK?"

Eva turned to follow her mother down the stairs. "Don't worry about Hugo," she said. "He'll be okay. Everything scares him. He only just met the girls today. He's probably overwhelmed by the extra person. Honestly, the fact that he didn't take off running when you followed him upstairs is an improvement for him. All our kids are somewhat wary of strangers, but they'll come around. It's just a lot for them to adjust to in a day. It's been a busy one."

She wrapped her arms around Halle as the woman began to cry. "Dad told me you were dead. I'm not mad you weren't there. I'm just glad you're still alive. I missed you so much..." she trailed off. "I did finally manage to learn to play the piano, though." Her mother had spent hours attempting to teach her when she was young, but none of it had ever really stuck in her mind. She'd eventually taught herself.

She settled next to Kennedy on the couch as her mother spoke to her wife. "Dad kicked me out when I told him," Eva said. She glanced over toward Kennedy. "I was watching her perform to a Michael Jackson song in a bar. And then she bought me a peach daiquiri and let me stay on her couch. And then I married her."

Hugo craned his neck to watch the adults go down the stairs before coughing mucus into a tissue. "Gross," he muttered, balling up the tissue and discarding it. He looked back to the twin. "You didn't scare me," he said, picking up the bottles of medicine from beside him. "You don't have to go. I'm sorry if I scared you, too. My lungs just aren't very good at being lungs sometimes. I'll be okay."

Halle:

Halle listened to Eva's tale with a bittersweet smile, wincing only when she mentioned being kicked out by Derick. "Eric--Eva, God, I'm sorry, it's going to take me awhile to make that switch..." She looked her former son in the eye, joy and pain at war in her heart. "I'm sorry if I don't always react the way I should. The first thing I want you to know is, I don't disapprove of this...change you've made. As long as you can look at yourself in the mirror and be happy with who you see there...I always wanted you to find your own way." She took a seat, let her heart rate slow back down, and tried to take it all in.

"But it's going to be hard for me..." she said, scrambling for a way to articulate her feelings. "Because...it's like you were a caterpillar, and while I was gone you went and turned into this amazing, beautiful butterfly, and stretched you wings out to fly. And look at your wings," she said, gesturing around herself. "You're lovely and confident and you've found a loving partner. And my God, you have children. They're so beautiful. And this wonderful home. You've done so well with your life. I know I should be proud of the...woman you've become, and I will be...but I still love the caterpillar. My sweet, gentle boy," she wiped a tear.

"I will always love him more than life and I can't stop loving him. My Eric...and it's like...it feels like...like you tore him off and cast him aside like a shed skin. I still love him and I don't know how to let him go. He's dead, my son is gone, and I never got to have this daughter. I know that's not...that's not rational. This...Eva must have been inside you all along and I never saw it, I never saw it, and I'm so, so sorry. And you had to go through this all alone until you found her!" she said with a gesture toward Kennedy. "I should have been there for you. I should have been there for you!" Waves of guilt crashed over Halle. Sobs broke free, and she buried her face in her hands, crying uncontrollably.

Elandren and Signy:

"We're glad you're OK," the girls said in unison. "We...should probably go finish getting ready," Elandren said. "In case Eva calls us down to meet her mother. But can we come back?"

Last edited:
"Yeah," Hugo said, swallowing his pills. "You can come back. I'm not going anywhere." The boy coughed again and undid the vest, tossing it over the machine and flopping down on his bed.

--

Halle burst into tears, and Eva silently wrapped her arms around her mother, burying her face in the woman's shoulder for a moment. "Mom," she said softly. "I don't care if you slip up. I don't care that you weren't there, I'm not mad at you for being gone. The important thing is that you're back now. I spent so many years thinking you were gone forever because of what Dad told me."

"And I know it's hard. But Eric's not dead. The name might be, but I'm the same person I was before you got sick. All the things I liked then, I still like now. I didn't change my whole personality." She paused, blinking back tears. "And...and I still cry when I'm angry...or sad...or happy. Most emotions, actually." She laughed softly as tears began to stream down her cheeks. "The only reason you didn't see any of it was because I didn't want you to. I didn't tell Dad until I was twenty. I didn't even hint at it I know you feel bad for what you've missed, but you're here now. And I can't wait to show you everything."

"Please...take as much time as you need with that," Signy said gesturing at Hugo's vest. "And the mask...if you still need to keep using them when we get back, we'll wait. As long as you need, OK?" Elandren nodded her agreement.

----

As soon as Halle felt Eva's embrace, she threw her arms around her and held her tight. She felt a strange mix of the familiar and the new. The general form was one she knew like the back of her hand; someone she'd been holding in her arms since "he" was a baby. But there was a subtle scent of perfume, the longer hair, and a woman's bosom. A grown woman, in place of her teenage son. But she had the same voice, the same gentle, loving heart.

"I missed you...oh God how I've missed you. Not a day has gone by that I didn't think of you, didn't wish I could find you, come to you. I came as fast as I could, baby. I came as fast as I could." More tears, holding Eva tight. Finally, she pulled back to look at her daughter's face and stroke her cheek. "You're so...grown up. And you're really stunning as a woman, you know," she said, smiling through her tears. "I never told you how you got your name, your...old name? It was our first big fight. He wanted you to be 'Derick Junior.' I wanted you to have your own name, so you could define yourself instead of being defined by him. And we fought, oh did we fight. On and on and on. 'Eric' was how we finally met in the middle. But now that you're 'Eva'...I guess I got my wish, one hundred percent. But what I want most is for you to be happy, to feel comfortable in your own skin. 'Eric' never really had that...do you have it now? Is this really it?"

Hugo nodded. He left the mask on for some time after the twins left, and then ventured into the bathroom for his inhaler. Putting it away when he was done, he paused at the top of the stairs. He couldn't hear anybody sobbing anymore, and he felt somewhat bad for reacting to Eva's mother the way he had. She hadn't meant any harm. And he didn't want Kennedy to be upset with him. He glanced over to Elandren and Signy's cracked door and then hesitantly began to make his way down the steps. Ronan quickly followed after him, unwilling to let his brother go down on his own.

Eva sank into her mother's arms. "I try," she said. "And I know you tried to find me. I wouldn't doubt that for a second. But I'm happy now, I promise. Happier than Ive ever been. I'm finally not hiding anymore. I have a family. I have you back in my life. And I'm glad for that."

She looked up as the twins descended the stairs. Hugo, though still nervous, seemed to have calmed slightly. Kennedy looked over at him.
"Did you take your pills?"
"Yes."
"Did you leave your vest on with the mask like you were supposed to?"
"Yes. I used my inhaler too. I'm sorry." He looked to Halle. "I'm sorry I scared you." The boy settled on the couch between Eva and Kennedy, his brother striding up to meet the woman on the couch.

"Hi," Ronan greeted. "My name is Ronan and this is Hugo."

"OK, we'll be right back," Signy said, then she and Elandren hurried to their room. "I'm still not sure I believe this is real..."

"I know. Come on, we've got to hurry. You...think they like us, real?"

"I think so. I hope so."

Elandren and Signy started opening cabinets in search of hairbrushes. The first one Signy opened contained a set of binders, pencils, mechanical pencils, pens, and geometry drawing tools for school...and next to those a set of actual drawing tablets, art pencils, colored pencils, watercolors, and a fountain pen set. On top of the tablets was a small, thick leather-bound book. Its cover was tooled with intricate Celtic knotwork and symbols, and it closed with a brass clasp. She opened it; the paper appeared to be made and bound by hand. The pages were blank; the mystic tome was waiting to be written.

"Elandren! Look!" Signy waved her sister over, her mind automatically contemplating how to fairly divvy up the treasure. Elandren came over and peered into the cabinet, her face lit with the same expression Howard Carter must have worn when he peered into Tutankhamun's tomb for the first time. "This would be perfect for your spells!" Signy said, showing her the book. On a hunch, Elandren went back to her side and opened the corresponding cabinet.

"I think that one might be for your inventions," she said in a voice filled with awe, producing another tome, richly decorated in an Art Nouveau style. "Or maybe this one is?" Signy stepped over. Sure enough, Elandren's cabinet contained a matching set of school and art supplies. The pair stared in stunned astonishment for a moment before Signy snapped out of it.

"This one looks a little more Druid...don't you think?" Signy said, noting how the Celtic designs seemed to convey an aura of ancient magic. "Trade?" Elandren smiled and held out the Art Nouveau tome, and the deal was made. The girls held their books to their chests, eyes closed, trying to take in their feel, their solidity, their reality.

"We really do need to hurry," Elandren said. Signy snapped her eyes open and nodded. Carefully, she replaced her tome while Elandren did the same. They resumed their exploration of the cabinets.

"Shoes and socks here!" Signy said.

"Hairbrushes!" The girls dove in and helped each other get ready. Elandren combed her hair down to hide the left side of her face, checking in the mirror to make sure her deformed tissue was hidden.

"Please don't do that," Signy said softly.

"Amy! Just what do you think you're doing?! Put that down before you break it! Take that dress off and get back into your own clothes! You should be grateful you get anything at all!" Mrs. Chadbury had walked into Signy's room to find the girls both wearing Signy's dresses and playing with her expensive china dolls. "And you! You can't just let her wheedle her way into getting her grubby little hands on your things!"

"Ma'am...please don't be mad at her," Signy said, trying not to tremble in the face of Mrs. Chadbury's wrath. "It was...it was my idea. We share."

"Karen, one of the first lessons you're going to have to learn about life is, that as soon as you start to become a success, you're going to attract all manner of hangers-on, parasites. People who will hold you back and drag you down because they want a piece of your success for themselves but aren't able to earn their own." Signy's expression turned dark.

"Look at her. Put a pretty dress on her, it doesn't matter. Do you really think anyone would ever pay to see
her in a movie, or perform on stage?"

"I don't know. I don't care," Signy said, taking Elandren's hand.

"You don't
care?! I all but salvaged you out of the garbage. This," she said, gesturing at the room, and by extension the mansion that contained it, "is the very best, one-and-only chance you are ever going to get to make something of your life. To have the best clothes and go to the best schools and use that opportunity to become someone who matters. Life doesn't owe you anything, and it won't give you anything, unless you are very, very lucky. And if you do happen to be very lucky and get a chance, like this one chance you have right now, you have to seize it, and make the most of it. Because there won't be more coming. The universe would be perfectly happy to let the two of you starve in the gutter, and no angels or fairy godmothers will ever show up to rescue you."

"Ma'am, I promise I'll try as hard as I can, I swear!" Signy said. "But why can't Elandren have pretty dresses and dolls too? You don't even have to buy extra--we'll share, we always share. I'm
happy to. Even if she can't be a movie star or a singer, why can't she be a great writer or scientist or, or anything she wants to be? Please, ma'am. If you're going to give me a chance...couldn't you please give her a chance too?"

"See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're already unwilling to move forward unless you can drag her along with you. Becoming a success isn't going to be
easy, even with the help I can give you. You can't afford the extra weight."

"She's not extra weight!" Mrs. Chadbury scowled at Signy's outburst.

"I assure you, she is. You can't see that, so I'm just going to have to save you from yourself. I'm going to call my solicitor, and see what it'll take to have her sent back--"

"
No!" the twins said in unison, their joined hands clinging tighter.

"It's a mercy to her. Following in your wake, all she would ever be is Karen Chadbury's ugly sister. The media and the paparazzi would be utterly ruthless. You'd have an impossible time trying to make the right sort of friends and get the attention of the right sort of people with
her tagging along."

"I'll decide the right sort for myself, thank you," Signy said, quoting from Harry Potter, the moment he turned down Draco Malfoy's offer of friendship at the cost of tossing Ron aside. The words had just come out, and she could see by the flash of anger in Mrs. Chadbury's eyes that they were about to prove catastrophic.

"You'll 'decide the right sort for yourself'--at ten years old? When you know
absolutely nothing about how the world works? Amy: look around. This is by far the best home you've ever been in, is it not?" Elandren didn't have to look around. She nodded. "Much better than the kind of homes that were willing to accept the two of you because it meant getting two stipends from the government instead of just one. You know full well that those are the only kinds of homes that would rather take both of you instead of just her. If you love your sister, you wouldn't want to keep this from her, would you?" Elandren's expression was pure pain.

Signy reached up, stroked Elandren's hair aside, and swept it over her shoulder. "Come on. The boys are waiting." By the time they got to the boys' room, the boys were gone. "We're late!" Signy hissed, dragging Elandren toward the stairs.

---

"I'm glad too," Halle said, then followed Eva's gaze. The three older children were coming down the stairs. Halle beamed at them. "I am so glad to meet you Ronan," she said taking the boy's hand as he came to greet her. "And you too, Hugo. You don't need to apologize, I'm just glad you're alright. And I'm sorry for scaring you. I might have overreacted to the sound of your coughing. There's this...part of me that always wants to charge into the flames, off to the rescue." She chuckled at herself. "It's got me into quite a bit of trouble in life. But it's also gotten some people out of trouble, so I guess it all balances out. If there's ever a time when you, any of you need me, I will do absolutely everything in my power to be there for you."

By now the two younger girls were scurrying across the balcony and down the sweeping staircase. Halle noticed the one with the skin condition surreptitiously wiping a tear, but by the time the reached the bottom of the stairs she wore a taciturn expression, sticking close to her sister.

"I'm sorry we're late," Signy said. "Uh...I'm Signy and this is Elandren. I-it's nice to meet you ma'am." Both girls curtsied. "We just got here, so we only just got the chance to make ourselves presentable." Halle couldn't help but smile at the girl's adorable British accent.

"You don't have to apologize, dear. I'm sorry for the way I just showed up on your doorstep. I didn't know to look for 'Eva,' so I wasn't able to find my daughter's social media or phone information and make arrangements to come over. The only lead I had was the sales transaction for this house, which had his--her old name on it. So Er--Eva, Kennedy, all of you, I am sorry for the way I just dropped in on you unannounced."

• Love