Beyond the Fence

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah, I'd say about three months, we've been here. Now, if you kids would excuse me, I need to talk to Max here." A dark skinned man said, smiling as he took the blond aside.

"Alright, Jake. You three stay here. June will be happy to answer any questions you have." Max gave the two a smile before moving to a different room with the rest of the group. June walked over to the two teenagers and smiled, sitting down and eating with them. Phoebe kept quiet before looking over to June and letting her mind open to read the woman's thoughts. She closed her eyes, letting herself concentrate on the woman and only the woman.

Noah looked around curiously. "So...." he said. "Do you like it here..June?" he asked as he finished the little bit of soup he had left. He felt a little awkward in the silence.

June smiled. "Of course, I love it here." June looked over to where the others had gone. "This is where my family is, as weird as it sounds."

"How have you stayed in a group and not broken apart?" Phoebe finally asked, done looking through the woman's thoughts. "You care for them, I can tell that, but how have you not broken apart or how has anyone not died?"

June was quiet for a second. "Well, we put the group in front of our own needs. The needs of the group outweigh anyone's personal needs unless sick or injured. Then that affects the group more than most could think."

Noah nodded. "That makes sense." He said, watching Pheobe carefully a moment. He wondered what she was thinking about. "Anything about the group we should know that we don't already?" He asked June, watching Pheobe for a moment longer before looking at June. He hoped Pheobe at least trusted him.

"Nope. I think you know everything you need for now." June smiled. When her eyes connected with Phoebe's, she froze for a moment. The world melted into a scene of a dead group. Not June's but Phoebe's. A young girl was left, the only one alive in the wreckage. The group had killed itself, fighting within itself until it ended up catching the attention of the Protectors. June broke out of the vision quickly, shaking her head. "Honey, you don't need to use your abilities on me." Phoebe quickly looked away from the woman, covering her mouth. She was sweating, even the short vision taking its toll on the girl. She tried to keep herself from throwing up.

Noah jumped as everything happened. "Uhh..." he looked at June, then back at Pheobe. "Are you okay?" he asked Pheobe, putting a gently, cautious, worried hand on her shoulder. He didn't look at June, now upset at the seemingly nice woman for hurting Pheobe. "There was no need for that." He said to June, watching Pheobe, worried.

"I'm fine... It wasn't her fault... I just..." Phoebe moved and leaned against Noah. "Remember the incident with the Protector? It's sort of like that except this woman actually got out of the vision." The brunette stopped talking and focused on trying to keep her food down.

"I'm sure you're friend is fine." June said with a small smile. "If you'd like, there's an empty bedroom you two can use for now. You could get some rest since it seems you two have had a very tiring day."

Noah hugged Pheobe tightly, but not enough to really squeeze her. "Do you want to lay down?" He asked Pheobe softly, smiling weakly at June in apology. He was still confused by all of this, but as long as they were safe and Pheobe was okay, he was happy.

Phoebe nodded curling into the hug. "I'll get the room set up then. Just wait here for a little bit, I'll be right back." June quickly walked off, leaving the two. Max walked out of the room and over to the two. Phoebe closed her eyes, not wanting to have anything to do with the blond. He sighed before sitting in front of them.

"Look, I really need you to tell me who you are. I can't help you if you don't trust me." He watched the girl, only for her to turn her head into Noah's shoulder.

Noah held her close to him and rubbed her back softly. "Can it wait until she's had some rest?" Noah asked Max softly, biting his lip. He didn't want to start a fight. He kept his arms wrapped around Pheobe, hoping June wouldn't take too long, but at the same time...he liked sitting here like this...just holding her.

"You can go rest as soon as I at least get her name." Max said, glancing at the girl, wondering just what was making her feel unwell. If it was the stew then maybe he would have to check if she was allergic to something. The blond ran a hand through his hair, watching the two.

"Phoebe. My name's Phoebe. You want a last name, you aren't going to get one. Now can you please go away." The brunette gagged a bit, feeling bile start to rise up her throat. She closed her eyes, trying to keep the sick down.

Noah didn't let go of her, rubbing her back softly. He wondered it June had the room ready yet. He looked at Max momentarily, before returning his watchful eye to Pheobe, worried. He sighed softly. "Don't push yourself." he said quietly to her, not wanting her to make herself any worse. He hoped he was helping and not just making her mad at him. "You have her name, can she rest now?"

"Of course. If you go up the stairs and to your right you should find a room at the end of the hall for you." Max gave Phoebe a sympathetic look before moving away. The brunette took a deep breath before slowly getting up. She leaned against the wall trying to get some form of balance.

"Stupid abilities making me feel like shit... It doesn't hurt to read people's thoughts but make them see things then suddenly it's like trying to summon the devil!" Phoebe held onto her stomach as she slowly made her way toward the stairs. "Is this anything like the Topi homes?" The brunette asked Noah. "I never got to see them up close, so I'm curious if this would be counted as a home."

Noah slipped a gently arm around her shoulder. "Let me help...please?" He said quietly. "It's...sort of like my home. It's like an older version. The houses now are made of marble and everything. This is more like the cottages that are mentioned wayyyy back in the history books." He said, keeping his voice quiet. "I can carry you." He said even quieter. He didn't want to offend her, but he also wanted to let her know he was willing to help her in any way possible.

Phoebe shook her head at his offer to carry her. "I'm fine... Just... Let me lean on you a little, alright?" She used him to keep her balance as she walked up the stairs, stopping halfway to resist the urge to gag. "Marble, huh? Isn't that stuff they use for grave stones? Why would you make a house out of that? And is it true that you guys go to the bathroom inside?" Phoebe seemed incredibly curious about the Topi people she would listen to at night.

"They make gravestones out of stone now, it lasts longer than marble and doesn't need to be cleaned as much." His arm moved from her shoulders to a little above her waist so she could lean on him. "And yeah, we have indoor plumbing so that we can go to the bathroom inside." He nodded as he spoke. He waited until she was ready before continuing down the stairs.

"Weird..." Phoebe walked the rest of the way to the second floor. Down the right and into the room, the girl found June finishing up dusting off the place. Phoebe didn't say anything, but simply curled up on the nearest bed. June stayed quiet, waiting a little bit to make sure Phoebe was alright. She pulled a small bucket out of the closet and set it by Phoebe for her to throw up in.

Noah sat on the foot of the bed Pheobe curled up in. He wasn't going to leave her side until she felt better. "Thank you June." He smiled softly. He put a gently and on Pheobe's back and leaned against the wall behind him.

"You're welcome, hun. If you need anything, I'm just down the hall." June smiled and ruffled Noah's hair before squeezing Phoebe's shoulder and leaving. Phoebe took advantage of the bucket, quickly vomiting into it.

"This is getting boring fast..." Phoebe said before vomiting again. "I really need to learn how to do things without making myself sick." She laid back on the bed, taking deep breaths.

"Practice, but takes things slowly." Noah suggested quietly, not looking at the bucket. He knew that if he saw it, he might pass out. It happened once when he was little. Someone got sick at school and he passed out. He woke up the next morning at home like nothing happened, however, out here, with her like this, he didn't want to take the chance. He rubbed her back softly. "You'll get it."

Status
Not open for further replies.