Beyond the Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How did you know it was a fence?" Phoebe glanced back at him in curiosity. "Most people think it's some magical force field or something." She listened to his question before answering. "I usually do things like that... it lets me practice using my powers, and the thoughts are just so... funny. It's all about things that I don't think about... Like matches and what's for breakfast and things like that. I guess it's weird hearing the things that other people think."

He shrugged. "There's usually some science behind most things. Besides, if it was magic, why would it need to recharge?" She shrugged again. He sighed softly. "I guess most people don't have much of a life.. Anything worth being."

"And this is a life?" Phoebe asked. "I'm stealing from others for a little bit of extra food. This isn't a life... this isn't living. It's not dying." She sighed, rubbing her arm. "Don't you have someone back at home who loves you?" The brunette asked.

Noah thought about it a moment. "Mom and Dad.. But most others just go on with their own lives." He didn't looked up at her, instead watching his feet as they walked. "This may not be comfortable living... But I read in a book that people, long long ago, lived like this sometimes"

"Yeah, and people used to also help other people. Things have changed." Phoebe stopped when a branch was flung at the two. A man ran out in front of them, foaming at the mouth and raving. He wasn't wearing much, just a very torn pair of shorts. The brunette sighed before using the weapon and shooting the man. He spasmed when he fell down, dying quickly and loudly. "Sad when that happens."

Noah stumbled backwards as a branch flew out them. He fell on his butt, his eyes wide as Pheobe just shot the man. "What was up with him?!" Noah said, standing, unharmed. He glanced around, suddenly wary of his surroundings, wondering if someone else was planning an ambush.

The girl walked over to the fallen man, searching his pants for anything useful. "Suppressants. Before the Utopias, people thought they could suppress the powers that we have. It didn't work, really... Only made them even more powerful. Some people get addicted to them." She pulled out an empty bottle, the only thing on him. Phoebe scowled, throwing the bottle away.

Noah shuddered. "That's...terrible." It reminded him of something called steroids he'd read in an old book. He tensed, hearing a branch shift. He stepped closer to her. Did she hear that? He thought to himself, fully hoping she would know what he thought.

Phoebe looked over at the sound, Noah's thought resounding loud and clearly in her head. She quickly stood up and in front of Noah, keeping her weapon pointed toward the sound. "Who's there?" She called. Pink eyes ran through her surroundings. She kept her mind open for thoughts to come in, ready to try and outsmart the possible foe they could face. She kept close to the boy.

Noah peeked over her shoulder.
Another man walked out, this one seemingly more calm. "Didn't mean to startle ya...." His eyes widened as he saw Noah and the weapon. "Is that... A... Why is he here?" He glanced around, half expected Protectors to jump out.

"He followed me out. Now, who are you and what are you doing here?" Phoebe asked, keeping the weapon trained on the man. She knew not to immediately trust anyone. "If you're looking for Protectors there aren't any. Last one I saw is probably dead by now." She kept an eye out, looking for others and waiting for their thoughts, if she could get a leg up.

Well she's bossy... Must've kidnapped the boy. He thought to himself. "He looks like a handful, need some help?" He asked aloud.

Noah frowned. He didn't like this guy... He was too... Friendly. In these conditions, no one should act like that.

"No, I'm perfectly fine by myself. I'm taking him back home." Phoebe glared at the man. How dare he think she had kidnapped the boy! If she had had it her way, he would have stayed in his Utopia like a god damn Topi boy! The pink eyed girl kept the weapon trained on the man. "Now, I asked you, who are you and what are you doing here?" She growled.

"I am Bob, and I'm just looking for a good time." He said innocently as a rock behind Noah rose into the air while Noah kept a wary eye on the man. He noticed the shift in his gaze. What is he looking at? Noah wondered.

"Of course you are." Phoebe noticed the rock before glancing back at 'Bob'. "I'd suggest you start to leave and put the rock down. We wouldn't want to hurt somebody." The man was starting to anger her. She was tempted to just pull him into a vision, but she didn't want to feel sick for the next 12 hours.

He frowned. "How'd you know?" The rock crept closer to Noah's head.
Noah stepped left. "Put the rock down." He said sternly.
Surprised by the boy's tone and his knowledge of his powers, Bob dropped the rock. That only made him upset. "How dare you take that tone with me!!"

"How dare you try to hurt someone with your powers!" Phoebe was not happy. "That kind of behavior is the whole reason we get shunned!" She kept the weapon trained on him. She had never liked dealing with others like him. Taking a deep breath, Phoebe gave the man a low growl. "Now, if you could please leave, we'll be on our way."

He glanced at the weapon, then Pheobe's face, then Noah. He glared at them before turning and scampering off.
Noah looked at the rock. He kicked it. "Huh." That was scary... He thought to himself.

Phoebe watched him go before sighing. "Come on. The faster we get to a Utopia, the faster we get you home, and the less likely someone is going to try that again." She started toward the nearest Utopia. She kept her eyes out for any more "Bob"s. She didn't want to take the Topi boy back bruised and broken.

Noah followed close beside her. "Is every day like this?" He asked, feeling sorry for her. It wasn't fair, he thought. He wanted to do something about it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.