Bigger on the Inside (Zarko)

Hugo smiled at the woman as she apologized. Elandren and Signy came scurrying down the steps. "Nobody's late," Kennedy said gently. "You don't have to apologize." She looked up as Jupiter strode down the stairs.
"Hi," Jupiter said, extending a hand to the woman on the couch. "My name is Jupiter."

Eva looked back to her mother as she apologized for dropping by unannounced. "You don't have to apologize," she said softy. "I'm just happy to have you back." She was silent for a moment. "Do you have a place to stay? You could stay here if you need to. I...we have another empty room you could stay in. Or stay for dinner, at the very least."

Hugo looked up from where he sat. "Speaking of dinner," he said. "What are we having? I'm hungry."
"You're always hungry," Kennedy said.
Eva shrugged. "I don't know. I was going to cook if everyone can agree on something. We could always just go out somewhere. Or order pizza." She gazed around the room. "Any suggestions?"

(I'm sorry it's so short!)

To the girls' relief, Kennedy dismissed the idea that they were 'late,' and Eva's mother showed no indication of disapproval. Jupiter sealed the deal by descending the stairs last of all, regal as always. Signy smiled shyly at them. At the mention of dinner, her stomach growled, but she and Elandren both knew better than to speak out with any 'suggestions.'

"I'd love to stay for dinner!" Halle said. "I have a motor home, it's at Pine Mountain motor home park. Since I just had the address, I didn't know what the parking situation would be here. I also have two border collies named Crow and Ziggy Stardust. They're Rescues and they're shy around strangers, so they would mostly hide in the motor home if I brought it here, especially Ziggy. Does anyone have animal allergies? I'm fine with parking the motor home here or keeping it at the park, whatever works best for you. As for dinner, I'm fine with pretty much anything. I'm just happy I finally found you and got the chance to meet your beautiful family!" she said to Eva. "If you decide to cook, I'd also be glad to help. I haven't exactly had the chance to make a meal with my daughter yet," she said with a grin.

Reactions: PunkPrince
"You can bring the motor home here if you like," Eva told her mother. "I'd love to have you close. "And none of us are allergic to—"

Ronan cut her off. "Please bring your dogs!" he piped up. "I love dogs!" Ronan often fed the stray animals around town, and was friendly with some of them as well. "And I like how you named your dog after a David Bowie song. Jupiter likes David Bowie. They–" He stopped abruptly, realizing he had begun to ramble. "Never mind," he said softly.

He said nothing else. Where Hugo was timid and rarely spoke, Ronan often rambled to just about anyone who was even mildly interested in him. He always had, and it often put people off. Aside from the company of his twin, Ronan had grown up fairly lonely, and often latched on to just about anyone who would tolerate his presence.

Eva gently gave his arm a squeeze and looked back to her mother. "I'd like that," she said. She had frequently helped her mother cook when she was a child, much to her father's dismay. She looked back to Elandren and Signy. "Any ideas?" she asked them. "It's your first day here, after all. I'd like to be able to make something special for you."

"I'm delighted to meet you, Jupiter," Halle said, taking their hand gently in both of hers while she listened to Eva and Ronan's replies. She smiled at Ronan, wondering what it was he'd been about to say, but she decided not to press him on it. He's so much like Eric was at that age, she thought, feeling another mix of joy and heartache hit. Bright and joyful, ready to come out and shine for the world, but sensitive, and just as quick to be driven back into his shell, especially when Derick, his friends, and their sons were around. "Well then, that just about settles it. I'd love to bring the motor home over and let you meet Crow and Ziggy," she said to Ronan, then turned to Kennedy, "If that's alright with you." Her new daughter-in-law hadn't made her opinions known, and Halle wanted to make sure their relationship got off on the right foot.

Signy and Elandren froze when Eva put the spotlight on them. Normally, the simple act of being quiet and unobtrusive was almost as good as a personal cloaking device. "You...don't have to...do anything special..." Signy sputtered, while Elandren cast wary glances at the boys and Jupiter, alert for signs of jealousy or anger.

Ronan smiled slightly as the woman spoke to him. "I'd like that," he said softly. The boy looked pleadingly to Kennedy as the question was brought to her.

"It's perfectly fine with me," she said. "I like dogs. And it'll be nice to have you nearby." She glanced to Eva. "You two have been too far apart for too long. And besides, I think we ought to start getting to know one another." Kennedy smiled at her mother in law and then turned to look toward the girls, both of whom looked embarrassed and somewhat hesitant. "Yes, we do," she said. "Everyone else got to have a special meal when they got here. It's your turn."

"Just pick something," Hugo whined, flopping over to the side so that he was sprawled across Eva's lap. "I'm going to whither away into nothing."

Jupiter snorted. "Rest in peace," they said, striding toward the basement door and starting down the steps. "I will be taking all of your wigs and cutting your drag apart for scraps."

"Your entire drag wardrobe is scraps, you don't need anything of mine," Hugo said, sitting up and playfully glaring at his sibling.

• Love
Reactions: Zarko Straadi
"...Oh," Signy said thoughtfully. The girls turned to each other. "What should we ask for?!"

"Not food-with-names like
Chadbury's," Elandren said. 'Special meals' had been one way the woman had tried to drive a wedge between the twins. Signy would be given exquisitely prepared meals that always seemed to have last names, like 'Chicken cordon bleu with hericots verts almondine,' while Elandren received something ordinary, like a microwaved cheeseburger, pepperoni pizza, or even oatmeal. On the other hand, the gourmet portions tended to be rather small, more art than meal. "Something..." Elandren searched for a word in their language that fit. "Something much food. So the Rogue will be happy."

"We will be happy,"
Signy said; Elandren was sure to be as hungry as she was, so whatever it would take to keep poor Hugo from wasting away was sure to do the same for them. Then her caution returned. "Should we ask for much? Maybe make them angry?"

Halle smiled back at Kennedy. As disorienting as the whole 'Eric-suddenly-a-woman' situation was, it gladdened her heart that he-now-she had found had found someone who loved her, and as an added bonus, someone who didn't hate her mother-in-law. Watching Hugo and Jupiter's playful banter, she caught the feeling that this was a happy place, a safe place.

"You're all drag performers then?" she said, then it hit her. She didn't just find a home. She made a haven for others, so they don't have to go through what she did... That's my girl!

The two girls were standing close together, talking softly in a language Halle hadn't heard before. Their expressions and tones were serious, intense. While she couldn't understand the words, she was pretty sure she got the general idea: what could they ask for that would qualify as a 'special meal' but wouldn't bring wrath down upon them?

"Could we have...barbecue? With steaks?" Signy asked nervously. "If you like steaks," she said to Hugo. For all she knew, he was a vegetarian.

"And vegetables?" Elandren added. "I don't know what kind of vegetables you have...but whatever you have will be fine."

Jupiter nodded as Halle spoke. "Yeah!" they chirped. They looked back to Kennedy and Eva and then added, "I stumbled into a basement dressing room one day and now I live in their house, eat stuff out of their fridge..." They shrugged.
"We have a show on Saturday!" Ronan added, his face lighting up. "Eva and Kennedy host them every week. You should come and watch!"

Hugo looked up from where he sat. "Are we still going to see Cherie perform tomorrow?" he asked softly, looking back to Eva. He was silent for a moment. "She'd probably like to meet your mom."

"I was planning to," Eva said. "I haven't watched her perform in a while." The pair had learned their drag skills together under the same mentor, but as they had both aged and gone about their lives, they didn't always get to go to one another's shows. Eva had her family, and Cherie had her wife and a young daughter, along with playing in a fairly successful band as her primary job. They still talked often, and saw one another frequently, but really only got to watch each other perform when they were booked together. Eva supposed that her mother probably should meet her surrogate sibling.

The girls spoke amongst themselves for a minute or two, and then Signy timidly asked for barbecue, looking over to Hugo to confirm that he liked the idea.

"He likes steak," Ronan told her. "He likes pretty much anything, as long as he can eat enough of it to sustain a small army."

"Steak and vegetables seems doable," Eva said, standing and striding towards the kitchen. Kennedy got up to follow her.

"I'd love to come watch your show, and your friend's also! I can't say I've ever been to a drag show before. Is it formal?" Halle asked, following Eva and Kennedy into the kitchen. It was spacious and well-appointed, better than any she'd ever had. They must be a major presence in the drag show business if that's how they make their money. My daughter's a star! she thought proudly. "I'm here to help," she added, rubbing her hands together. "Your wish is my command."

Signy and Elandren shared a look. Did 'seems doable' mean they'd chosen well, or was Eva subtly stoking resentment at them for their imposition? The girls followed Halle at a distance, stopping in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Is there anything you'd like us to do?" Elandren asked softly.

"Cherie will be glad to meet you. You probably should meet each other, considering she's been my drag sister since I started. The show isn't formal," Eva said to her. "You can wear whatever you want." She opened the refrigerator and pulled the steaks out before setting them on the counter, while Kennedy gathered the vegetables. "There should be some vegetable oil and some seasonings in the cabinet above the sink," she told her mother. "Can you grab those?"

Signy and Elandren had followed them into the kitchen. "You two can set the table if you'd like," Kennedy said, tousling Elandren's hair as she passed. "The silverware is in the drawer next to the refrigerator and the dishes and glasses are above the stove."

Hugo slinked past her to snag a carrot from the pile of vegetables and then disappeared from the kitchen once more. Kennedy was about to say something to her, but she decided not to. She heard the familiar ding of the Xbox starting up, and figured he had gone off to distract himself until dinner. She heard Ronan and Jupiter head off down the basement stairs again. She shrugged, and the group set to work on cooking dinner.

"Sure," Halle said, going to the cabinet for the needed supplies. "I'll be happy to meet her. So a 'drag sister,' is that something like an adoptive trans sister, or is that more like a term for a fellow drag performer?"

Elandren flinched when Kennedy's hand came toward her, but she stood her ground. When she received a gentle touch and a smile instead of a smack, she stood there stunned for a second. By the time she could offer a fleeting smile in return, Kennedy had gone back to her business. Signy took her hand and gave it a squeeze, and they shared a look of delight before putting themselves to the task of setting the table with firm resolve.

"Ma'am...she wouldn't be keeping any of this from me," Signy said. "I would. I don't want it without her. She's not dragging me down, she's holding me up. Please...just give her a chance...and let us share."

"You can't live your entire life in this...odd little co-dependent relationship," Mrs. Chadbury said. "That settles it, I'm going to have the legal details settled first thing in the morning and have her on her way. It's time you started to grow up and leave childish things behind."

"
NO! Please!" the girls begged simultaneously. "We'll do anything!"

"That is
enough, Karen! The more you make a fool of yourself like this, the more you convince me that it's necessary. It's for your own good."

"I'm sorry ma'am, but if you get rid of her, you have to get rid of me too."

"'Have to?'" Mrs. Chadbury snapped. "Just how do you intend to make--"

"I'm very sorry," Signy said, this time to one of the exquisite porcelain dolls Mrs. Chadbury had given her. She held it up, looking mournfully into its glass eyes, then took it by the legs and smashed its head into the wall. She dropped its corpse, and started to reach for the next one.

"You little guttersnipe! You disgusting little piece of human garbage! I would have
made something of you!"

Signy carefully loaded Elandren up with a stack of plates and salad plates, then picked up her own stack. In procession, the girls headed toward the dining room carrying the dishes as if they were priceless Ming Dynasty pottery.

• Love
"'Drag sister' just means we had the same drag mother, which is sort of like a mentor in performing and makeup and such," she explained. "Our drag mother's name is Sal and he does really androgynous drag. Or, he did, at least. He doesn't perform a whole lot anymore. He used to run a little performance venue but it closed a few years ago. It wasn't making enough money to stay open, but it was a nice place while we had it."

She put the steaks into the oven to allow them to slow roast for a bit and then knelt down to rummage through a cabinet in search of the cast iron skillet. Finding it, she stood up again and continued speaking.

"Cherie isn't trans, like me," she said. "Most drag queens aren't. We mostly just call her by her drag name because that's how we first met her. Outside of drag she's a six foot three punk who kind of looks like he could break your face."

"She looks like she could kill you in drag too," Hugo called from the other room before returning to his game. Eva laughed and looked back to her mother.

"Anyway," she continued. "One of her drag kids is trans, but she's not."

Halle smiled at Eva and Hugo's description of Cherie. "So, if she's in drag, it's 'she,' but when not in drag, it's 'he?'" she asked. It felt a bit like going to visit a foreign country, and the last thing she wanted to be was a blundering 'Ugly American.'

Elandren and Signy set their plates down carefully, and started arranging them around the table with fastidious precision. "Signy!" Elandren hissed in a whisper. Her sister had her attention captured by the sounds of Hugo's video game, and started wandering in his direction still bearing a couple plates.

"Huh?" Signy said. "Oh," she muttered, quickly returning to their task. With the plates and salad plates placed, they returned for glasses and silverware.

"Where do the little forks go?" Elandren asked. Signy thought back to the dinner etiquette lessons she'd received during their brief stay at Mrs. Chadbury's.

"It goes to the left of the regular fork," Signy whispered. "The little spoon goes next to the knife on the right, with the bigger spoon to the right of it." She arranged a setting so Elandren could see, then set about helping her sister finish the rest. The two went around the table inspecting their handiwork, making a few minor adjustments so everything would be perfect. Finally finished, they returned to the doorway of the kitchen, careful to stay out of the way.

"Is there anything else you'd like us to do?" Signy asked.

---

"Anonymous, you're on Laura Ingraham. Why don't you start out by explaining why you can't give your name?" Oh my God, I'm on! Hank thought, feeling a wave of nervousness rush over him.

"Because...because what I'm about to tell you, I'd lose my job if people found out it was me. But I can't stay silent... See, I'm a case worker with Child Protective Services...and today I had to bring two little girls, twelve year-old twins, to live in a foster home...that's run by a pair of transsexuals with three queer teenage boys living with them, I don't even know how they got them. But they all make their living doing these filthy burlesque drag-queen shows, and I shudder to think what's going to happen to those little girls living in an environment like that!"

"Unbelievable," Laura said. "That's just...I don't even have words. Can you tell us where this is happening? We've been saying all along that treating depravity as a 'lifestyle choice' was going to lead to the destruction of the family and children being placed at the mercy of perverts. But it's just unbelievable how far things have gone!"

"Well...one of them calls himself 'Miss Eva Evanescence,' and the other calls himself 'Kennedy Piane.' They're on social media, so..."

"She doesn't mind," Kennedy said. "We mostly call her 'she' all the time, because we first met her in drag and it's how we know her best. She calls Hugo, Ronan, and Jupiter 'she' too. The only one who really gets called 'he' is her drag son, and Tommy's a girl outside of drag." She looked up as the girls shuffled back into the doorway and shook her head. "No, doll," she said. "You don't have to do anything else. Dinner will be done soon. But thank you."

Soon enough the meal was finished, and Eva walked around the table, depositing a steak on each plate and setting the bowls of vegetables in the middle of the table. "Come and eat!" she called over her shoulder. Hugo had practically jumped over the back of the couch and was at the table before the first word was even out of Eva's mouth. Ronan and Jupiter appeared at the top of the stairs.

Once everyone was situated at the table with their food and preferred drinks Eva lifted her glass. "A toast," she said. "To family. The new members and the old." She smiled as the glasses clinked together and burst out in a fit of laughter as Hugo shoved his glass forward so enthusiastically that it nearly broke as it clinked against the others.

"You're welcome," the girls said simultaneously. With nothing else in need of doing, they went to watch Hugo play his game, careful not to interrupt or invade his personal space. When Eva called everyone to dinner, they quietly followed Hugo to the table. Signy led Elandren around to the other side, so they could take places side by side across from him. Signy gave Hugo a nervous smile, hoping he wouldn't feel insulted or that they were trying to avoid him. She'd guessed that he'd prefer sitting next to people who weren't newcomers.

The food looked and smelled absolutely mouthwatering, but the girls held back, waiting for clear permission to eat. Then Eva raised her glass and proposed a toast. "To family," Halle echoed, raising her glass to ring against the others.

"To family," Signy and Elandren said softly, extending their glasses forward. Hugo's energetic clink knocked Signy's glass from her hand. It fell to the table with a heavy thud, then tipped over, spilling its contents. Signy gave a strangled yelp, then looked to the Ladies with wide eyes. "I'm so sorry!"

Jupiter and Ronan clinked their glasses against the others, and they too snickered at Hugo's enthusiasm.

Hugo let out a small, surprised squeak as the force of his own glass knocked Signy's cup out of her hand. He stood up quickly, sitting back down as Kennedy nudged him away and back into his seat. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to."

"It's all right," Kennedy said as she moved to pick up Signy's glass before heading over to the fridge to refill it. "Could be worse. It could have shattered all over the place." Eva stood to move the dishes aside, and Kennedy returned with a rag and a new glass for Signy.

She wiped up the puddle on the table and then tossed the rag into the sink before sitting down again. Hugo immediately dug into his food, and Ronan could tell he was eating much slower than usual in an attempt to be polite.

Signy and Elandren watched carefully for any hint of anger or resentment from Kennedy, and to their surprise and relief, could find none. "Thank you ma'am," Signy said softly when Kennedy gave her the refilled glass. "I'll be more careful next time, I promise."

Then, everyone started eating. The girls dug in, but like Hugo, they had to hold back by an effort of will in order to eat at a polite pace. The food tasted every bit as good as it looked and smelled, so they were careful to relish each bite. They were accustomed to people preferring they be seen and not heard, so they remained silent, observing the dynamic around the dinner table.

With her free hand, Elandren fidgeted a little with her soup spoon, which had proven unnecessary in the absence of soup. She felt out its weight, balance, and shape, then set it down and cut a few more bites of steak. Some time later, while dipping a piece of steak in barbecue sauce with one hand, she absently passed her other over the soup spoon, making it disappear. Most stage magicians used lots of showmanship and flourishing gestures to draw attention to their tricks. Elandren's technique was to do the exact opposite, and make it seem as if the magic happened without any involvement on her part, so that anyone who noticed would be left thinking, 'Wait, did I just see that?'

Last edited:
Kennedy returned to her chair and everyone began to eat. The table was mostly quiet, and Kennedy supposed that with all that had happened that day, everyone was feeling more than a bit overwhelmed, especially the girls. She watched Eva slowly dragging a bit of steak through the sauces on her plate, and then look up to the others at the table.

"How is it?" Eva asked. She chuckled softly as she looked over at Hugo, who had now stopped straining to be polite and was instead scarfing his food down at the usual speed. The boy stopped eating for a moment, and glanced up from his food to focus his gaze on Elandren.

Ronan, who had also been watching the girl, furrowed his brow as he watched the spoon, seemingly, disappear. "How did you do that?" he asked curiously.

Elandren gave a look of surprise. Signy, who had been surreptitiously watching the others for signs of displeasure directed their way, turned quizzical until, with a glance at Elandren, understanding dawned. There was a twinkle in her eye, but also a hint of trepidation. "She's a Druid," Signy said. "Magic just happens around her sometimes." Her voice was barely above a whisper, but held a touch of excitement and eagerness. "Oh, and the food is absolutely delicious, ma'am," she added enthusiastically.

Halle hadn't been watching the girls very closely. Instead, her eyes kept wandering back to Eric-now-Eva, striving to fully drink in the reality of her "new" daughter. It was still a little disorienting to see familiar and beloved mannerisms of her teenage son being exhibited by a mature, beautiful woman. Some of them had grown and changed: things she had once mistook for adolescent awkwardness in a boy, now flowed with confident, feminine elegance come into full flower.

Eva's family was a fractal affront to the conservative values Halle had been raised with, which she'd tried to uproot over the years. But like weeds, that was easier said than done. Every now and then, she had to remind some subconscious bit of attitude implanted by her parents that it wasn't in charge anymore. Love and warmth flowed here as palpable as a crystal blue Caribbean sea, salting those old roots and demanding that they wither and die for good. Little affections between Eva and Kennedy evinced a close, comfortable relationship. The three teenagers clearly felt safe and loved, free to be themselves without fear. And weren't those the things that "traditional family values" were really supposed to be all about?

When she did turn her attention to the young girls and saw Eva and her family through their eyes, it all became even more clear. They were like a pair of Dickensian urchins peering through a frosted window at a sumptuous Christmas family feast--except that they were inside, not quite able to believe that they, too, were welcome. They weren't just seeing family as it was meant to be; they were immersed in a miracle.

"How is it?" Eva asked.

"It couldn't be better. It really couldn't," Halle said. "I am so...so happy for you." She felt a moment's pity for Derick. He could never share the joy she was feeling, never be a part of this family or his daughter's life, thanks to a prison of rules made up by people who died thousands of years before he was born. He might see himself as the warden of that prison, with Eva and Halle as fugitives from his justice, but in truth he was the prisoner, locked in a solitary confinement of his own making.

Ronan's query, and the direction of his gaze brought her attention back to the girls. A magic trick? she wondered. She could tell there was some kind of shared understanding between the girls that carried an air of whimsy or perhaps mischief. Whatever it was, the game seemed harmless enough.

Suddenly, the front door burst open, and heavy booted footsteps came their way at a run. A tall, fearsome-looking young man swept in from the foyer. He wore a black shirt emblazoned with a red circled 'A' and a pleated kilt of spike-studded leather under a black leather duster bedecked with an abundance of straps and chains, finished off with a pair of black combat boots. His face, which could have been quite menacing, was filled with alarm rather than malice. "Omigoddess you guys!" Switch said. "You're gonna be on--"

In addition to the people who were used to his style of grand entrance were three others watching him with wide, frightened eyes. A spoon flung from one of the girls as she spun to face him (strange, since it hadn't been in her hand) and skittered across the floor. It might as well have been a knife stabbing him in the heart, because the girls weren't just startled by his appearance, they were terrified. "Whoa, sorry," he said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"I'm Switch in this mode--they might have mentioned me to you as Cherie? I'd never hurt any of you, I swear!" Oi, bang-up job of meeting the girls, Cher! The third new face belonged to a middle-aged woman he'd never seen before. Her expression went from startled to intense, almost fierce in an instant, an arm instinctively reaching for Eva as she tensed for action. Like a mama bear ready to fight for her cub. But Eva's mother was dead...wasn't she? "Sorry. I'm a friend, crazy as that sounds." Then he turned to Eva and Kennedy, worry suffusing his features. "You're gonna be on Hannity!"

Realizing he surely wasn't making any sense, Switch struggled to calm himself. "I was watching the Crotch Couch--sorry, Fox and Friends--you know, yell at the TV, blow off steam--filthy habit, I know," he explained for Halle and the girls' benefit, "--and there was this promo for Hannity's show. Laura Ingraham is gonna be on, to talk about you...and the girls...about you adopting them."

Eva's gaze shot up as Cherie burst through the door. She was quite used to her friend not knocking, but she normally didn't bust the door down. She stood up, stopping as her mother's arm shot out to sheild her. "It's okay," she said softly, gently pushing her mother's arm aside and taking a step toward her friend. She let Cherie finish introducing herself before turning to look back at the girls. They still stared, terrified, at the stranger in the foyer.

"I told you she doesn't knock," Eva said simply. "Anyway, this is Cherie. Or Switch, it doesn't matter. Cherie, this is Signy and Elandren, and my mother, Halle. Long story short, she's not dead, my dad is just trash."

Switch nodded in response and gave the girls and Eva's mother a small, reassuring smile. "It's nice to meet all of you," he said. He fiddled with his jacket for a moment, wondering if taking it off might make him look slightly less threatening. He slipped the coat off and looked back toward his friends. His eyes–which were neon green today, thanks to his contacts–were round with concern.

"You guys are gonna be on Hannity!" he blurted. This only got him confused looks from everyone else. He sighed, exasperated, and then continued.

"I was watching the Crotch Couch--sorry, Fox and Friends--you know, yell at the TV, blow off steam--filthy habit, I know," he explained for Halle and the girls' benefit, "--and there was this promo for Hannity's show. Laura Ingraham is gonna be on, to talk about you...and the girls...about you adopting them."

Kennedy was the first to speak in response to this. "How?" she asked. "We've had the girls less than a day, and it's not like we've gone anywhere! Nobody knows but us."

Switch could only shrug in response, and the group was silent until Jupiter spoke up. "The social worker!" they blurted suddenly. "He couldn't stand us, and he's practically the only other person we've seen all day!" They paused. "...Maybe it'll just blow over and no one will notice?" they suggested hesitantly.

The girls' faces still held fear, but no longer of Cherie. They'd lived in homes where Hannity's show was watched religiously. "'I can't believe they let these people adopt children.' That's what he said, the man who brought us here," Signy said. "They're going to want to take us away."

Elandren could already see it in her mind's eye: a mob with torches and pitchforks--no, probably guns--like at the end of a Frankenstein movie, marching on the house. The same force that had killed witches at Salem and hung black people from trees was turning its baleful eye on their new home and family. "If they see this place...see the magic here...they'll come with hate and fire, to destroy what's not like them," she said grimly.

"What do we do? If they take us away from here, they will separate us!" Signy said.

"It's not just us now. They will come for all of us. Maybe if we run away they will leave this place alone."

Halle couldn't understand the girls' secret language, but she had a pretty good idea what sort of things she might be saying in it in their place.

"Don't worry, they can't take you away from here. We'll have plenty of supporters," she said, then turned to Eva. "This city must be pretty progressive, if you can make a good living doing drag shows here, right?"