Beyond the Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I didn't think you would come with me if I asked." The man shrugged. He brought over a couple of bowls. "Here. This will help you feel better." Phoebe sat up, though she wanted to curl up quite like how Noah was. "Don't worry, you're safe. If you have any pains, I managed to pilfer some pills to help with aches and pains." Phoebe stayed quiet, trying to keep her head from pounding.

Noah still didn't uncurl himself. He rubbed the sides of his head gently, groaning softly. "I feel...like I've been hit..by a rock." he muttered quietly. He felt his heart throb in his head. The bowl of whatever smelled enticing, but not quite enough to get him to sit up.

"We were hit by a rock." Phoebe said, sighing before trying some of the stew. She didn't taste anything off so she helped Noah up enough so he could take a sip. "Come on... Just take a bite..." She grabbed a spoon and held it to Noah's lips, waiting for him to take a bite of the warm stew.

"Here, I'll get you two some pain medication..." The man left the two for a different room. Phoebe didn't pay him any mind, trying to help Noah.

"Oh..." Noah sighed as Pheobe helped him up. He opened his eyes, squinting against the firelight, but taking a tentative bite of the stew. It was nice and warm. He swallowed, shivering faintly as he felt it go down, warming him. "Thanks.." he said softly, quietly to Pheobe. He looked away from her, wondering why all of a sudden he felt like his heart was beating a little faster. He ignored it, taking another bite of the soup.

"No problem." Phoebe said, moving to eat the rest of her own food. "Sorry, by the way. I should have seen it coming... or at least heard it." She leaned against the wall behind them, taking a deep breath. The man came back with four pills and handed them to the two teenagers, two per person. Phoebe studied the pill, trying to make sure it was what the man actually said before giving in and taking them.

"It's not your fault, don't worry about it." He said to Pheobe gently. Noah held the warm soup in his hands. He hesitated when he saw the pills. He'd never really taken medicine before, but he decided it was worth the risk. He accepted the pills, taking them and then continuing with the bowl of stew, wishing the pain would leave faster.

After a few minutes the pain started to dull with no other side effects. "It seems you didn't lie about the pills. About the group though..." Phoebe closed her eyes, focusing on probing the man's mind for thoughts.

'Why can't they come quicker! Max is probably slowing them down with his constant need to check the surroundings... I could really use help with these two.' The man's thoughts continued in a stream of consciousness until Phoebe shut it off.

"Max? Like, Maxie 'Save the People' Max?" The brunette asked, a bit surprised.

Noah relaxed as the pain seemed to go away. He finished his stew and sat it down, sitting back against the wall and scooting over slightly so he could slightly hide behind Pheobe. "Who?" he asked, looking between them, confused. Who's Maxie? Is it a boy or a girl? Is he or she dangerous? where some of the questions that slipped through Noah's thoughts.

"The one and only!" The man said, smiling. "He took most of us in after we pissed off a Protector or something else of that sort. By the way, I'm Arin. Who are you two?" Arin sat down and leaned back in his chair.

"None of your business. We need to get going... I need to take him back home." Phoebe nodded toward Noah, moving a little to hopefully get her point across. She didn't want to stay and meet Max.

Noah looked at Pheobe, then Arin. He was getting more and more confused. "I don't want to go home though." he said, looking at Pheobe with a 'I'm not giving up' expression.

"It's the best thing for you, so you're going home." Phoebe sighed, ready to leave when the door opened, revealing four people. One man in particular was a blond. "Oh goody, the rest of them are here..." She sighed.

"I see you brought guests, Arin... What are your names, younglings?" A large woman asked, smiling at the two. Arin moved to talk with the blond man.

Noah frowned. "I'm not going anywhere." He said, crossing his arms, then hugging his knees. "I'm staying with you."
His mind was made up, and it would take a lot to change it. "I'm Noah." He smiled faintly at them.

"It's nice to meet you Noah! I'm June. I'm the one who keeps all these idiots in line." She winked at Noah, trying to keep him calm even with her red eyes. "Now how about you, little girl?" Phoebe kept quiet, not wanting to tell the people her name. "A bit shy, huh? Well, your friend trusts us. Maybe you should too?" June rubbed Phoebe's head. The brunette quickly threw off the blonde's hand, a panicked look in her eyes. "Alright, alright, you don't want people touching you..." June sighed before turning to Noah. "So, how did you two end up in our little shack?"

"Arin hit us with a rock." He said, shrugging. He looked at Pheobe, wondering why she seemed so.. Tense. "And we woke up here." He looked up at June. "You won't hurt us, right?"

"Arin hit you with rocks? Arin! I thought you promised not to throw rocks at people anymore! It's not like these two were threats!" June yelled, glaring at the man. She turned back to the two, smiling sweetly. "Of course I won't hurt you! You're just kids! Why would we try to hurt you?" The woman seemed horrified at the idea, though she had seen it happen before. Phoebe just glared, not trusting any of them in the least. She had been in groups one to many times. It never ended well. Never.

Noah shrugged. "Because so far everyone we've met has tried to?" He said, looking around the group. He looked again at Pheobe, then back at the fire. It felt nice here. "How long have you all been a group?" he asked curiously. Maybe he should get to know them before he spouted off about himself too much.

"We've been a group for about a year now. Looks like you have some stew. You better finish it before it gets cold." June smiled, trying to relax the two teens. She moved aside when the blond walked over to them.

"Hello. My name's Max." The man smiled, holding a hand out. "Arin tells me that you, young man, are from a Utopia. How did you end up out here with this young lady?" He sounded nice, his voice gentle and deep. He had small wrinkles showing he often laughed and smiled a lot. He didn't seem too old, maybe in his late twenties. Phoebe kept quiet, keeping her guard up.

Noah nodded and shook the man's hand. "Nice to meet you Max." He said, pausing a moment as he debated explaining the situation. "She got hurt..so I wanted to help her and ended out here." he shrugged. "It's been quite the adventure." He smiled at Max. "A year huh? You're like a little family." He smiled at them. He took a bite of his stew, glad it wasn't cold yet.

"Yeah, I guess you could call us that." Max smiled, glancing back at the group who were getting stew for themselves. "Though, how did you get hurt, young lady? Did a Protector try and hurt you?" He looked into Phoebe's eyes, concern evident in his own red.

"I'm not going to tell you anything." Phoebe snarled before eating her stew, keeping herself occupied.

Max sighed, running a hand through his shaggy hair. "We just want to help you..."

Noah sighed softly. He would let Pheobe tell, and if she didn't want to, he wouldn't. "How long have you been here?" He asked, taking another bite of his stew. He felt much better now, and was more curious about the group now, however, he was afraid Pheobe would either leave him here alone, drag him off to go home, or convince the others to take him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.