Beyond the Fence

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Max smiled at Noah's answers. Good, he at least was compassionate enough for the people out here. However, he did need to know the consequences of his decisions. "Do you know what will happen once the Protectors find out your gone? Do you know what will happen when they find you?" He glanced over at Phoebe, a bit of concern in his mind.

Noah smirked faintly. "If they find me? I thought they were terrified of everyone out here? At least the one at the gate seemed to be. Why would they come out here to find me? Even if they did, I could persuade them that I captured Pheobe or something, or be honest that I willingly came out here." He shrugged. Sleep did him some good, his mind in working order as he began his coverup on his disappearance and, secretly in his mind, began planning how to break the gate down. If he could do that, or convince the Protectors some people out here were good...maybe...just maybe....everything could be right.

"They won't believe you." Max said. "I've seen a situation like this happen before, Noah... If they find you, they will take you back to the Utopias. They'll kill Phoebe as soon as they find you." The man was completely and utterly serious as he said this. His eyes bored into Noah's. "You can't just convince them that you went willingly. Do you know how many of us outsiders have powers that manipulate a person's thoughts? They don't know what Phoebe can do, but they will kill her on sight if they see her with you." Phoebe closed her eyes, focusing on Noah's thoughts to see what he thought of this all.

Noah felt a slight prick of anger. "They will not! I won't let them." He said back, glaring at Max. "They won't hurt anyone. I don't care what they say or what experience you have with them, it can't go on like this forever." He said. He couldn't leave them out here and return to the Utopia. These were his friends now... people who actually listened to his ideas instead of laughing them off and telling him he was a daydreamer. He wasn't going to leave them out here! Especially Pheobe...he sighed softly, rubbing the side of his head, his brain struggling to try and figure out how to work this out. Maybe he could just hide from the Protectors...stay with Pheobe and Max and them. He'd seen enough of them on patrol, he sort of knew how they searched an area. Maybe he could protect everyone. He looked at Max sternly, determined. "I'm not going back...I can't go back!" he said in defiance. He wanted to help them...he really did. He didn't want to go back if that meant that he left them here. He wouldn't ever be able to live with himself.

Max gave a small smile as the boy's determination. "While I commend your determination, there is the fact that many, if not all of the Protectors see people like Phoebe and myself as nothing but threats. I promise you won't go back if I can help it." He leaned back in his chair. "Thank you for answering my questions. If you could please leave, June has a job for you." He glanced over at Phoebe who looked a bit surprised, well more than just surprise.

Noah was slightly surprised by, what seemed to him to be, Max suddenly being okay with his idea. He nodded, silently now as he stood, his eyes not really focused as he was more thinking than watching as he walked out. He wanted to do this, he had to! He needed to be able to protect everyone, especially Pheobe. "June?" He glanced around, wondering why his job was.

"Oh! Hi, Noah! Come on, you're going to help me take stock of our food!" June said, leading Noah to the storeroom. There wasn't too much, a few boxes of foods and some jars of water. "We'll have to go hunting and gathering again. We haven't been able to start a garden or anything of the sort." She took a worn clipboard off of a shelf and handed it to Noah. "It's really simple. All you need to do is write down how much of each food we have." She gave him a pencil before moving to start counting other items in the storage.

Noah nodded. It seemed fairly easy. "Gathering? That sounds interesting." He said as he counted, writing down each number as he finished the number of that type of cans.

"It's quite boring, honestly." June said before starting to ramble on. The time seemed to fly by until at least three hours later that Phoebe walked down to join them, looking a little more than just annoyed. "Oh, hi Phoebe! How was your chat with Max?" The woman asked, looking over at the pink eyed girl. Phoebe said nothing, waiting for June to tell her what her job was.

Noah looked up at her. "Hey-..." he trailed off when he noticed her expression. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly, standing and setting the notebook down. He ran his hand across his forehead, smearing a darker streak of dirt over it.

"I'm fine... annoyed, but fine." Phoebe sighed before using her sleeve to wipe a bit of the dirt off. "Are you okay?" She glanced over at June who had finished up her chores.

"Alright, looks like it's time for breakfast. Let's go!" June walked out of the store room toward the kitchen where the rest of the group was waiting.

Noah nodded and walked over. "Want a hug?" He asked with a small smile, his head slightly tilted. He wondered why she was annoyed. What had Max told her? But he decided now wasn't the time to ask. He might never know, but he was just curious. Though...that did get him in trouble...sometimes.

"um... Uh, sure... I guess a hug wouldn't hurt." She opened her arms for a hug, unsure of what else to do. Hugs were quite rare for her, especially since she pushed most people away.

"Hurry up, you two!" June called.

"We're coming!" Phoebe yelled back, rolling her eyes. She looked back to Noah. "We better hurry up or the others might get upset."

Noah hugged her tightly, then let go as June called. He cleared his throat. He nodded, smiling faintly at her before walking towards the others. He wondered why he just felt like hugging her. It was strange...he wasn't much of one for physical touching. He shook the thought from his head. It was just the fact he cared for her, right?

The kitchen was full of life as the group Noah and Phoebe had stumbled into started eating breakfast, each getting a share of some fruit they had and a strange looking meat.
"Oh, great! Just in time!" Max smiled before standing up. "Guys, this is Noah and Phoebe. Noah and Phoebe, these are the guys!" The group stared at the two before smiling and quickly greeting them before going back to their eating.

Rick quickly walked over to the two. "I saved you both some seats! Come on! Let's eat before it gets cold!" He led the two toward the far end of the table, chattering about how great this was and how they were going to have so much fun.

Noah looked over the table, wondering why everyone seemed to get along, when everyone else outside seemed to hate everyone. When they sat down, he took a small bite of the fruit. It tasted nice. He mostly just watched the others, instead of actually eating. He actually stayed very quiet himself.

Phoebe glanced over at Noah and noticed that he wasn't eating. "What's up? You not hungry?" She asked. She had already finished her fruit and was working on the rest of the meal. However, the boy not eating worried her.

Noah jumped slightly, looking at her. "Huh? Oh.. Sorry. I'm not too hungry." He shrugged, taking another bite of his fruit. He had to figure out how to give these people a better life... There had to be someway. He seemed slightly distracted now as he ate slower than usual. "History repeats itself." He muttered to himself before taking a bite of the meat. It tasted fairly good.

"What do you mean history repeats itself?" Phoebe asked, moving to get a better look at Noah. "And I know you want to, but sometimes its hard to help people. Besides, there are way too many people that you won't be able to help." She took a bite of the meat, tearing off a chunk with a satisfying rip.

Noah didn't think he'd said that aloud.. Then he remembered she could read his mind. "I can try to help... And history always seems to repeat itself. Someone is pushed away because someone else claims their wrong, problems arise, and there is fighting and meaningless deaths." He said, still keeping his voice quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.